Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did Buzz run the score up at the end?  (Read 9210 times)

greenman

• Starter
  • 4,000 MU Fans on WI. AVE after Kentucky in elite 8
Did Buzz run the score up at the end?
« on: January 10, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
From the WV Scout:

"At the end of the game, Huggins shot a couple of icy stares in the direction of first-year MU head coach Buzz Williams as the Golden Eagle starters continued to bomb away with the game well in hand. Senior guard Dominic James drained a 3 with 25 seconds to play.

“At the end, they were having fun. They were having a lot of fun. They’ll have a lot of fun the next time we play them,” said an obviously-perturbed Huggins. "

http://westvirginia.scout.com/2/828942.html

Huggy bear dishing out threats after a huge loss? You stay classy, West Virginia!  ;D
"I don't give a damn if he can't do nothing else. He can shoot, and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, can't rebound, can't play defense... that kid can shoot the ball." - Tracy McGrady on Steve Novak

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Did Buzz run the score up at the end?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »
there was a point with about a minute and a half left where we had the ball and Buzz was signaling to space it out and just keep the ball outside.  When they had an open look with the shot clock winding down they'd jack up a shot and knock it down. I don't see the problem in that. There was one possession i remember late where we took a shot early in the shot clock. I looked at Buzz and he looked a little like, ok guys, we can just keep possession. But w/e. It's a BEAST game and I'm sure Thuggy Bear has never done the same.  ::)

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
I don't know about you but it feels good to have Huggy Bear pissed at MU again.   He bent over and took it this year and we may next year, but I'll be damned if we won't enjoy the present circumstances. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:23 PM »
I think if there had been a stop in the action over the last 2 min, Buzz would have yanked DJ and Jerel with bench warmers .. but the action never stopped.  DJ did put up a 3 that wasn't necessary .. but that's the only possession I'd say was over the top.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »
I don't know about you but it feels good to have Huggy Bear pissed at MU again.   He bent over and took it this year and we may next year, but I'll be damned if we won't enjoy the present circumstances. 

+1

and when did "Thuggins" become the Mother Teresa of college B-ball that everyone must respect and not embarrass?

Buzz also deserves kudos from learning from the Rutgers game.  When we were up by 20 he brought in Acker et. al and Rutgers got right back in it.  Was he suppose to repeat that mistake?

Finally, what's wrong with rubbing Thuggins nose in it with DeShonte Riley sitting at the end of the bench?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »
From the WV Scout:

"At the end of the game, Huggins shot a couple of icy stares in the direction of first-year MU head coach Buzz Williams as the Golden Eagle starters continued to bomb away with the game well in hand. Senior guard Dominic James drained a 3 with 25 seconds to play.

“At the end, they were having fun. They were having a lot of fun. They’ll have a lot of fun the next time we play them,” said an obviously-perturbed Huggins. "

http://westvirginia.scout.com/2/828942.html

Huggy bear dishing out threats after a huge loss? You stay classy, West Virginia!  ;D

I said the same thing to my son....when DJ took that 3 pointer, Huggins looked really pissed off.  He was already angry after the T but DJ probably could have avoided taking that 3.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
I said the same thing to my son....when DJ took that 3 pointer, Huggins looked really pissed off.  He was already angry after the T but DJ probably could have avoided taking that 3.

I agree.  Huggybear dishing out threats is uncalled for.  Next time we have a big lead on West Virginia we will make sure we get shot clock violations on our last few possessions so that we don't irate the WARDEN.   ::)

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Let me understand... With the shot clock winding down in the last minute, James launched a 3 and hit it.  According to Huggins, what should he have done?  Drive to the hole and risk an undercut by a classy WV wingman?  Let it run out and take an undeserved turnover? ::) 

A new phrase is coined today... WWHD. 

What would Huggins do.

Stay classy, Morgantown!

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »
Somebody should tell Huggy to look at the score chart that ESPN.com puts up with their recaps.  From the point when Butler fouls out, MU's line goes up at about a 45 degree angle while WVU's virtually flatlines.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
I've seen teams come back from 20 down with 25 seconds, good shot DJ

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
With threats from this board if he took out the big three... he left them in to make sure we win by double digits  ;D
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
I've seen teams come back from 20 down with 25 seconds, good shot DJ

Not even possible.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
Not even possible.

