Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James Was Outstanding Last Night  (Read 15683 times)

nola03

Dominic James Was Outstanding Last Night
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
People will point to the 6 TOs but two of those were fouls not called. I'll gladly take a 2:1 assist/turnover ratio from my PG. And I don't think we'll see our PG get 4 blocks maybe in the next 3-5 seasons.

He is an excellent player on both ends of the court that we will dearly, dearly miss next season.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Dominic James Was Outstanding Last Night
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
Really? Still can't shoot to save his life.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:32:41 AM »
made his free throws last night
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:03 AM »
Glad you said something I was surely not going to start athread on it as it would only bring out the haters.  So sad, we have so many people who hate on Dj becuase they watch 3 highlights on an ESPN clip and think there are better PG's out there.  he is one of the top 4 PG's in the country for 4 years running what ablessing and what agreat great kid.  No he is not agreat shooter but he is bottom line incredible in every other phase of the game.

Just voted for him again for the Cousy award at the top of the page.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »
My biggest complaint from last night was the time he brought up the ball and just put up a three.  He didn't look for other players, he just brought it up and and shot a brick.  He can't do that.

Otherwise he's become a great team player and a great defensive player for his height ... have you seen some of the blocks he's had this season.  His shooting needs some help still, but I'll get over it he discontinues the above action.

Keith

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »
Glad you said something I was surely not going to start athread on it as it would only bring out the haters.  So sad, we have so many people who hate on Dj becuase they watch 3 highlights on an ESPN clip and think there are better PG's out there.  he is one of the top 4 PG's in the country for 4 years running what ablessing and what agreat great kid.  No he is not agreat shooter but he is bottom line incredible in every other phase of the game.

I'm sure you count me as one of the "haters," even though I said the same exact thing you did - "he is one of the top 4 PGs in the country."  I just don't think he's the best.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:46:11 AM »
My biggest complaint from last night was the time he brought up the ball and just put up a three.  He didn't look for other players, he just brought it up and and shot a brick.  He can't do that.

I don't have a problem if he comes up and shoots the three (yes, I'd like to see him take a little time first) as long as he isn't doing it time and time again, especially after having missed the last 5.  Let's face it, there have been games when DJ gets hot from beyond the arc.  I don't have a problem letting him find out if it's going to be one of those games as long as he realizes when it isn't going to be his night shooting.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 10:46:51 AM »
Ask Louisville, Duke or Xavier if they'd take James.  He is a very good college player and a fantastic representative for the university.

If he takes one bad shot, I can live with that.  Four or five, then we need to talk.

Get behind this guy, the Warriors and enjoy the sprint to the finish.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »
I don't have a problem if he comes up and shoots the three (yes, I'd like to see him take a little time first) as long as he isn't doing it time and time again, especially after having missed the last 5.  Let's face it, there have been games when DJ gets hot from beyond the arc.  I don't have a problem letting him find out if it's going to be one of those games as long as he realizes when it isn't going to be his night shooting.
I know he can get hot, and I know he only did it once instead of 4 or 5 (which I've seen happen earlier this season).  I don't mind if he takes a 3, I'd just prefer he look around a little before doing it.  There was still 30 or so left on the shot clock as I recall.

Keith

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »
You shouldn't be looking around if you are wide open.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »
I have watched or listened to every game over the past four years and I don't believe I am ignorant in disagreeing with those of you who feel James is one of the top four point guards in the country.  I am confident most college basketball analysts would rank him somewhere around the 10-15 range.  I understand the NBA draft doesn't necessarily prove whose best at the collegiate level, because several factors are taken into consideration, including size, but I'd be incredulous if James is one of the top four point guards chosen.  In my opinion, there are several point guards who are a notch or two above James in both collegiate output and pro potential.   

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
I'm a DJ fan, but to say his game was outstanding last night is inaccurate.  He hit one three, which was a horrible shot (fading to the corner with a hand in his face), bricked 2 or 3 others and turned the ball over 6 times!  He had a decent game, but will need to play much better in the next 5 for MU to be successful. 

One thing I've noticed about him lately, he starts the game really aggressive (taking the ball to the hoop, creating on offense) and usually settles for 3 pointers in the second half.  Personally I think he gets a bit tired, his on the ball defense is nothing short of extraordinary and he continues the pressure throughout the game.  If you've played Bball you know how exhausting playing intense defense can be.

nola03

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
I'm a DJ fan, but to say his game was outstanding last night is inaccurate.  He hit one three, which was a horrible shot (fading to the corner with a hand in his face), bricked 2 or 3 others and turned the ball over 6 times!  He had a decent game, but will need to play much better in the next 5 for MU to be successful. 

