[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MUScoop Annoyance  (Read 3121 times)

GGGG

• All American
MUScoop Annoyance
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »
Apparently every game MU plays in is the worst refereed game of all time.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
Re: MUScoop Annoyance
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:01 AM »
I haven't read anyone really bitching about last night's officiating...  ?-(

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:23 AM »
I did ... but it was more out of annoyance than anger.  They were bad last night, but we came out on top so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Keith

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »
I normally defend the officiating.

having said that, last night was pretty awful.

coaches don't get side bars with officials every 5 minutes... this was completley unprofessional on both the coach and official's part.

I understand being consistant with 'letting them play' or 'being ticky tack'.

but the fact that the game was stopped on multiple occasions at Gonzo's behest, was completely rediculous.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »
I normally defend the officiating.
I never blame a loss on the officials.  Bad calls or not, the team should still be able to bounce back.

Keith

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »
I agree with the post-loss criticism of officials being over done however, last night those guys were awful.  As already pointed out, the fact that Gonzalez continually interrupted the flow of the game to either share his mind or get an explanation from a ref was ridiculous.

I forget the exact moment of the first half, but DJ made a 3 in front of the SH bench, play continued and MU fouled SH on their next shot attempt...they missed their first FT attempt and Gonzalez kept whining and then they stopped play to review DJ's shot...they confirmed it was a 3 but the fact that it took the next posession and a missed FT to review it, only on the request of Gonzalez, was ridiculous.  There should be a limit where they can no longer review a previous play...similar to replay in the NFL...if it's not reviewed prior to the next snap then the play stands as called.

It seems like the refs have been inconsistent in how they call the game....letting the teams play more in the first half and then dominating the game with constant whistles in the second half....I think we were in the bonus at the 14 minute mark...awful.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:37:41 AM »
There should be a limit where they can no longer review a previous play...similar to replay in the NFL...if it's not reviewed prior to the next snap then the play stands as called.
It literally brought back horrible memories of a Browns game where the Ref "didn't feel the buzzer (<2min booth request) before the next play started".  He let the play run then said they were going back two plays.  They overturned whatever the call was, and that's why they only give our plastic cups at Cleveland Browns Stadium ... every plastic MGD and Lite bottle was on the field that night.

Cleveland lost that game as a result ... even ESPN agreed the Browns should've won, and Lord knows that rarely/never happens.

Keith

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:40:52 AM »
I agree with the post-loss criticism of officials being over done however, last night those guys were awful.  As already pointed out, the fact that Gonzalez continually interrupted the flow of the game to either share his mind or get an explanation from a ref was ridiculous.
Agreed.  The ref (Cahill?) was beyond belief in the time that he spent with Gonzalez and impeded the flow of the game.  Gonzalez was using him and he did not catch on.

OregonWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
It was a poorly officiated game but in no way did it lead to our sub-par first half or excellent second half. Gonzalez should not have been granted so much leniency in terms of time with the officials. He was milking it for all it was worth when he should have been trying to figure out why his team kept throwing the ball away on every other possession of the second half. 

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »
I try to steer clear of criticizing refs as well, especially late in close games, but last night WAS deserving of criticism. We rolled in the second half and I can still say it was one of the more poorly officiated games in my two years in the student section, for sure.  Gonzales would ask for clarification on EVERY call, and not only would he ask, but he would GET clarification on every call.  The fact that they stopped play 30 seconds later (between free throws, mind you) to review James' three pointer just to appease Gonzales was ridiculous.

The fifth foul (that led to the double technical on Seton Hall) WAS called on the wrong guy.

The situation where the Seton Hall player saved the ball TO HIMSELF and possession was given to SH? Ridiculous.  The SH player even let the ball bounce knowing he couldn't touch it until he realized he had no choice, and to everyone's surprise (including him) there was no call and SH was granted possession.

LON

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »
I try to steer clear of criticizing refs as well, especially late in close games, but last night WAS deserving of criticism. We rolled in the second half and I can still say it was one of the more poorly officiated games in my two years in the student section, for sure.  Gonzales would ask for clarification on EVERY call, and not only would he ask, but he would GET clarification on every call.  The fact that they stopped play 30 seconds later (between free throws, mind you) to review James' three pointer just to appease Gonzales was ridiculous.

The fifth foul (that led to the double technical on Seton Hall) WAS called on the wrong guy.

The situation where the Seton Hall player saved the ball TO HIMSELF and possession was given to SH? Ridiculous.  The SH player even let the ball bounce knowing he couldn't touch it until he realized he had no choice, and to everyone's surprise (including him) there was no call and SH was granted possession.

I almost lost my voice on the tipping to himself play...

And to make it worse they convened and decided that it should be SH ball!

Another thing that irked me, when the kid went down under his hoop and was "writhing" in pain they stopped play when SH had control of the ball again.  So after that stop, why was the kid allowed to stay in the game?  Shouldn't he have been substituted since he was the reason for the stoppage?

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
I had to watch this over the internet, so it wasn't always clear.  It was, even in the degraded format, a very rough game that had gotten out of control early.  The calls went both ways, but the two previously mentioned plays by Lancesothernut had me laughing they were so poorly called.

Do the refs review the games afterwords?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Apparently every game MU plays in is the worst refereed game of all time.

Well, at least we're consistent, win or lose  ;D

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »
I was watching ESPN Classic the other day and saw a much younger Higgins doing a game. :) I just laughed.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 11:06:17 PM »
I was watching ESPN Classic the other day and saw a much younger Higgins doing a game. :) I just laughed.

how did he look in B&W?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:23 PM »
This thread is horrible.
Nearly as bad as the officiating Tuesday night.  ;)

feedback