[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wes getting some love from the bleacher report  (Read 6313 times)

Big East Warriors

• Walk-On
Wes getting some love from the bleacher report
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:31:39 PM »
"If Matthews continues his torrid pace, expect comparisons to four-time All Star and 2006 NBA Finals MVP Dwyane Wade, himself a former Marquette slasher"....While Wes has been awesome, I dunno if we should give him that label just yet, lets atleast wait a few more games!

Wesley Matthews, Golden Boy, Leading the Marquette Eagles Early On

The Marquette Golden Eagles are 2-0 for the third-consecutive year—but this year there is a major difference. Besides the fact the Golden Eagles have won both of their games by an average of 25 points, there has been a change in skill, character, and leadership. Wesley Matthews, one of four seniors on Marquette and one of two players to start all 35 games last season, has seized control of the team after three subpar and quizzical seasons—which included three NCAA Tournament appearances and two first-round exits. Averaging 26.5 points, seven rebounds, 3.5 steals, and one block per game, Matthews has scorched teams this season. His scoring average has risen 15 points per game from last season. The senior is currently tied for sixth in the Nation and second in the Big East in points per game, trailing most notables Stephen Curry, Luke Harangody, and Jodie Meeks.

Matthews set career highs in points (27) and assists (8) against IUPUI in the opener, while shooting 63.6 percent from the field and 91.2 percent from the free-throw line. So far, Wesley has only missed one free throw (21-22) and is shooting a Big East-best 95.5 percent from the charity stripe. Excelling in the open floor, the 6'5" two-guard is a bonafide scorer with an assortment of moves, ranging from hesitation dribbles, to swift up-and-under layups, to awe-striking dunks. The Big East Player of the Year candidate studiously worked on his shooting mechanics and as a result, Matthews is the only player in college basketball to average at least 25 points, shoot 55 percent from the field, shoot 80 percent from three-point range, average five assists, a block, and three steals per game—All-American numbers

A pure-bred athlete, Wesley’s mother was a track star at the University of Wisconsin, and his father played in the NBA from 1980-1990. If Matthews continues his torrid pace, expect comparisons to four-time All Star and 2006 NBA Finals MVP Dwyane Wade, himself a former Marquette slasher. Should Wesley fail to win Player of the Year, he’s a deadbolt lock for Big East Most Improved Player of the Year.The Golden Eagles resume battle Saturday at home against the unranked Milwaukee Panthers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/83840-wesley-matthews-golden-boy-leading-the-marquette-eagles-early-on

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Wes getting some love from the bleacher report
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:49:09 PM »
Wow, all this based on two games?  I think these guys are jumping the gun quite a bit.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »

Matthews set career highs in points (27) and assists (8) against IUPUI in the opener,

Did I miss us playing IUPUI?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Big East Warriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
no, we never did play them... if only Word had a fact checking button

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »
Wow, all this based on two games?  I think these guys are jumping the gun quite a bit.
Yep, it's great that Wes is fulfilling some of the potential he had coming to Marquette three years ago.  He might very well be a late bloomer, but let's see a few more games before we compare him to Wade.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »
If he keeps up a pace even close to this, a better comparison would be Tony Smith, who absolutely BLEW UP his senior year. Best MU season I have ever seen by an individual player. Coincidentally, that also came after a coaching change.

By the way, I wouldn't call DWade a "slasher." Wade is just a great basketball player. You can't really label him one way or another.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
well he most certainly is a slasher as opposed to a shooter.  i don't think there is any crime in labeling him a slasher.  that is what his game is predicated on.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »
Slashers
James Worthy
Scottie Pippen

Not Slashers
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Michael Jordan

Guards are not slashers. Forwards are slashers. I can live with the classification of Wesley as a slasher, although he's more of an athletic garbage-type player if you ask me.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:48:12 PM »
Projections based on 2 games against lesser foes are premature, but I second the notion that if Wes can explode in a way that makes comparisons to Tony Smith, I'm all for it. I was a freshman Smith's Senior year and he was incredible. I think he would have had a very good NBA career if not for his knee injury.

Wade only is a slasher if you need to make a distinction between a slasher and shooter.  If you are not making that distinction, then Wade is one of the top 5 players in the NBA, not just a slasher.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:20 PM »
semantics seperate us i think.

i don't think being labeled as a slasher precludes you from being a very good basketball player.  Wade makes his living slashing/driving into the lane.  he's a basketball player who likes to slash rather than hang out near the perimeter.

As far as Wes is concerned, he's always had had the physical goods to dominate in the college game.  He's also always been the best shooter out of the big three.  jerel and DJ dominated the ball in Crean's offense.  I've been waiting for him to break out...but maybe not to this level.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:23:52 PM by dwaderoy2004 »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
As far as the article, two games and not getting the first opponent right doesn't say much for it.

I did like that quote from Hayward after the last game.  He said Wes is very comfortable in Buzz's offense; it gives versatile athletes like him more freedom to get things done.  Hopefully it means his success this year is just beginning.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »
As far as the article, two games and not getting the first opponent right doesn't say much for it.

I did like that quote from Hayward after the last game.  He said Wes is very comfortable in Buzz's offense; it gives versatile athletes like him more freedom to get things done.  Hopefully it means his success this year is just beginning.

And hopefully it means success for all the future "combo/versatile" athletes we have coming in...Erik Williams, Jeronne, Joe Fulce, etc

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »

Guards are not slashers. Forwards are slashers.

