[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: For MU/Packer (or Viking) Fans only  (Read 11523 times)

MUEng92

• All American
OT: For MU/Packer (or Viking) Fans only
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:05:16 PM »
Which would send you into a bigger funk?

The Chicago Bears winning the Super Bowl or the Badgers being ranked #1 in the country?

For me its like deciding if I want to break my left leg or my right leg, either way it is going to be painful and probably lead to nausea.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: OT: For MU/Packer (or Viking) Fans only
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:32:54 PM »
The Badgers being ranked #1 isn't quite it.  If they were #1 at the end of the season, or you'd put they'd won the Nat. Championship .. that's a better comparison to Bears/Superbowl.

I'd rather have the Bears win the Superbowl than the Badgers win the NC.  Chicago is still 90 miles south.  UW fans surround us.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »
the girls next door being ranked number one wouldn't bug me too much... I am almost expecting that to happen tomorrow..

not worried about the bears winning the super bowl or the rodents winning the championship.. I am doubting that either team will be in their respective championship game. ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:16:30 PM »
the girls next door being ranked number one wouldn't bug me too much... I am almost expecting that to happen tomorrow..

not worried about the bears winning the super bowl or the rodents winning the championship.. I am doubting that either team will be in their respective championship game. ;)

I would be surprised if UW-Madison is ranked #1 tomorrow. Most likely Florida or UCLA.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:53:01 PM »
No way uw is number one on Monday.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:08:03 PM »
I think it is safe to say that FL will be # 1 , at least that is my bet.  But no doubt that I would rather have Wisconsin do well than the Bears... easy question
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:20:02 AM »
Blasphemy!  You are banned.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 08:52:53 AM »
In a strange way I am almost pulling for the Bears. They have been so pathetic for so long, that they just don't bother me, nor do their fans really bother me. They know how bad they have been and are being pretty laid back about this whole thing (perhaps they know deep down how a match-up with an AFC team will end up).

Now, as far as the douche bags from Madison go, having them be ranked Number 1 wouldn't bother me too much, it'll make their eventual losses that much more enjoyable. If however they were to win the last college basketball game of the year and finish number one, I might have to stick my head in the oven.

Whether it is the Bears or Madison, I see flaws in both that will ultimatley prevent the unthinkable from happening, so hopefully all will be fine.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:37:28 PM »
In a strange way I am almost pulling for the Bears. They have been so pathetic for so long, that they just don't bother me, nor do their fans really bother me. They know how bad they have been and are being pretty laid back about this whole thing (perhaps they know deep down how a match-up with an AFC team will end up).

Being a Packer fan, living in Chicago, I can tell you that you can be no further from the truth, at least among my friends down here.  It was getting to the point I couldn't stand all the Superbowl talk, especially during the first 6 weeks of the season. Luckily, GB laid the a$$ whopping on them on Jan 31st, so I can keep the direct Packers attacks at bay, however the obnoxiousness is back in full force after yesterday's game.

If I hear "Good as Gould" on more time I think I may vomit.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
DJgoldnboy, I grew up in Illinois (Rockford, at least not in Chicago) as a Packer fan when the Bears were good.  Your view of Bear fans is how I remember it.  The Super Bowl Shuffle years corresponded to my high school years.  Pure hell to live through!

I can honestly say that the majority of Badger fans I know, in the end, aren't jerks even when talking about the Badgers.  But, I can name very few Bear fans that I know that don't turn from nice, likable people to complete jerks when discussing the Bears.

Anyway, based on the typical inverse relationship between victorious teams and who I want to win....bet heavily that the Bears will be playing the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

State

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 05:33:06 PM »
Without a doubt it would have to be the the Badgers winning it all!!!  Even though the '85 Bears happened last year in the minds of all my 'bear' friends and I would live another 20 years hearing about the '07 bears..the fan base flat out sucks.  They couldn't even sell out last weekend!! 

However, the Badgers winning it all would be awful in more ways than I could explain via a message board.

If the Panthers ever won it all I think my body would completely shut down.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 09:55:36 AM »
Did you say the Bears didn't sell out on Sunday?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 10:38:58 AM »
From the Chicago Tribune:

The Bears piled up 371 yards on offense despite losing 31 on three sacks of Grossman. They gave up 108 rushing yards to 2005 league Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander and lost momentum at times in a game they appeared to dominate early in front of a crowd of 55,525, many of whom had a little extra seating space because of the 6,659 no-shows.
Ludum habemus.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:16:37 AM »
From the Chicago Tribune:

The Bears piled up 371 yards on offense despite losing 31 on three sacks of Grossman. They gave up 108 rushing yards to 2005 league Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander and lost momentum at times in a game they appeared to dominate early in front of a crowd of 55,525, many of whom had a little extra seating space because of the 6,659 no-shows.

Those are tickets that the brokers got stuck with as the Chicago police are cutting down on scalping outside of Soldier.  Trust me... it was virtually impossible to get tickets without spending $500 a seat.  In the end, these brokers are killing professional sports... go on to ebay and see how outrageous ticket prices are for the NFC Championship game.  Min. $500 a seat to start. 

What's more annoying than a Bears fan??  Try a PACKERS fan!!

GO BEARS!![/size]
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 11:36:53 AM »
Trust me... it was virtually impossible to get tickets without spending $500 a seat. ..go on to ebay and see how outrageous ticket prices are for the NFC Championship game.  Min. $500 a seat to start. 

You make it sound like that is somehow unusual. How is that different from playoff games in any other NFL city? For crying out loud in Philly for their WC game a couple offered to let someone watch them having sex in excahnge for two tickets. Yet other cities don't see see more than 10% of their tickets go unused. Please don't try to argue that the brokers are the reason why. As George Thompson would say, that dog don't hunt.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »
I don't know where that no-show count came from. Being a season ticket holder and at the game (also having worked for the Bears and knowing people in their organization), I can tell you there were absolutely no seats available to the general public.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »
Trust me... it was virtually impossible to get tickets without spending $500 a seat. ..go on to ebay and see how outrageous ticket prices are for the NFC Championship game.  Min. $500 a seat to start. 

You make it sound like that is somehow unusual. How is that different from playoff games in any other NFL city? For crying out loud in Philly for their WC game a couple offered to let someone watch them having sex in excahnge for two tickets. Yet other cities don't see see more than 10% of their tickets go unused. Please don't try to argue that the brokers are the reason why. As George Thompson would say, that dog don't hunt.

I didn't imply that it is any different in any other city!  I can tell you that every avid Bears wanted to be at that game!  To even hint that the city isn't behind the team is assinine.  Brokers buy up all tickets and average fans get stuck paying through the nose or not going!  In fact, there were plenty of news stories last week on the nightly news that brokers weren't able to sell their tickets.  The brokers are the problem... how is it legal to buy a $50 ticket and turn around and sell it for $500 when a person can't do it on the street?  Professional services my ass... it's a scam!  They're crooks just like the guys on the street!

So what's your point?  Bears fans didn't want to attend the game?  Is that why there were empty seats?  Hardly!!

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »
From the Chicago Sun Times

(today http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/212301,CST-NWS-bears16.article ) : 

Brokers agreed the market for the Saints game is better than the Seahawks game, which had 6,600 no-shows.

The average selling price for a ticket to the NFC Championship is about $750 at online ticket broker TicketsNow, said Jennifer Swanson, spokeswoman for the Crystal Lake-based company.

It cost $492, on average, to watch the Bears squeak by the Seahawks, Swanson said.

"I think . . . and this is just my own personal opinion . . . that maybe we had a few skeptics amongst us," Swanson said. "But that has all changed."

From me:  I sort of want the the Bears to win (can you imagine the number of Katrina stories we will be subjected to if the Saints go to the Super Bowl?), but I guarantee you that there would never, ever, be that number of no shows at Lambeau Field for a play off game.  6,600 is, what, over 10% of the seating capacity at SF?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 08:11:59 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »

[/quote]
  The brokers are the problem... how is it legal to buy a $50 ticket and turn around and sell it for $500 when a person can't do it on the street?  Professional services my ass... it's a scam!  They're crooks just like the guys on the street!
[/quote]

Crooks who pay a licensing fee to the state to re-sell tickets. 
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »
I guess I don't see why anyone would consider them crooks. If you found a market that would routinely support you re-selling a product at a 300-400% premium, are you saying you wouldn't do it? Its called charging what the market will bear.

tonyreeder

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
Bears won the Super Bowl my freshman year at Marquette.  I had no strong feelings about Chicago fans up until that year. ( I grew up in Iowa).    That year soured me on Bear fans for the rest of my days.  The Super Bowl Shuffle was blasted at McCormick on every damn floor-annoying as hell.    In their eyes-it was a dynasty.  The next 4 Super Bowls were already decided.   Didn't quite work out that way.   Oh, and another thing.   Nice job getting the fat Fridge a touchdown in that game and not the greatest player to ever don your uniform.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 06:01:29 PM »
Bears won the Super Bowl my freshman year at Marquette.  I had no strong feelings about Chicago fans up until that year. ( I grew up in Iowa).    That year soured me on Bear fans for the rest of my days.  The Super Bowl Shuffle was blasted at McCormick on every damn floor-annoying as hell.    In their eyes-it was a dynasty.  The next 4 Super Bowls were already decided.   Didn't quite work out that way.   Oh, and another thing.   Nice job getting the fat Fridge a touchdown in that game and not the greatest player to ever don your uniform.

I could care less about the Pack or the Bears, but I did see something on tv the other day about biggest regrets.  Mike Ditka said his biggest regret in life was not having Payton score a touchdown.  He said he was so focused on the game and caught up in it that he didn't even realize Payton hadn't scored.  It was an interesting sound byte and you could tell the man was upset that he basically forgot to give Walter his opportunity.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 06:25:46 PM »
And yet we all forget what Walter Payton said about the scoring in the Super Bowl in his book.  Anybody that ever followed Walter Payton's carreer would know that scoring a td in the Super Bowl was the last thing he cared about.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 01:01:10 AM »
But, I can name very few Bear fans that I know that

Haha, this thread makes me laugh.

I love when people do this.  Every fan-base has d-bags, jerks, idiots, whatever you wanna call 'em.  Need I bring up the Packer fans on my floor who believe Green Bay is better than the Bears this year?  Yeah, that's intelligence right there...

"But...  but... we won that one game 26-7 on New Years, so that MUST mean we're better!  W00t!"

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 01:16:41 AM »
I hadn't planned to chime into this thread, but I feel I must.

For any Packer fan to claim Bear fans are obnoxious is so far beyond ridiculous it's not even funny. I, as a Bear fan, rooted for the Pack when they were in their heydey with back to back Super Bowl appearances. I don't understand the anger. I will say, in 1989, when the Pack made what appeared to be a "comeback" with Majik (how soon they forget!), I've never seen more obnoxious behavior...particularly during the faulted "replay game." The Pack is bad now. The Bears are good. Let's just be happy it's not the Vikings or the Lions.

Furthermore, I absolutely worshipped Walter Payton, but his behavior after not scoring a touchdown in the Super Bowl was completely juvenile. I choose not to remember Walter in this manner. I fully admit to crying when he died. He was a man in every sense of the word, but for Ditka to have to apologize for this situation  is absurd. Make no mistake, Payton did whine about it. In a perfect world, he would have scored. It didn't happen. I only recall after the TEAM'S biggest victory, he sulked. It was unlike him.

Incidentally, I was at Walter's final game at Lambeau. The Packers made a great presentation to him and the fans gave him a huge ovation. I guarantee you that the same thing would (and hopefully will) happen if Favre announces that next year is his last. He and Walter Payton are two peas in a pod and fans of both team were lucky to have watched two of the all time greats.

feedback