[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

should Marquette retire Dominic James' #?

yes
94 (66.2%)
no
48 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: should Marquette retire Dominic James' #?  (Read 8909 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: should Marquette retire Dominic James' #?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:25 AM »
Tony Miller's #10 should be up there as well. Always thought he got lost in the shuffle, but if he's not the best PG in MU history he's a close second.

I'm a big Tony Miller fan......but he's not the 2nd best PG to ever play at MU -- and it's not even close.....Not with this heritage (in no particular order):  Meminger, Lee, Rivers, Diener, James, Smith.

You can make a case for Tony as #4, maybe.  But I wont take that either.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
do not retire James' number.

I love the kid, and all he has done.

but, retiring jerseys for the sake of retiring jerseys is lame.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
He was Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American. All his other all-america honors that year were pre-season teams.

I'm aware of that.  MU has always counted the Honorable Mention All-Americans, and even things like Street & Smiths or Chuck Taylor All Americans on the same level as the guys that made one of the top teams.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 08:47:05 AM »
I'm a big Tony Miller fan......but he's not the 2nd best PG to ever play at MU -- and it's not even close.....Not with this heritage (in no particular order):  Meminger, Lee, Rivers, Diener, James, Smith.

You can make a case for Tony as #4, maybe.  But I wont take that either.

Oooh.... I don't know. I'd put him behind Meminger and maybe Diener. Smith, Rivers, and Lee all played more of the 2 guard I thought. He's still, over 4 years, more of a pure PG than James has been. We could use his one man destruction of the Pitino press on Sunday  ;)

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 11:00:18 AM »
All Jersey retirements should be done with some perspective.   There should be a minimum of five years before a player is eligible to have his jersey retired.   By that time, the team has cycled through every player that may have played with the person in question and the retired jersey player moves into the category of elder statesman of the program.  For the record, I think Wade was done too quick and for the wrong reason.  It was a PR stunt for the program, rather than truly honoring Wade.

With that said, when the five years is up, I think all three amigos should be retired at the same time on one banner.   Each made the others better...the whole is greater than the sum of the three individual parts.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 11:06:16 AM »
With that said, when the five years is up, I think all three amigos should be retired at the same time on one banner.   Each made the others better...the whole is greater than the sum of the three individual parts.

With Dwight Burke too of course.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
If you can't retire it for a player that's going to be 3rd in scoring, 2nd in assists, 1st in games played etc.  Then who can you retire it for?
+1000

I think some of you guys are missing DJ's place in history.

Very few players have had the steady consistency and impact he has had for 4 years.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:08 AM »
Tony Miller? Come on, that is taking things way too far. Post Al/Pre Crean the only deserving player is DWade. Diener was great college player, but not worthy of retiring jersey. Tony Smith had a great senior year but competition was much less than today.

McNeal would get my vote but it would be five years from now. Retired numbers ae for legends and few make the grade in my mind. Lucas was not deserving based on MU body of work and same holds true to Doc. Earl Tatum was awesome but not even close to be worthy of that honor. Who are we going to retire next Chris Crawford?

For a period MU used retired jersey's and reunion nights for great teams to get some attendance. Those days are over I hope. 1st team all Americans that win a ton get retired.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »

TOO SOON...... let the dust settle and get emotion out of it

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »
Tony Miller? Come on, that is taking things way too far. Post Al/Pre Crean the only deserving player is DWade. Diener was great college player, but not worthy of retiring jersey. Tony Smith had a great senior year but competition was much less than today.

McNeal would get my vote but it would be five years from now. Retired numbers ae for legends and few make the grade in my mind. Lucas was not deserving based on MU body of work and same holds true to Doc. Earl Tatum was awesome but not even close to be worthy of that honor. Who are we going to retire next Chris Crawford?

For a period MU used retired jersey's and reunion nights for great teams to get some attendance. Those days are over I hope. 1st team all Americans that win a ton get retired.

exactly

mu1642

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
You have top retire all three at one time@@@@

reinko

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Just retire the #46.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
Tony Miller? Come on, that is taking things way too far.

Not that far-fetched.

-Four year starter
-123 games played
-Two NCAA bids
-Sweet 16
-NIT Runner Up
-1,000 point scorer
-956 career assists- 300 more than Dominic in 2nd
-561 rebounds
-8th in career steals
-8th in 3pt made

Pretty decent resume. It depends on the approach, if we gonna retire a bunch of jerseys rather than numbers, he's gotta be in the discussion.

*disclaimer- my favorite MU player until Wade got here*

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
MUFan12---You are not alone in liking Tony Miller. Obviously many of us have favorites from our younger days and can understand those like Miller. My only point is that he really is not even top 5 in his position in school history, or if so, just barely. Different era when he played and unfortunately for him it was a good but not great era.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
I would like to see some sort of recognition that takes the three amigos as a group.   Maybe a cool sombrero or something. ;D     Seriously, you can't have one without the other two. 

They should all have their jersey retired individually, but all on the same night.

We are in for some dark days ahead when those 3 graduate.
We Are Marquette

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »
dark days?  get some facts and then come back and see me.  next year will not be nearly as successful as this year, but the program as a whole is in great shape.  maybe hazy days, as far as seeing how the recruits and buzz pan out, but all in all, not much to be worried about.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
I didn't want to start on a thread on this as I know its too soon for such talk, but who will be our starter at the #2 next year?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »
i would guess buycks or butler.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »

Earl Tatum was a first team All American and won a ton, how is he not worthy?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
I like the sombrero in the rafters with their numbers on it.
However, retiring his jersey will be dependent on what happens in post-season.  If the team (even w/o him) goes far, I think the odds go up. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
Earl Tatum was a first team All American and won a ton, how is he not worthy?

outstanding response.  leading the team to a title game might have helped too, eh?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
If you can't retire it for a player that's going to be 3rd in scoring, 2nd in assists, 1st in games played etc.  Then who can you retire it for?

Exactly what I would say.  He has the numbers.  I would wait 5 years at least, but he should get it.

Incidentally, remember all the crap about Wade being retired in just a few years.  If we waited 5 years, it would be right about now....right in the middle of his very ugly divorce, etc.  Sometimes timing works out just right.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »
I don't think it should be limited to all-Americans only, though I think anyone that does reach that status should automatically get it (North Carolina hangs the jersey in the rafters of any player that is 1st or 2nd team All America, or an MVP of a national title team, or a member of a Gold Medal Olympic team).  Note, I said hung in the rafters, doesn't mean the jersey is retired.

UNC has only retired 7 jerseys but 43 are hung in the rafters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honored_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_men%27s_basketball_players