Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was Buzz Williams character revealed today?  (Read 8081 times)

lurch91

• All American
Re: Was Buzz Williams character revealed today?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
Look, an unwarranted postgame blowup doesn't make someone a bad person. But it does cause me to start wondering about this guy's mental toughness and his emotional stability. Not good traits to be displaying in the midst of a fantastic winning streak.

Bobby Knight had post game melt downs two to four times a season.  He "managed" to do ok.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »
Bobby Knight had post game melt downs two to four times a season.  He "managed" to do ok.

If I'm reading this right you are comparing his character to that of Bobby Knight's.  That certainly is NOT a compliment.  Sure the guy won a lot of games, but I would never consider him a high character guy.  I can't wait for people to come back with the Bobby Knight did things the right way, blah, blah, blah.  End the day, he was an a-hole. 

Buzz is not one, he had a bad moment that will quickly be forgotten.  Comparing him to Knight is an insult.  Winning basketball games doesn't give you the right to be a prick.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »
Having read the transcript, it seems to me that Buzz was defending his players , albeit in an over-the-top manner that made Mac an undeserved target. Mac's question -  implies that as the team gets more attention, their focus would (could) waiver and they'd fall prey to distractions. Buzz's reply - in an excessive manner - defended the team in that he's saying anyone who's been around those kids, and around the program (like Mac) shouldn't be questioning their ability to retain focus. It's essentially what he said in the press conference, in a more reasonable manner (i.e. this team is tough, has good character, will go to work every day despite the additional attention, yada yada).

I think Buzz mistook the intent behind the question, and his over-the-top response to it was done as a defense of his team, not some crackup under overwhelming pressure.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:24:31 PM by Pakuni »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 12:42:14 PM »
Thanks Warrior05.  I read the transcript and I think it's a non-event.  I personally feel Mac is ... edit.

Edit: Only Tom Crean can be called that!

Sorry Hilltopper!  I just feel we're blowing this out of proportion... I know what a shock for a message board!  If Buzz said that to Katz or Hunt, we'd be cheering him on.  I'm not a fan of Mac and let it get the better of me.  Can I call him a tool?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 01:05:09 PM »
I agree with Dry White Toast 100%

His true character was revealed when he apologized during the press conference.  Not many Coaches in D1 would ever apologize for something they said.
He owned up to it, but I have yet to see any actual apology...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
He owned up to it, but I have yet to see any actual apology...

Why would you see an apology?
If there's an apology - and quite honestly I don't think it's necessary - it should be made to Mac. And only Mac.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
I think this was all planned.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
If Buzz said that to Katz or Hunt, we'd be cheering him on.

If Buzz had been interviewed by Jay Bilas, or Dick Vitale, or Andy Katz, he wouldn't have brought out that angry, condescending bluster.  Why he betrayed an attitude of disdain and superiority toward Mac we can only guess.  We can explain it away by citing the stress of the moment, the big game, the grind of the conference schedule, etc., but I think it was evidence of something personal there.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 06:06:47 AM »
This type of Bush league talk is ridiculous. 
Buzz gets hired...people think it was a mistake.
Buzz recruits a top 10/5 class...people think we should wait until he doesn't have PT to sell to recruits.
Buzz goes 19-2 and 8-0 in the BEast...people think we need to wait until he does this with his "own" players
Buzz defends his players after he misinterprets a question...people think his "true" character is revealed.

When does he get the benefit of the doubt?  What if we were 3-5 in the BEast?  Would all these detractors cut him some slack because these aren't his players?  Hell no, this board would be calling for his head and driving home the fact that the administration did a poor job of looking for a HC.
I'd hate to be in his shoes...if he wins, it was despite him if they loose (the team) it's because of him...on top of that miserable situation he has to be questioned around every turn about decisions he makes.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »
Buzz defends his players after he misinterprets a question...people think his "true" character is revealed.

I'm calling BS on that, muarmy.

WHO here said "Buzz's true character is revealed."??? Who?  Answer:  no one.  The title of the thread was "Was Buzz Williams character revealed today?"  Notice the word "was" and the question mark at the end?

The first two posts said "no" .. about the worst you could point out was someone said "a little."

It's amazing how in the Crean era, there were those who hated Crean, and those who defended him .. now we've got a new group of defenders, on the lookout for any sleight of Buzz so they can jump on the offenders.  Freaking amazing.   

Everyone DID cut him some slack, and will keep on doing so.   These are indeed, good times.

feedback