[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Offseason thoughts  (Read 7283 times)

Mu8891

• All American
Re: Offseason thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2023, 08:28:08 PM »
I don’t see how - or really why -
Keeyan and Ellis would stay.  If everyone else is back ( or almost everyone) they will never play.

And … do we really think S. Jones can cut it in the BE at 5’ 8” ?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2023, 08:28:54 PM »
I think one person that could possibly transfer that hasn’t really been discussed is Joplin.

He can probably be a starter on a lot of teams, but if everyone stays, will more than likely be coming off the bench again next season.

Not for Joplin, but every year is a surprise didn't see coming.  No one knows and can speculate all they want. 

Heck, Soriano from SJU said he will stay if Anderson stays.  Not, maybe he stays with Pitino.  What if he calls Shaka and says he would like to come to MU?  That's just an example.  There could be many examples of this behind the scenes no one is aware of, including current MU players. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 08:29:06 PM »
Keeyan and Ellis would stay.  If everyone else is back ( or almost everyone) they will never play.

I thought Ellis was supposed to get minutes but was hurt?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »
Could very well be that it's an either/or for him and Omax. Jop could be a starting 4 and showed well defensively down the stretch, but he's not nearly the athlete Omax is
But his performance today showed why he shouldn't start over OMax.    But yes, an either/or has occurred to me. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2023, 08:30:25 PM »

all comes down to developing a jumpshot.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 08:31:13 PM »
We need to rebound better and get some of the guys to develop mid range jumpers.

Omax I think made his first mid range jumper in this game, has to learn that mid range shot as he gets stuck driving to the hoop with nowhere to go.  I know Shaka does not love the mid range game, but Walker killed them today with that shot.  Oso would be unstoppable if he could do that. Hope he works on that.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 08:35:08 PM »
all comes down to developing a jumpshot.

Sean played most of the year like he was still in high school, driving to the hoop to throw up a ridiculous shot because guarding the rim where bigger players. Has lots to learn to play next year with Norman coming in.  Has to become a better outside shooter, passed up tons of shots

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 08:37:39 PM »

Sean played most of the year like he was still in high school, driving to the hoop to throw up a ridiculous shot because guarding the rim where bigger players. Has lots to learn to play next year with Norman coming in.  Has to become a better outside shooter, passed up tons of shots

He’s got a lot of improving to do if Norman is as good as advertised.  He really struggled to do anything after a pretty good start. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 08:39:51 PM »

so because you haven’t seen Ellis, he never is gonna play? He loves Shaka….he loves this team.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 08:40:45 PM »
My biggest concern is Memphis, Arkansas, etc. offering a ton of $ to Kam.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2023, 08:41:35 PM »

I think we’re overestimating how much money is being spent on transfers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2023, 08:41:48 PM »

The same Memphis team that didn't recruit him?

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2023, 08:41:54 PM »

You obviously didn’t see Nowell play today.  Maybe we give Sean a chance to improve after his freshman year?

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2023, 08:43:37 PM »
Omax I think made his first mid range jumper in this game, has to learn that mid range shot as he gets stuck driving to the hoop with nowhere to go.  I know Shaka does not love the mid range game, but Walker killed them today with that shot.  Oso would be unstoppable if he could do that. Hope he works on that.

Kam would be the same with that midrange shot.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2023, 08:45:28 PM »
General question about this topic, the off-season.

Based on how the players improved from last year to this year, how the coaches improved what they did from last year to this year, why wouldn’t you expect improvement across the board?

I simply don’t understand how anyone thinks the players and team won’t be even better in ‘23-24
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2023, 08:45:44 PM »
I firmly believe the development of Ross is extremely important to MU this offseason. You can see dude type traits there to be molded together.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2023, 08:51:50 PM »
I have a boy?    Oh, you mean Keeyan. Perhaps.
That one seems obvious. Two years in and he can barely get walk on minutes. I think a transfer to a much lower level of competition is best for all parties.

I have a number of other players in mind, too, for various reasons, like playing time, NIL and foreign-born players, and the quality of the incoming freshmen.    We'll see.

Hope neither OMax not Gold move on, but could see it with OMax deciding to get a payday. Would suck, replacing his energy would be a challenge.

Playing time/incoming freshmen: I think from previous posts we agree on who that would be.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2023, 08:52:03 PM »
Ross needs a mid range game as well, but a bigger weakness in his game is he has no right hand.  The whole team will improve just like last year as they have enough video to go over with each player to go over there strengths and weaknesses

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2023, 08:53:56 PM »
He should also buy a rotary phone and a typewriter.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2023, 08:56:29 PM »
They’re going to load up on 5* players. I’d be shocked of they are looking seriously at Kam. Do we just assume this cause he’s from Memphis? 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2023, 08:58:28 PM »
They’re going to load up on 5* players. I’d be shocked of they are looking seriously at Kam. Do we just assume this cause he’s from Memphis?

Memphis is in a horrible conference, why move down?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2023, 09:00:34 PM »
That one seems obvious. Two years in and he can barely get walk on minutes. I think a transfer to a much lower level of competition is best for all parties.

Hope neither OMax not Gold move on, but could see it with OMax deciding to get a payday. Would suck, replacing his energy would be a challenge.

Playing time/incoming freshmen: I think from previous posts we agree on who that would be.

OMax has so much work needed on everything to be even in shouting range of being paid. He’s an inconsistent shooter, not a good rebounder, never blocks a shot, handle is ok.  And defensively, he has work to do. Did anyone notice the opening possession where he nearly fell to the floor as his guy shook him to get a bucket?  That would be a regular occurrence at next level. 

He’s a nice college player but a long way to go.  He’s foolish if he leaves for pay. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2023, 09:04:53 PM »
Memphis is in a horrible conference, why move down?

Ab$olutely no rea$on what$over

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2023, 09:05:06 PM »
OMax has so much work needed on everything to be even in shouting range of being paid. He’s an inconsistent shooter, not a good rebounder, never blocks a shot, handle is ok.  And defensively, he has work to do. Did anyone notice the opening possession where he nearly fell to the floor as his guy shook him to get a bucket?  That would be a regular occurrence at next level. 

He’s a nice college player but a long way to go.  He’s foolish if he leaves for pay.
Yet he was our best player today

panda

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2023, 09:06:58 PM »
He should also buy a rotary phone and a typewriter.

He doesn’t need a midrange game, but he greatly needs to improve his play in the halfcourt. He’s electric in trans and in broken play setting, but his lack of body control makes it difficult for him to break off a defender 1 on 1 at a stand still.