[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Favorite DJames memory?  (Read 14331 times)

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
Favorite DJames memory?
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
Maybe this is too soon and "remember when" may truly be the lowest form of conversation (per Sopranos), but I need something to get me off the ledge. 

I have to go with when he scored pretty much all our points @ Valpo in the last few minutes and then hit a 3 to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oNtICtnpMU&NR=1

(this probably sticks out in my mind b/c one of my best friends went to Valpo and was so pissed off about this).

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Favorite DJames memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
Strangely, I think mine may be off the court. I loved how he stepped up when Crean left and showed the leader that he is in saying that when someone leaves we want to put it in their face, or something like that. These guys have done just that all year.

On the court, I loved the alley oop jams by a 5'11" guy.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:25:49 PM »
I loved his game at Pitt a few years back. Down by one in OT, he dribbled the clock down and drew a foul with a second left, then calmly drained both free throws to beat the hated Panthers.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »
The Valpo shot
The "Where did James come From?" dunk at Notre Dame his freshman year
Sticking it out when the program was (even though it doesn't feel so now) at a MUCH lower point last April and showing the senior leadership.
The NC State game-winner

The list could go on and on. He was a Warrior.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »
His first game, against Rice as a freshman.  A player onRice went up for a wide open jumper a foot or so inside the three point line, maybe 4 feet from the baseline.  James left his man and ran full speed from near the top of the arc, jumped and kind of floated over there to block the shot of a guy that was probably 6'6 or 6'7.  It was the first "holy sh*t" display of his athleticism that I remember.

I'd seen him in high school on video, but you never know for sure how good players are on tape.  That moment was when I knew he was something special.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
Just this year... his 3 pointer vs. NC State for the win.  The guy is/ was clutch when you needed it.

I'm not afraid to say it... I love DJ!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
Great topic......so many.......  I loved the inbounds play his freshman year under the basket at West Virginia where we threw it over the backboard to him for an alley-oop dunk..........the follow up rebound dunk at Notre Dame his freshman year......sinking the 2 free-throws with no time left to beat Pitt.....his game against Duke his Sophomore year.....Valpo ....The block at Tennessee......But mostly, his class and voice of calm, confident, reason when Crean left......People have been hard on him his 4 years here, but I've met him and I can tell you, when it matters, when no one is watching, he is as nice a human being as there is.....Love the kid...

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »
One of my favorites came in a loss @ Louisville

James hit a looong 3 to tie the game and send it into OT and then tried has damndest to win that game.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
Don't know if this is good or bad, but honestly what I will remember is what I saw tonight in the second half...he was on the bench (in Buzz's seat no less) with crutches, and after Acker hit a three, he stood up with his arm/three fingers extended well into the defensive possesion. Just pulling for his guy and being a good teammate.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:59 PM »
Don't know if this is good or bad, but honestly what I will remember is what I saw tonight in the second half...he was on the bench (in Buzz's seat no less) with crutches, and after Acker hit a three, he stood up with his arm/three fingers extended well into the defensive possesion. Just pulling for his guy and being a good teammate.

The tears in his eyes tonight said it all.

Pardner

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »
Buzz and Homer after the game was really sad.  Buzz just came out and said his "career at Marquette is over"....that his best memories of DJ was over the summer talking about life...that he is a special kid.  I swear Homer were near tears, looking for any hope in the matter...trying to coax any sort of good news from Buzz that he'll return--which there is none.  At the end, Homer mumbles "that stinks" under his breadth as Buzz signs off.   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:16:35 PM by Pardner »

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »
No doubt about it.  The Duke game at KC when DJ was a soph.  DJ just took over late in the game and helped us beat coach K in what was a "program" victory.
DJ we will missed you.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:47 PM »
Blocking that tall dude's shot this year.

geez now i'm tearing up.  i hope i can shake his hand someday.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
my favorite memory was when he was a freshman and put 20+ on DePaul at their dump of an arena... and as the crowd we stood up chanting "He's a Freshman"...  seems like this happened yesterday, where did the time go?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:25:40 PM »
His whole freshman year? I loved DJ/ The Kid from the Begining. I guess you could say is leadership and overall court presence

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »

The "Where did James come From?" dunk at Notre Dame his freshman year
 He was is a Warrior.

I was at that game, sitting next to, unexpectedly, some rather decent and knowledgeable ND recent grads.  After that dunk they were in complete awe (as was I) of his leaping abilities.  Still hard to believe that a guy that size can spring that high.
Ludum habemus.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
One of my favorites came in a loss @ Louisville

James hit a looong 3 to tie the game and send it into OT and then tried has damndest to win that game.

oh man, talk about mixed emotions.  spread for that game was something like 3 1/2.  i placed $120 on Marquette.  had he missed i still would've won.  i was syched MU had the chance to actually win after his shot, but worried if they lost by 4+ i'd be S.O.L.  in the end, S.O.L. for everyone

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »
I still remember that block from a year or two ago, during Big East play I think, were he just got up so high, floated and blocked the living sh*t out of whoever took the shot. Happened down by the baseline and was replayed during the rest of the MU highlights that year. I thought one was more impressive even than then Tenn block this year. I wish I remember the specifics of that block a little better.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 05:33:06 AM »
Last year at the Kohl center, he soared to block a shot towards the end of the game that helped to secure our win.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:46:23 AM »
There have been so many moments of amazing athleticism, leadership, grace, that to try and pick a single play seems pointless.   But for me.....

I was at the Valpo game.   'nuff said.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »
Stepping up for team day after Crean left. Awesome.

The Wisconsin game last year and "the in your face" look at Hughes.

Last night cheering on the squad.  Damn

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »
My favorite memory is I believe he made himself into the best defending point guard in MU history. He made himself into a better, more rounded player and represents Marquette at the highest level.

Last year the hiring process soured me on MU basketball and the past nine months DJ and Co. restored my love of the school and the basketball tradition.

Thanks DJ...you are one of the all-time Warriors!!!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
Dominating Paulus against Duke is my personal favorite.

I'm with those who will never forget the way he handled Crean's departure.

Class act and made me proud of my University.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »
I loved his game at Pitt a few years back. Down by one in OT, he dribbled the clock down and drew a foul with a second left, then calmly drained both free throws to beat the hated Panthers.

+1

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »
The way he took ownership this year, put the team before him, and became a great floor leader.