[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Favorite DJames memory?  (Read 14329 times)

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
Favorite DJames memory?
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
Maybe this is too soon and "remember when" may truly be the lowest form of conversation (per Sopranos), but I need something to get me off the ledge. 

I have to go with when he scored pretty much all our points @ Valpo in the last few minutes and then hit a 3 to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oNtICtnpMU&NR=1

(this probably sticks out in my mind b/c one of my best friends went to Valpo and was so pissed off about this).

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Favorite DJames memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
Strangely, I think mine may be off the court. I loved how he stepped up when Crean left and showed the leader that he is in saying that when someone leaves we want to put it in their face, or something like that. These guys have done just that all year.

On the court, I loved the alley oop jams by a 5'11" guy.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:25:49 PM »
I loved his game at Pitt a few years back. Down by one in OT, he dribbled the clock down and drew a foul with a second left, then calmly drained both free throws to beat the hated Panthers.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »
The Valpo shot
The "Where did James come From?" dunk at Notre Dame his freshman year
Sticking it out when the program was (even though it doesn't feel so now) at a MUCH lower point last April and showing the senior leadership.
The NC State game-winner

The list could go on and on. He was a Warrior.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »
His first game, against Rice as a freshman.  A player onRice went up for a wide open jumper a foot or so inside the three point line, maybe 4 feet from the baseline.  James left his man and ran full speed from near the top of the arc, jumped and kind of floated over there to block the shot of a guy that was probably 6'6 or 6'7.  It was the first "holy sh*t" display of his athleticism that I remember.

I'd seen him in high school on video, but you never know for sure how good players are on tape.  That moment was when I knew he was something special.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
Just this year... his 3 pointer vs. NC State for the win.  The guy is/ was clutch when you needed it.

I'm not afraid to say it... I love DJ!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
Great topic......so many.......  I loved the inbounds play his freshman year under the basket at West Virginia where we threw it over the backboard to him for an alley-oop dunk..........the follow up rebound dunk at Notre Dame his freshman year......sinking the 2 free-throws with no time left to beat Pitt.....his game against Duke his Sophomore year.....Valpo ....The block at Tennessee......But mostly, his class and voice of calm, confident, reason when Crean left......People have been hard on him his 4 years here, but I've met him and I can tell you, when it matters, when no one is watching, he is as nice a human being as there is.....Love the kid...

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »
One of my favorites came in a loss @ Louisville

James hit a looong 3 to tie the game and send it into OT and then tried has damndest to win that game.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
Don't know if this is good or bad, but honestly what I will remember is what I saw tonight in the second half...he was on the bench (in Buzz's seat no less) with crutches, and after Acker hit a three, he stood up with his arm/three fingers extended well into the defensive possesion. Just pulling for his guy and being a good teammate.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:59 PM »
Don't know if this is good or bad, but honestly what I will remember is what I saw tonight in the second half...he was on the bench (in Buzz's seat no less) with crutches, and after Acker hit a three, he stood up with his arm/three fingers extended well into the defensive possesion. Just pulling for his guy and being a good teammate.

The tears in his eyes tonight said it all.

Pardner

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »
Buzz and Homer after the game was really sad.  Buzz just came out and said his "career at Marquette is over"....that his best memories of DJ was over the summer talking about life...that he is a special kid.  I swear Homer were near tears, looking for any hope in the matter...trying to coax any sort of good news from Buzz that he'll return--which there is none.  At the end, Homer mumbles "that stinks" under his breadth as Buzz signs off.   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:16:35 PM by Pardner »

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »
No doubt about it.  The Duke game at KC when DJ was a soph.  DJ just took over late in the game and helped us beat coach K in what was a "program" victory.
DJ we will missed you.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:47 PM »
Blocking that tall dude's shot this year.

geez now i'm tearing up.  i hope i can shake his hand someday.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
my favorite memory was when he was a freshman and put 20+ on DePaul at their dump of an arena... and as the crowd we stood up chanting "He's a Freshman"...  seems like this happened yesterday, where did the time go?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:25:40 PM »
His whole freshman year? I loved DJ/ The Kid from the Begining. I guess you could say is leadership and overall court presence

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »

The "Where did James come From?" dunk at Notre Dame his freshman year
 He was is a Warrior.

I was at that game, sitting next to, unexpectedly, some rather decent and knowledgeable ND recent grads.  After that dunk they were in complete awe (as was I) of his leaping abilities.  Still hard to believe that a guy that size can spring that high.
Ludum habemus.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
One of my favorites came in a loss @ Louisville

James hit a looong 3 to tie the game and send it into OT and then tried has damndest to win that game.

oh man, talk about mixed emotions.  spread for that game was something like 3 1/2.  i placed $120 on Marquette.  had he missed i still would've won.  i was syched MU had the chance to actually win after his shot, but worried if they lost by 4+ i'd be S.O.L.  in the end, S.O.L. for everyone

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »
I still remember that block from a year or two ago, during Big East play I think, were he just got up so high, floated and blocked the living sh*t out of whoever took the shot. Happened down by the baseline and was replayed during the rest of the MU highlights that year. I thought one was more impressive even than then Tenn block this year. I wish I remember the specifics of that block a little better.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 05:33:06 AM »
Last year at the Kohl center, he soared to block a shot towards the end of the game that helped to secure our win.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:46:23 AM »
There have been so many moments of amazing athleticism, leadership, grace, that to try and pick a single play seems pointless.   But for me.....

I was at the Valpo game.   'nuff said.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »
Stepping up for team day after Crean left. Awesome.

The Wisconsin game last year and "the in your face" look at Hughes.

Last night cheering on the squad.  Damn

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »
My favorite memory is I believe he made himself into the best defending point guard in MU history. He made himself into a better, more rounded player and represents Marquette at the highest level.

Last year the hiring process soured me on MU basketball and the past nine months DJ and Co. restored my love of the school and the basketball tradition.

Thanks DJ...you are one of the all-time Warriors!!!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
Dominating Paulus against Duke is my personal favorite.

I'm with those who will never forget the way he handled Crean's departure.

Class act and made me proud of my University.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »
I loved his game at Pitt a few years back. Down by one in OT, he dribbled the clock down and drew a foul with a second left, then calmly drained both free throws to beat the hated Panthers.

+1

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »
The way he took ownership this year, put the team before him, and became a great floor leader.

nola03

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
Without exaggerating, there are 15-20 moments that were amazing. Just to stay recent, I'll go with:

**The block on 6'7'' Scotty Hopson of Tennessee. Hopson was downright stunned.

**The one-handed reach behind the head alley-oop from the @Villanova game. At 5'11'', it almost defies physics.

**Most importantly, I felt Dominic James was the one voice that glued the transition from Crean to Buzz for those of us who were wary of where Marquette was headed. That was maturity defined.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
His put back dunk (off a of 3 pointer....an he came out of no where!!!) at WVU his freshman year that was by far his most ridiculous play!!

Love this kid and will really miss seeing him play.

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:01 AM »
**The block on 6'7'' Scotty Hopson of Tennessee. Hopson was downright stunned.

Ditto.  One of the two times he made sports center top 10 this year.  I think the other was as a three he hit from about 40 feet out.

Dom's ability to marshall the ball this year was phenomenal, it's heartbreaking to see him out.  We will also miss his leadership on the court.  I think one of my favorite little examples was when he pulled Lazar back from getting in Harangody's face after a contested basket.  Dom thank you for four years of greatness.  You were part of what made the games so fun to watch.  You kept our team at the top for four years and made us proud of Marquette.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
The way he took ownership this year, put the team before him, and became a great floor leader.

This is what I'm going to miss most of all. What a shame. It's so unfair to this tremendous kid and tremendous athlete. He will continue to lead this team...even if it's from the bench.

Mr. Acker...Your table's ready!

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
Two moments stick out for me.

#1 The double technical at UW last year.  Hughes pissed off James, you don't want to piss off James.  I turned to my three buddies and screamed: "WE'RE GONNA WIN!!"  Sure enough, he dominated the rest of the game, fed Burke like crazy and then delivered the exclamation point with the rejection on Hughes.

#2 @DePaul his freshman year.  He was right in front of the students and the ball went out of bounds, clearly off of him.  The refs missed it and gave the ball to MU.  The students went berserk and Dom looked at them, smiled and pulled his jersey up over his smile.  Absolute stones!

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »

AMEN... DJ really showed leadership this year after Tommy left.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »
The Duke game two years ago.  He was a flat out monster.  Knocking down free throws to beat Pitt.  The list could go on and on.  The kid is a warrior and a great player.  He never shied away from a big situation and always seemed able to step up.  He's been a great leader.  It was great to get to watch him for 4 years.  Really sucks that he'll miss senior night and his last chance at NCAA glory.  Great Player.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 12:35:47 PM »
oh he'll be at senior night.  and he will get the loudest cheer that any athlete has ever heard in that stadium.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 04:31:09 PM »
I thought when he deliberately took time to go over and shake the hand of one of the Kentucky players in the NCAA tourny last year after the game.  It got a shout out from Jay Bilas on his blog as the best instance of sportsmanship at that regional.  It shows his class and represents MU well.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
January 2007 game at Pitt when he sealed the deal at the free throw line after being thugged for 38 minutes.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »
1. The Hughes block......I have that framed in my basement.
2. Valpo...clutch
3. @ NCSU
4. kicking Duke's a$$

most of all......I'll miss his moxie and the evolution of his game from scorer to distributor/defender.  Despite the critics, his game improved annually and he became such a well-rounded player.  He's been a tremendous player for MU rah-rah.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
When little shaq got to meet him at the open scrimmage this past fall.  Little shaq was really sad last night when he learned his favorite player had broken his foot.  He loved the fact that DJ was a little guy with "superhero strength  and jumping ability."  If you've ever had a chance to meet DJ, you realize quickly what a great kid he is. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
When little shaq got to meet him at the open scrimmage this past fall.  Little shaq was really sad last night when he learned his favorite player had broken his foot.  He loved the fact that DJ was a little guy with "superhero strength  and jumping ability."  If you've ever had a chance to meet DJ, you realize quickly what a great kid he is. 

A great memory...my kids met DJ a few yrs ago as well, he was very nice to them.  DJ took a photo with my oldest son -- I sent it to DJ hoping he'd autograph it....he did, and sent it back to me.  The photo is framed in my son's room.

Needless to say, my guy is not happy today.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 01:35:06 AM »
Listening to Homer and Mac call the games from the computer on my kitchen table, and all the times Homer would gush "Oh, BABY!!," and then describe the latest indescribable thing James just did.  I loved his will.  The way he went about his business, coming back to improve his game, naysayers be damned, and leading this team the way he did, spoke volumes about his heart and character, and I think MU fans around the country admire him for that, as much as for the excitement he created on the court. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:55:10 AM by MOwarrior »

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 04:39:53 AM »
I will never forget the game against Valpo. DJ took over that game. Most importantly for me is the picture on the left of MUScoop. DJ was pointing up to me and the other MU fans around me. Probably in my top 3 of college memories. Dominique, I am pointing back at you. Thank you for everything.