Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Would Diamond Stone be a 1 and done?  (Read 33785 times)

Coleman

• All American
Would Diamond Stone be a 1 and done?
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
Not that I wouldn't still want him at MU. Might even be good for MU in the long run as it gets us to the next level of recruiting the more guys we put in the NBA.

But I am just curious what everyone thinks. 1 and done? 2 and done?

I know there is a separate thread on Stone, but this is more specific to how long people think he will play college ball

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Would Diamond Stone be a 1 and done?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
No way to tell until he steps on the court.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »
No way to tell until he steps on the court.

I agree with this. Heck, Embiid was quoted saying that at the start of the year, he considered a redshirt. It's so tough to tell with big guys.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
FYI from Mark Miller:

@WisBBYearbook: With Roy Williams in the crowd, Dominican junior Diamond Stone drops 34 in a 50-47 win at Racine St. Catherine's.

Q:  when did a recruit pick us over an offer from UNC? 

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »
Seen him a couple of times over the past several seasons.  Haven't been all that impressed.  Seems to have a questionable attitude.  Obviously everyone wants him at MU, because of the potential.  But he does take plays off, doesn't hustle and doesn't seem to have the best coaching.  I would highly doubt he would be one and done.  Unless he doesn't like college and the wrong people are in his ear.  Seems to have a good support system, so the attitude is a little strange.  Perhaps he will mature over the next year and a half, I believe he is young for his class.  Everyone wants him, just afraid he may be a bit overhyped and his attitude concerns me.  For those that get irritated with Davante's on court attitude, Diamond's is worse IMO.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:01:38 PM by BenCat12 »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
I saw Stone play last night and agree about the attitude issues.  But a talent like Diamond doesn't come through town every day.  Buzz should be able to turn him into a tough nosed player. 

I haven't watched a ton of high school basketball, so I don't know if this is true across the board for superstars, but the entire Dominican offense ran through Stone.  In the first half, the offense was either a) get it to DS inside or b) shoot the 3.  When Dominican was down at the end of the first and beginning of the second, it just became "get DS the ball AND have him shoot the three."  It probably doesn't help that the Dominican coach is just a kid (he looked early 30s).

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 03:57:54 PM »
Seen him a couple of times over the past several seasons.  Haven't been all that impressed.  Seems to have a questionable attitude.  Obviously everyone wants him at MU, because of the potential.  But he does take plays off, doesn't hustle and doesn't seem to have the best coaching.  I would highly doubt he would be one and done.  Unless he doesn't like college and the wrong people are in his ear.  Seems to have a good support system, so the attitude is a little strange.  Perhaps he will mature over the next year and a half, I believe he is young for his class.  Everyone wants him, just afraid he may be a bit overhyped and his attitude concerns me.  For those that get irritated with Davante's on court attitude, Diamond's is worse IMO.

This is dead on.  I thought D Stone seemed more engaged/better player his Freshman year that he does now.  Without the attitude change--no way is he one and done, IMO.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
I saw Stone play last night and agree about the attitude issues.  But a talent like Diamond doesn't come through town every day.  Buzz should be able to turn him into a tough nosed player. 

Like Jamil and Davante?

brandx

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »
Good job trashing a player by all the top level talent scouts here. Glad you're not recruiting for MU.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
This is dead on.  I thought D Stone seemed more engaged/better player his Freshman year that he does now.  Without the attitude change--no way is he one and done, IMO.

He had a real coach his freshman year.  Good kid, good family. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »
He had a real coach his freshman year.  Good kid, good family. 
+1 on the good coach his freshman year, that was a shame what happened at Domincan.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
Good job trashing a player by all the top level talent scouts here. Glad you're not recruiting for MU.
::)
Right because we aren't allowed to make honest assessments, I forgot.
He has great potential, and I will be thrilled if we land him, I just question his ability to meet that potential with his current attitude.  Like I said maybe he grows up a little bit and this isn't even an issue when he arrives at MU. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
The dude is 17. Everyone has an attitude at that age. I'm not concerned. Go for the best talent, Buzz can take care of the rest

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
Question for you Wisconsin scoopers out there.  Stone is 6ft 10, 260 lbs. and is obviously a talented player.  Do other high schools that he plays against have players with any size matching Stone's?  I would imagine not, and he should just dominate games.  

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 05:19:05 PM »
2 years max. I'd be thrilled with just 1. The pieces will be in place for a title run his frosh & potential soph year if he decides on MU. That would likely be the case at any of the blue bloods courting him as well. However, we have something to offer in addition that none of the others do in that it would be nice to have his family along for the ride the whole way. Hope he sees it that way too.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
I guess, by how he handled himself with Ellenson, Diamond is going to be solid.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/henry-ellenson-and-rice-lake-topple-diamond-stone-and-dominican-b99172987z1-237777531.html

However, facing a player who has at least 3 years in D1 is a huge difference.
SS Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »
FYI from Mark Miller:

@WisBBYearbook: With Roy Williams in the crowd, Dominican junior Diamond Stone drops 34 in a 50-47 win at Racine St. Catherine's.

We cannot compete with the weather and the fictional classes he will get credit for there.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
Scout and Rivals both say that NC hasn't offered yet.......not sure if those are up to date or not but I haven't read about an offer from UNC, Duke or Kentucky yet. I could have missed it....

As far as playing against other bigs.....in high school most of the people he plays against are smaller but he has gone to toe with other elite bigs in AAU and USA basketball and done very well.

Impossible to tell if he will be an early entry kind of guy..........6'10 250 a good but not elite level athlete.

I saw Demarcus Cousins play in high school and I can't say that Stone is at that level yet but he does have another year so......

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »
FYI from Mark Miller:

Not ever that I can think of.  It will be sweet to get that finally on the books should it happen, and it definitely could.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »

I'm sure that he is just feigning a NBA attitude so that the invites from USA Basketball will keep coming.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
Like Jamil and Davante?
You forgot Otule
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 07:24:33 PM »
Question for you Wisconsin scoopers out there.  Stone is 6ft 10, 260 lbs. and is obviously a talented player.  Do other high schools that he plays against have players with any size matching Stone's?  I would imagine not, and he should just dominate games.  

In last nights game, Stone had 3-4 inches on every other player.  St. Cat's center couldn't do anything except try to deny the entry pass.  Stone had at least 4 or 5 blocks to boot.

If Stone was playing in a big public school league he'd see more height, but the other teams in the conference are all small private schools.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
It's not easy to be a 1-and-done under a coach who never plays freshmen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »

As other eluded to, he does play against talented bigs in elite camps, AAU, etc.  Dominican is a D4 private school which does play against some D1 programs,etc. (Germantown) but in conference and the state tourney they play against similar enrollment--which means very small school kids from country roads in Sconnie.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
Greek Freak's bro starts Dominican on Monday. Won't be playin' hoops 'til next season. GA says his 6'6" kin will be better than his own self.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"