Says who?

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »
Says who?

Me. And those who know anything about basketball.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »
Me. And those who know anything about basketball.

There isn't a person on this site that is convinced you know anything about basketball and the vast majority of us are convinced that you don't.

Here are some other people who don't agree with you:
http://www.campussqueeze.com/post/The-Most-Exciting-Player-on-Each-NBA-Team.aspx
http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/11451969
http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/nba-polls/11462-best-slasher-nba.html
http://www.nbawire.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-21046.html][url]http://www.nbawire.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-21046.html[/url]
http://rantsofteef.blogspot.com/2007/10/top-nba-players-at-their-positions-part.html

seems that if you google NBA best slasher you get a bunch of articles about wade and kobe.  I guess no one on the internet knows anything about basketball. 

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
It's amazing how many bloggers and message board posters have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Feel free to include yourself in there, too. Guards are not slashers. Guards are not lane-fillers. Guards are not space eaters.

You want a slasher? Luol Deng. That's a slasher. Want another? Kevin Durant...although he can also hit a 15 footer. Julius Erving...probably the all-time slasher. Michael Jordan was not a slasher because he handled the ball. Wade is basically a point guard. Handles the ball too much to be considered a slasher. I'm amazed at anybody who doesn't understand this.

But keep trying. I love seeing people bang their head against the wall.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
There isn't a person on this site that is convinced you know anything about basketball and the vast majority of us are convinced that you don't.

+1

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
You repeating : "INSERT GUARD HERE isn't a slasher." doesn't convince me you're right.  You are wrong.  You can say things if you want and insinuate that other people are stupid but no one agree's with your definition.  You are all alone on this and thus wrong, you can't impress anyone or convince anyone of anything by just yelling at people like a pompous ass.  

And your ignore numbers are up to 9.  Although you probably wear it like a pathetic badge of honor.  

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
I'm sorry that when people point out your misguided sense of basketball knowledge that you think of it as being "yelled at." I'm sorry that you seem to think being "all alone" means I'm wrong. It's revealing that you take comfort in being surrounded by people who share your inaccurate opinions.

Finally, I'm also sorry that you've descended into name-calling.

Moderators? How about a ban? I recall being banned for a couple days for a MUCH less foul-mouthed infraction!

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »
I was just watching the four letter network in between the two games tonight and Wes was listed as the 5th highest scorer this year.  I agree with everyone on here that it's too early to make any outrageous predictions, but it is nice to see the MU logo scroll across the top of the TV in November. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
ESPN writers who know nothing about basketball:

A book excerpt from The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac, by FreeDarko.
FreeDarko
...both the league's smartest player and one of its most impulsive. Once, Bryant was a propulsive slasher with an uncommon midrange game. Now, when he's met by a defender, the curtain rises on...

Big 12: By The Numbers
Special to ESPN Insider
...chores. And the three of them might get a boost from J'Covan Brown, a 6'2" slasher who has yet to qualify academically. UT isn't counting on him, but he could be a...

Thorpe: Super sophs
David Thorpe, ESPN.com
...him this season, and an improved jumper means he can space the floor better for Atlanta's slashers. 3. Luis Scola, Rockets No team showed more heart and grit than Houston did in its six...

Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 5.0: Picks 1-30
Chad Ford, ESPN.com
...has passed for prospects to withdraw from the NBA Draft, we know who will be available on...because drafting Rose would give Miami two athletic slashers who (a) are subpar shooters and (b) would...

2008 NBPA Top 100 Camp preview
Bob Gibbons, Scouts Inc.
...City/Putnam City); No. 3, 6-3 2G Kenny Boynton (American Heritage/Plantation, Fla.); No. 5, slender slasher, 6-6 G/F Dominic Cheek (Jersey City, N.J./St. Anthony); No. 7, jet-quick 6...

Hollinger: Early surprises and disappointments
John Hollinger, ESPN Insider
...4 assists per 40 minutes. Also, he's seemingly on his way to completing his evolution from slasher to shooter by hitting 42.9 percent of his 3s and taking nearly half his shots from

Chat with Earl Monroe
...compare your game to today skill wise? Ooh. I would go with Dwayne Wade. He's a slasher. He can shoot the jumper too. Q: Earl, how satisfying was it to make this movie and...

30 Questions: Memphis Grizzlies
Brian McKitish, Special to ESPN.com
...interesting, perplexing or dumbfounding fantasy facet of each NBA team. Be sure to check out the 30...outside threat in Mike Miller and an explosive slasher in Rudy Gay at his disposal? With that...

Someone needs to get on quaulity over there control.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
I'm sorry that when people point out your misguided sense of basketball knowledge that you think of it as being "yelled at." I'm sorry that you seem to think being "all alone" means I'm wrong. It's revealing that you take comfort in being surrounded by people who share your inaccurate opinions.

Finally, I'm also sorry that you've descended into name-calling.

Moderators? How about a ban? I recall being banned for a couple days for a MUCH less foul-mouthed infraction!

I have to agree with Red.  Name calling adds nothing to differences of opinion. Define your terms, argue your case and move on. 

wildill sb
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »
Mathews is stronger this year, but to get excited about 27 point performances against Houston Baptist and Chicago State is ridiculous.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 08:10:16 AM »
Mathews is stronger this year, but to get excited about 27 point performances against Houston Baptist and Chicago State is ridiculous.

If Matthews is stronger I'm surprised he hasn't lost all his athleticism :)

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
What's a Slasher?