Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was Buzz Williams character revealed today?  (Read 8080 times)

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
Was Buzz Williams character revealed today?
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
In that postgame radio interview?

mwbauer7

• All American
Re: Was Buzz Williams character revealed today?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 09:54:04 PM »
no

muole

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »
no.  he owned up to it right away and mac thinks it's no big deal.  no.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
I'd say it was the first crack in his armor, but overall it shows he's human. I feel bad for Mac; it seemed like a perfectly innocent question.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
I would answer this with - maybe a little. 

That isn't to say this is a huge deal, but it is hard to say that this doesn't at least say a little about who he is.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 10:02:27 PM »
Yes.  His true character was revealed in the later of the two interviews when he said he did not handle the question well the first time.  A lot of people wouldn't admit the mistake.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »
I think Buzz was just saying what we all have been thinking. Many have said something close to what he has said. Especially since Buzz said in the press conference that it has been something that has been bugging him for awhile. Like most of us, if something is bugging us, and we hear anything near the subject it could set us off. And he ard something about the focus and the hype of our team, and went on saying that people in the media are overlooking what the team has done, and just look at the schedule and box score, not how we have one. I fel if the "experts" have seen how we won rather than maybe just highlights or box scores, they would be saying something else. I think Buzz really cares about those guys and makes sure that they get the credit they deserve. I imagine the next post game Buzz will apologize to everyone like someone has said, probably a little too much. Based on Rosiak's blog he acknowledged his mistake and try to make it right.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »
There have been a number of .. quirks .. that Buzz has displayed in his past, both at NO and MU.  This is hardly the first moment where Buzz's public behavior has raised some eyebrows.

I am hopeful that someone at MU .. whether that's someone in the AD hierarchy, or Coach Layer, or his wife, or one of those coaches he's sent 158 letters and 98 postcards to .. will take him aside and point this stuff out. 

In the end, he's got to get control of 100% of that part of the job .. he's probably at 98% .. it's that 2% that gets you in trouble. -- And times are really, really good right now.  They won't always be that way.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »
The interview is "what happens" when Buzz is "too honest" for his own good.
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
Disagree.  What he said didn't come from an over-abundance of honesty.   That wouldn't have made the kind of waves this has.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:36:50 PM »
Of course, he actually didn't apologize to Mac, just said he didn't handle the question well.

What gets me though is why this is even a source of a problem for Buzz. Who cares what others think when you have won 11 games in a row, are 8-0 in conference and #8 in the country. How is he going to react to a losing streak?

Lighten up Francis.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
No.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »
It showed exactly how much he respects this team and their work ethic; I didn't think it was a big deal and his post game interview explanation really enlightened me to how much he cares for this team and the lengths he would go to protect them.

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »
Don't know if it has anything to do with character, but Buzz's defensiveness reveals something that was probably bothering him for a long time. He needs to loosen his collar and enjoy the ride. If he's worried about being disrespected when his team is playing great, what is he going to do next year when his inexperienced team struggles?

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:34 AM »
If TC had reacted in a similar way during an Indiana postgame interview, the same folks who are defending Buzz right now would be jumping down Crean's throat. That's a fact.

Look, an unwarranted postgame blowup doesn't make someone a bad person. But it does cause me to start wondering about this guy's mental toughness and his emotional stability. Not good traits to be displaying in the midst of a fantastic winning streak.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 08:26:40 AM »
I am a big Buzz fan.  I think he is doing a great job and I hope he stays at MU for a long time.  That being said, I think this incident reveals another facet of his personality.  I am not a psychologist, only a keen observer and  I would say that he is obsessive-compulsive with a tendency to wear his emotions on his sleeves.  

Regarding his obsessive compulsiveness he has mentioned several times about his obsessiveness regarding clothing and numbers (e.g., how many days he is on the job).  I think the attention to detail and organizational skills that comes along with this trait helps him in coaching and recruiting.  Anyone who can write hundreds of letters every week for years on end has to be very organized which has helped him succeed.  

I am not sure it is related to his obsessiveness but Buzz is known for getting choked up and emotional (to the point of crying) in various public forums.   I seem to recall that after his first victory (I think it was an exhibition game) he got a little choked up when he was interviewed after the game.   Now we have seen another side of his personality where he lashed out in a rather negative way for no apparent reason at an unsuspecting target.  If this had been after a loss or a truly stupid question, then I would be tend to just say it was the stress of the moment.  However, I think the nature of his blow up reveals something else is brewing there beneath the surface.  

That being said, I hope Buzz learns from the incident and becomes better as a result.  I do hope the added pressure of being in the national limelight will not lead to further incidents.   I hope he and his supporting cast (other coaches, the administration, his family, etc.) help him channel his amazing traits in positive directions.  Most of all, I hope such incidents do not effect recruiting.  The best would be if this all blows over and Buzz figures out how to deal with his issues and it never sees the light of day again.    

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
downtown85 outstanding observations.

Can any of us understand the self-imposed pressure Buzz has?  This is a time where he needs friends and family to talk with him.  He is a human pessure cooker and he needs some help channeling things.  Who wouldn't.  He has one of the hottest teams in America and lets be frank no one expected this level of achievement.  He is living a dream he's worked 20 years to achieve.

The good news is this is nothing like the BS that Bobby Knight of Huggy Bear pulled.  We're talking about a short response to a questions during a post game interview.  Heck McGuire blew off a higher level of steam.

I think Coach Layer is in a perfect position to help Buzz deal with the building media circus.

MUFan71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
 Tulsa the human pressure cooker thing that is right on. I would tend to think that is not good for your health in the long run. He hopefully will learn to control it a little or will he burn out?

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »
"Rookie" coach, incredibly successful start, lots of media pressure - literally, a whole new "ball game" experience  Could happen to any of us in the same situation, and he'll learn from it (Coach Layer will help).  Next year when we're at 19 and 2, Buzz'll will be much calmer, no? 
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Pardner

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »
Great points all throughout.

If you look at his pattern of "awkward moments", it always seems to be right after the game.  While it shows Buzz's character that he wants his players front and center all the time, the fact is, he IS the story.   The press wants to hear from the most successful and highly ranked first year coach...he is the news.  Annoyance or awkward wording is just a reflection of not decompressing and being new to the pressure cooker--especially for a guy who is admittedly emotional.  It was tough watching his presser after the ND game...he looked like he just went through a 15 round heavyweight fight.  Broeker and crew need to get him a pr coach...and maybe a hobby.  We don't want him to go Ricky Byrdsong on us (may he RIP).  

Go Buzz!  The watering holes were on fire after the game.  Buzz's attention to detail is pushing these guys to new levels...the Fan 4+ just keep coming at their opponenets.  It must be brutal to have to prepare for MU if you are an opposing coach.  Keep the big picture in perspective.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:07:47 AM by Pardner »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »
Buzz is in a huge pressure cooker for the first time in his life.   He goofed.   If past is predictor of future, he will apologize and learn from it.    He is a young man by head coaching standards with a top 10 team that is 8-0 in the deepest conference in America.   He has beat two really good programs this week that are a combined 6-12 in conference.   He wants to make this about his players while simultaneously keeping them focused on the next game.   He has ever mounting outside demands on his OCD schedule due to his success.    Acknowledging and learning from a mistake is the sign of maturity and character.   Give the guy a chance.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 11:20:32 AM »
I agree with Dry White Toast 100%

His true character was revealed when he apologized during the press conference.  Not many Coaches in D1 would ever apologize for something they said.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »
Anybody know where I can find the audio of his comments?  I didn't see it on the Milwaukee ESPN site.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
www.crackedsidewalks.com

Thanks Warrior05.  I read the transcript and I think it's a non-event.  I personally feel Mac is ... edit.

Edit: Only Tom Crean can be called that!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:00:52 PM by mu_hilltopper »
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3