Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: For MU/Packer (or Viking) Fans only  (Read 11512 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: OT: For MU/Packer (or Viking) Fans only
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 09:06:59 AM »
As a GB native and DIEHARD Packers fan, I can tell you this: from my experience, Packers fans, as a whole are:

1. Some of the most loyal fans you will ever encounter
2. Some of the most vocal/opinionated fans you will ever encounter
3. Some of the most obnoxious, uneducated (re: the sport), defensive fans you will ever encounter.

Every fanbase has its fair share of obnoxious idiots. Bears, Cubs, Sox (Red and White), Yankees, Lakers, Packers etc....

I still can't bring myself to root for the Bears this season. Not because of the fans, or the rivalry, or any of the Packers-Bears history, but because I just don't think they're that good. Yes, they have the best record in the NFC. Yes, they won the division by 5 games. However, the QB is a trainwreck, they played the easiest schedule in the league (by no fault of their own, I understand that) and they didn't even show up for the season finale, against their biggest rival, at home, in prime time, on national TV. What happened to "Our #1 priority is to beat the Packers."?

Sorry. End of rant. I still believe the winner of the AFC Championship will also win the Super Bowl. And I'm not particularly thrilled about that either.

Anyway, how long until MU-PITT?  ;D

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
I still believe the winner of the AFC Championship will also win the Super Bowl.

I'm sure most can agree on that. Perhaps that is the unifying point that can bring Bear and Packer fans together.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 09:59:54 AM »
If the Saints lose this weekend, I honestly may not watch the Superbowl this year.  All of the three remaining teams have storylines that make me want to vomit. 

Petyon with a ring?  Good God No.  (I'll give him the commercials are funny, but I can't stand the guy and the way he always throws someone under the bus when they lose.)
The Pats with another? Again, please no.  Would Belichick finally be able to buy a new sweatshirt then?

The Bears?  PLEASE SHOOT ME NOW.

I can catch all the good commericals on youtube later anyway.....

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 10:12:56 AM »
A Bears-Patriots SB would leave everyone looking for a place to vomit. For anyone within 100 miles of Chicago, the '85 Bears talk just doesn't stop. Can you imagine the contrived stories leading up to that game if the Bears play the Patriots again?

While I actually think the Saints going to the Super Bowl would be a very good thing for that city, that storyline would be played very quickly as well.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 11:31:50 AM »
DA BEARS

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »
STILL SUCK.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »
Ahh, bitter Packer fans.  MUFan12, if the Bears suck, what does that say about the Packers?

Ohh, right... 

Not because of the fans, or the rivalry, or any of the Packers-Bears history, but because I just don't think they're that good.

I agree with you that the AFC Championship game winner will also end up being the SuperBowl winner.  The Bears defense hasn't been the same since Tommie Harris went down.  IMO, Rivera hasn't done a good enough job adjusting; it seems like he thinks sending his front four alone will be good enough to get pressure without using a blitz.  That hasn't happened, and if Brees has as much time as Hasselbeck had, he'll pick apart the Bears secondary.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 10:34:17 PM »
Ahh, bitter Packer fans.  MUFan12, if the Bears suck, what does that say about the Packers?

I agree with you that the AFC Championship game winner will also end up being the SuperBowl winner.  The Bears defense hasn't been the same since Tommie Harris went down.  IMO, Rivera hasn't done a good enough job adjusting; it seems like he thinks sending his front four alone will be good enough to get pressure without using a blitz.  That hasn't happened, and if Brees has as much time as Hasselbeck had, he'll pick apart the Bears secondary.

I don't think anyone here is defending the current incarnation of the Pack  ;D

Thanks for mentioning the Bears D. Those guys were downright scary for the first 8-9 weeks of the season... Something about 26-0 burned into my memory... Anyway... That's another reason why I can't see them winning it all. The strength of the team has taken a substantial nose dive -- injuries/off-field issues playing major roles in that process. Would I like to see the Bears win the Super Bowl? Sure. Why not. Gotta respect the Bears. Rivals. Come on. But I'd like to see them play through a good season without endless comparisons to 1985 and Super Bowl Shuffle references.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »

I agree with you that the AFC Championship game winner will also end up being the SuperBowl winner. 
[/quote]

Did nobody learn from just a couple weeks ago when the pundits were saying that the national championship was determined in the MIchigan/OSU game in november, only to have them both blown out badly in thier bowl games.  Or how about those Cardinals, who didn't even deserve to to be on the same field as the Tigers.  How was that championship parade in Detroit by the way??
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 01:56:50 AM »
Did nobody learn from just a couple weeks ago when the pundits were saying that the national championship was determined in the MIchigan/OSU game in november, only to have them both blown out badly in thier bowl games.  Or how about those Cardinals, who didn't even deserve to to be on the same field as the Tigers.  How was that championship parade in Detroit by the way??

Hey man, it's just an opinion.  Of course anything can happen over the course of 60 minutes, and that's mainly due to luck.  I'm just saying that I'd rate both New England and Indy as better teams than either of the two NFC teams.  That's not to say that in a one game setting, with everything on the line, that one of the two NFC teams couldn't wind up winners, just saying that the two AFC teams are better.

And that also applies to baseball as well.  There's no doubt in my mind that the Tigers were a better team last year than the Cards, but in a seven game series, anything can happen. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:59:08 AM by CWSKeith »

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 11:45:03 AM »
I really want all four teams to lose. I guess I kind of want the Saints to win, but mostly because I hate the other 3. I think the NFL should stop the playoffs now and call it a tie....

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »
I really want all four teams to lose. I guess I kind of want the Saints to win, but mostly because I hate the other 3. I think the NFL should stop the playoffs now and call it a tie....

Second!  :D