collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188060 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #575 on: May 07, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
For the record, I thought, and still think, Bill Walton is a idiot also. Especially, when he publicly stated, in an interview, that he felt it was important for President Nixon to know his sentiments concerning the Vietnam War. I am a non-discriminating critic of idiots. Shut up and dribble, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #576 on: May 07, 2021, 08:18:58 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #577 on: May 18, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »
I'm interested to see how the play-in tournament is received. If nothing else, it's a few single-elimination games so they should be very competitive.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #578 on: May 18, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
I'm interested to see how the play-in tournament is received. If nothing else, it's a few single-elimination games so they should be very competitive.

I really like the added element of excitement.  Especially when you sometimes have a gulf between the top teams and the lower stretch of the playoff qualifiers.  Its like a relegation battle in soccer in a way.

This year is particularly great cause of how a team like the Lakers is so annoyed by it.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #579 on: May 18, 2021, 10:36:53 AM »
Looking forward to this year's version of "Bucks flame out in 5... maybe 6." Could be a first round exit this time!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #580 on: May 18, 2021, 10:50:17 AM »
I think the Bucks get a bad rap. Sure, last year was a disaster. Two years ago they were a team short on playoff experience that lost in the ECF to the eventual champions. They lead the series 2-0 with the 3rd game in OT. They were 8-1 in the first two rounds. It's not like they have been terrible in the playoffs two years in a row.

Bucks win this series in 5 or 6. They are much better suited for the Heat this year than they were last year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #581 on: May 18, 2021, 11:02:10 AM »
I think the Bucks get a bad rap. Sure, last year was a disaster. Two years ago they were a team short on playoff experience that lost in the ECF to the eventual champions. They lead the series 2-0 with the 3rd game in OT. They were 8-1 in the first two rounds. It's not like they have been terrible in the playoffs two years in a row.

Bucks win this series in 5 or 6. They are much better suited for the Heat this year than they were last year.

Just a much better roster for the long run in my opinion.

Swap out Bledsoe for Holiday, big upgrade.  Swap out Matthews for an improved DiVincenzo, probably a wash.  But they are better as a starting unit.

But the bench upgrade is huge, IMO.  Portis, Tucker, Forbes, Nwora and Teague is a big upgrade over Korver, Sterling Brown, George Hill, Marvin Williams, and Ilyasova.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #582 on: May 18, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »
The only reason the Heat have any shot at all is the coaching advantage.  Hopefully the players can overcome that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #583 on: May 18, 2021, 01:51:56 PM »
Just a much better roster for the long run in my opinion.

Swap out Bledsoe for Holiday, big upgrade.  Swap out Matthews for an improved DiVincenzo, probably a wash.  But they are better as a starting unit.

But the bench upgrade is huge, IMO.  Portis, Tucker, Forbes, Nwora and Teague is a big upgrade over Korver, Sterling Brown, George Hill, Marvin Williams, and Ilyasova.

Couldn't agree more. Brown, Korver and Ersan getting meaningful minutes in the playoffs was doom.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #584 on: May 18, 2021, 02:30:40 PM »
Couldn't agree more. Brown, Korver and Ersan getting meaningful minutes in the playoffs was doom.

I'm not sure Forbes, Portis, Nwora, or Teague is any good, either, when it comes to Playoff basketball.  And I'd take Hill over Tucker overall for Playoff basketball as well.

It really will come down to how Donte plays and whether Bud uses Brook to punish teams who go small.  If Donte is okay or better the Bucks can make a run.  If he's terrible the Bucks will be in trouble.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #585 on: May 18, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »
I'm not sure Forbes, Portis, Nwora, or Teague is any good, either, when it comes to Playoff basketball.  And I'd take Hill over Tucker overall for Playoff basketball as well.

It really will come down to how Donte plays and whether Bud uses Brook to punish teams who go small.  If Donte is okay or better the Bucks can make a run.  If he's terrible the Bucks will be in trouble.

Not counting on anything from Nwora and I excluded Hill from my list. But I'd be surprised if the other three didn't contribute. Forbes will make shots and is 10x the defender Korver is, even if he's still pretty poor. Portis will at least give effort and rebound. Same with Tucker. Most importantly, they are an automatic improvement by not being the two laterally slowest players in the league.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #586 on: May 18, 2021, 03:26:43 PM »

I dont expect anything from Nwora either, and Portis is only interesting cause all he's done is improve over the last 5 years.  But the other 3 arent some green unknown quantities.

Teague has started 60 playoff games, averaged 15 and 5 over them, and knows Bud and his system very well.  Thats about as good as you can ask for from a backup PG.  And I'm not some raving Teague fan.

Tucker is a tough defender, a great glue guy, and does the dirty work.   

Neither is expected to be THE MAN, but those are great second unit pieces.

Forbes played well in the playoffs 2 years ago for the Spurs.  He's a great bench option too.

Hill is the only piece they will miss, but the benefits of the rest outweigh them.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #587 on: May 18, 2021, 03:31:50 PM »
Even if they get by Miami, I think a full strength Brooklyn dispatches them with some ease.

The only way they win a title in this window is if they can get a better head coach in. I'm at peace with them flaming out if it helps expedite that process.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #588 on: May 18, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »
Even if they get by Miami, I think a full strength Brooklyn dispatches them with some ease.

The only way they win a title in this window is if they can get a better head coach in. I'm at peace with them flaming out if it helps expedite that process.

I don't think they win a title regardless of their coach. It's a 2+ superstar league. Holliday is good, but they need another Dude alongside Giannis and Middleton isn't that guy. The minute they locked Middleton down, they conceded turning Giannis into a new version of Karl Malone.

My prediction: In 2023, the Lasry group flips the team and real estate for stupid money, Giannis forces a trade, and the Bucks go back to being the Bucks we all know and tolerate because their presence means MU gets to play in an NBA arena.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #589 on: May 18, 2021, 03:45:16 PM »
Hill is the only piece they will miss, but the benefits of the rest outweigh them.

George Hill was a disaster in last year's playoffs. 

As good a player and leader as he has been over the years, and even during his time with the Bucks, his play really sucked in the 2020 playoffs.  I suspect he was overly distracted by the events of last summer as he was the guy who led the Bucks to boycott the first playoff game.  I'm not saying this to take either political side, as I understand that some things (many things) are more important than basketball.  But look up Hill's 2020 playoff stats and tell me how much the Bucks will miss him in this year's playoffs.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #590 on: May 18, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »
Forbes and Portis couldn't guard Symir Torrence or Matt Heldt, let alone NBA caliber players.  If Forbes isn't completely on fire, he's a net negative.  Portis can play against smaller bigs that can't step out and shoot and aren't options on the roll in a pick and roll.  AKA nobody that will be playing in the Playoffs.  They can both get buckets offensively, but both give up many more than they get defensively.

Tucker will help make players uncomfortable on the defensive end, but he's averaging 2 points per game.  He's a complete and utter non-threat offensively.  He'll stand in a corner and opponents will have a big playing a complete free safety to help on Giannis's drive.

Pat C has been solid for a bench guy, but if I'm the Bucks opponent and that's the most complete player coming off the Bucks' bench, I'm feeling alright.  Teague won't get more than 12 minutes per game, nor should he.

Spoe>>>>>>>>Bud

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #591 on: May 18, 2021, 04:32:16 PM »
Forbes and Portis couldn't guard Symir Torrence or Matt Heldt, let alone NBA caliber players.  If Forbes isn't completely on fire, he's a net negative.  Portis can play against smaller bigs that can't step out and shoot and aren't options on the roll in a pick and roll.  AKA nobody that will be playing in the Playoffs.  They can both get buckets offensively, but both give up many more than they get defensively.

Tucker will help make players uncomfortable on the defensive end, but he's averaging 2 points per game.  He's a complete and utter non-threat offensively.  He'll stand in a corner and opponents will have a big playing a complete free safety to help on Giannis's drive.

Pat C has been solid for a bench guy, but if I'm the Bucks opponent and that's the most complete player coming off the Bucks' bench, I'm feeling alright.  Teague won't get more than 12 minutes per game, nor should he.

Spoe>>>>>>>>Bud

There are definitely some things I disagree with in here. But we agree about the coaching mismatch.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #592 on: May 18, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
Heat in 4

Coach Bud to Creighton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #593 on: May 18, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »
When do the Hornets start playing? I could have sworn tip-off was a couple hours ago!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #594 on: May 18, 2021, 09:44:41 PM »
I can't help but keep thinking about how unique Steph Curry is. Every team knows, stop Curry and the game is yours. They run everyone at him, double, triple and even quadruple team him.

He still beats them. There is no player I remember like that.

I think Jokic's all around performance gets him the MVP (averaging 26, 11 and 8 is pretty crazy), but its also hard to argue agains what Steph did this year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #595 on: May 18, 2021, 09:58:10 PM »
Tatum is the real deal.  I really haven't watched him much but he's totally unguardable with his height and range.  Is he a slightly lesser version of Durant?  He seems to be a little bit stronger.  The rest of this Celtics team is very mediocre without Jalen Brown. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:05:30 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #596 on: May 18, 2021, 10:04:11 PM »
I can't help but keep thinking about how unique Steph Curry is. Every team knows, stop Curry and the game is yours. They run everyone at him, double, triple and even quadruple team him.

I think Jokic's all around performance gets him the MVP (averaging 26, 11 and 8 is pretty crazy), but its also hard to argue agains what Steph did this year.

As crazy as it sounds I don't think most people realize how remarkable Curry truly has been.  Because the rest of that team is well below sub-par without Klay Thompson.  Unfortunately they have no answer for Davis and James.  JTA may have to go off for 25 and lock down Lebron.  I'm a little biased but I would vote Curry for the MVP.  I mean seriously....that's a 20 win team or worse without him.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:07:46 PM by MuggsyB »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #597 on: May 18, 2021, 11:50:08 PM »

I’ve never seen a person that can always get his shot despite not having a size advantage or insane athleticism. The closest is probably Kyrie, but Steph is a much better shooter so he gets the nod.  The way he creates slivers and pockets of space to get off a 3, when entire game plans are built around taking away his deep ball, is incredible.

Also entertaining cause Twitter was hot and heavy making fun of him going into the year for not being able to carry a team and needing Klay, and he’s went Supernova in response

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2021, 07:25:53 AM »
Yeah butt, da Bucks are Giannis, Jrue, and a bunch of smoes, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2021, 07:50:00 AM »
I have enjoyed watching LaMelo Ball this season, but he wasn't the same player after he returned from his wrist injury. Last night, on the biggest stage of his young pro career, he played like a clueless 19-year-old.

I know that plus/minus is a flawed stat, but his minu-35 -- MINUS-35!!!!! -- spoke volumes.

Hornets have a few nice pieces, including LaMelo -- especially LaMelo. But right now they have the look of one of those middle-of-the-pack teams that will be on the playoff/lottery bubble every season, with lots of large salaries but little to show for it. Gotta be driving Jordan nuts. And Michael couldn't have liked the total lack of effort last night.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback