Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New topic frezy - checking in on Pitt fans  (Read 8653 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
New topic frezy - checking in on Pitt fans
« on: January 18, 2007, 12:24:47 PM »
Just did a little trolling of the Pitt board on Rivals.  Here's some threads you may enjoy.  Props to TallTitan for representing the MU fans :)

Good thing Pitt won't have anyone to challenge them for the BE title...

How many years before they realize the Creanex joke is lame?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: New topic frezy - checking in on Pitt fans
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »
I try my best , thank you!  ;D

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 12:58:08 PM »
Yea that wasn't a push.   ::)

We just decided to have James on the bench for an extended time frame for the heck of it because with him in there we were kicking their a**es and had a nice lead.  Yea that makes complete sense.  What a bunch of boneheads!  Some of their fans are as bad as the Louisville and UW fans.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 01:02:36 PM »
hope their team overlooks us as much as their fans seem to do  ;)

strange how I have not seem to have found a single big east team's message board that actually has much if anything nice to say about pitt.. lots of well wishing going on between most of the other teams, etc. but when it comes to pitt it has always seemed to be "hope we don't have to put up with their fans on our board" or "good luck against pitt - we're ALL pulling for you!" type posts..

oh well.. I say let's take it to the court and see what happens there  ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »
We just decided to have James on the bench for an extended time frame for the heck of it because with him in there we were kicking their a**es and had a nice lead.

Now you've got it  ;D  And he was wearing a shoulder pad for a few games afterward just because it looked soooo cool  8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:19:24 PM by rocky_warrior »

mckst7

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »
I assure you our fans nor or players are overlooking MU, as you are the probably the only team standing between us and a BE regular season title.  As for the other fans hating PITT, thats an easy one, we have been the favorite in most games we have played in this conference for the last few years.  How often do you guys root for the favorite in games within the conference?   WVU fans wouldn't root for PITT if they were playing the Al Qaeda All-Stars, nor we would we root for them.  The last point is, we play a tough, grind it out style of basketball that is not most appealing to most basketball fans who like the run and gun game. 

As for Saturday, your fans will be treated with nothing but respect at the Pete.  I for one have thoroughly enjoyed our rivalry thats been developing the past few years. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »
Last year at this time, heading into their game on January 21st, Pitt was 15-0 (4-0), ranked number 9 in the nation, with the BE title, Final Four talk in full force. They would go on to finish out their schedule 6-6. That started with loss in that game on the 21st (St. John's).

I do think they are better this year (Krauser = addition by subtraction), and teh conference was stronger last uear, but this conference is far from over. If we somehow manage a win on Sunday, and I'm not sure we don't become the favorites. Not predicting a win necessarily, but I sure can't put this one in the loss column just yet either. Again, the question needs to be asked, who have the beaten? Most impressive wins are at Syracuse and probably at home against Georgetown, who gave them all they could handle. Can't wait for this one to start - I think we have a real good shot.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:41:46 PM »
As for the other fans hating PITT, thats an easy one, we have been the favorite in most games we have played in this conference for the last few years...The last point is, we play a tough, grind it out style of basketball that is not most appealing to most basketball fans who like the run and gun game. 

I don't think anyone was referencing hating "Pitt" or its players, but rather the fandom. They seem to have a disproportionate number of douche bags to the rest of the schools around the country. We have seen it here first hand. Has nothing to do with who's favored or style of play.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »
strange how I have not seem to have found a single big east team's message board that actually has much if anything nice to say about pitt.. lots of well wishing going on between most of the other teams, etc. but when it comes to pitt it has always seemed to be "hope we don't have to put up with their fans on our board" or "good luck against pitt - we're ALL pulling for you!" type posts..

Not strange at all--Pitt is one of only two BE teams to make the tourney five years in a row.  Fans of the other teams tend to gang up on perennial winners.

There isnt' a lot of ACC love for Duke, SEC love for UK, nor was there CUSA love for Cincy back in the day.  When you win a lot, you're hated by the rest of the conference.

Pitt fans may be arrogant, but at least the team can back it up with sustained strong performance over the past five years.  Frankly, I don't find their fans any more arrogant than, say, Georgetown's or Louisville's.  

And you have to admit that their home court is one of the best college atmospheres in the nation.  

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 01:49:37 PM »
I assure you our fans nor or players are overlooking MU, as you are the probably the only team standing between us and a BE regular season title.
darn.. there goes that hope  ;D

As for the other fans hating PITT, thats an easy one, we have been the favorite in most games we have played in this conference for the last few years.  How often do you guys root for the favorite in games within the conference?
I'd partly agree with you there.. it was that way in conference usa with cinci when they were up and doing well and there was certainly little love lost between them and most teams.. however looking at last season in the big east, pitt tied with MU for fourth place in conference record and uconn, vill, and wvu were 1-3 respectively... none of the general dislike seemed to be prevalent between them and most other teams.. but when it came to pitt it was almost unanimous.

WVU fans wouldn't root for PITT if they were playing the Al Qaeda All-Stars, nor we would we root for them.
I HAVE sensed that the wvu/pitt dislike seems to be stronger than the average.  Any particular reason?

The last point is, we play a tough, grind it out style of basketball that is not most appealing to most basketball fans who like the run and gun game.
That was actually my thought before I post.. and it makes sense.. the physical and bruising games that result do usually have a "dirty" feel to them.. perhaps that's the basis of the general mood.
[/quote]

As for Saturday, your fans will be treated with nothing but respect at the Pete.   
and likewise on March 3rd.

I for one have thoroughly enjoyed our rivalry thats been developing the past few years.
I concur.. this rivalry has a very good chance of being on par with the louisville and notre dame rivalries we have now (and with the cinci rivalry we used to have - not so much fun to kick a team when they're down as they are these days).

Don't mistake my comments to mean that I wish pitt any ill will or anything like that.. I cheer pitt on as much as I do any other big east team in non-conference play and am very glad to be a part of the same conference.  thanks for popping in mckst7.. hope we'll see more of you!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mckst7

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
I don't think anyone was referencing hating "Pitt" or its players, but rather the fandom. They seem to have a disproportionate number of douche bags to the rest of the schools around the country. We have seen it here first hand. Has nothing to do with who's favored or style of play

Living in chicago, I met a ton of MU fans who were complete asses.  Like most people in this country, i try my hardest not to judge the whole lot based on a few bad apples.  PITT fans like every other school has there share of "douche bags".   The problem is, the internet allows tough guys and "douche bags" to come out of the woodwork and provoke other fans.  Come to the Pete one time and then tell me what you think of PITT fans.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:54:11 PM by mckst7 »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »
Not strange at all--Pitt is one of only two BE teams to make the tourney five years in a row.  Fans of the other teams tend to gang up on perennial winners.

UConn being the other team.. and UConn has definitely been as successful as Pitt if not more.. UConn and Pitt have been in the top 5 of the conference standings every year in for those 5 seasons (with UConn being higher than Pitt in over half of them not to mention having won the whole thing in 2004)... so by that logic UConn should be at least as trash-talked as Pitt.... but I don't really see any animosity towards them on almost any board.. generally a respect thing actually... so not sure I could say that your reason is the over-arching reason that this is going on.. no I'm thinking there must be something else.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 02:26:34 PM »
i'll throw in my two cents.  I have had 2 main reasons to dislike, or at least hold a grudge against, pitt.  first off has been their personnel over the years, specifically at the point.  i am not sure i have hated players as much as i hated brandin knight and carl krauser.  they were both ball hogging, camera mugging pgs who had to have their spotlight first over the success of the team.  which brings me to my second point, the perennial over-rating of pitt's basketball team.  this may seem a little strange because of the statistics found in the above link, but keep in mind that these are REGULAR SEASON stats.  if there is one thing that is certain in life, it is that pitt will never advance past the sweet 16 in the ncaa tournament, and yet every year, the analysts jump all over pitt like they are the second coming.  nothing irks me more than the media hyping up unworthy teams.  perhaps the loss of grandfather krauser will get you over the hump, and i can say that none of your players irritate me like those two.  some of my friends tell me my dislike of pitt is illogical, but for whatever reason , it is definitely there and very deep-seeded.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:39:14 PM by dwaderoy2004 »

UPitt89

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
I HAVE sensed that the wvu/pitt dislike seems to be stronger than the average.  Any particular reason?

Two reasons, basically.  But they boil down to the same reason:

1. We like to have sex with their sisters.

2. They like to have sex with their sisters as well.

ecompt

• All American
you gotta hand it to some Pitt fans...
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
they can be really funny at times. Best of luck Sunday.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 03:29:49 PM »
Ok I will bite.  I think, while true, that most fan bases have their share of douche bags, Pitt seems to have a disproportionate amount.  Now I will admit bias because not only am I a Marquette Alum, but I have been a Penn State guy since I could spell Nittany.  It just seems to be there is a constant overhyping of talent and skill of both football and basketball teams, as well as extend overassedness.  Now, I have met some very excellent Pitt fans, nicest people you could meet, but I sometimes wonder if they are the rule or exception based on other experiences.

In the end, I think Pitt-MU is going to turn into a really huge rivalry....it has a lot of the same elements as the Cincy-MU rivalry, right down to the styles of play.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 04:22:44 PM »
***Pitt seems to have a disproportionate amount

I still say nowhere near the proportion of, say, Louisville or Cincinnati.  They seem to be on par with Wisconsin.

On a percentage basis, DePaul takes the cake.  When their fan comes on our board and talks smack, they achieve 100% douche bag rating.  Then again, the sample size is so small that we should probably just ignore him.

My guess is the WVU/Pitt rivalry extends to the perceived differences in historical class structure--the steelworkers of Pittsburgh having higher social status than the coalminers of West Virginia.

mckst7

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 04:49:14 PM »
i am not sure i have hated players as much as i hated brandin knight and carl krauser.  they were both ball hogging, camera mugging pgs who had to have their spotlight first over the success of the team.

Brandin was a ball hog?   I am not quite sure I agree with that statement.  Regardless, almost every PITT fan will tell you, they were not happy with the nonsense Krauser displayed on the court, but he was still one of our own so we will defend him until we are blue in the face.  Sometimes even when a parent knows their child is wrong, they still must defend them if a non-family member is attacking them.  Krauser's game was much to be desired and we are definetly a better team without him this year.  

"if there is one thing that is certain in life, it is that pitt will never advance past the sweet 16 in the ncaa tournament"

Care to make a little wager on that?  We are a team that is driven by man to man defense and ball control offense.  We used to allow teams to beat themselves, but now we are a lot more balanced.  If a team had a star player (i.e. Dwayne Wade) or is very disciplined, they could beat us on any given night.  We are clearly not the most talented team in the conference, let alone the nation (although we are the most talented team PITT has had in 20 years).  Our highest recruits on the team are probably Sam Young and Tyrell Biggs, neither of which has lived up to their hype this year, yet we continue to win against many different teams and styles.  

PITT plays as a team, as individuals we would probably just make the NCAA tournament.  This is the best team and talent we have had in the last 20 years.  While we cant out-talent the likes of UNC, Florida, Kansas, Wisconsin and probably even Marquette, we play better as a team then any of them.  At some point, immense talent can overcome an incredible team effort as we saw with Florida last year and probably this year.  They are not only as talented as you can get, they play very well as a team, unlike a Kansas or UNC which will probably be 1st or 2nd round upsets.  

Hopefully this will be our year, although I say this every year!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 07:13:26 PM by mckst7 »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »
I never rooted for Pitt more than when they beat Madison at the BC in 2004.   What a great day to stick it to all of those Badger fans, chanting "Let's Go Pitt!" as we were leaving the BC in our MU gear.

