[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Offseason thoughts  (Read 7558 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Offseason thoughts
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2023, 10:07:21 PM »
I thought Ellis was supposed to get minutes but was hurt?

He maybe WAS...but after how the season went with so many awesome performance from

Kolek
Jones
Jones
Ross
Stevie
Norman coming in
Lowery coming in

do you really think he has minutes available?
VIOLENCE!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2023, 10:08:45 PM »
Wait a minute, they just said TCU seeks 43 deflections a game.   Is Shaka setting the bar too low at 32?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2023, 10:09:20 PM »
He maybe WAS...but after how the season went with so many awesome performance from

Kolek
Jones
Jones
Ross
Stevie
Norman coming in
Lowery coming in

do you really think he has minutes available?

The only guys I’d guarantee minutes ahead of him are TK, KJ, SM, and CR.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2023, 10:09:51 PM »
The only guys I’d guarantee minutes ahead of him are TK, KJ, SM, and CR.

Norman is a stone cold lock.
VIOLENCE!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2023, 10:11:43 PM »
They’re going to load up on 5* players. I’d be shocked of they are looking seriously at Kam. Do we just assume this cause he’s from Memphis?
Yes…..only suggesting memphis due to proximity to his home.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2023, 10:13:40 PM »
I'm hoping Joplin can develop more of a consistent offensive game and work on his handles. He can get hot and shoot sometimes, but he needs to really tighten his handle and develop more inside the 3-point line. Also hoping Oso can keep working on his offensive game because he's often pretty reliant on Kolek/good passes. Will be interesting to see how the guards shake out with incoming players.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2023, 10:15:40 PM »
Itejere and Wrightsil will be gone. I think Ellis will be on the team next year as just a program guy with not many minutes expected.

I’d be a little surprised if we hang on to Gold. I sure hope so since I think he’s got lots of potential but that kid would get a lot of minutes somewhere next year and his role was pretty minimal this year.

Not sure on Sean Jones. I thought he had some highs and lows this year. He’s a guy who could develop and become a good upperclassmen. Tre Norman is not coming here to have the role he had though.

Joplin would be getting 28 minutes a game at  several P6 schools. He got 19 a game this year. Is he ok with that?
Great post….right on.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2023, 11:11:08 PM »
I wouldn’t be quick to write off Keeyan. He’s got size, length and looks athletic.  This was his first non redshirt season.  Oso wasn’t getting any minutes his first year either.  Bigs are so difficult to find. I hope he can make a jump and earn rotation minutes next year.  Depth up front is much needed. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2023, 11:16:30 PM »
I wouldn’t be quick to write off Keeyan. He’s got size, length and looks athletic.  This was his first non redshirt season.  Oso wasn’t getting any minutes his first year either.  Bigs are so difficult to find. I hope he can make a jump and earn rotation minutes next year.  Depth up front is much needed.
Oso was starting to get a few minutes his freshman year--and I thought his play should have earned him more--but then he got injured. And this was Keeyan's second year in the program already; yes, first non-redshirt, but I would have expected a lot more after sitting and learning for a year. I'll be stunned if he is ever a meaningful contributor at MU.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2023, 11:23:05 PM »
Interesting thread with a lot of speculation.  End of the day it was a piss poor game plan ala Crean that didn’t know how to find dribble penetration into the paint. That’s on the coaches.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2023, 11:27:41 PM »
I'm hoping Joplin can develop more of a consistent offensive game and work on his handles. He can get hot and shoot sometimes, but he needs to really tighten his handle and develop more inside the 3-point line. Also hoping Oso can keep working on his offensive game because he's often pretty reliant on Kolek/good passes. Will be interesting to see how the guards shake out with incoming players.
While frustrating at times, I think Joplin had a really good season. He showed a willingness to try and develop his game in the post and get different looks. While it’s still a work in progress, I think it’ll continue to get better. Shaka gave him a pretty long leash this year, so hopefully the patience pays off. If our guys continue to make strides the way Joplin did this year, we’ll be in good shape.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2023, 11:31:45 PM »
Oso was starting to get a few minutes his freshman year--and I thought his play should have earned him more--but then he got injured. And this was Keeyan's second year in the program already; yes, first non-redshirt, but I would have expected a lot more after sitting and learning for a year. I'll be stunned if he is ever a meaningful contributor at MU.

It is concerning Shaka didn’t trust him for any playing time when they certainly could have used more depth behind Oso.  Gold was their one and only option and that’s really not his game. 

Hopefully he’s just an example that bigs usually take time in developing and it varies when they’re ready to contribute. Next year is make or break for him at MU if he’s back. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2023, 11:34:44 PM »
While frustrating at times, I think Joplin had a really good season. He showed a willingness to try and develop his game in the post and get different looks. While it’s still a work in progress, I think it’ll continue to get better. Shaka gave him a pretty long leash this year, so hopefully the patience pays off. If our guys continue to make strides the way Joplin did this year, we’ll be in good shape.

He was so good at MSG.
VIOLENCE!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2023, 11:37:34 PM »
End of the day it was a piss poor game plan ala Crean that didn’t know how to find dribble penetration into the paint. That’s on the coaches.

