[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Frozena on Sportscenter!  (Read 27811 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Frozena on Sportscenter!
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:29 AM »
... So guys like Fulce and Hazel (didn't play against SF) don't deserve PT?  How does Frozena "deserve" PT?  The question is "Who on the bench might be called upon to put in productive minutes and do they need more practice?"  The only situation that Frozena would be put in a game that was in the balance was if every other player was hurt or fouled out.  Kids go out on the court and Buzz says stuff like "They were clueless".  Those players need more practice.  Even Hazel.   

Players need PT to get better... Ask Jimmy Butler

One minute at the end of a blowout won't make anyone appreciably better. Frozena is the 12th man. The 12th man plays in end-of-blowout situations. At every school. What's your problem?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 12:32:18 AM »
One minute at the end of a blowout won't make anyone appreciably better. Frozena is the 12th man. The 12th man plays in end-of-blowout situations. At every school. What's your problem?

Most schools play more than 6 1/2 players...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

TJ

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 12:35:05 AM »
Most schools play more than 6 1/2 players...
you're still complaining about this?  He was playing with the rest of our bench. He didn't take minutes away from anyone.  Acker, Cubes, Fulce, and Otule were out there with him.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 12:37:29 AM »
... So guys like Fulce and Hazel (didn't play against SF) don't deserve PT?  How does Frozena "deserve" PT?  The question is "Who on the bench might be called upon to put in productive minutes and do they need more practice?"  The only situation that Frozena would be put in a game that was in the balance was if every other player was hurt or fouled out.  Kids go out on the court and Buzz says stuff like "They were clueless".  Those players need more practice.  Even Hazel.   

Players need PT to get better... Ask Jimmy Butler

If you honestly think there was anything for Hazel or any other player besides Frozena to gain by even being out there for the last two minutes, you don't have a clue about college basketball and you clearly weren't paying attention to what was happening on the court.

Frozena hasn't even played 20 minutes total this season.  Hazel already has 3 games where he played more than that this year.

The comment about Pat being clueless had nothing to do with his lack of playing time. 

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 12:37:45 AM »
I don't think anyone's with you on this one Erick.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »
Frozena = smart, hard-working, passionate player. Buzz better try to keep him on his staff when he graduates. How awesome would that be???

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »
I don't think anyone's with you on this one Erick.

Like I give a rat's ass... I am not a jerk.  I love walkon stories.  My point is that I think that Buzz should have his team play hard and he should coach to the final buzzer.  If he says players are clueless and he hopes more players will contribute like Butler, he needs to let them practice/play. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

bma725

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:04 AM »
Like I give a rat's ass... I am not a jerk.  I love walkon stories.  My point is that I think that Buzz should have his team play hard and he should coach to the final buzzer.  If he says players are clueless and he hopes more players will contribute like Butler, he needs to let them practice/play. 

Again, Hazel's cluelessness has nothing to do with how much playing time he got.  Hazel was a clueless player in HS, he was a clueless player in AAU, and he's clueless at MU.  Some guys are just athletes and don't have a basketball brain.  Hazel is one of those guys, and no amount of PT is going to change that, especially PT that comes with under 1 minute left when you can barely call what's going on basketball.

Watch some other games, try to find a coach that actually coaches til the buzzer when his team is blowing out the other team with less than 1:30 to play.  It doesn't exist.  Coaches aren't going to do it and risk getting alienated in the coaching fraternity. 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 12:53:25 AM »

What do you mean by "coach to the final buzzer"?

-Looking for a set play during garbage time for the reserves? First, you're not gonna get it with Buzz's offense. Second, what good would such a play do for the backups if they'd never see it at any other point during the game?

-Or are you making a comment on Cubillan's poor shot selection? Well, it was a decent look within the offense, under 10seconds or not. Cooby certainly isn't the only Marquette player prone to poor shot selection from time to time. I'd say the fact that Buzz was in Cooby's grill following that shot is a pretty good indicator of "coaching to (and beyond) the final buzzer."

Seems you're grasping at straws in this case.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 01:42:42 AM »

Given the first part of that sentence, I fixed the second part for you.

I don't see any reason why Frozena getting a bucket underneath somehow precludes that Buzz "didn't coach to the final buzzer."

IAmMarquette already pointed out Buzz's treatment of Cubillan for the poor shot selection at the end.

I just don't see the need to bash Buzz (or Rob) on what is a pretty unique situation.  We all know 99% of the people at this school aren't here because of basketball or carrying a sports-related scholarship along with them.  Rob is one of those people.  He lived in O'Donnell last year.  He worked his behind off to beat out a bunch of other people trying to make the team, and not only did he make it, but he stuck on it.  Now he gets a field goal, and his (nationally renowned all-star) teammates are excited enough for him on the bench that he gets a spot on the most watched sports highlight show on TV.  I'm failing to see what's NOT cool about this scenario. 

Moe

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 02:25:21 AM »

I am pretty sure you have convinced everyone on here that all you are is a douche.  Are you seriously still bitching about something like this.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:27 AM »
Its about the team and team only.  Not what one poster believes how one minute of playing time will increase his productivity.  Its about the team.  If you saw the game and the highlights of ESPN's Sportscenter, the players and coaches, all of them, whether starters, scrubs, injured, redshirted, were thrilled that the kid scored a basket. The Bradley Center was thrilled.  The team loves this guy and thats what matters. Play him more when team is up by 15 or so with 60 seconds to go. 

15thst939

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »
erick, you got cut from high school basketball...right?

Thanks for turning a fun post about Frozena into an erick bashing.  No I did not use teal font. I truly enjoyed everyone bashing you for bashing the walk-on.

You have over 300 posts, but you lost a lot of credibility today.

By the way, I think your user icon of a DONKEY is very fitting.

Have a Great Wednesday MU fans!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 08:08:59 AM »
People who rip the walk-on? Douches.

LON

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
People who rip the walk-on? Douches.

I bet he hates how the kid purposely missed the technical free throws during the Milwaukee Madison game too.  He could have been practicing his form.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »
ErickJD08... I am assuming you didn't play college basketball... I am also assuming you didn't play high school basketball..

Yeah, youve got your And 1 ballers playing pickup games, and they look great, you put them in a free flowing offense, and they struggle... they are uncoachable, that is why they are gym rats....

Division 1 Teams don't miss out on players... if you can play, a college will find you.  Frozena gets minutes because I can guarantee that he busts his butt in practice, knowing that what he is doing is helping someone like McNeal become the player he is.  He gets in, scores a bucket, what is your problem with that... would rather see OTule or Fulce get the bucket?  Why? Why is Frozena to be shunned upon where are other players who I doubt are much better then Robert should get to play.

Hey buddy... before you bash a kid for doing everything right, getting amazing grades, never missing practice, helping out the team in any shape or form... Why don't you look at yourself and ask yourself "could I walk-on to a D1 program... could I even attempt to walk on to a D3 college"  College athletics takes a lot out of a person, plus going to school to get a degree.

Bravo to Frozena, all heart, that is what you want in a walk-on... not a hot shot
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »
Big Deal... I promise you I can find some kids at the Rec Center willing to give up the time and that are better than him.

Here is what coaches want from walk-ons...

1. Be a decent basketball player
2. Work your ass off in practice
3. Have a good attitude...know your role and embrace it
4. Don't cause problems either in the classroom or out on the town

Read this article:

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20090208/APC0201/902080541/1015/APC0205

Basically it says that he hustles, he's very smart, a great teammate, and understands his place.  And Frozena isn't some dork who's never picked up a ball.  He averaged 22+ points a game as a senior.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »
Wow. ErickJD, I can't believe this bothers you so much. Frozena's the Human Victory Cigar. Putting him in means we've won big.

Obviously you weren't at the game either. Lazar tapped Buzz on the shoulder and told him to put in Rob. Buzz did, and the place went nuts. The entire bench stood up for the entire time that Frozena was in, and they went insane when he scored. Wes literally ran onto the court.

The fact is, the kid puts up with all the practice and lifting and rules and coaches just like every other player....without a scholarship. He's busting his ass because he obviously loves the game. I don't see why it hurts so much to give Rob a minute of PT when we're up by like 15.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 09:53:32 AM »
WHY?!?  Did this kid cure cancer?  Is he mentally handicapped?  I have no idea how he sees the court or is even on the team.

You are an pretty boy.*

*I didn't originally say "pretty boy." Apparently there was an auto-edit, because I called you something much less nice. Let's just say I said, "You're a jerk" and leave it at that. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:06:51 AM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »
Unbelieveable thread. I can't believe there a guy on here ripping Frozena.

First off, Rob is a good basketball player. He average 24 points a game his senior year of high school and was a 3-time All-Conference Selection (Thanks, MUWiki). I seriously doubt that many of the guys at the Rec Center can boast those accomplishments.

In terms of getting in over Hazel ... Well, maybe he deserved too. We don't know what happens at practice, but maybe Frozena works harder and simply prepares better than Hazel. If so, I'm glad that Rob played over Hazel. In a recent article on Frozena, Buzz stated that Rob is the most prepare player on the team when comes to executing a game plan.

BTW - What the hell is going on here at Scoop. There one guy ripping a walk-on and another ripping Rosiak (one of the best sources of info when comes to MU basketball). Totally bizarre ... Can we just go back to the threads ripping Crean. ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:42:30 AM by RJax55 »

nola03

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »
+2

+3.

There's a jackass in his avatar for a reason.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
Big Deal... I promise you I can find some kids at the Rec Center willing to give up the time and that are better than him.

If they were that much better than he was, they would have beaten him at the open tryouts they seem to hold every fall at the Al looking for that diamond in the rough, or at least someone who will go balls-out in practice against the starters.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
+3.

There's a jackass in his avatar for a reason.

+4

for what any walk-on does and takes for the team, a few second cameo every now and again (hopefully more than that) is a small price to pay.
the kid hitting a layup, making sportscenter, and being mobbed by his teammates are memories anyone deserves...
good for fro-zone.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »

You know what Buzz should have done? He should have had all of the starters out there taking charges and dunking in traffic. Hopefully then we could get a couple of sprained ankles and torn ACLs.
We Are Marquette

feedback