'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Would Diamond Stone be a 1 and done?  (Read 33691 times)

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Re: Would Diamond Stone be a 1 and done?
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »
We're still in it because some Badger posters were dumb enough to admit that Buzz's work with disadvantaged kids indicates that he has "some" good in him.

I just don't see how he fits In with Bucky. Plus Hayes will be their for 4 years which actually helps us IMHO

brandx

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 05:26:01 PM »
They must not have 'lectricity in Honduras and/or the interweb.

Been there many times and you don't know how close to the truth that statement is.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
Sack up, sally. Three people mentioned Stone's attitude -- one of whom seemed to point more towards not being engaged -- and more then three people talked about how great Stone is and will likely go down as one of the best in the history of Wisconsin. If this is a "bashing", you must reside in a pillow-lined house.

By the way, considering some of the issues with the present incarnation of MU basketball it's no shock there are fans out there with concerns over attitude, body language, and engagement from the player.

Is sack up Sally directed at me?  I can take it.  I'm an adult.  Is it directed outward a towards potential recruits and their families who read this message board?  If so, that's a sad and selfish attitude.

brandx

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
Is sack up Sally directed at me?  I can take it.  I'm an adult.  Is it directed outward a towards potential recruits and their families who read this message board?  If so, that's a sad and selfish attitude.

+1

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
Are you a Badger troll too?

I'm no badger troll, I just hate the arrogance and stupidity on this board.  The lack of supervision and discretion can only harm, not help, MUs interests.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »
I'm no badger troll, I just hate the arrogance and stupidity on this board.  The lack of supervision and discretion can only harm, not help, MUs interests.

The free wheeling attitudes of some of the posters on this board have cost us a recruit in the past.  We have another player's father who posts here regularly.

People just need to keep that in mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
Words have consequences.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »
I am not much of a rabble-rouser here. But even if I were, the fact that a recruit or a player's father might read my words wouldn't make me change one thing about what I'd post on MUScoop.

If a kid bases anything on words written by a bunch of anonymous fans, he's not mentally strong enough to play college hoops at the highest level.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
I am not much of a rabble-rouser here. But even if I were, the fact that a recruit or a player's father might read my words wouldn't make me change one thing about what I'd post on MUScoop.

If a kid bases anything on words written by a bunch of anonymous fans, he's not mentally strong enough to play college hoops at the highest level.

I sort of see both sides to this, and I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Is legitimate, basketball play related criticism and analysis appropriate? Sure. Observations on attitude included. If it's nothing an ESPN recruiting analyst wouldn't also say, fine with me. I haven't seen anything in this specific thread that I would say goes too far.

Where it crosses the line is when people sink to personal attacks, calling these kids names, making ridiculous statements like "X is the worst player in MU history" (that was said on Scoop this season), or when people constantly derail threads to constantly put down the same player over and over.

I am not in favor of censorship, just a little common sense. Don't say anything you wouldn't attach your real name to.

All that said, it's fair to say every single person on Scoop would be thrilled if Stone came to MU.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:24:38 PM by Bleuteaux »

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2014, 10:32:50 PM »

Kinda sounds like the badger fans upset after Vander Blue called them out for spouting nonsense on message boards.

Even if you are skeptical of the effect, why take the risk if you care about MU?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »
Kinda sounds like the badger fans upset after Vander Blue called them out for spouting nonsense on message boards.

Even if you are skeptical of the effect, why take the risk if you care about MU?

I have been accused of many, many things in my life, but never anything as heinous as sounding, acting or smelling like a Badger fan!

I care about MU as much as any person who comments here. I do not think expressing one's freedom of speech is a risk. I think censorship, however, is a major risk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 07:37:46 AM »
I don't think censorship is the answer.   I think that contemplating what you have written and pondering its possible affects is a good idea.   "Would you say it to their face" is a safe guideline.   I try to follow that one.  Admittedly, I screw it up.   But until you have seen your name in print and ignoramuses spouting utter falsehoods about you and situations they know nothing about (yes, it has happened to me), you don't really understand the impact.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »
I've said this before, but what we write on our message board is a more direct reflection on our school than many other college teams' message boards.  Smaller private schools have a much higher percentage of fans that are alumni, especially compared to places like state schools.  Plus, there aren't as many sources out there for MU info (newspaper coverage sucks, etc.), so people end up here or the other boards if they're curious about MU and looking for info.  The amount of crap being posted here has increased significantly this year, and I wish everyone would try to think about how they're representing our school a little more before hitting the Post button.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
I don't think censorship is the answer.   I think that contemplating what you have written and pondering its possible affects is a good idea.   "Would you say it to their face" is a safe guideline.   I try to follow that one.  Admittedly, I screw it up.   But until you have seen your name in print and ignoramuses spouting utter falsehoods about you and situations they know nothing about (yes, it has happened to me), you don't really understand the impact.   

I have never once come on here and said "so-and-so sucks" or "so-and-so is worthless crap," or anything like that. I have said, "so-and-so simply is not good enough to play Position X for a high major." If that is the kind of outrageous slur that would convince a current player to quit, convince a recruit to go elsewhere or reflect poorly on the university, well, these easily offended folks either need to stay away from Internet chat sites or grow thicker skin.

The minute this or any site starts legislating against something as benign as "Buzz has to do a better job of recruiting guards better than so-and-so" is the minute this site isn't worth visiting at all.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:41 AM »
MU82, I am not singling you out.   I honestly cannot remember anything that you have posted that struck me as inappropriate.   I am speaking more to the communal 'you'.    And there is a huge difference between saying (Player X) doesn't shoot/jump/run the floor/defend/rebound well/ shows bad body language on the floor, etc. and some of the more extreme thing that have been written here this year.     Litehouse is right.   The extreme, vicious negative reflects poorly on us all and MU as a whole since the vast majority of us are alum.   So, say what you want, but think about what you say.  

To bring it home, contemplate what a few badger fans said about Wes's mother.   Think about what a few badger fans said about Buzz's bunch.  Does it reflect the entire badger nation?   Of course not.   Is it what all of us think of when we think of badger fans?   Hell, yes.  If we (communal we) truly believe we are superior to them, don't we have an obligation to show it through our words and actions and not just our attitude?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:46:38 AM by tower912 »

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
Curious nervous nelly question.

Will Wisconsins Win yesterday influence Stone in any way.  It seems like he has seen us lose every game this year, and he has seen them win every time this year.  Does this play into anything?

Secondly:  How does Diamond react to the Marquette team when he is attendance?  Is he cheering, or does he try to play it cool?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »

Will Wisconsins Win yesterday influence Stone in any way.  It seems like he has seen us lose every game this year, and he has seen them win every time this year.  Does this play into anything?

Secondly:  How does Diamond react to the Marquette team when he is attendance?  Is he cheering, or does he try to play it cool?

Stone saw Bucky choke one up against Northwestern last week.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »

Another fan reported that he and his dad were going nuts at the Villanova game. I think "cheering like 30 year season ticket holders" was the exact phrasing
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
I don't have a problem with sound basketball-related criticism.  I have a problem with saying that Stone has an "attitude problem" when you really don't know the kid at all. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »

Seemed pretty clear when I wrote it.

In a 69 reply thread, three people wrote about Stone's "attitude". That's a tiny number. Within that discussion, some of the talk pointed out the coaching issues Stone has been through and how that seems to have had an effect on his engagement. It's nowhere near a "bashing" in a logical thinker's mind.

Not surprisingly during your shocked outrage in this thread, you have glossed over the people who wrote that Stone will be one of the best in Wisconsin history and said he was a real talent that Buzz can work with and everyone on Scoop would be thrilled if he came to MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »

You mean like Vander Blue?

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2009/05/wisconsin-recruit-decommits-because-of-message-boards/

Look, I don't think anything said in this thread comes anywhere close to what UW boards said about Vander.  But let's not justify something by saying "well, he isn't mentally strong then."  Players are going to go, in part, where they feel welcome. 

And most of what is said in this thread has been more than fair.  But people need to know that Buzz has lost a recruit *he wanted* because of what was said in this very forum.  I just think they need to keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:52:58 AM by The Sultan of Serenity »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
Greek Freak's bro starts Dominican on Monday. Won't be playin' hoops 'til next season. GA says his 6'6" kin will be better than his own self.

Mark Miller just tweeted he may yet play this year.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »

You mean like Vander Blue?

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2009/05/wisconsin-recruit-decommits-because-of-message-boards/

And most of what is said in this thread has been more than fair.  But people need to know that Buzz has lost a recruit *he wanted* because of what was said in this very forum.  I just think they need to keep that in mind.
I thought Vander decommitted because details of a private meeting regarding academics were leaked by someone on the UW side?

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »
I don't have a problem with sound basketball-related criticism.  I have a problem with saying that Stone has an "attitude problem" when you really don't know the kid at all. 
I know plenty.  Out of respect for the family, the kid and the recruiting process I choose not to disclose any information that ultimately could hurt any of the people or processes I listed.  Saying what I said about him originally was the most respectful way I could put my concerns.  If me saying that he may not reach his potential because of his attitude is too negative, perhaps we should just shut down scoop all together.  If you don't like it don't read it. 
Marquette basketball will continue to be successful with or without DS.  My  hope is with.

feedback