[Today at 12:23:18 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by drewm88
[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The coolest cities in the US and Canada  (Read 4049 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: The coolest cities in the US and Canada
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2023, 06:56:05 PM »
London is a pretty cool city. A real college town feel to it.

2000+ years of history and your contribution is "a college town feeling"? 

Delete your account.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2023, 07:33:31 PM »

Delete your account.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2023, 08:46:44 PM »
I've been to all but two of these cities and I'd rate them this way:

1) Vancouver, BC -- This is just an incredible, cosmopolitan place that's lot of fun, interesting and just culturally different to be intriguing.

2) Seattle -- Every time I go here, there is something new. Haven't been there since Covid-19 ended and anarchy prevailed on Capital Hill, but this is someplace really nice. There's no place prettier than here on one of the 10 clear days a year!

3) Chicago -- My home for 44 years. Still fascinating. Still fun. Probably the most American of American cities.

4) Miami -- Ignored it until relatively recently but this is an interesting and very cosmopolitan city. Not as many old people as one might think.

5) San Francisco -- I think I have been here so many times, I'm San Franciscoed out. But it's a very different city and if Chicago is what America is, San Francisco is what it thinks it is. Homelessness wasn't as bad last July as I thought it would be.
This is kind of my list too EXCEPT San Francisco is just too disgusting these days.  The parts of it that one used to visit for the "culture" are now completely off limits.
If you get a non-rainy day or two, Seattle is amazing.

As for the original list - subtract points for homeless population and murders per year and then you'd end up with a pretty decent result. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and add that I spent a few nights in Omaha recently and got to really explore the city center.  Definitely enjoyed it.  Intelligent and purposeful re-development.  The Old Market is what the 3rd ward could have/should have been. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2023, 10:47:43 PM »
ATL and Orlando have no place on this list!  MKE is way more interesting than both places combined and should be higher.   And Porky knows ATL extremely well.   Orlando not as much but still.....C'mon!  The inclusion of Tampa Porky also finds curious, but having never been there, Porky can't judge with certainty.   

It's population may be too small to qualify, but In Porky's no so humble opinion, Asheville, NC is by far the coolest city in the deep south.  Had the publication done more research, Porky believes they would agree.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2023, 08:08:37 AM »
Not sure if they're lumping in St. Petersburg with Tampa, but downtown St. Pete is much cooler than any part of Tampa.

I actually didn't know that until a couple years ago when we visited my cousin, who lives in a wonderful neighborhood of mostly restored victorians (and other large, old, southern-charm homes) that is within walking distance of downtown and the waterfront. We loved it there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2023, 08:13:12 AM »
ATL and Orlando have no place on this list!  MKE is way more interesting than both places combined and should be higher.   And Porky knows ATL extremely well.   Orlando not as much but still.....C'mon!  The inclusion of Tampa Porky also finds curious, but having never been there, Porky can't judge with certainty.   

It's population may be too small to qualify, but In Porky's no so humble opinion, Asheville, NC is by far the coolest city in the deep south.  Had the publication done more research, Porky believes they would agree.

There are places in ATL that are interesting. Decatur, little 5 points area, the area around the Oakland cemetery, Piedmont park, Ponce City Market, Hapeville.  But it’s just to spread out.

Orlando has Winter Park and Lake Ida. And then there’s um, did I mention Winter Oark and Lake Ida?
Tampa is a red neck, older version of Orlando. St. Pete, as someone mentioned upthread is more interesting.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2023, 08:51:32 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and add that I spent a few nights in Omaha recently and got to really explore the city center.  Definitely enjoyed it.  Intelligent and purposeful re-development.  The Old Market is what the 3rd ward could have/should have been.
Agree on Omaha. Not suggesting its a great vacation spot like Vegas, NY or Miami, but for a Warriors game v Blue Jays or College WS it is a good town. Just big enough, Fortune 500 money, Old Market and new development done thoughtfully. And it gave us the Reuben sandwich, so it can't be that bad.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2023, 08:56:48 AM »
There are places in ATL that are interesting. Decatur, little 5 points area, the area around the Oakland cemetery, Piedmont park, Ponce City Market, Hapeville.  But it’s just to spread out.

