Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dashonte Riley? Which 2 schools?  (Read 20864 times)

MUBasketball

• All American
Re: Dashonte Riley? Which 2 schools?
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
GOMU, I feel you, this team needs another guard. I guarantee the coaches are aware of this fact, so given that they are aggressively pursuing Riley as well as many other guards...it would appear the writing is on the wall that 2 more will be added to next year's class.

Hate to speculate, of course, but if there was only 1 opening that they knew about, they'd be going exclusively for a guard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »
GOMU, I feel you, this team needs another guard. I guarantee the coaches are aware of this fact, so given that they are aggressively pursuing Riley as well as many other guards...it would appear the writing is on the wall that 2 more will be added to next year's class.

Hate to speculate, of course, but if there was only 1 opening that they knew about, they'd be going exclusively for a guard.

Why do you think this team needs another guard next year?
Next year's sqaud will, barring transfers, include Acker, Cubillan, Cadougan, Buycks and Butler. If his recruiting is any indication, Buzz is switching to a traditional two-guard lineup next year. That being the case, why is five players at two spots cause for alarm? Doesn't seem like any less of a deficiency than have six guards to cover a three-guard lineup this year.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
Why do you think this team needs another guard next year?
Next year's sqaud will, barring transfers, include Acker, Cubillan, Cadougan, Buycks and Butler. If his recruiting is any indication, Buzz is switching to a traditional two-guard lineup next year. That being the case, why is five players at two spots cause for alarm? Doesn't seem like any less of a deficiency than have six guards to cover a three-guard lineup this year.

That's true, Pakuni. I shouldn't say "need", but it would be nice just to cover all the bases.

I love the direction the roster is taking.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »
you could even go a step further, Pakuni, and say he's going to a one guard, 3 athletic shooters/drivers lineup.  Buzz has said multiple times that he isn't recruiting positions, he's recruiting players. The lineup of the future here is more likely a point, 2 athletic wings, and a big.  The 5th spot on the floor is for whoever is the best "player", whether that be a big, 2 guard, wing, etc.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
I think it's beyond obvious why we need another guard. Acker can't shoot or defend and Cooby is practically unplayable. Acker will get some minutes, but having a combo guard to serve as the primary backup for Buycks and Junior is a must!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2009, 11:54:36 PM »
wow Boone why don't you tell us how you really feel about Acker.

He is serviceable, especially as a bench player, which is what he'd be next year.

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Afraid I have to agree with Boone. Acker and Cubian have regressed to the point that they're hard to watch. Maybe its too much bench time and they just need to get the rust out, but its scary to think about next year. Hopefully the new guys will be able to step in immediately.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2009, 09:10:23 AM »
Regressed? are you serious? When have you seen Acker as a starting PG play most of the game and keep his team within 4 points of taking down a top 10 team.

When has Cubillian been anything but a spark off the bench?  Yes, his shooting has been rough, but he just went through a double shoulder surgery less than a year ago (IIRC).  I'm thinking a lot of players would have just thrown in the towel if that happened to them.

The team is set up really well next year, and definitely more balanced than in years past.  Its true that the team will be 'young' but thats what happens when you lose 4 starting seniors.  It isn't like this day wasn't 4 years in the making.

I am very happy with who we have next year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
Afraid I have to agree with Boone. Acker and Cubian have regressed to the point that they're hard to watch. Maybe its too much bench time and they just need to get the rust out, but its scary to think about next year. Hopefully the new guys will be able to step in immediately.

In fact, Acker has played about as well as one could expect since DJ went down.
He's shot 3-for-7 from three-point range (43 percent) and produced seven assists against two turnovers. Had Jerel had something other than a dreadful shooting performance against Louisville, that assist-to-turnover ratio almost certainly would have been even better. He did an excellent job handling Louisville's press Sunday and he's even snared six boards in his last two games.
He's not DJ, and he's never going to be, so it would be unfair to expect similar production out of him or for him to run the offense nearly as well.
But to say he's "regressed to the point he's hard to watch" is way off the mark.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
When has Cubillian been anything but a spark off the bench? 

Any example from the 2008-2009 season would be appreciated.  It isn't his fault that he got injured, but to say he has been a spark or a contributor isn't accurate. 

I would like a "spark" to provide more than 2 points, 1 assist & 1 steal in 55 minutes of Big East play.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2009, 10:38:19 AM »
Any example from the 2008-2009 season would be appreciated.  It isn't his fault that he got injured, but to say he has been a spark or a contributor isn't accurate. 

I would like a "spark" to provide more than 2 points, 1 assist & 1 steal in 55 minutes of Big East play.

I think Hards is saying Cubillan, even at the best moments in his MU career, has never been more than an occasional spark off the bench.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
Fair point.

I am still hoping we sign Mr.Riley.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »
Sorry Hards_Alumni but Acker is, at best, a 10 min a game guy.  He simply is way toooo small to play BE defense.  Its no accident that the last 2 games Price and Mc Gee had him for lunch.  His D on McGee was just terrible.  He could not stop McGee from getting in the lane.  If he is on Fields tonight, I expect Fields to have a big game and so does Vegas.  Have you seen the line?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 11:29:36 AM »
Acker's best as a change of pace guy at 8-10 minutes per game. Beyond that you're asking for trouble. Cooby's best days are long gone; let's hope we have 2 scholorships to play w/this spring.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »
Acker handled himself fine playing for Ball State as a freshman.  Now that he is getting consistent minutes he will gain confidence not only in his shot but his overall game.  He's a scrappy player, but he's the best option and only real PG we have available to play, even in the big east.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »
wow man, I never said he should be our starter, but apprecite what he just did against UL, a TOUGH opponent.  What do you suggest?  Who should be trot out there that is going to be better than Acker?

no one.

He kept the team running, and kept us within 4.

If McNeal has an average game and we beat UL we aren't even having this discussion.  No, he didn't lock down Price, but lets be real, we never expected him to.  Price is an NBA talent so I'm not sure what this discussion is even about.

He isn't James, but no one expects him to be.  James is one of the best, if not THE BEST defensive PG in the nation.  Did you think there wouldn't be some sort of major drop off between James and Acker?  Furthermore, There is no one better than Acker on the bench.  I'm not trying to imply or state that he is the savior of the team, but to say he has 'regressed' implys that he was some amazing talent to begin with.

In my world, words have meanings.  Choose them appropriately or you will look foolish.  I expect some sort of linear thinking from an MU student or alum.

MUWARRIORS4ME

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
this is a board about Riley, not the discussion of Mo or Cubes...

please refer to other boards and leave this for riley information only.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »
thanks mod!

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »
relax Hards.  The point of my post is that we need a guard not another big. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
relax Hards.  The point of my post is that we need a guard not another big. 

funny, because you don't mention that at all.

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
am i correct in saying that Riley is making his decision on March 9th? if not, when did he say he was going to decide. thanks
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2009, 02:57:28 PM »
Hards--on February 26 on the Just Saw DaShonte Riley topic, I said we NEEDED A GUARD and not another big--I guess you just forgot.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »
Riley will be a super player for MU!  He will help MU continue to be a top 10 team.  Hope he commits on March 9th.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
Hards--on February 26 on the Just Saw DaShonte Riley topic, I said we NEEDED A GUARD and not another big--I guess you just forgot.

Ok, then I can understand what you are talking about... but still man, you have to admit, that is a bit of a stretch for people to read every topic and remember every post from every person.

anyway, I still disagree.  We have guards, I'd take the big.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
Anyone know how guys like Shane Battier and CWebb were recruited when coming out of Detroit Country Day?  I realize I'm probably dreaming but it'd be something to get a talent like that on our team.

feedback