That's why Pitt always has a special place in my heart.

gopitt

• Walk-On
Greetings MU fans!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 05:09:06 PM »
Only two things I'll dispute:

Anyone who says Brandin Knight was a ball-hog or dirty player has never really watched him play as he was definitely neither.  What he was, was the most talented player on a team full of over-achievers and oftentimes offensively had to take the whole team on his back.  As a person, he is one the most soft-spoken and understated young men you'll ever meet.

Accepting the opinion of Pitt from anyone connected to WVU or Penn State is the same as if I went onto badger nation and asked them what they thought of MU fans. ::)

NO ONE is taking this game lightly.  In fact most have this as being the hardest home game that Pitt will have this year.  And most have our game with you up there penciled in as a loss.  It has been an enigmatic year for your team, but when you're clicking, well, you can stay with anyone in the nation.

For all traveling to the game, enjoy the Pete!  It is a great basketball environment and you'll be treated with respect.

Good Luck to you (except for Sunday at 3 PM, of course!)  Go Big East!  Hail to Pitt!

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:17 PM »
i emant no ill will to you guys personally.  and i do agree that you are a much better team without krauser.  for me, what sets you guys apart this year is mike cook, giving you the ability to bring in a little "microwave" in ramon off the bench.  you guys are definitley a balanced and well coached team, and this may very well be the year you guys get over the hump.  as a fellow big east school, i'll root for you guys once the ncaas start...but not a day sooner, as i'm sure you understand. 

UPitt89

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 09:49:28 PM »
***Pitt seems to have a disproportionate amount

I still say nowhere near the proportion of, say, Louisville or Cincinnati.  They seem to be on par with Wisconsin.

On a percentage basis, DePaul takes the cake.  When their fan comes on our board and talks smack, they achieve 100% douche bag rating.  Then again, the sample size is so small that we should probably just ignore him.

My guess is the WVU/Pitt rivalry extends to the perceived differences in historical class structure--the steelworkers of Pittsburgh having higher social status than the coalminers of West Virginia.

Maybe originally.... but there isn't any steel workers left in Pittsburgh.   Now Pitt's major industry is mostly the medical field.

...which probably makes us even MORE uppity when compared to the WV coalminers.

;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 06:14:25 AM »
Hey, kudos to the Pitt fans who have come here and made reasoned, passionate defenses of their team without raising to the level of jerk.   You represent well.   You are making it tough to hate your team.  I am still going to try, though, at least through the weekend.  ;)    For the record, I admire what your team is doing and think a split for the season is likely.   I sure wish you would have beat bucky.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 09:06:47 AM »
Its interesting to see the talk of Brandin Knight on here.  I knew he was highly regarded when he was at Pitt and while I watched him a few times during the course of the regular season his final year at Pitt, I didn't ever recall seeing anything dirty in him.  However, he came off very poorly during our sweet 16 game that year and while I don't recall exactly what he was doing, I lost a lot of respect for him that game. That game, a few of Krausers exploits last year and the push on James does make me dislike Pitt more than some of our other rivals.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

UPitt89

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »
Its interesting to see the talk of Brandin Knight on here.  I knew he was highly regarded when he was at Pitt and while I watched him a few times during the course of the regular season his final year at Pitt, I didn't ever recall seeing anything dirty in him.  However, he came off very poorly during our sweet 16 game that year and while I don't recall exactly what he was doing, I lost a lot of respect for him that game. That game, a few of Krausers exploits last year and the push on James does make me dislike Pitt more than some of our other rivals.
I understand opposing team fans' dislike for Krauser.

The dislike for Knight is puzzling.  He was never a dirty player.

And the guy who called him a "ball hog" is simply clueless.  He's Pitt's all-time assist leader with nearly 800 over his career.

Brandin's problem was that he was ~30% from 3P and ~50% from the FT line.  He was a great "floor general", but a HORRIBLE shooter.  And he never did anything to show up the opposition like Krauser did.

Knight and Krauser were as different as night and day.  They had nothing in common in their styles of play or their personalities other than the name on the front of their jerseys.

feedback