Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did Buzz run the score up at the end?  (Read 9209 times)

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: Did Buzz run the score up at the end?
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
Let's face it DJ jacking up a 3 is most often the easiest way for the other team to get the ball back.

Not lately!

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
Except that he wasn't anywhere near the violation yet.  DJ scored with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.  It would be different if he were shooting as the clock was going to expire, but he wasn't anywhere close, which makes it kind of a jackass move.  When you're up 19 and get a rebound with 45 second to go, launching a 3 with 15 seconds on the shot clock is not the classy thing to do.

Well we're all entitled to our opinions, but I disagree with that thinking. If the shot clock isn't turned off, and it's silly to hold the ball for a violation, that means run the offense and work a shot. If that means a shot (3 or otherwise) comes a few seconds into the possession or at the end, what's the difference? A shot is going up anyway.

Huggs preaches defense and rebounding. Stop the other team if you don't want them to score. Teams shouldn't be expected to roll over and play dead until the game is over (or, in the case of this discussion, the shot clock is turned off).

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 09:32:16 PM »
Screw Huggins .

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »
And it's not like WVU was trying at that point. If they want to be mad about getting the score ran up on them, show some pride and play out the whole game. At a minute and a half MU was dribbling it out like there was 10 seconds left and West Virginia just stood there. So if West Virginia was playing hard, I think it would be right for MU to run their offense and take a decent shot with 5 seconds left, but they didn't. Was James supposed to stand there for 10 seconds before he shot? There wasn't a WVU guy near him. The only complaint I would make was that he posed for awhile and held his arm in the air running down the court. However, with all the abuse he took from some cheap shots from WVU (which resulted in at least one foul called against him) I would get excited too, and the crowd was real pumped up so it was more of a heat of the moment type of deal.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »
I was at the game but can;t remember how much time was on the clock when DJ pulled the 3 point trigger - somewhere above it said 45 seconds.  So who cares if DJ pulls the trigger with 5 seconds left of the hot clock or 24?  Regardless, we have to take a shot or it's a turnover - and why should we take a turnover?  If there was more time ont he clock that 35 seconds, then I have no issue at all with DJ hiking the 3 - he was wide open, knew he had to take a shot or face a violation, so why not?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 01:12:49 AM »
Screw Huggins .

Couldn't have said it better myself. Suck it, Huggy Bear.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 08:31:29 AM »
Let's face it DJ jacking up a 3 is most often the easiest way for the other team to get the ball back.

Great line!!!!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »
I have no problem with how we played at the end of the game.  I do have a problem with who was on the floor at the end of the game.  Why the bench wasn't emptied with 2 or 3 minutes to go is beyond me.

This whole sportsmanship thing at the end of games thing has gotten out of hand.  In the old days both coaches would have emptied their bench with 2 minutes to go and the players on both sides would play 90 mph in an effort to impress the coach and hopefully get some playing time.  What's wrong with that?  It's certainly better than just standing around dribbling waiting for the clock to run out.  It's crazy that Frozena can't take a shot when we're up 20 and we get the ball with the shot clock turned off. 

How is it disrespecting your opponent to continue to play basketball?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »
I have no problem with how we played at the end of the game.  I do have a problem with who was on the floor at the end of the game.  Why the bench wasn't emptied with 2 or 3 minutes to go is beyond me.

This whole sportsmanship thing at the end of games thing has gotten out of hand.  In the old days both coaches would have emptied their bench with 2 minutes to go and the players on both sides would play 90 mph in an effort to impress the coach and hopefully get some playing time.  What's wrong with that?  It's certainly better than just standing around dribbling waiting for the clock to run out.  It's crazy that Frozena can't take a shot when we're up 20 and we get the ball with the shot clock turned off. 

How is it disrespecting your opponent to continue to play basketball?

I agree with you. The subs should have been in for both teams as soon as we were up 15. However, in high school basketball I always noticed that the team about to be defeated needs to concede the loss by putting their subs in first. If I were Buzz I wouldn't put my subs in until Hugy bear put his in.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »
Sure it is.   ;)  For those of us that went to MU when I did, do you remember the 13 point possession against Evansville.  I'm serious...look it up.

Multiple technical fouls, three pointers, etc...MU scored 13 points in a row before Evansville even took possession of the ball.  It was crazy.  If I remember it was a 3 pointer in which we were fouled, got the extra free throw, double technicals called...4 more points, ball out of bounds to MU, hit another three pointer, technical foul.....something to that extent.

I doubt that 20 pts in 25 seconds is really possible, but I recall in 1974, North Carolina trailed Duke, 86-78, with 17 seconds to play—and ended up winning in OT.

As to the alleged run up--I'm with everyone else--screw Huggins. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:58:48 AM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »
I doubt that 20 pts in 25 seconds is really possible, but I recall in 1974, North Carolina trailed Duke, 86-78, with 17 seconds to play—and ended up losing in OT.

As to the alleged run up--I'm with everyone else--screw Huggins. 

21 points in 75 seconds is possible. Ask Jon Scheyer as he did it himself in high school.

20 points in 25 seconds? nah.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
Screw Huggins...

FYI....Butler gave section 106 the bird(twice) when he fouled out...immediately following the "sit down" by us. Some classy players you got there Huggy-bear.

romey

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 11:45:02 AM »
It's nice having this debate when we're the team that is up by 20+ points isn't it?

I think the 20 points in 25 seconds comment was meant to be in teal - I hope.

I also agree subs should have been in the game at the point where DJ's shot was taken.  Then there would have been no question regarding whether the score was being run up or not.  I was an end of the bench scrub in high school and I promise you I never let up in the last two minutes (that was the only time I played and the only chance I had to prove myself worthy of more minutes).  Not to mention the possibility of injury to your starters when a game is decided. 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »
it was the perfect ending to the game....maybe WVU should've played some defense and DJ wouldn't have had such an open look....Huggins is a d-bag.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »
it was the perfect ending to the game....maybe WVU should've played some defense and DJ wouldn't have had such an open look....Huggins is a d-bag.

Truth.

For all the abuse and dirty tactics WVU employed, I can't get mad at DJ for rubbing it in their face.

DB got heated too after he swatted that one shot and yelled in the WVU player's face, but it was DJ who grabbed him and calmed Big Burke down.  (Man, he swatted it so hard it went farther than the t-shirts thrown by the male cheerleaders after an MU 3 pointer)

It was an intense game, and like y'all been sayin', it's WVU's fault for not playing good enough D. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
It is a universal thing for losers to cry today. What is the difference if you lose by 22 or 19, you still got your ass whipped.

feedback