That's fair. We all have our own opinion. Because mine is different then yours doesn't make it inaccurate though.

When my PG gets me 13 points, 8 assists, 7 steals, 4 blocked shots and harasses his defensive assignment 90% of his time on court, I find that outstanding.

Can't wait until we see the next MU point guard end up with a stat line like that.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
That's fair. We all have our own opinion. Because mine is different then yours doesn't make it inaccurate though.

When my PG gets me 13 points, 8 assists, 7 steals, 4 blocked shots and harasses his defensive assignment 90% of his time on court, I find that outstanding.

Can't wait until we see the next MU point guard end up with a stat line like that.

when will we see it again and when did we ever see it before.  we have clowns on the board arguing if he is top 4 or top 10, what a joke.   Anyone that thinks they can name 10 pgs better than james has never seen them play ecxept in highlights segments. 

Badgerhater920

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 12:54:25 PM »
the turnovers were alarming last night but i guess we can accept them with how stellar the rest of his statline was, as well as the fact that he just hasn't been turning the ball over this year. Don't be shocked to see Cadougan with box scores just as impressive in the next 4 years though -but probably in a different way. He most likely won't be the harassing defender that D-James is and therefore won't get the steals and certainly not the blocks, but he will be a FAR better shooter than James, from everywhere on the court. He'll rack up the dimes, too, especially with an actual inside presence.

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »
I warn you now....here comes a message from a DJ "hater"

Yes, yes, by your definition, I am a hater. I agree with few on this thread and think that DJ is closer to the top 10-15 best point guard rather than top 5 or even "the best". Funny, I bet if any reputable basketball mind came up to DJ and said "you sir, are a top 10 PG in the nation right now", DJ would be honored. DJ is a great player who helps our team, but stop telling us to vote for him as the "best PG in america" and then calling us less Marquette fans when we disagree.

Ya, he had a full state line last night - especially with the 6 turnovers. In many eyes, he can do no wrong. When he has 6 turnovers we praise his all around night (which deservers praise) and when he has 1 turnover we praise his 4:1 assist/TO ratio.

Also, claiming that the "haters" get their opinions from 2-3 clips on the highlight reel is just ridiculous. Do they show a lot of bad threes, overdribbling in crunch time, and missed free throws in hightlight reels? I must be watching the wrong show, because all I see no the highlights of DJ are his alley-oop dunks. I watch every MU game from beginning to end and I can confidentally say that the times when DJ causes me say to myself "wow" and "noooooooooooooooo!" are at best, a 50/50 split. Not so great a ratio for the best PG in American eh?

I am a bigger fan of basketball than I am of Dominic James. If baseball is bigger than Alex Rodriguez than CBB is bigger than Dominic James. I would rather see the Cousy Award go to someone like Steph Curry, Patrick Mills, Ty Lawson, Jonny Flynn, or Eric Maynor. If it was chosen by CBB writers and analysts, it would be either Curry, Lawson, and Maynor

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
I love DJ.  When he is having a good night there is no one more fun to watch and that includes Jerel.  I love DJ's defense and I never worry with him bringing the ball up the court.  What I criticise him for is that he seems to lose the WILL to penetrate and dish and when he does our offense becomes a lot of standing around.  This happens particularly when facing a zone.  With no post presence we must have him driving the ball to get the defense moving.  Maybe he just gets tired and who could blame him with the minutes he must play and the way he plays D.( the only counter to that is that he seems to play better in the second half when he should be more fatigued) 

OregonWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 01:36:39 PM »
The problem is basing what DJ accomplishes against what you "expect" from a point guard. I don't expect a PG to block four shots and have the leaping ability to help on the glass (at least in terms of getting a hand on the ball). Expectations are that PGs rack up assists, limit turnovers and hit shots. James never is going to be a good shooter but we should admit that he does things other PGs don't do. Whether that makes him one of the best PGs in the country is up for debate. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
1617novakn

waiting for thos e 9-14 Pgs that are better....  anyothers, 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »
when will we see it again and when did we ever see it before.  we have clowns on the board arguing if he is top 4 or top 10, what a joke.   Anyone that thinks they can name 10 pgs better than james has never seen them play ecxept in highlights segments. 

Well Mr. Hayward did McNeal have an outstanding game last night???  Because people have been b*tching about him on this board.  He did have 13 points 7 assists and 6 boards....no matter the 8 turnovers.  As for the 4 blocks, I can't remember one?  Seriously,  I really can't.

I'm sorry, but 4-14 from the field and 6 or 7 turnovers from you PG is not outstanding.  Didn't say he played terrible, read my post.  I'll say it again, if he doesn't play better the next 5 games, against good competition, we will lose.  4-14 and 6 or 7 turnovers will not get it done vs. Pitt, Louisville, UCONN or Cuse. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
If you are looking for Dj to shoot the ball well you will be continually disappointed.  Your decison to not accept his shooting woes are causing you to miss one of the all time greats.  Your loss.

Ty lawson and collison dont shoot it real well eaither but I am sure the know nothings out there that have not named there 9-14 PG's better than DJ have them at the top of their lists. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
If you are looking for Dj to shoot the ball well you will be continually disappointed.  Your decison to not accept his shooting woes are causing you to miss one of the all time greats.  Your loss.

Ty lawson and collison dont shoot it real well eaither but I am sure the know nothings out there that have not named there 9-14 PG's better than DJ have them at the top of their lists. 

Both Lawson and Collison have ppg and apg averages about the same as DJ...but their shooting percentages are better.  What does that tell you?

1617novakn

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 02:54:20 PM »
Are you even coming CLOSE to arguing that DJ is better or as good as Ty Lawson. If so, I will never post again on this board - it will have lost all credibilty.

Have you ever seen Ty Lawson play? You know, a whole game? He is unequivocally the best player on maybe the best team. That offense breathes through him and him alone.

And if you want to get into a pissing match - here are better PG's

Stephen Curry
Ty Lawson
Jonny Flynn
Darren Collison
Patrick Mills (before he got hurt)
Eric Maynor

those are, in my opinion, without dispute. it is hard to compare 7th best vs 12th best, but a case can be made for the following.

Levance Fields
Toney Douglas
Jeff Teague
Sherron Collins (maybe)

argue you what you want about DJ's great assist/TO ratio. Fields is almost 4:1, and many of these others are pushing 20 PPG, which is a pretty good tradeoff for one less tick off the assist/TO ratio. Toney Douglas put like 30 on UNC. How many would Dom score?

BrandonA

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
I warn you now....here comes a message from a DJ "hater"

Yes, yes, by your definition, I am a hater. I agree with few on this thread and think that DJ is closer to the top 10-15 best point guard rather than top 5 or even "the best". Funny, I bet if any reputable basketball mind came up to DJ and said "you sir, are a top 10 PG in the nation right now", DJ would be honored. DJ is a great player who helps our team, but stop telling us to vote for him as the "best PG in america" and then calling us less Marquette fans when we disagree.

Ya, he had a full state line last night - especially with the 6 turnovers. In many eyes, he can do no wrong. When he has 6 turnovers we praise his all around night (which deservers praise) and when he has 1 turnover we praise his 4:1 assist/TO ratio.

Also, claiming that the "haters" get their opinions from 2-3 clips on the highlight reel is just ridiculous. Do they show a lot of bad threes, overdribbling in crunch time, and missed free throws in hightlight reels? I must be watching the wrong show, because all I see no the highlights of DJ are his alley-oop dunks. I watch every MU game from beginning to end and I can confidentally say that the times when DJ causes me say to myself "wow" and "noooooooooooooooo!" are at best, a 50/50 split. Not so great a ratio for the best PG in American eh?

I am a bigger fan of basketball than I am of Dominic James. If baseball is bigger than Alex Rodriguez than CBB is bigger than Dominic James. I would rather see the Cousy Award go to someone like Steph Curry, Patrick Mills, Ty Lawson, Jonny Flynn, or Eric Maynor. If it was chosen by CBB writers and analysts, it would be either Curry, Lawson, and Maynor

When people mentioned they get their opinion from highlight reels, they meant people get opinions of other PG based of off highlight reels, not their opinion of DJ.  Do you watch every single Eric Maynor game or do you just read his stat line and watch his highlights on ESPN?  Maybe he makes some stupid moves?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
Are you even coming CLOSE to arguing that DJ is better or as good as Ty Lawson. If so, I will never post again on this board - it will have lost all credibilty.

Have you ever seen Ty Lawson play? You know, a whole game? He is unequivocally the best player on maybe the best team. That offense breathes through him and him alone.

And if you want to get into a pissing match - here are better PG's

Stephen Curry

Curry is not a better point guard than DJ.  Curry is a much better scorer, but if you are talking about playing point guard in the BE night in and night out, I would take DJ in a second over Curry.  I also don't think Curry's defense is that good either.