Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rankings this Week  (Read 2644 times)

robmufan

• All American
Rankings this Week
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
Didn't see it posted...

I could care less about rankings at this point in the season, but from the looks of it, the coaches aren't impressed.

Fell from 15 to Others receiving votes!

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Rankings this Week
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »
26th, 5 votes from being 25th, 10 from 24th.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »
wow....i knew we'd slip but 11 spots is ridiculous.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »
That's a pretty nasty drop in the rankings. But a couple unimpressive outings will do that.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »
a couple?? Didn't we beat NIU by 30?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 12:52:58 PM »
We beat UNI by 30 yes.

But lets all remember, rankings in Bball are nothing like the rankings in football.  Just because we aren't ranked doesn't mean its the end of the world!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »
Louisville also took a big dive. down to number 11.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »
A Win on Saturday and it'll be a one week hiatus from the rankings.....still surprised by the big slip though...especially considering Dayton is 3 positions behind us....it's not like we lost to North Dakota St.  

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »
I beleive a win on saturday will be very important as we can not have to many more hiccups before confrence play!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
A win on Saturday will really help on selection Sunday, too.  You know that UW-Madison will end up in the top half of the Big 10/11, and even though it is a crappy conference, It's the Big Ten, the Big Ten.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Call me strange, but I like it when we're not ranked: if only to give the guys a chip on their shoulder during practice to go out there and prove the haters wrong. If I recall correctly, we did not spend one day as a ranked team in 2005-06, and still had a solid season.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »
I watched Sports Center last night.  Don't remember the announcer but during a section on "Is the Big East really that good?" this guy was going on about how MU really should drop out of the rankings because "They lost at home to Dayton".  He repeated the fact that this was at home several times.  Now I don't really care about being ranked at this point (in fact in some ways I'd prefer not to be).  BUT last time I checked Hoffman Estates is not our home court and ESPN ought to know better.  I wonder how much of this mis-information lead to our being busted down more than 10 slots.  I mean Louisville who really did lose at home to a team that was 2-2 at the time dropped only 8 slots.  Whos to say that at 5-0 Dayton isn't pretty good.  I don't care how bad the competition was we won our prior games by an average of well over 20 pts and our one loss is to an undefeated team on a neutral court.  Jezzz 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
Call me strange, but I like it when we're not ranked: if only to give the guys a chip on their shoulder during practice to go out there and prove the haters wrong. If I recall correctly, we did not spend one day as a ranked team in 2005-06, and still had a solid season.

I'd feel that way if our expectations for this year were lower and we were getting snubbed by the pollsters (i.e. 05-06 as you pointed out) but, IMO, with the experience of our starting 5 we should remain a Top 25 team the entire season.  I'm hoping our seniors (and all returning players) have a chip on their shoulder everyday because of their lack of NCAA Tournament wins regardless of their ranking.

I like being ranked for the sole purpose of the national publicity of our scores and highlights being broadcast throughout the country.  While I've never heard a recruit say he committed to a particular school because they were ranked in the Top 25 all season....it certainly can't hurt.  Plus, with the resources MU puts into our program we should expect a Top 25 team every year....I put more emphasis on the AP poll anyway, so let's see what they have to say.

BTW- How does ND move UP one spot for losing by 15 to UNC....yes, they're the #1 team in the country but they still lost...by 15!  Also, 4 teams behind us lost:  GU, FL, WI, KS....and we still fall out?  I don't get it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:34:21 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »
I agree we did drop too far but, for accuracy sake, Louisville did not lose at home.  They played at a neutral site.  A little ironic, a post complaining about inaccuracy being inaccurate!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
The AP has MU at 25 with a record 8 Big East teams in the Top 25.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »
Guess Gotlieb was wrong.  He said we'd still be ranked in his own network's poll just because of our name.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »

BTW- How does ND move UP one spot for losing by 15 to UNC....yes, they're the #1 team in the country but they still lost...by 15!  Also, 4 teams behind us lost:  GU, FL, WI, KS....and we still fall out?  I don't get it.

Notre Dame also beat the #7 team in the country (Texas) before losing to UNC.

Florida lost to #16 Syracuse
Wisconsin lost to #2 UConn
Georgetown lost to #10 Tennessee
Kansas lost to #16 Syracuse

We got creamed by unranked Dayton.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews