[Today at 04:14:05 PM]

Incoming freshmen by BCHoopster
[Today at 04:07:40 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 02:48:09 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 08:27:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Am I the only one tired of the 'dumb' Buzz...  (Read 5598 times)

iammartino

• Walk-On
Am I the only one tired of the 'dumb' Buzz...
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
How much longer can Buzz keep letting the world know how 'dumb' he is? Almost every interview he gives this stock answer comes out in some way...we get it already. You can only drop this so many times before the effective value of that statement gets watered down...

"And that’s the way I’ve always been. I’ve never asked for a dollar on any job, and probably been overpaid at every job because I’m not smart enough to be in any other profession. But when you talk about pressure, it’s the guys at the Milwaukee Fire Department, when they’re trying to save a kid’s life when a building’s burning up. This stuff right here? We’re all overpaid, if you really want to break it down. We’re all overpaid.

Coleman

• All American
Re: Am I the only one tired of the 'dumb' Buzz...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »
What's wrong with that? I agree wholeheartedly with him. Not Buzz's fault...but it says something about our society's priorities when college basketball coaches are making millions and teachers, police officers, fire fighters, etc. are making $30,000. Again, if it is being offered to you and you are fortunate enough to be in the situation, by all means take advantage of it. But it does say something about our society.

iammartino

• Walk-On
The sentiment is awesome...the delivery is tiring
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:46:27 AM »
If you read the articles from the past year you will see too many instances where buzz refers to his 'un'intelligence..clearly, the man is not dumb, his rhetoric is just tiring.

Not arguing about the message, just the delivery

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »
I have to agree. Self deprecation is fine, but when he goes to that well in every interview it starts to sound 1) disingenuous or 2) and far worse, like Lou Holtz.

I'm thrilled with what Buzz has done thus far, so this isn't a slam Buzz post. I just find myself starting to cringe when I hear him go down that road again in every interview. Probably just a way for him to try to take the pressure off himself. Humility is great, but if you tell people you're dumb enough times they may actually start to agree with you.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »
If he were losing and saying "I'm not smart enough" they would be showing him the door.  Just keep winning Buzz and say whatever you want.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »
or maybe if you say someone else should not say they are dumb too many times people will think you are actually the dumb one.

Shut up about Buzz already.  At least the guy has some character and personality versus the social misfit dickhead we had before  wathc his press conference after the wisconsin game and then complain about Buzz

iammartino

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
It is a discussion of oratory...not character...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Izzo, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Mateen & Charlie Bell, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Mike McCarthy, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Ben Sheets, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Tony LaRussa, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve and Dwyane.

That better for you?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 08:40:15 AM »
well then compare it to the oratory, character, recruiting and the inablity to coach one'self out of a wet paper bag of our old coach......

In case you forgot who is was talking about here is the a-hole in full glory

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/That-s-Tom-Crean-in-the-spotlight-losing-his-re?urn=ncaab,142888

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Izzo, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Mateen & Charlie Bell, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Mike McCarthy, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Ben Sheets, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Tony LaRussa, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve, Dwyane, Travis, Steve and Dwyane.

That better for you?

H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.  Did you know that he married a Harbaugh?

Both Coach John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy were seated behind the Hoosier bench @ West Lafayette.  Made me want to throw up.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
well then compare it to the oratory, character, recruiting and the inablity to coach one'self out of a wet paper bag of our old coach......

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/That-s-Tom-Crean-in-the-spotlight-losing-his-re?urn=ncaab,142888

Has he ever heard collar stays?  I'm just sayin'

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
I don't follow every interview of his anymore so I'm not getting annoyed by any "dumbing down" that may be going on.   Only dumb I care about with him is his coaching intelligence and so far he doesn't seem to be dumb in generating an efficient offense and hasn't totally goofed on sub rotation, etc.   

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »
Has he ever heard collar stays?  I'm just sayin'

Are you saying that shoud be a bigger priority than learning how to tie a tie?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
I have to agree. Self deprecation is fine, but when he goes to that well in every interview it starts to sound 1) disingenuous or 2) and far worse, like Lou Holtz.

I'm thrilled with what Buzz has done thus far, so this isn't a slam Buzz post. I just find myself starting to cringe when I hear him go down that road again in every interview. Probably just a way for him to try to take the pressure off himself. Humility is great, but if you tell people you're dumb enough times they may actually start to agree with you.

Lou won national championships... Would anyone like one?  I know I would.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
I love how Buzz approaches life and coaching.  It is exaclty what Wisconsin and America needs and loves...Humble men just happy to be given opportunities.

It sure beats the look at me tan man.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
Think about it.  Buzz is essentially a rookie coach with his first real head coaching gig, going up against hall-of-famers in the country's toughest league.  If he pretended he was smarter/wiser than the others, he would be labeled as foolish.  Even the other prominent rookie coach in the league, Keno Davis,  got COY last year. 

I think he is smart but he probably doesn't feel he has the street cred until he coaches a team to some sort of success or wins some award or something.  Then, I predict, he will get a little less humble. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »

Shut up about Buzz already.  

Ah, if only you would shut up about Crean....already

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
do you feel you need to defend every Crean post?  Your passive-agressive posts scattered thoughout this board and your luke warm at best aceptance of the job Buzz has done and the unwillingness to admit those of us that said Buzz would hit a homerun is sad.   

BTW why are you even here anymore now that your man crush is at indiana you should be all set?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
I'd rather MU's coach be self-depricating to a fault than telling people to shut up for asking a question he didn't like.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:56:40 PM »
I'm not trying to get into Buzz's head, but I'm guessing his comments give great insight into his mindset this year.  He got mad at Mac because he "thought" Mac was questioning his teams ability to focus, and he keep calling himself "dumb" in comparison to TC.  I interpret that as, my players are great, don't question their effort or focus, and to all the people who said MU was in trouble when TC left and they hired Buzz, you can now watch dumb Buzz win game after game...

I think it's a total motivational mindset he has this year, as the underdog who fans and alumni overwhelming questioned from the start, and he continues to say how great TC is and how dumb he is, while TC is struggling and Buzz is taking this team to a new level.  Am I sick of it?  YES! Do I think he'll grow out of it in time?  YES!

There were many on this site who were willing to let him treat Mac like crap because he was winning games.  Frankly, if he keeps winning and recruiting he can probably get away with what Bobby Knight did for so long at IU.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »
If he were losing and saying "I'm not smart enough" they would be showing him the door.  Just keep winning Buzz and say whatever you want.

We will see how smart he is next year when he has a young team!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
Your passive-agressive posts scattered thoughout this board and your luke warm at best aceptance of the job Buzz has done and the unwillingness to admit those of us that said Buzz would hit a homerun is sad.   

Such as starting threads like this:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=12828.0

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »
We know, and Buzz knows, that Buzz is not dumb.  It's a tactic - it allows everyone to forgive him in case something does get screwed up; it takes people off-guard.  It shows he appreciats what he has.  Buzz is basketball sharp, and that's good enough for me, even if he calls himself a dumb ole boy.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »
I think its a lot better than being a cocky jerk all the time. I love the way buzz acts and how polite and humble he is. I think he feels that he has to act this way because he doesn't think he has earned the respect of everybody yet.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »

getting your ass kicked every night catches up to you. He was probably more pissed Bo Ryan blew him out.

feedback