[Today at 04:11:02 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[Today at 02:56:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:29:07 PM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James Was Outstanding Last Night  (Read 15838 times)

1617novakn

• Walk-On
Re: Dominic James Was Outstanding Last Night
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »
Of course I don't watch every Eric Maynor game, but it would take A LOT of dumb mistakes to nullify 23 PPG and 6 assists. Plus, I watched him destroy Duke in the tournament....as a sophomore.

DJ does not have the decision making ability to give his stats a premium to compete with 20 PPG, better shooting, and nearly the same amount of assits.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 03:05:41 PM »
Can't wait until we see the next MU point guard end up with a stat line like that.

His name is Junior Cadougan

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 03:12:48 PM »
what is the proper way to textual express complete and utter shock, mixed with laughter?

Stephen Curry....and his 30 ppg....you wouldn't take that over DJ and his 2.5/1 assit to turnover and 11 ppg? I can't believe you didn't get the MU coaching job - did you apply? they must have lost your resume. What would Steph's lakluster defense have done against Villanova - how many did Scottie Reynolds score? DJ is a great on the ball defender, but overall we are not the defensive team we were under TC, so DJ's defense is not single handedly winning us games.

Speaking of single handedly winning games....how about that Davidson run in the NCAAs last year? Come ON NOW! They play the same position. interchange them and what happens? If you have actually watched Steph play - a full game - you would see he is a great passer.

I refuse to spend more time arguing whether or not Steph Curry/Ty Lawson is better than Dom James. I love DJ, but this isn't fair.

nola03

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »
His name is Junior Cadougan

He looks like an extremely heady prospect and I'm excited to watch him but Toronto may not have 4 blocked shots in an entire season.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
what is the proper way to textual express complete and utter shock, mixed with laughter?

Stephen Curry....and his 30 ppg....you wouldn't take that over DJ and his 2.5/1 assit to turnover and 11 ppg? I can't believe you didn't get the MU coaching job - did you apply? they must have lost your resume. What would Steph's lakluster defense have done against Villanova - how many did Scottie Reynolds score? DJ is a great on the ball defender, but overall we are not the defensive team we were under TC, so DJ's defense is not single handedly winning us games.

Speaking of single handedly winning games....how about that Davidson run in the NCAAs last year? Come ON NOW! They play the same position. interchange them and what happens? If you have actually watched Steph play - a full game - you would see he is a great passer.

I refuse to spend more time arguing whether or not Steph Curry/Ty Lawson is better than Dom James. I love DJ, but this isn't fair.

The notion that Steph Currey is a PG is laughable.  Great player yes, but he's not a PG and doesn't deserve to be on the Cousy list.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »
Are you even coming CLOSE to arguing that DJ is better or as good as Ty Lawson. If so, I will never post again on this board - it will have lost all credibilty.

Have you ever seen Ty Lawson play? You know, a whole game? He is unequivocally the best player on maybe the best team. That offense breathes through him and him alone.

And if you want to get into a pissing match - here are better PG's

Stephen Curry
Ty Lawson
Jonny Flynn
Darren Collison
Patrick Mills (before he got hurt)
Eric Maynor

those are, in my opinion, without dispute. it is hard to compare 7th best vs 12th best, but a case can be made for the following.

Levance Fields
Toney Douglas
Jeff Teague
Sherron Collins (maybe)

argue you what you want about DJ's great assist/TO ratio. Fields is almost 4:1, and many of these others are pushing 20 PPG, which is a pretty good tradeoff for one less tick off the assist/TO ratio. Toney Douglas put like 30 on UNC. How many would Dom score?

Due to the fact that you apparently only rate a players contributions by how mnay points he scores your ignorance is so great that me talking about how mnay points Toney douglas scored or how many points Dom would score is to lower myself to your level.   Lets just list the NCAA scoring leaders and the top 5 can be the first team all americans.  right.  SAD!!  but i guess ignorance is bliss for you

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »

You do realize that Curry only moved to PG this year right?  That last year he was playing the #2?

The point stands.  I would rather have James at #1 in a full BE schedule rather than Curry.  Believe me, I would love to have Curry on the team, but he is not a better point than DJ given the competition that MU faces.  Levance Fields would make Curry weep openly.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

Ohh i get it a TC lover,  you lover leaving you has your brain all mixed up.  We have suffered defensively not becuase we lost a poor defensive coach , which Cream was.  But because we lost ooze and have a player 2-3 inches shorter who is a significantly inferior rebounder and defender in his place ( Burke) or have a 6'4 player in LAzar playing in that spot when Burke is not.  Please get a grip, does drool leak off your lip while you watch basketball.  To say Tc was agood defensive coach, well i just would not say that too loudly, makes your sound even dumber than saying Dj is not outstanding.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 03:35:46 PM »
That is such a typical response from the masses - the masses that only watch Sportscenter highlight and the masses that DJ haters are accussed of being. Since you haven't seen a Davidson game, I'll just pull up the non-PG Steph Curry's stats.

29 ppg - 5.8 apg - 1.67 a/to - 2.7 steals - 4.1 rebounds

and DJ - the "true" PG

11.9 ppg - 5.4 apg - 2.75 a/to - 2.2 steals - 3.7 rpg

That is correct, Steph Curry actually gets more assists than DJ. Any idea what that number would be playing alongside Wes, Jerel, and Lazar? You see Steph Curry launching on Sportscenter and thats it. Forgive him for scoring 29 ppg (should be closer to 30 w.o that goose-egg double coverage fiasco).

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
I hate TC with a passion and would most certainly not piss on him if he was on fire, but I respect what he did for the program and merely stated the facts. We were better at defense last year.

Also, DJ averages 11 and 5. You wouldn't take a PG that averages 20 and 4? Interesting strategy there Cotton.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 03:44:01 PM »
Also, you downgrade Steph because he averages 30 against weak opponents. That doesn't mean that he can't do that against better opponents, he actually does in non-conference games each year and in the tourney. Last time I checked, colleges cant trade players so Curry is stuck lighting up nobodys. Ignoring what he has done against elite teams (the same as he has done against weaker opponents) is true ignorance.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »
That is such a typical response from the masses - the masses that only watch Sportscenter highlight and the masses that DJ haters are accussed of being. Since you haven't seen a Davidson game, I'll just pull up the non-PG Steph Curry's stats.

and DJ - the "true" PG

That is correct, Steph Curry actually gets more assists than DJ. Any idea what that number would be playing alongside Wes, Jerel, and Lazar? You see Steph Curry launching on Sportscenter and thats it. Forgive him for scoring 29 ppg (should be closer to 30 w.o that goose-egg double coverage fiasco).

Look beyond the numbers and actually watch them play.  Watch how they handle the ball, watch how they direct their teammates, watch how they set up the offense.  Do that and you'll see that Dominic James is a point guard, while Steph Curry is a 2 guard that passes the ball occasionally.  

There's a huge difference.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »
I hate TC with a passion and would most certainly not piss on him if he was on fire, but I respect what he did for the program and merely stated the facts. We were better at defense last year.

Also, DJ averages 11 and 5. You wouldn't take a PG that averages 20 and 4? Interesting strategy there Cotton.

we were better at defense last year ...lets give the credit to Ooze where it belongs not Cream

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »

and DJ - the "true" PG

Interesting that you glossed over the 1.67 v. 2.75 a/to ratio.  Probably the best measure of a PG.  

And please stop bringing up ppg.  The reason that he has so many points is because he shoots...all...of...the...time.  He is only shooting 45% this year...39% from 3.  Jerel McNeal has been more accurate this year - 48% and 43% respectively.  Hell, Wes Matthews is a more accurate three point shooter this year - and that's considered his weakness.

And I haven't yet brought up the competition aspect...Southern Conference v. Big East...  

Point stands.  Curry would not be a better PG for MU than DJ is right now.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
Interesting that you only focused on one stat. Assit/TO is a great measure, but come on - you need to put it in context. 2.75 vs 1.67. Not that great of a difference. 30 vs 11....a huge difference.

You need to look at the whole package. Are you willing to sacrifice 1.08 assist/TO for 19 points and better shooting? I sure am. If we want to measure solely on that stat, Levance Fields blows DJ out of the water with a 4.0 assist/TO.

Also, if you want me to go ahead and isolate Steph Curry's career stats against BCS teams like Oklahoma, Duke, NC State, Georgetown, Wisconsin, and Kansas then I will. I'm pretty sure he lit them all up.

You are also claiming that Jerel McNeal, maybe a front-runner for BEast POY is more accurate from downtown. Is that an insult? I bet Jessica Bield is hotter than your gf/wife. Is that an insult? Absolutely not.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »
I bet Jessica Bield is hotter than your gf/wife. Is that an insult? Absolutely not.

What if his gf/wife is Jessica Biel?  ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
than he should spend a lot less time on message boards

bma725

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 04:13:18 PM »
We're not talking about who's the better player, we're talking about who's the better PG.  Curry's 30 to 11 advantage says nothing about his abilities as a PG, only his abilities as a scorer.  

Remember, the award is named after a guy who is known for his great ball handling, amazing passes, and pure point guard ability, not his scoring.  Similarly, the award was intended to go to a player like Cousy, a player who showed pure point guard skills, who managed the team and the game whenever they were in.....not a shooting guard that plays point because he's too short.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
Interesting that you only focused on one stat. Assit/TO is a great measure, but come on - you need to put it in context. 2.75 vs 1.67. Not that great of a difference. 30 vs 11....a huge difference.

You need to look at the whole package. Are you willing to sacrifice 1.08 assist/TO for 19 points and better shooting? I sure am. If we want to measure solely on that stat, Levance Fields blows DJ out of the water with a 4.0 assist/TO.

The caveat here is that 1) Curry is basically a one-man team, and 2) you're assuming that replacing DJ with Curry would increase MU's scoring average by 19points, which, in all likelihood, would not be the case. Curry would probably still get his, but at whose expense?

It's an interesting debate, but for a PG, I'll stick with DJ over Steph Curry.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 04:18:05 PM »
DJ could probably put up some sick numbers vs Elon and Furman.  Does he have flaws in his game? Of course.  Is he a great player?  Again of course.  He had too many TO's yesterday, but it was his season high, so its not like he is turning the ball over all the time.  And he also had 7 steals, so I think getting 7 turn overs makes up for having 6-- not even to mention his assists.  Oh and he is averaging more steals than TO on the season.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »
Also I think DJ destroyed Duke as a sophomore, didn't he?  Something like 25pts and 7 assists.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »

You need to look at the whole package. Are you willing to sacrifice 1.08 assist/TO for 19 points and better shooting? I sure am.

Again with the ppg.  He *gets* those points because he *shoots* a lot.  

Put it this way, if you plug Curry's *percentages* into James' actual *attempts* Curry gets 367 points this year versus DJ's 309.  Divide that by 26 games and that's only 14.12 ppg.  (Against inferior competition.)  Considering that Curry turns it over 1.5 times more a game, and considering that James is a much better defender, I go with DJ.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
I most certainly am not claiming MU scoring would go up by exactly 19 points, maybe more, maybe less. All I am saying is his scoring ability and passing ability would make MU a FAR FAR FAR FAR better team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 04:28:43 PM »
You keep glossing over the fact that the reason he scores a lot is because he shoots a lot.  He would never get that many shots playing for MU.  And he's not a better passer than James.

Jeez...and to think yesterday I was being called a James "hater."   ::)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
If you are looking for Dj to shoot the ball well you will be continually disappointed.  Your decison to not accept his shooting woes are causing you to miss one of the all time greats.  Your loss.

Ty lawson and collison dont shoot it real well eaither but I am sure the know nothings out there that have not named there 9-14 PG's better than DJ have them at the top of their lists. 
(emphasis mine)
Sigh.

Ty Lawson is shooting 49.4% from 3, 55.6% from the field, and 80.5% from the free throw line.  He has the #1 offensive rating IN THE COUNTRY per Ken Pom.  Don't let the facts get in the way of your arguments.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:37:52 PM by Wareagle »