'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New low  (Read 7382 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: New low
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 08:21:16 PM »

A lot of those turnovers came as a result of what I'd like to call a perplexing offensive game plan, but I can't for sure say there was any offensive game plan at all.

None of this is to say Shaka is a bad coach. He's a good coach. But for one reason or another he hasn't been at his best against Creighton this year.

They lack a true sniper and someone that can create.  Kur is a zero on offense and was terrible today and didn’t see the court for the final 16 minutes or so.  Kolek is a great distributor but teams don’t respect him as a shooter.  Roster construction this year is the biggest issue and yes, that’s part of coaching.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2022, 08:24:49 PM »

A lot of those turnovers came as a result of what I'd like to call a perplexing offensive game plan, but I can't for sure say there was any offensive game plan at all.

None of this is to say Shaka is a bad coach. He's a good coach. But for one reason or another he hasn't been at his best against Creighton this year.

I think it's true we over lanalyze coaching moves as fans. That said, this was a stinker from the staff. It took late into the 1st half for them to figure out that the small line up was the answer...and then to start the 2nd, they came out with Kur, quickly subbed OMax for Elliott after a +1. Game over.  And Shaka took two time outs home with him on the charter back to MKE when MU was making the helter skelter run back where we came unglued at the end.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2022, 08:27:17 PM »
I think it's true we over lanalyze coaching moves as fans. That said, this was a stinker from the staff. It took late into the 1st half for them to figure out that the small line up was the answer...and then to start the 2nd, they came out with Kur, quickly subbed OMax for Elliott after a +1. Game over.  And Shaka took two time outs home with him on the charter back to MKE when MU was making the helter skelter run back where we came unglued at the end.

Thought about this.  Should he have taken a timeout after the Hawkins 3 or let them play since they were playing well before that?  A reset there perhaps? 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2022, 08:30:37 PM »
Thought about this.  Should he have taken a timeout after the Hawkins 3 or let them play since they were playing well before that?  A reset there perhaps?

I would have taken the timeout when they got it to 2, not sure Elliot was going to make two drives in a row.  I can’t believe that he wanted Jop in for that long.

Anyway, Wojo was 5-2 in all games in Omaha

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2022, 08:31:55 PM »
I would have taken the timeout when they got it to 2, not sure Elliot was going to make two drives in a row.  I can’t believe that he wanted Jop in for that long.

Anyway, Wojo was 5-2 in all games in Omaha

Jop held his own until that last bucket against him to seal the deal and he had an opportunity to sub him out

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2022, 08:32:32 PM »
We want Wojo!
Shaka is Wojo. February fade and cannot win in March.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2022, 08:35:14 PM »

I said that in game thread.  MU was on roll down two and the lead by CU went up five with that shot.

MU then played terrible, especially Elliott and CU ran them off the court.  Don’t believe he used a timeout after that.  Hawkins shot changed the whole game momentum wise and Shaka needed a timeout there. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2022, 08:37:59 PM »
I said that in game thread.  MU was on roll down two and the lead by CU went up five with that shot.

MU then played terrible, especially Elliott and CU ran them off the court.  Don’t believe he used a timeout after that.  Hawkins shot changed the whole game momentum wise and Shaka needed a timeout there.

I think you’re correct.  They needed a much better possession.  I like coaches letting teams play but that’s a gut punch moment that probably requires a TO to refocus

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2022, 08:46:02 PM »
Shaka is Wojo. February fade and cannot win in March.

You are Wojo.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »
and the one win came off a miracle tying buzzer beater from sam.

Please tell me that wasn't the last win over the Jays.  Heck, Chartouney was on that team, and scored the bucket with .8 seconds left on the clock to get within 3.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 09:56:53 PM by 94Warrior »

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2022, 10:31:33 PM »
Shaka cobbled together a tourney-bound performance from a team that has little right to be there. Even if we lose next week in the 1st round, this has been a successful year and hopefully a learning experience to boot.
Absolutely on target. The team turned over like a roster buster. And Wojo's cupboard was bare. And why was that? He couldn't convince 4 stars to play for a team that is known for producing some of the best players in the NBA. It come's down to coaching (and that's why wojo is gone, and waiting for another job- Why not Georgia) but my point is--> given time, Smart will recruit good players, great athletes, players with character who can handle the rigid requirements of playing at a university in America. And playing major college basketball.  I thought before the season it would take 3 years. Build the team around JL. Not rocket science. I  I expected JL to be here for four years. And now he's improved so quickly.  Many say he's gone. I believe he will  be back next year. Obviously, that would give us a boost of confidence. I may regret saying this, but if JL can't dominate in a game in the garden against the bluebirds he ain't ready for the nba. And Smart has cobbled together a team that should be proud of what they have done. I'm down tonight. But next year will be like warm coffee.  The team will turn over a little after the madness and MU will add pieces and the young guys will get stronger and play like the stars they were in high school and JL will be back and he will play like Kawhi Leonard. I'm sorry if I'm long winded. Cheers

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2022, 10:54:08 PM »
Absolutely on target. The team turned over like a roster buster. And Wojo's cupboard was bare. And why was that? He couldn't convince 4 stars to play for a team that is known for producing some of the best players in the NBA. It come's down to coaching (and that's why wojo is gone, and waiting for another job- Why not Georgia) but my point is--> given time, Smart will recruit good players, great athletes, players with character who can handle the rigid requirements of playing at a university in America. And playing major college basketball.  I thought before the season it would take 3 years. Build the team around JL. Not rocket science. I  I expected JL to be here for four years. And now he's improved so quickly.  Many say he's gone. I believe he will  be back next year. Obviously, that would give us a boost of confidence. I may regret saying this, but if JL can't dominate in a game in the garden against the bluebirds he ain't ready for the nba. And Smart has cobbled together a team that should be proud of what they have done. I'm down tonight. But next year will be like warm coffee.  The team will turn over a little after the madness and MU will add pieces and the young guys will get stronger and play like the stars they were in high school and JL will be back and he will play like Kawhi Leonard. I'm sorry if I'm long winded. Cheers

None of MU's freshman have anything resembling "star" ability.

And JL doesn't have the drive to play like Kawhi Leonard.  Tons of natural physical ability, but rarely gives total effort for an entire game.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2022, 05:51:28 AM »
and the one win came off a miracle tying buzzer beater from sam.

No, they won in Omaha in December 2020.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2022, 07:16:33 AM »
Truth is that Creighton is simply a better team than MU this year. I am not a McDermott fan, but I give him a lot of credit for completely changing the complexion of his team from prior years. They play very solid defense, move the ball very well on offense, don't get rattled, and play smart. If the two teams played ten times in a row, Creighton would win eight  of them. Basketball is about matchups and, just like 'Nova does not match up well with MU, we don't match up well with Creighton this year.

What concerns me about our team is that they hit their peak in January and have gone downhill since then. Second time around in conf play, all the other teams figured out how to beat them, and Shaka does not have the personnel to adjust.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2022, 07:23:04 AM »
Truth is that Creighton is simply a better team than MU this year. I am not a McDermott fan, but I give him a lot of credit for completely changing the complexion of his team from prior years. They play very solid defense, move the ball very well on offense, don't get rattled, and play smart. If the two teams played ten times in a row, Creighton would win eight  of them. Basketball is about matchups and, just like 'Nova does not match up well with MU, we don't match up well with Creighton this year.

What concerns me about our team is that they hit their peak in January and have gone downhill since then. Second time around in conf play, all the other teams figured out how to beat them, and Shaka does not have the personnel to adjust.

Marquette was 5-4 second time playing teams this season.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2022, 07:45:55 AM »
Mac has really quietly reloaded that team. Don’t forget that they lost Top 15 recruit TyTy Washington to Kentucky. The alleged reason is because of Mac’s plantation comment, but it’s possible it had more to do with Kentucky starting to sniff around and he was looking for any excuse to get out.

They’re a bad matchup for us currently, but they also have a talented team who deserves to be in the tournament. We helped them in that regard yesterday because they should definitely be sweating with their NET in the mid 60’s.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2022, 07:51:38 AM »
Cooley might be coach of the year nationally, but McDermott was the best coach in the Big East this year. Completely flipped his offensive style to a tough defense with a very young core. Kalkbrenner is the best big in the league, only Sanogo is in his class.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »
Why do people want to take any and all credit away from Providence and the season they've had?

Sanogo is the only big in the same class as Kalkbrenner?  Watson is right there with both of them.

McDermott the best coach in the Big East?  Cooley is clearly just as good of a coach and took a team predicted to finish 7th in the conference and won the conference outright.

I get people love algorithms.  But give the team some credit for actually winning games.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2022, 09:52:33 AM »
FireShaka.com is already registered, but ShakaLaVista.com is available.

panda

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2022, 10:41:49 AM »

Good points Oil Can. Stevie, Kam and Jop all played contributing roles on a good team. Each has shown one skill that they can excel at year one and build around for year two. They're great building blocks.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2022, 12:21:59 PM »
Mac has really quietly reloaded that team. Don’t forget that they lost Top 15 recruit TyTy Washington to Kentucky. The alleged reason is because of Mac’s plantation comment, but it’s possible it had more to do with Kentucky starting to sniff around and he was looking for any excuse to get out.

They’re a bad matchup for us currently, but they also have a talented team who deserves to be in the tournament. We helped them in that regard yesterday because they should definitely be sweating with their NET in the mid 60’s.

It wasn't all that quiet.  It was still the best recruiting class in Creighton history.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2022, 12:57:42 PM »
Why do people want to take any and all credit away from Providence and the season they've had?

Sanogo is the only big in the same class as Kalkbrenner?  Watson is right there with both of them.

McDermott the best coach in the Big East?  Cooley is clearly just as good of a coach and took a team predicted to finish 7th in the conference and won the conference outright.

I get people love algorithms.  But give the team some credit for actually winning games.

Cooley and PC had a hell of a year and deserve all the honors they get. Cooley is BECOY.

But Watson isn't very good. The numbers show PC is often better with him on the bench.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2022, 01:04:06 PM »

Watson has lead feet and is an absolute garbage defender.

McDermott flipping his team from an offensive speed machine to this defensive based squad around mostly freshmen is far more impressive than running out with a bunch of grad seniors.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2022, 01:07:20 PM »
McDermott gets my vote but Cooley also did great work this year

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2022, 02:07:45 PM »
Many say he's gone. I believe he will  be back next year. Obviously, that would give us a boost of confidence. I may regret saying this, but if JL can't dominate in a game in the garden against the bluebirds he ain't ready for the nba.

It doesn't matter if Lewis is "ready." After the first half-dozen picks, NBA teams draft purely on potential a year or three from now.

He is increasingly showing up in the first round of mock drafts. Selfishly, as a Marquette fan, I'd love to see him stay for another year. Right now, though, that looks unlikely. Ready or not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson