Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1063526 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/27/23?
« Reply #4950 on: February 26, 2023, 08:38:12 AM »
So ESPN's BPI Resume has us a 2 seed now. For what ever that is worth.

1. Kansas Jayhawks  1
2. Alabama Crimson Tide 1
3. Houston Cougars 1
4. Purdue Boilermakers  1
5. UCLA Bruins 2
6. Baylor Bears  2
7. Texas Longhorns 2
8. Marquette Golden Eagles 2

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/resume

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4951 on: February 26, 2023, 08:40:17 AM »
So ESPN's BPI Resume has us a 2 seed now. For what ever that is worth.

1. Kansas Jayhawks  1
2. Alabama Crimson Tide 1
3. Houston Cougars 1
4. Purdue Boilermakers  1
5. UCLA Bruins 2
6. Baylor Bears  2
7. Texas Longhorns 2
8. Marquette Golden Eagles 2

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/resume

ESPN hates us. So we are probably a 1 seed.

But seriously I think we are the 3rd 3 seed. Indiana jumps us again in the seed line with their W over Purdue.

Tomorrow at 11am, we will be #8

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4952 on: February 26, 2023, 08:46:39 AM »
Purdue has faded from a 1 seed right now. To get it back they must start winning/go deep in Big 10/14/18 tourney/
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4953 on: February 26, 2023, 08:57:48 AM »

But seriously I think we are the 3rd 3 seed. Indiana jumps us again in the seed line with their W over Purdue.

Indiana is still behind us

Purdue has faded from a 1 seed right now. To get it back they must start winning/go deep in Big 10/14/18 tourney/

Purdue is still a 1 seed
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #4954 on: February 26, 2023, 09:06:32 AM »

Indiana also had a bad loss to an average at best Michigan St team.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4955 on: February 26, 2023, 09:09:08 AM »
Indiana also had a bad loss to an average at best Michigan St team.

Since the reveal, they also lost to Northwestern.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4956 on: February 26, 2023, 09:13:46 AM »

If we make it to 8 that would be the highest ranking since… 2011?   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4957 on: February 26, 2023, 09:21:01 AM »
Call me crazy but if it so happens that the last 2 seed is between us and Baylor, how is it conceivable that the committee would not look at the asssssswhooping we put on them head to head?  Ty. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4958 on: February 26, 2023, 09:21:32 AM »

They craziest thing to me is we will be ranked higher than our projected Big East finish.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4959 on: February 26, 2023, 09:31:22 AM »
Call me crazy but if it so happens that the last 2 seed is between us and Baylor, how is it conceivable that the committee would not look at the asssssswhooping we put on them head to head?  Ty.

Head to head may matter in an absolute tie. I'm not certain it's possible for us to tie Baylor. Maybe if they go on a 3 game losing streak and we win out through the BET
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4960 on: February 26, 2023, 09:51:07 AM »
Head to head may matter in an absolute tie. I'm not certain it's possible for us to tie Baylor. Maybe if they go on a 3 game losing streak and we win out through the BET

TAMU,

I don't foresee us not being a 2 seed if we win out.  As far as I can tell Houston, Bama, and Kansas are pretty much #1 seed locks.  After that I think it's a little up in the air.  My gut tells me UCLA and Purdue probably won't fall to a 3 seed.  Ergo, there should be three 2 seed spots open for a handful of teams, including Marquette.  Now, because the B12 has 3 teams competing for these spots it may be to their advantage.  Clearly the best scenario for us is for Zona to lose a game or two, and Texas to piss a few games away as well.  I'm just curious what could happen if we and Baylor are fighting for that last #2...ya never know?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #4961 on: February 26, 2023, 09:52:44 AM »
You are under rating us. In your scenario mu is a solid 2 seed.  Winning the big east matters.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4962 on: February 26, 2023, 10:05:39 AM »
TAMU,

I don't foresee us not being a 2 seed if we win out.  As far as I can tell Houston, Bama, and Kansas are pretty much #1 seed locks.  After that I think it's a little up in the air.  My gut tells me UCLA and Purdue probably won't fall to a 3 seed.  Ergo, there should be three 2 seed spots open for a handful of teams, including Marquette.  Now, because the B12 has 3 teams competing for these spots it may be to their advantage.  Clearly the best scenario for us is for Zona to lose a game or two, and Texas to piss a few games away as well.  I'm just curious what could happen if we and Baylor are fighting for that last #2...ya never know?

I don't think it's possible for MU to pass Texas, even if they lost out and we win out. Baylor, maybe if they lose out and we win out. Our best bets are Arizona and UCLA. Arizona losing yesterday helps but we still need more help
TAMU

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #4963 on: February 26, 2023, 10:13:52 AM »
I don't think it's possible for MU to pass Texas, even if they lost out and we win out. Baylor, maybe if they lose out and we win out. Our best bets are Arizona and UCLA. Arizona losing yesterday helps but we still need more help

That’s crazy talk. A 10-loss UT on a four game skid isn’t getting seeded over a 6-loss double Big East champ with 9 straight wins…
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4964 on: February 26, 2023, 10:22:31 AM »
That’s crazy talk. A 10-loss UT on a four game skid isn’t getting seeded over a 6-loss double Big East champ with 9 straight wins…
Agreed. It does not pass a common sense test.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4965 on: February 26, 2023, 10:52:04 AM »

The committee thought very highly of Texas and had them as the top 2 seed (#5). They are 2-1 since the reveal and play 2 very tough games at the end of the year. I think it’d be a stretch to pass them. Though I’m also one that has an opinion that conference tournament games are essentially meaningless as it pertains to NCAA bids and seeding. I really haven’t seen much evidence that they make a difference in that regard.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4966 on: February 26, 2023, 10:54:47 AM »
The committee thought very highly of Texas and had them as the top 2 seed (#5). They are 2-1 since the reveal and play 2 very tough games at the end of the year. I think it’d be a stretch to pass them. Though I’m also one that has an opinion that conference tournament games are essentially meaningless as it pertains to NCAA bids and seeding. I really haven’t seen much evidence that they make a difference in that regard.

I don't know about meaningless, but usually not heavily tipping the scales in a school's favor.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4967 on: February 26, 2023, 11:03:56 AM »
I don't know about meaningless, but usually not heavily tipping the scales in a school's favor.

In a small number of cases, they can mean a ton but for the top teams I don’t think they move the needle generally.

The main reason I feel this way is just given how complex the bracket is to produce given all the constraints. It’s not worth changing the whole architecture of the bracket based on a last minute result. Moving one team from a 2 to a 3 could create a large domino effect.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4968 on: February 26, 2023, 11:04:45 AM »
In a small number of cases, they can mean a ton but for the top teams I don’t think they move the needle generally.

The main reason I feel this way is just given how complex the bracket is to produce given all the constraints. It’s not worth changing the whole architecture of the bracket based on a last minute result. Moving one team from a 2 to a 3 could create a large domino effect.

Agree.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4969 on: February 26, 2023, 11:07:54 AM »
I've seen seed lines change due to conference tournys, so I 100% disagree that MU would not pass UT in that scenario. I also think there is about a 5% chance that scenario plays out.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4970 on: February 26, 2023, 11:29:15 AM »

Yes most is set for top seeds by 1st 2nd  games of tournament, it would only matta if two teams are "tied" in committee's view or if a team is getting in or about to get knocked out.
Goal is National Championship

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4971 on: February 26, 2023, 11:38:35 AM »
Yes most is set for top seeds by 1st 2nd  games of tournament, it would only matta if two teams are "tied" in committee's view or if a team is getting in or about to get knocked out.

Yep. When they do the seeding, which I believe happens earlier in the week for the protected seeds, they will likely have an alternative scenario in place at that time.

For example, if Marquette is 9th on the S Curve and Baylor is 8th and the committee deems them extremely close they might decide that the other 2s stay locked in but if Marquette wins the BET and Baylor doesn’t win the B12 Tournament that they would flip on the seed line and position in the bracket.

Most of the top 4 seeded teams would be deemed locked into their spot before the conference tourneys begin, but any that they think are extremely close would likely have an “alternative scenario” already in place if lower seeded team makes a run and wins their Conf Tourney.

Another example is for the committee to say that team A and team B are 15/16 on their S Curve (lowest 4s) but are game to be supplanted by teams XYZ (17-19 on the S Curve) depending on their run in the conference tourney.

Obviously I’m not in the room and am not certain that this is how it works, but that would be my guess

TipToe Incognito

• Walk-On
« Reply #4972 on: February 26, 2023, 12:24:17 PM »
They craziest thing to me is we will be ranked higher than our projected Big East finish.

Yeah craziest thing for me too
“Soooo when you said 9th, you meant 9th (or better) in the country right”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4973 on: February 26, 2023, 03:20:24 PM »

Active winning streaks, active losing streaks, and conference standings, three things that don't factor into seeding, at least not officially. The only thing you listed that is an official criteria for selection is overall record, which is not one of the more significant factors.

You could also say the following about a UT team that loses out and an MU team that wins out:

"That's crazy talk. A Marquette team with a lower NET, lower non-conference SOS, lower overall SOS, only 5 Q1 regular seasons wins, only 1 of which was away from Fiserv Forum, and a home loss to Wisconsin (either a low Q2 or Q3) isn't getting seeded over a Texas team with a higher NET, higher non-conference SOS, higher overall SOS, 10 Q1 wins, 4 of which were on the road, whose worst loss is on the road to #54 Texas Tech (Q1)...

The difference between the two statements is that the second only accounts for factors considered by the selection committee.

I'm not knocking us. I'm not saying Texas is a better team. But by this point in the season the resumes are 93% complete and the things that really move the needle are wins against Q1 opponents or losses against Q3/Q4 opponents. Texas only has Q1 opportunities left meaning they can only go up. Marquette only has Q2/Q3 opportunities left meaning we can only go down.
TAMU

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #4974 on: February 26, 2023, 03:39:04 PM »

most recent ranked #9;  Mar/2012,  Mar/2003,  Feb/2002,  Feb/1979
most recent ranked #8;  Feb/2012,  Jan-Feb/2009 (dropped lower after loss to South Florida), Nov-Dec/2006 (loss to North Dakota St), Mar/2003

last time higher than #8:
1978: ranked as high as #1 & with a low of #5

feedback