Sure it is.   ;)  For those of us that went to MU when I did, do you remember the 13 point possession against Evansville.  I'm serious...look it up.

Multiple technical fouls, three pointers, etc...MU scored 13 points in a row before Evansville even took possession of the ball.  It was crazy.  If I remember it was a 3 pointer in which we were fouled, got the extra free throw, double technicals called...4 more points, ball out of bounds to MU, hit another three pointer, technical foul.....something to that extent.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »
I have no problem with the 3 DJ took at the end of the game (and I'm someone who gets royally pissed with teams with comfortable/big leads that shoot with the shot clock off). The shot clock was NOT off, should DJ hold the ball and take the violation? In my opinion, that rubs it in even more.

If the shot clock is going, play ball. Don't like it? Stop him. It's not like MU ran an alley-oop play and slapped the backboard.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
If anyone can get the video or transcript of his postgame press conference you should check it out.

At one point a reporter asked Huggy Bear if he thought the game was reffed differently in the second half. Huggins said, "are you trying to get me in trouble?  I get in enough trouble. I'd comment but I can't."  

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »
next time Mu fans want to bitch about officiating or Jim Burr just pop in the 1/10/2009 WvU game tape and you will feel instantly better about Jim Burr and officiating in general.  Not saying it was a bad agame but I dont seem to rememebr a single questionable call going a against us.  the even called a tech against WVU for 6 players when they only had 5 on the court!

Pardner

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
Any Huggie sightings in Turners after the game?  Bob, it is called a beat down.  Learn to enjoy it.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »
Any Huggie sightings in Turners after the game?  Bob, it is called a beat down.  Learn to enjoy it.
Or at least call Donald Little to have beat downs explained.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
I have no problem with the 3 DJ took at the end of the game (and I'm someone who gets royally pissed with teams with comfortable/big leads that shoot with the shot clock off). The shot clock was NOT off, should DJ hold the ball and take the violation? In my opinion, that rubs it in even more.

Except that he wasn't anywhere near the violation yet.  DJ scored with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.  It would be different if he were shooting as the clock was going to expire, but he wasn't anywhere close, which makes it kind of a jackass move.  When you're up 19 and get a rebound with 45 second to go, launching a 3 with 15 seconds on the shot clock is not the classy thing to do.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 06:47:43 PM »
I was in Morgantown last year...trust me WV wasn't just running out the clock at home.  I am not saying today was payback.  But I shed no tears for WV and their 22 point loss today. 

Pardner

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 06:52:24 PM »
Maybe DJ was making a statement to Ruoff for the 15 or so elbows he popped in DJ in the face with? It was obvious that WVU was going right at DJ from the get-go.  I always find those who are the most offended in these situations are the biggest offenders leading up.  This is all a Huggins ploy to incite his team to step it up a notch...just like his T was planned when the game was getting out of reach.  All gamesmanship.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »
next time Mu fans want to bitch about officiating or Jim Burr just pop in the 1/10/2009 WvU game tape and you will feel instantly better about Jim Burr and officiating in general.  Not saying it was a bad agame but I dont seem to rememebr a single questionable call going a against us.  the even called a tech against WVU for 6 players when they only had 5 on the court!

One of the first plays of the game Lazar got called for a block and he was not anywhere near touching the WVU player... it wasn't even close. And Ruoff was CONSTANTLY throwing elbows and pushing off and most of those did not get called. The officiating went our way for the most part but there were def questionable calls.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 07:15:06 PM »
Let's face it DJ jacking up a 3 is most often the easiest way for the other team to get the ball back.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
eyeballs, I was in Morgantown last year, too, and today I shed no tears for Huggy. What did he want Dom to do, stand there and get a shot-clock violation? Dom did the thing that he does worst, which is fire up a 3-pointer. The Mountaineers did the same thing to us last year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
Huggy Bear should have known that DJ's gunning for #1 All-Time MU Scorer and needs all the points he can get!
SS Marquette

feedback