'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is it over for DePaul?  (Read 50111 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Re: Is it over for DePaul?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
let's just hope the players dont have this same feeling and mentality about DePaul goinginto Saturday's game.  The two games against DPU are truly must wins and hopefully we have no let downs. 

jce

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »
In a perfect world, it's great if DePaul AND MU are forces, similar to Michigan and Michigan State. But...unlike those two state universities, Marquette and DePaul have many more factors going against them.

- both are private
- both are located in urban areas where there's a huge competiton for players
- both are located in states where there's only one truly dominant D-1, state university (U of I, UW-Madison)

So far, MU has been able to land much better local, midwest talent (the Big Three) than DePaul. And, it appears that MU has done better at becoming a player outside its comfort zone (south, east coast).

Marquette and DePaul are very different schools though.  Marquette is richer, has more on-campus students, has more of a national academic presense, and has a much, much better arena situation.  Put it this way, if Georgetown is on one end of the spectrum, and DePaul is on the other, MU is much closer to Georgetown than it is to DePaul.

jce

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »
DePaul is floundering.  It has gone through 3 Coaches in 10 years.  Each was able to recruit for 1 year and 1 year only.  Each coach also had their own agenda that ruined their stay with the University.  Call them "Bad Hires", or what ever.  But, we have not recruited the best available Coach, and it has shown.

What was wrong with Leitao?  He was one of the top assistants in the country when hired right?  He got them to the NCAAs and an CUSA regular season championship.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
JW does have a nice front page on his website.

http://www.jerrywainwright.com/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:39:37 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
Once DePaul University makes the necessary commitment to basketball, you'd be surprised how quickly it can turn around especially in a city with talent like Chicago. But yes, it takes money and commitment on the school's part just as it happened at MU.

For once, you and I agree 100%.

DePaul is a sleeping giant.

There are a lot of infrastructure problems there... but if they get the right people in place, and commit to a good plan, DePaul could be a Big East power in 5 years or less.

The difference in MU from 98 to 2002 was night and day, and even bigger from 98-08.

DePaul could do the same thing if they get the right people in place. (President, AD, Coach, PG, etc.)

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
One thing that could give the DePaul program some temporary lift...a win at the BC on Saturday.

THIS THREAD FEELS LIKE ONE GIANT JINX!!!

freshjive2103

• Walk-On
    • Blue Demons Nation
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »

What was wrong with Leitao?  He was one of the top assistants in the country when hired right?  He got them to the NCAAs and an CUSA regular season championship.
Leitao succeed with PK's players. Leitao would probably be an upgrade from Wainwright at this point, but a significant one? Nope. Additionally, Leitao recruiting classes were good on paper, but on the court, not as much (see UVA's record).

Of his 2003 class, Mejia was the only one who really succeeded. Wesley Green was a bust, as was Lorenzo Thompson. Tyler Smith was more interested in medicinal pleasure than basketball, and Marcus Heard underachieved in his career. 2004 brought marginal talent and 2005 had Chandler who was a star, Currie who has been average at best, and Rashad Woods who could hardly get off the bench as a freshman at DePaul and now at Kent State, is not even starting there.

freshjive2103

• Walk-On
    • Blue Demons Nation
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »
One thing that could give the DePaul program some temporary lift...a win at the BC on Saturday.

THIS THREAD FEELS LIKE ONE GIANT JINX!!!
A win would lift the spirits of the players, but beyond that, I think the effects of a win on DePaul fans, DePaul administration and DePaul coaches would ultimately be minimal at best.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »
emphasis was on the jinx...not the lift

mviale

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 02:20:19 PM »
Talk about jinx - every game in the BE is tough.  DePaul has some talent and their coach is trying to find a spark.  Look what Harvard did to Boston College.  We are 5-0 in the BE, because we have played our hearts out and have not run into a serious Big Man team.  Depaul will be a good test.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »
This game has trap written all over it with an 0-6 team with nothing to lose coming to the BC after our great road win at PC, a long week, and a possible look ahead to a Big Monday matchup on ESPN with ND....I don't think our Seniors will let up but this game may be a lot closer than some of us think.  Koshwal could kill us inside.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
Depaul has the perfect inside/outside with Koshwal and Tucker.  They also have serious size ready to bang with our 6'5" power forwards.

This game will be a challenge and we will be lucky to get a win.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »

There are a lot of infrastructure problems there... but if they get the right people in place, and commit to a good plan, DePaul could be a Big East power in 5 years or less.

The difference in MU from 98 to 2002 was night and day, and even bigger from 98-08.

DePaul could do the same thing if they get the right people in place. (President, AD, Coach, PG, etc.)

Good, glad you've seen the light. Welcome aboard.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
I don't recall exactly when the "final push" for the Al officially began, but I believe it started right after the game against UK in the Elite Eight and ended shortly after the NCAA tournament was completed.  $4.5M in a couple weeks is a lot of money for any program to raise in a short time.

When I was at MU I worked at the phonathon, and I specifically remember the day after the Elite Eight win being the biggest single fundraising day in my 4 years there.  I think the university did end up raising a couple million in that week alone.  It was ridiculous. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »
Depaul has the perfect inside/outside with Koshwal and Tucker.  They also have serious size ready to bang with our 6'5" power forwards.

Was that last sentence supposed to be in teal?  I sure hope so.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »

Good, glad you've seen the light. Welcome aboard.

It's your modesty that makes you so special.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
Let me begin by saying that I am not trying to mock DePaul or start an arguement.  My simple questions is "Is it over for DePaul?"

What I mean is that I just don't see them ever really competing in the Big East.  They just seem like a lost program.  It doesn't seem like the university is that concerned with them, the student body doesn't seem concerned, and they can't protect their own backyard when it comes to recruiting. 

There is some solid history at DePaul, but I just don't ever see them coming back until the University gives a darn again. Any thoughts?

Dave Laitao (sp?) did some good things there only a few years ago.  He left for Virginia where he's struggling.  I think DePaul can do it but it takes the right kind of coach (I'll argue forever that the same thing is in play at Marquette....DePaul is proof positive that the program doesn't just make the coach).

mviale

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 03:17:50 PM »
Was that last sentence supposed to be in teal?  I sure hope so.

No, I think the DePaul game will be tough.  They are young, but talented and have size.  if they are motivated, we could be in trouble.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 03:19:35 PM »

Thank you for visiting the site, Mr. Holtz.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »
It's really too bad Depaul has two outstanding players in Tucker and Koshwal,  MU would be scary good with Koshwal but with him being 6'10" he was not in Tommy Naismith's recruiting scope. 

There you go confusing facts with opinions.  Both Tucker and Koshwal were recruited by MU but Tucker was no better than anyone we already had at that size.  For Koshwal, you are simply wrong.

Marquette offered a scholarship to him under Tom Crean (as did USC, LSU, Tennessee, Louisville, DePaul, OSU, Cal and others).

He was most certainly a target, he stayed close to home for a number of reasons which shall remain nameless (not hard to find out).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

That reminds me of each year when our softball season was over.  We'd think .. "man, if we just had a good shortstop, we'd be a great team.  Well, and a good 2nd baseman.   Our outfield needs to be replaced too, and we need guys who can hit.   If we could just replace all of us, we could win the whole thing next year!!!"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
No, I think the DePaul game will be tough.  They are young, but talented and have size.  if they are motivated, we could be in trouble.  

They're not that young. They start two seniors and a junior to go with two sophomores who have played pretty much every game since they got on campus.
And it's hard to buy the notion that they're talented. They've yet to win a conference game despite a pretty soft schedule that's included two against South Florida (one of which was a 22-point loss at home), have home losses to Morgan State and Cincinnati and were beaten by 26 at Northwestern.
Size they do have, and yet they're one of the worst rebounding teams in the conference (a -2.7 margin on the season).

An MU loss Saturday would be an enormous upset and disappointment.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
Their leaders are sophomores. I agree, I will not be jumping around if we lose.  However, please keep in mind the premise of the original post.  These guys are not done and could easily put it together with some motivation Buzz.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »
That reminds me of each year when our softball season was over.  We'd think .. "man, if we just had a good shortstop, we'd be a great team.  Well, and a good 2nd baseman.   Our outfield needs to be replaced too, and we need guys who can hit.   If we could just replace all of us, we could win the whole thing next year!!!"

Yea, fair point.

However, in this case I think a domino effect is in play.

If the university president can find the right AD...

then the AD can find the right coach...

who can find the right players...

who can win games and get the alumni excited...

which can generate donations to rebuild the infrastructure (which was/is weak)...

which can attract better players/coaches if the first coach moves on...

Sound familiar? Yes. Gonzaga. Marquette.

Sound easy? Yes. I just wrote this in a minute.

Is it? No.

But, it can happen quickly in basketball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Yea, fair point.

However, in this case I think a domino effect is in play.

If the university president can find the right AD...

then the AD can find the right coach...

who can find the right players...

who can win games and get the alumni excited...

which can generate donations to rebuild the infrastructure (which was/is weak)...

which can attract better players/coaches if the first coach moves on...

Sound familiar? Yes. Gonzaga. Marquette.

Sound easy? Yes. I just wrote this in a minute.

Is it? No.

But, it can happen quickly in basketball.

Or we could do it the MU way:

Hire an interim AD because searching for candidates is too hard.

Hire an existing Assistant Coach because interviewing other candidates is too hard.

End up with your 3rd season in a row breaking the top 10 national rankings and pull in a top 20 recruiting class.

Not that hard, DePaul  :-*

feedback