collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone here use Skype?  (Read 2968 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Anyone here use Skype?
« on: November 19, 2008, 12:01:47 AM »
What's your feeling on the reliability, quality, etc?  Pluses, minuses, etc?  I'm one of the old farts that still had a landline, mostly because of my wife.  But I'm looking hard into ditching it for VOIP.  Skype is one technology I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Anyone here use Skype?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:15 AM »
we just downloaded it the other day.  planning on using it with a webcam so the family can see the kids.  (web cams make good christmas presents for grandparents, etc.)  we tried the microsoft live software that came with the camera and it flat out sucked.  never could get it to work.  My wife has a friend that's in england for work and they use it to talk to her family all the time and swear by it.

i also used vonage a few years ago, until my modem broke and then we just cancelled it cuz we never used it.  but it was reliable and much cheaper than the phone company.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:32:35 AM »
We tried VOIP about 2 years ago.  I think what you'll find is that everyone has a different experience, probably a bell curve.

I tried Sunrocket for 2 months (who went bust, naturally.)  I liked them because they packaged you TWO numbers in any two area codes.  I had one in Milwaukee, one number where the grandparents lived, so they would just place a local call and get us.  Most voips charge $5/month for that.

Much of it depends on your ISP.  I thought I had a great one, as it rarely went out, passed all the online tests with flying colors.  Plus, even if it does go out, you can auto-failover to your cell phone.

However .. my results were mixed.  I'd say 10% of the calls I made were completely garbled, enough that you'd have to hang up.  10% were bad, but had something wrong, like an echo or something garbled.  10% were mostly ok with some glitches.  The other 70% were generally fine.

So.  While it was cheaper than what I was paying with a landline+LDX (about $35 vs. $10/month) I determined that I just hated having a phone service that wasn't dead solid for 30% of the time.  I was embarrassed when people called and I had to ask them to try again.

Now, if you're financially challenged, I'd totally go with VOIP in a heartbeat because of how cheap it can be, and put up with the failure rate.

That all being said, I've spoken to people who have had zero complaints and love it.   Now that a couple years have passed, I might try it again too.

As a webmaster by trade .. I can tell you:  The internet is just not that reliable from end to end. 

My advice .. go with one of the big ones, Vonage is clearly the biggest .. Viatalk, maybe.  Try them for a couple months, both outbound and inbound.  Don't port your phone number.  See what your failure rate is, and if it is acceptable to your family.  You can always cancel.    Usually, they give you 1 month money back, which may be enough time to figure out if you like it.

--Off that topic, webcams .. love em, but it's hard to find others with them.  I use www.ekko.tv which makes it brutally easy to start a webcam+audio session .. no software, no registration, just set up a "room" and go.  That way, you don't need to walk gramma thru setting anything up.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »
My Mom has quite a few international clients (she's in fundraising, though she's actually going back to school to study Psychology), and she swears by Skype. Uses a headset at the computer for all her international calls. She also has Vonage for her main landline. I used to use them as well, though I decided to go 100% cell phone a couple of years back.

I'm not sure what Skype's solutions are like for actual telephone use, but I can tell you she loves them for phone-over-computer.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »
I just purchased this the other day for my organization. Once we get into it a little more i will try to add to this post.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »
Thank you all in advance.  I'm going to give it a try this weekend with Skype.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
FWIW, I have a student who converses with her father - when he does extended business trips to Asia - via Skype. They're been using it for the past few years.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
FWIW, I have a student who converses with her father - when he does extended business trips to Asia - via Skype. They're been using it for the past few years.

I used it today for the first time.  No problems at all.   Works great.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 06:46:02 PM »
I used it today for the first time.  No problems at all.   Works great.

I've been using Skype casually for the past 3 years for international calls and have had no issues. About three months ago I ditched Comcast's VOIP service in favor of using Skype exclusively.

Get the Skype PRO account (or whatever they are calling it these days) and a Skype Phone Number for about $40-$50 total and you get unlimited calls to the US and Canada for a year.

If you want to use skype like a regular phone get this:

http://accessories.skype.com/store/skype/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.69958700

I got it when I ditched Comcast's VoIP service and it has been great. If you travel a lot you might want to try the Belkin Wifi Phone, which doesn't need a base unit to operate:

http://accessories.skype.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=skype&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&categoryName=Phones&categoryID=4141800&parentCategoryName=Phones&productID=66159700

Keep in mind that you cannot make 911 calls from Skype, which may not be a great thing if you have kids in the house who may need to make emergency calls...