Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

should Marquette retire Dominic James' #?

yes
94 (66.2%)
no
48 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: should Marquette retire Dominic James' #?  (Read 8886 times)

muPARTY

• Starter
should Marquette retire Dominic James' #?
« on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »
Does Dominic deserve (or has he earned) the right to be honored like Wade, Kojis, Rivers, Thompson, Ellis, Lee, Tatum, Meminger, and Lucas?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: should Marquette retire Dominic James' #?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »
Fourth in all time steals.
Third in all-time points.
Second in all-time assists.
First in all-time games played.

I'd say his numbers justify it based on who is already in. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:11:22 PM by TallTitan34 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »
Well, McNeal needs to be retired right?  Can you just retire one or two of the three without the others?  And they really won't retire the number...just the "jersey."

And on top of that, Tony Smith's number needs to be up there too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »
I would like to see some sort of recognition that takes the three amigos as a group.   Maybe a cool sombrero or something. ;D     Seriously, you can't have one without the other two. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »
Retire DJ's jersey - YES--Eventually. 

Wait 3 to 5 years to make sure his career gets put in perspective and that he stays out of trouble. (I add this last part for anyone--I'm not implying that he's heading for trouble anymore than the next guy)
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
Honestly....whoever voted "no" need to have their heads examined.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
it's too soon for this poll.  right now, emotions are high, and most will vote "yes."  2 weeks ago, i bet most would have said "no."  jersey retirements, in my mind should be a slam dunk, i.e., you ask 100 people, and they all say "hell yes, without a doubt!"  I'll let it all sink in and reflect on it a few years down the line.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »
Is Diener's going up as well?

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 05:41:28 PM »
it's too soon for this poll.  right now, emotions are high, and most will vote "yes."  2 weeks ago, i bet most would have said "no."  jersey retirements, in my mind should be a slam dunk, i.e., you ask 100 people, and they all say "hell yes, without a doubt!"  I'll let it all sink in and reflect on it a few years down the line.

Agreed. This poll would have been laughed at after the Depaul, USF, or Seton Hall games, when James flat out stunk.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
Is Diener's going up as well?

I would say Tony Smith and Travis Diener would have to go up there before any of the current guys.  

Maybe they could do something together with the three of them although I'm not sure what that would be, possibly 09 for their graduating year or something like that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
Even though he was a lousy Crean recruit, I did vote yes.  ;) I would wait 5 years.  In my mind, Jerel and DJ both get retired.  I love Wes, think he could be a nice pro, not sure if he warrants retirement of a jersey....at least not yet.

Oh, and we don't retire numbers, we retire jerseys.....or is it the other way around?   :P

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
I think we should take the route of other big hoops programs and retire a bunch of jerseys.

I think James, McNeal, Matthews all deserve it. Diener and Smith as well. Their numbers all justify it.

Tony Miller's #10 should be up there as well. Always thought he got lost in the shuffle, but if he's not the best PG in MU history he's a close second.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:07:11 PM by MUfan12 »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
All three amigos were, IMO, better college players than Doc Rivers, and if he's earned the honor, so have they.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »
All three amigos were, IMO, better college players than Doc Rivers, and if he's earned the honor, so have they.

Wes might not have the stats... but when he ends up on the Board of Trustees it'll get done ;)

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »
Even though he was a lousy Crean recruit, I did vote yes.  ;) I would wait 5 years.  In my mind, Jerel and DJ both get retired.  I love Wes, think he could be a nice pro, not sure if he warrants retirement of a jersey....at least not yet.

Oh, and we don't retire numbers, we retire jerseys.....or is it the other way around?   :P

i'm with you on bothe the jerel and wes front.  

you leave MU as the career leading scorer and is such a force on defense, Jerel should be a lock.

Wes's year this season has been phenominal.  his first 3 were good, but nothing stand out.  Cubillan had bigger influences than Wes did.  would like to think about where the team would be, and what they would have done, if he had 4 stellar seasons.

James... man... i don't know.  TT posted where he ranks within MU's all time.  plus his leadership and defense are things you can't put a # on.  not to mention being the freak of nature athlete that he is.

but... his scoring went down each year.  this year, he isn't even the 3rd option.  he's hit clutch shots, but he's not the guy i'd want taking the last shot.  his shoot selection wasn't great many (..many) times.  his three point % and free throw shooting was dismal at best.

if Dj was in the mlb, he'd be one of those players who get debated for all 15yrs for the HoF with his type of #s

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
No
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 07:24:56 AM »
i'm with you on bothe the jerel and wes front.  

you leave MU as the career leading scorer and is such a force on defense, Jerel should be a lock.

Wes's year this season has been phenominal.  his first 3 were good, but nothing stand out.  Cubillan had bigger influences than Wes did.  would like to think about where the team would be, and what they would have done, if he had 4 stellar seasons.

James... man... i don't know.  TT posted where he ranks within MU's all time.  plus his leadership and defense are things you can't put a # on.  not to mention being the freak of nature athlete that he is.

but... his scoring went down each year.  this year, he isn't even the 3rd option.  he's hit clutch shots, but he's not the guy i'd want taking the last shot.  his shoot selection wasn't great many (..many) times.  his three point % and free throw shooting was dismal at best.

You cannot just look at a players scoring numbers to see how worthy they are.  Yeah his scoring went down.  But he's also developed himself into more of a true point guard.  His assists are up, his ratio is WAY up, and his defense is outstanding.

To take the baseball analogy further, it would be like looking at declining home run totals while ignoring a higher on base average and multiple gold glove awards.  DJ is a better all around player now than he was as a freshman.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
Cubillan had bigger influences than Wes did.
::)

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »
I know I'm in the minority but I think retiring jerseys and numbers should be reserved for only those who have been all-americans.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:11 AM »
Does Dominic deserve (or has he earned) the right to be honored like Wade, Kojis, Rivers, Thompson, Ellis, Lee, Tatum, Meminger, and Lucas?

What's the hurry?  MU is still wiping the egg off its academic face from the Dwyane Wade fiasco.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »
You can't retire every four year starter/ significant contributor. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 08:14:16 AM »
I know I'm in the minority but I think retiring jerseys and numbers should be reserved for only those who have been all-americans.

James was an All American in 2006-07.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 08:15:28 AM »
You can't retire every four year starter/ significant contributor. 

If you can't retire it for a player that's going to be 3rd in scoring, 2nd in assists, 1st in games played etc.  Then who can you retire it for?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:12 AM »
If you can't retire it for a player that's going to be 3rd in scoring, 2nd in assists, 1st in games played etc.  Then who can you retire it for?

And a kid who was an AA, BE ROY, first-team all Big East twice......not to mention being the key to MU's success in the BIG EAST from the opening tap of his career.

Plus, he'll graduate on time.

He's earned it.

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »
James was an All American in 2006-07.

He was Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American. All his other all-america honors that year were pre-season teams.

feedback