Orlando has Winter Park and Lake Ida. And then there’s um, did I mention Winter Oark and Lake Ida?
Tampa is a red neck, older version of Orlando. St. Pete, as someone mentioned upthread is more interesting.

I travel through Orlando all the time. It's the home of plastic mice and people-eating alligators. And that's its good qualities.

Orlando is what happens when you have an unconstrained version of Wisconsin Dells.

Besides, central Florida has the worst weather in the country, bar none!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2023, 09:06:36 AM »

Delete your account.

The title of the thread is “The Coolest Cities in the US and Canada”.

Try to keep up, Roqqet.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2023, 09:22:43 AM »

The title of the thread is “The Coolest Cities in the US and Canada”.

Try to keep up, Roqqet.

There's more than one city on the planet named London?
Whoa. Who could have imagined?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2023, 09:55:53 AM »
On our last Charlotte-to-Chicago drive, we stopped in London, Ky., so my wife could go to Starbucks.

The line of cars at the drive-thru was very long, suggesting that London must be a real cool place for coffee products.

We never saw Big Ben, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2023, 10:22:59 AM »
On our last Charlotte-to-Chicago drive, we stopped in London, Ky., so my wife could go to Starbucks.

The line of cars at the drive-thru was very long, suggesting that London must be a real cool place for coffee products.

Big Ben is actually an obese London, Ky local who normally hangs out in his signature booth at Texas Roadhouse, so would make sense you missed him at Starbucks

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2023, 10:24:16 AM »
London Kentucky is the 4th larget London in the world. Thank you, Google.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
London Kentucky is the 4th larget London in the world. Thank you, Google.

More importantly, it’s the 2nd largest London to have been graced by my presence.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2023, 06:55:20 PM »

Had an excellent lunch once in London, KY
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »
Had an excellent lunch once in London, KY

What did you have at Texas Roadhouse?  And was it a seasonal fall item that you were reminded of in late October that you were so motivated revive a 2 month dormant thread to mention?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2023, 07:10:06 PM »
What did you have at Texas Roadhouse?  And was it a seasonal fall item that you were reminded of in late October that you were so motivated revive a 2 month dormant thread to mention?
https://localhoneylondonky.com/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2023, 07:58:59 PM »
Spent today in Sedona. Definitely qualifies.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2023, 08:16:58 PM »
Spent today in Sedona. Definitely qualifies.

Sedona resident average age is 60 years old. It does not qualify as cool, but it nearly qualifies for medicare.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2023, 08:51:50 PM »
Sedona resident average age is 60 years old. It does not qualify as cool, but it nearly qualifies for medicare.

Vast majority of people were nowhere even. Close to 60.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2023, 08:56:08 PM »
All right so since this was revived, I’m going with the family to Vancouver next summer. Any recommendations on what to see/do appreciated.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2023, 09:20:34 PM »
Vast majority of people were nowhere even. Close to 60.

It's just the reality of the town's demographics.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2023, 09:31:01 PM »
All right so since this was revived, I’m going with the family to Vancouver next summer. Any recommendations on what to see/do appreciated.

There is a new geotagging/scavenger hunt style game in Vancouver called “find a house for sale for under $1MM”…I’ve heard it’s basically impossible to accomplish

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2023, 09:35:35 PM »
It's just the reality of the town's demographics.

Not on the trails.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2023, 10:21:17 PM »
Not on the trails.

Thats actually not surprising at all. 

I was gonna make a joke about maybe the 60 year olds look like youngins to you  ;D

Reminds me of a friend who went to Naples to visit his friend's parents and was pretty ignorant to it in general other than it being nice.  They lived nearer to downtown.  He was raving about how cool and young Naples was.  Which is a big WTF to anyone who knows Naples.  Turns out he went to beach near one of the nicer hotels, and bars and newer restaurants all during late March.  So yea, you basically found the only young people in Naples while visiting, not at all representative of the population.