[Today at 04:57:21 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We were no longer recruiting Jamil Wilson...now I have no freaking idea....  (Read 50997 times)

THEGYMBAR

Re: We are no longer recruiting Jamil Wilson
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2008, 10:41:30 AM »
When I say secure the border my point is simple. The year that we have top tier D1 players we try 110% to get them. Sure Al was unreal recruiter but the game has changed way too much. Our inner city and remainder of the state has produced a slew of great players.

I, like most of you, have watched MU ball for over almost forty years. I do believe MU can be the #1 team in WI and I believe MU should be at level that we get the local kids we want.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:10 AM »
Look, I loved Travis and Stevie, but I think Al had the best recuiting methods. He would grab some local kids to keep the alumni happy, but he knew the best players were going to come from outside the state. Realistically, if you took the four best players from WI every year so that by your fourth year you had an all-Wisconsin roster, where would you finish in the BE? I'd guess 10th.
I'm not bringing up Novak, Diener, etc. to show we should get all of the local players, I was just saying that we shouldn't quite name Maymon the best player out of Wisconsin since Caron Butler quite yet.  He hasn't even played a college game yet and recently there have been people from Wisconsin who have gone to the NBA and another one (in Jerry Smith) who most likely will be there before Maymon gets his chance.  I'm just saying that if players like Dominic James, who has done a TON for this program and is clearly very talented, are being talked about as a late 2nd round pick after his senior year, it clearly takes quite a good college career to make it into the NBA.  If Maymon does as much as DJ has done I will be very happy, and DJ might not even make it into the league, whereas other players from Wisconsin have and will soon since Caron Butler, so I wouldn't label him the best since then quite yet.

About "securing the boarders," if Buzz can get the 5-15 ranked player from Texas vs. the 2nd ranked player from Wisconsin, PLEASE get the 5-15th ranked player from Texas (unless Wisconsin has an exceptional year).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:52:49 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2008, 10:54:25 AM »
Regardless of where Wilson ends up he will be more successful player than Maymon and I love Maymon. Wilson is a rare talent. 9 out of 10 times pure talent wins out.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »
Wilson is not a rare talent.  Wilson is a rare athlete.  At this point, Maymon is the known quantity and better talent.  As is Erik Williams. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »
I'm not bringing up Novak, Diener, etc. to show we should get all of the local players, I was just saying that we shouldn't quite name Maymon the best player out of Wisconsin since Caron Butler quite yet.  He hasn't even played a college game yet and recently there have been people from Wisconsin who have gone to the NBA and another one (in Jerry Smith) who most likely will be there before Maymon gets his chance.  I'm just saying that if players like Dominic James, who has done a TON for this program and is clearly very talented, are being talked about as a late 2nd round pick after his senior year, it clearly takes quite a good college career to make it into the NBA.  If Maymon does as much as DJ has done I will be very happy, and DJ might not even make it into the league, whereas other players from Wisconsin have and will soon since Caron Butler, so I wouldn't label him the best since then quite yet.

About "securing the boarders," if Buzz can get the 5-15 ranked player from Texas vs. the 2nd ranked player from Wisconsin, PLEASE get the 5-15th ranked player from Texas (unless Wisconsin has an exceptional year).

I agree with your general premise regardging Maymon -- and the whole bit about securing borders is nonsense - but Jerry Smith in the NBA???? Not so sure the League is looking for 6-foot-1 shooting guards who, well, aren't really great shooters. Smith, given his skill set, might not make the league if he were 6-foot-4. At 6-foot-1, I give him almost no chance.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2008, 11:16:51 AM »
Regardless of where Wilson ends up he will be more successful player than Maymon and I love Maymon. Wilson is a rare talent. 9 out of 10 times pure talent wins out.

A rare talent?
What are you, his agent?

LeBron James and Kobe Bryant are rare talents.
Jamil Wilson is a good high school basketball player.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2008, 11:23:47 AM »
Gymbar, I would suggest before you make one more comment that you go down to your local HS and ask the hoops coach about Wilson vs Maymon. 

Maymon was the Player of the Year as a Junior (over Wilson, MSU's Luscious and SLU's Mitchell) for a reason.  He is a real deal Basketball player.

Coaches I talk to LOVE him.  You can only utilize so many wings, we have 2 very good ones in this class. Two that are better than Wilson.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »
Damon----I said I love Maymon. Winning state helps in player of the year. No going to argue if Wilson is a great player or not.

I remember being on here five months ago touting how badly we need Maymon at 90% of the posts told me I was wrong. He was a bad kid, his Dad a freak and a poor student I was told. Funny how things change.

Jamil Wilson is a top tier D1 player. Maymon has a great chance to be a stud. Wilson is a type of athlete any school that wants to win wants to have.

To all the Maymon bandwagon jumpers...re-read posts from the spring. I wanted him for the same reason I want Wilson. HE CAN PLAY FRICKIN BALL AT A HIGH LEVEL AND THEY ARE LOCAL KIDS!!!!!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
Agreed DK-

I've seen each play a few times, not once was I blown away by Wilson. Maymon on the other hand is a player, and was much more mentally tough than Wilson.

HS players develop at different rates, and Wilson peaked early. Not to say he can't become a great player, but as of now I'd take Maymon hands down.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »
maymon did not win state.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »
I personally think the whole securing the state's best players is stupid.  Sure we should try to land the best players in state, but I think that the focus should be on finding the best players, period.  If we have the option of landing the best player in Wisconsin who is the 100th best player in the nation or landing the 5th best player in Texas who is the 70th best player in the nation, we should take the player from Texas every time. 

Also, I think there is definitely something to be said about getting a well rounded class.  From everything I've read about Wilson, he was a nice player, but we already had two players in the same position in the class.  And when we get the opportunity to land a good post player, we have to take it so we don't end up relying on players like the Grimm Reaper, Jamil Lott, and Marcus Jackson to be our post presence. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »
Ok, why don't you put forth some concrete perdictions about how great this 'rare talent' will be. based on what you are saying I'd be disappointed with a 18 and 8 season, followed by a lottery pick that wasn't top 5, followed by a 5-8 time allstar career in the nba. That is his minimum right? He's just that good, right?

He's a good player who plays the same position as other good players we already have.  We want a team that is rounded out, if wisconsin produces 3 pg's in 2011 will you want them all as well?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »
And when we get the opportunity to land a good post player, we have to take it so we don't end up relying on players like the Grimm Reaper, Jamil Lott, and Marcus Jackson to be our post presence. 

Marcus Jackson was a legitimate post presence.  I am NOT saying he was great or anything close, but we would have been Sweet 16 last year with Marcus.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
You guys win. But, when Wilson signs with MU remember your comments. The anti-Wilson talk is almost as high as the anti-Maymon talk was in the spring. Few on here wanted to Maymon in the spring. Feelings were so anti-Maymon that the moderator said to stop bashing a kid and his Dad.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »
i don't think people are spouting off anti-wilson talk.  people are stating facts. 

fact #1: Wilson is a very good basketball player with good athleticism and potential.

fact #2: however, by most recruiting services, and first hand accounts, maymon is a better player right now.

fact #3: correspondingly, over the past year, Wilson's ranking has dropped across the board, while Maymon's has risen across the board.

fact #4: we already have 2 committed players of better or comparable abilty that play the same position as Wilson.

fact #5: signing roseboro balances out the 2009 class, and our roster as a whole, better than signing Wilson.

If we go on to sign Wilson, I don't think anyone will be saying that it is a "bad signing."  However, based on those already committed and the make-up of our roster, most will say that they would have preferred we add a SG.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2008, 01:52:12 PM »
so gym are you now saying Wilson will sign with MU? 

ANd I have to agree witht he others the very fact that Wilson is a Top 100 would make every one of us happy to have him, I guess the point tho is that we are not so devasted due to the fact that we already have two commits that play the same position that depending on the service are rated more highly. 

For example I would be also disappointed if we sign colvin.  As everything I have read says he is a PG, and we need an Sg as the PG is already covered by Junior. 

PS.  with colvins size he could play the SG just not sure what his kills off the ball are if he can drive or if he can shoot or if he is purely a pass first type PG.

Now in Wright I know he can fill it up.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2008, 01:53:24 PM »
Dwade---Good points. But, I'll take a team with four DWade's anyday. Easier to figure out how to play talent then figuring out how to play without talent. Ask Dukiet and Deanne.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2008, 02:49:17 PM »
Dwade---Good points. But, I'll take a team with four DWade's anyday. Easier to figure out how to play talent then figuring out how to play without talent. Ask Dukiet and Deanne.

I'm not sure it's a situation where the coaches didn't want Wilson, I think it's more the fact that they cannot wait around and come home with empty pockets.

In Buzz's mind, it was better to sign a kid with some upside rather than wait for Wilson and potentially get nothing.

So, I'll go on record and say that Wilson is a hell of a player that could help MU. But, I'll also go on record that taking a commitment now might be better than waiting a taking a risk on whether Wilson chooses MU or not.

Does that make sense?

Definitely not anti-Wilson, just trying to understand the coaching staff's thought process.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2008, 02:54:53 PM »

At 1: Dwade > James
At 2: Dwade > McSteal
At 3: Dwade > Wes
At 4: Dwade > Lazar

Yeah, i'd like that team as well.  Dont think it has anything to do with Wilson though.  2002 hit it on the head.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
I wouldn't claim that quite yet.  Devin Harris is getting a lot of publicity and has been since the Nets traded Jason Kidd to get him.  He's doing alright for himself when it comes to basketball.  Not to mention Steve Novak and Travis Diener are making some dollars.  I'd be very happy if Maymon ends up in the same place as Diener, Novak, and Harris.  Jerry Smith could also get there.

Actually I will take Mark Millers words, an expert in Wisconsin high school basketball, in that Maymon might be the best Wisconsin high school player in the last 20 plus years.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »

I have to disagree with you there.  This is a team game.  I will gladly take a little bit less talent and five guys who complement each other than 5 better players who have all the same skill set and same weaknesses.

nola03

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
Actually I will take Mark Millers words, an expert in Wisconsin high school basketball, in that Maymon might be the best Wisconsin high school player in the last 20 plus years.

Please clarify:

Are you thinking Maymon will have the greatest high school career of anyone over the last 20 years? Or, are you saying Maymon will be the greatest basketball player to come out of a WI high school in the last 20 years?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:35 PM »
At 1: Dwade > James
At 2: Dwade > McSteal
At 3: Dwade > Wes
At 4: Dwade > Lazar

Yeah, i'd like that team as well.  Dont think it has anything to do with Wilson though.  2002 hit it on the head.

Yea but as a team, James, McSteal and Wes would create a ton of Wade turnovers and not have to guard the three point line.  Lets not forget that as great as Wade was in college, he was still very turnover prone and was not able to hit a 3 point shot consistently.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
Please clarify:

Are you thinking Maymon will have the greatest high school career of anyone over the last 20 years? Or, are you saying Maymon will be the greatest basketball player to come out of a WI high school in the last 20 years?

Mark Miller said greatest high school basketball player but go to Dodds board and listen to his exact comments.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2008, 03:55:35 PM »
Yea but as a team, James, McSteal and Wes would create a ton of Wade turnovers and not have to guard the three point line.  Lets not forget that as great as Wade was in college, he was still very turnover prone and was not able to hit a 3 point shot consistently.

And the big three are dead eyes from long range and not turnover prone?  I'm not saying you don't have a point but it woudln't matter.  They would get killed on the boards(check wades rebounds), they wouldn't be able to get a shot off clean(check blocks), they would be striped every other time down the court and they wouldn't be able to drive the lane(check steals).  I feel silly for having to make this arguement.

feedback