It's ultimately up to the guys to be able to dribble and/or not fall down when they get there.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2023, 11:39:12 PM »
Interesting thread with a lot of speculation.  End of the day it was a piss poor game plan ala Crean that didn’t know how to find dribble penetration into the paint. That’s on the coaches.

Gameplan wasn't bad. At all.

Marquette got next to nothing from the guy they are used to producing everything and had the game tied with a few minutes left.

Our execution was there basically all year...until today.

Experience is key. It is tough to just win without experience.  Add this to the experience column and use it moving forward. Every championship team has a story...maybe this is part of our future champion story.
VIOLENCE!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2023, 11:57:40 PM »
Gameplan wasn't bad. At all.

Marquette got next to nothing from the guy they are used to producing everything and had the game tied with a few minutes left.

Our execution was there basically all year...until today.

Experience is key. It is tough to just win without experience.  Add this to the experience column and use it moving forward. Every championship team has a story...maybe this is part of our future champion story.

This game was lost in the first 10 minutes as there was no plan to counteract the dribble penetration defense.  MU was down 18-8 in the first ten minutes. Game over. That’s on the game plan.

I know the script here is to jump on the criticizer but I call them as I see them. The game plan was predictable as it was the standard Izzo game plan. MU saw it before and I called that out. The result was a piss poor game plan against the only B1G team left standing. Shaka needs some self reflection on roster composition and situationals. Great year and strategy but…

MU went from Point A to B. Those who know ball predicted a double digit win. Can we get to Point C?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2023, 12:09:20 AM »
Shaka needs some self reflection on roster composition and situationals. Great year and strategy but…

MU went from Point A to B. Those who know ball predicted a double digit win. Can we get to Point C?

I'm not fully there with you on the gameplan, because I also saw a team come out and play super tight and lose their PG after 5 minutes to two silly fouls. I think there's a human element here that we can't ignore.

That said, I have been thinking about the roster composition. I know he wants to switch and fly around but as I look at this tournament, you gotta add some beef. Gotta get some of your misses and most of theirs.

While Jop and Kam are good shooters I don't think you can't quite count on either consistently yet. Need another guy who can knock it down.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2023, 12:31:08 AM »
This game was lost in the first 10 minutes as there was no plan to counteract the dribble penetration defense.  MU was down 18-8 in the first ten minutes. Game over. That’s on the game plan.

The game was over at 18-8 10 minutes in? Oso and Tyler sat for almost half of the first half and we were down 5. Made adjustments and went up early in the 2nd half. Then we had 7 straight chances to expand the lead and turned it over 6 times and missed a shot. Fumbling the ball, stepping out of bounds and making poor passes had zero to do with the game plan or roster construction.

I respect you “calling ‘‘em like you see ‘em” but you’ve been skeptical (and wrong) about this team and it’s coach most of the year.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2023, 12:50:34 AM »

I know the script here is to jump on the criticizer but I call them as I see them. The game plan was predictable as it was the standard Izzo game plan. MU saw it before and I called that out. The result was a piss poor game plan against the only B1G team left standing. Shaka needs some self reflection on roster composition and situationals. Great year and strategy but…

Marquette had multiple leads in the 2nd half lol.

Gameplan was just fine.  If they got anything from their player of the year they win easy.

Credit to Tyler for owning it and not making excuses but I have to believe his thumb played a major role in his play the past 2 games.  Probably frustrating for him controlling a whole season and then feeling unlike himself.
VIOLENCE!

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2023, 12:52:05 AM »
Keeping Nevada Smith should be a priority

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2023, 12:55:01 AM »
I know Shaka is anti-portal, but at a certain point to get from great you’re gonna need to pick up one of those guys. Not saying this year because of the scholarship crunch.

Obviously Shaka has shown he can develop his own guys, and that’s great. But you gotta play the game to win the whole thing.

My one big worry about Shaka is he’s gonna get left behind because he’ll be stubborn with transfers, even if they’re a great fit.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2023, 01:02:15 AM »
The game was over at 18-8 10 minutes in? Oso and Tyler sat for almost half of the first half and we were down 5. Made adjustments and went up early in the 2nd half. Then we had 7 straight chances to expand the lead and turned it over 6 times and missed a shot. Fumbling the ball, stepping out of bounds and making poor passes had zero to do with the game plan or roster construction.

I respect you “calling ‘‘em like you see ‘em” but you’ve been skeptical (and wrong) about this team and it’s coach most of the year.

Totally agree. Ridiculous to say the game is over 7-8 minutes in.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2023, 01:14:08 AM »
All I can say is Shaka and the team need to prepare for a slightly longer season next year.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2023, 03:52:04 AM »
Need to recruit the core guys back and find soft landings for Ellis and Itejere. Creates room for one transfer that needs to be a big
Absolutely. A big that can block shots and can stop drives to basket
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2023, 04:02:01 AM »

I agree with this analysis. The sequence of turnovers after we got up in the second half…can’t put that on the coaches.

I do feel we may need to reconsider the NO midrange philosophy some, however. I feel a guy like Joplin could benefit from having a midrange green light. OMax too.

This team and coaching staff turned in one of MU’s best seasons in history. Disappointing finish, but a massively successful season and Year 2 Shaka.