[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188222 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #1150 on: June 13, 2021, 03:26:05 PM »
How serious is Kyrie's injury?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: June 13, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »
How serious is Kyrie's injury?

Looked like the definition of a sprained ankle. Probably will swell up quite a bit and then really just come down to his pain tolerance.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: June 13, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »

I also have no problem with Marquette no longer allowing athletes who have no chance to graduate.

No chance to graduate? With his “class”, sure - like lots of guys I knew at Marquette. But I’ll bet Jae is waaaay closer to graduating than Henry Ellenson, DJ Carton, Dawson Garcia and lots of other guys who have played basketball on scholarship at MU.

And according to Wades and Sultan, it’s not a “Marquette” rule, but an NCAA rule - if we broke it there’s no NCAA participation for us. And it’s been published ad infinitude on Scoop. I’ve never seen this new NCAA rule published on Scoop but Sultan says it’s delineation is ubiquitous here…
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:44:33 PM by Lennys Tap »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: June 13, 2021, 03:46:29 PM »
No chance to graduate? I’ll bet Jae is waaaay closer to graduating than Henry Ellenson, DJ Carton, Dawson Garcia and lots of other guys who have played basketball on scholarship at MU.

And according to Wades and Sultan, it’s not a “Marquette” rule, but an NCAA rule - if we broke it there’s no NCAA participation for us. And it’s been published ad infinitude on Scoop. I’ve never seen this new NCAA rule published on Scoop but Sultan says it’s delineation is ubiquitous here…

I have no idea if it's an NCAA rule or not. Maybe TAMU knows.

Ellenson, Carton, Garcia and "lots of other guys" could work toward graduating with their class the day they registered as Marquette students. That the first two chose to leave college early, and third also might be doing so, is beside the point. And I'm pretty sure you know it.

I have no problem with what Marquette is doing regarding jucos who can't graduate. You do. Reasonable people can disagree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1154 on: June 13, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:56:26 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: June 13, 2021, 03:52:07 PM »
No chance to graduate? With his “class”, sure - like lots of guys I knew at Marquette. But I’ll bet Jae is waaaay closer to graduating than Henry Ellenson, DJ Carton, Dawson Garcia and lots of other guys who have played basketball on scholarship at MU.

Yeah you obviously don’t understand NCAA APR.

A one and done who can graduate but leaves early on good academic terms doesn’t hurt your chances of playing in the post season. A guy coming in with no chance of graduating does hurt your chances of playing in the post season. So you have it wrong. But you’ll try to twist some words into pretzels because that’s what you do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1156 on: June 13, 2021, 04:17:10 PM »
Correct. Gonna be a one and done with no intention of ever graduating? Welcome. Gonna be a freshman transfer who has no intention of graduating and is leaving after one year? Come on down.

But if you’re a juco who will be a semester short when your eligibility is up? No thanks. We don’t want your kind, MU is not for you. Anymore, at least.

I guess I don't consider Jae's "kind" to be reduced down to his pre-Marquette academics. I consider Jae to be a fantastic person on and off the court who came from an extremely disadvantaged background. I expect Marquette will continue to recruit people like Jae who also meet the bare bones minimum requirements that Marquette requires for admission and I will be just as proud to call them alumni as I am to call Jae an alum.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: June 13, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »
I think Kyrie is going to be out awhile.

Was that play a little dirty by Giannis? Seemed like he slid under him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: June 13, 2021, 05:16:21 PM »
I think Kyrie is going to be out awhile.

Was that play a little dirty by Giannis? Seemed like he slid under him.

I thought Giannis was just moving in for a rebound. When I saw replays, he didn't look down at where Kyrie might land and then put his foot there, or anything. I have no "proof" it wasn't dirty, but I see no reason to believe it was.

Late in the game, Van Gundy said something like: "Now Kevin Durant knows what it's like to be like most of the other superstars in this league." In other words, he isn't on a superteam if 2/3 of the supers aren't playing on the team.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: June 13, 2021, 05:53:09 PM »
I think one of the other issues was KD got as unfriendly a whistle tonight as I’ve ever seen.  I’m not saying it was unfair or some conspiracy, but KD gets reffed a certain way all year and most of the playoffs, but for whatever reason they allowed him to be played very rough and physically today.  He still scored, but he had a tough time of it and was decked a few times I was shocked didnt draw whistles. 

Another interesting thing, for anyone who wants a good estimation of the difference between the NBA and high level Euro/Euroleague basketball…Mike James was an absolute superstar the last 2-3 years for CSKA.  Scoring PG extraordinaire who could get his looks at will and torch from outside….he’s been an absolute bum almost the entire playoffs

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: June 13, 2021, 07:34:02 PM »
Jae had 3 pts and took 1 shot(made it obviously) in that first qtr. And it was a stellar quarter for him.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1161 on: June 13, 2021, 07:36:47 PM »
I guess I don't consider Jae's "kind" to be reduced down to his pre-Marquette academics. I consider Jae to be a fantastic person on and off the court who came from an extremely disadvantaged background. I expect Marquette will continue to recruit people like Jae who also meet the bare bones minimum requirements that Marquette requires for admission and I will be just as proud to call them alumni as I am to call Jae an alum.
Jae is a great representative of MU and one of my all time favorites .

