Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If You're Wojo...  (Read 20154 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
If You're Wojo...
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:11:35 PM »
 do you try to leave this year? Or do you return and try to thick skin it through next season?

The guys not an idiot and has to see the impending situation of likely losing people after this year and that he's not going to have an ounce of support.
Maigh Eo for Sam

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: If You're Wojo...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:13:03 PM »
If you’re Wojo, you collect every last penny in the contract you have now. You’ll never be paid like this again. He’s a country club guy - hard to feel bad about any of this when your mind is on the 18th green.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:14:14 PM »
I mean...I’m not sure where he goes.  But I hope he goes somewhere else lol.  For the good of the program and it’s future I hope he doesn’t have some saving grace win that justifies to the admin that he needs another chance.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:14:31 PM »
He’s very thin skinned. I think he bails after this year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:14:37 PM »
If you’re Wojo, you collect every last penny in the contract you have now. You’ll never be paid like this again. He’s a country club guy - hard to feel bad about any of this when your mind is on the 18th green.

Worse major coaches than him have gotten good gigs. He'll get another one.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:07 PM »
He should swallow his pride and go be an assistant under another legendary coach that runs a completely different system than Duke. Then do it again in another 2-3 years before giving HC another go. He's still young and it would do wonders for his career. Ain't gonna happen here though.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:13 PM »
He’s gone.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:25 PM »
Well, we were projected to lose out (or win only one).  Despite repeated assurances to the contrary, no way Wojo is allowed to return if/when that happens (unless you want an empty Fiserv next year, or, worse: an arena of boo birds).

I remain convinced Steve will not be our HC next season.

Unfortunately for MU, a total program collapse could literally not have come at a worse time.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 10:16:43 PM »
He is like the type of guy that would fall on a sword because he’s not doing good enough.  But at this level no way a guy does that and forgoes a contact of this size.  Really don’t know who hires him away from us.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 10:16:47 PM »
I have been hearing rumors that the recent $31 million donation includes a buyout of his contract.

I think his tenure is finally coming to end.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 10:17:26 PM »

Oliver Purnell has never been fired. I think he can land at Penn State or Boston College. I hope so at least.

I’m hoping he’s just ready for a fresh start. I can’t imagine next year will be all the pleasant.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 10:17:50 PM »
He should swallow his pride and go be an assistant under another legendary coach that runs a completely different system than Duke. Then do it again in another 2-3 years before giving HC another go. He's still young and it would do wonders for his career. Ain't gonna happen here though.

I honestly think Wojos best career move is to go back to Duke as an assistant. What if K retired mid-season? He could do what Gard did.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 10:18:05 PM »
I will miss Garcia,Lewis,and Carton,and Aidoo might have been fun to watch

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »

I don't envision him going the assistant ever again. I could see him going to an underperfoming P6 school or an emerging mid major.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 10:18:21 PM »
He’s gone.

One way or another, I agree.

panda

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 10:18:25 PM »
Woj will not be fired, but I'm feeling more and more assured he will not return next season. Lots of openings already for next year and he'd be well advised to leave before he kills any chance he has of getting a decent job if he stays one more year.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 10:18:28 PM »
He’ll get another job, but he’ll never be paid like this again. He’ll settle into some obscure school where consistent mediocrity is all anyone has ever wanted. Wake Forest. But Wake Forest don’t pay like MU.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 10:18:40 PM »
Well, we were projected to lose out (or win only one).  Despite repeated assurances to the contrary, no way Wojo is allowed to return if/when that happens (unless you want an empty Fiserv next year, or, worse: an arena of boo birds).

I remain convinced Steve will not be our HC next season.

Unfortunately for MU, a total program collapse could literally not have come at a worse time.

You could make an argument that it's a great year for a coaching change. If not many other jobs are open your competition for talent is lower, and with the no-sit transfer rule in effect you could restock pretty quickly with a new regime.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 10:19:41 PM »
I’ve said for weeks he’s gone.  A lot of people talked s***, can’t wait for them to eat crow soon.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 10:19:53 PM »
I will miss Garcia,Lewis,and Carton,and Aidoo might have been fun to watch

Same here...for about 2 seconds.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 10:20:01 PM »
A few weeks ago after a loss, one of the things he said in his presser was, "We're young in some key spots.  That's not an excuse, but..."  Wojo's not an idiot, but when he says stuff like this, it leads me to believe that he doesn't feel responsible for any of this, and doesn't think the losing is his fault.  In his opinion, he probably thinks he's doing a great job running a clean program, and all the losing is just one form of bad luck or another.

He may not be our head coach next year, but he's not going to leave for a worse payday.  If his buyout is truly $6 million, he'll force MU to make a tough decision.  As another poster stated in this thread, he'll never make this kind of money again.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 10:20:25 PM »
I have been hearing rumors that the recent $31 million donation includes a buyout of his contract.

I think his tenure is finally coming to end.

You forgot teal

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 10:22:22 PM »
I’ve said for weeks he’s gone.  A lot of people talked s***, can’t wait for them to eat crow soon.

You said it for weeks...but immediately backpedaled and said you don’t expect him to be gone. Stop acting like a victim.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 10:24:52 PM »
You said it for weeks...but immediately backpedaled and said you don’t expect him to be gone. Stop acting like a victim.

Never backpedaled without brains.  In fact I said I’d bet on it.  It’s hard to say 100% he’s gone with Scholl and Lovell, but I firmly believe he is.

Want to bet?  $1000?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 10:24:54 PM »
Not to relitigate the potential buyout, but what in the world is the point of a clause like that from MU’s perspective?  Were we in some type of bidding war for Steve Wojo?  It makes no sense - you hamstrung yourself for a guy that should’ve been on a “prove it” deal. He had no other good options. We folded aces while Wojo was holding a deuce/seven.