I would disagree that Jae came from a disadvantaged background . Jaes father played in The NBA and has been heavily involved with Jaes career . From what i have read I would characterize Jaes situation as having some bad academic counseling in JC. To Jaes credit he has overcome all that and is in a great place .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: June 13, 2021, 08:44:11 PM »
Jokic is gone, hello Suns sweep.  Wow just wow.

CP3 is dominating in the mid-range.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: June 13, 2021, 08:59:33 PM »

Impossible.

midrangenomatta

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: June 13, 2021, 09:02:55 PM »
Yeah you obviously don’t understand NCAA APR.

A one and done who can graduate but leaves early on good academic terms doesn’t hurt your chances of playing in the post season. A guy coming in with no chance of graduating does hurt your chances of playing in the post season. So you have it wrong. But you’ll try to twist some words into pretzels because that’s what you do.

Would it ding your APR a bit? Sure. You don’t make a habit out of it. But is bringing in a guy like Jae occasionally going to keep you out of the tournament? LOL.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: June 13, 2021, 09:05:11 PM »
Jokic is gone, hello Suns sweep.  Wow just wow.

What a joke of a call, no pun intended. They ejected him not because he hit anyone hard - it was a glancing blow at worst- but because of how hard his arm swung. And he clearly was making a play on the ball.
J hate to sound like old man/Charles Barkley, but that was a routine foul in the 90s.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: June 13, 2021, 09:06:37 PM »
What a joke of a call, no pun intended. They ejected him not because he hit anyone hard - it was a glancing blow at worst- but because of how hard his arm swung. And he clearly was making a play on the ball.
J hate to sound like old man/Charles Barkley, but that was a routine foul in the 90s.

That was not a joke.

It was a brief lapse in judgment but the look on his face said it all, he lost his cool and fully wound up and swung his arm violently. Also, it very clearly hit Payne pretty good

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: June 13, 2021, 09:11:03 PM »
That was not a joke.

It was a brief lapse in judgment but the look on his face said it all, he lost his cool and fully wound up and swung his arm violently. Also, it very clearly hit Payne pretty good

Oh, please. Jokic is a 284-pound man. If he "got Payne pretty good," Payne would have been down for the count. The shot barely got him. Didn't even leave a mark.
Is it your position that NBA fouls should now be called not by the actual contact made, but on "the look on his face"? Farcical.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: June 13, 2021, 09:12:14 PM »

I’d be totally fine with a Flagrant 1, the 2 was a bit too much for me.  He lost his cool, but there was no bad intent and he got mostly ball. I think a very real question is “does Lebron/Curry/KD/Harden get tossed for that foul?”  I don’t think so.  Which is just interesting how Jokic is officiated/handled even as an MVP

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: June 13, 2021, 09:15:21 PM »
Oh, please. Jokic is a 284-pound man. If he "got Payne pretty good," Payne would have been down for the count. The shot barely got him. Didn't even leave a mark.
Is it your position that NBA fouls should now be called not by the actual contact made, but on "the look on his face"? Farcical.

No, my position on intent was the clear look on his face.

The foul was the contact.

Simple stuff really

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: June 13, 2021, 09:31:34 PM »
I thought it should have been a  F-1.

Congrats to Jae for back to back conf Finals.  They could very well win the chip.  They're a complete team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: June 13, 2021, 09:53:22 PM »
Would it ding your APR a bit? Sure. You don’t make a habit out of it. But is bringing in a guy like Jae occasionally going to keep you out of the tournament? LOL.

So…set a limit on the number of “Jae’s type” you can have? That is okay, even though saying “Jae’s type is not welcome anymore” is…well, setting a limit on the number of “Jae’s type” you can have?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1172 on: June 13, 2021, 10:11:48 PM »
Congrats to Jae and The Suns. Next series should be tougher but hope they win.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1173 on: June 13, 2021, 10:23:05 PM »
So…set a limit on the number of “Jae’s type” you can have? That is okay, even though saying “Jae’s type is not welcome anymore” is…well, setting a limit on the number of “Jae’s type” you can have?

Not the same at all.  My HS had a quota at Madison every year that limited the number of attendees per class.  Two of my good friends from undergrad went to HS’s that has quotas at both our alma mater and OSU, once it became a academically competitive and desirable school in the last decade. Students from all were most certainly welcome at the respective schools, just a limit on how many on campus at a time. Same deal in this scenario.

As for the game tonight, for all the criticism and jokes and shade that’s been thrown at him, man watching Chris Paul play PG is a joy.  He was absolutely unreal now and he’s really on the perfect team for his role and experience now. When he gets cooking, every mid range jumper that doesn’t fall feels like an absurd anomaly

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: June 13, 2021, 10:48:03 PM »
As for the game tonight, for all the criticism and jokes and shade that’s been thrown at him, man watching Chris Paul play PG is a joy.  He was absolutely unreal now and he’s really on the perfect team for his role and experience now. When he gets cooking, every mid range jumper that doesn’t fall feels like an absurd anomaly

To me, he's been MVP of the playoffs so far.

feedback