'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where is the leadership?  (Read 11599 times)

DaCoach

• Team Captain
Where is the leadership?
« on: December 13, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »
Last year we were blessed with a player with incredible leadership skills. Whatever the game or whatever the circumstances, every MU fan knew that Hayward was the man. This year it was always assumed that role would go to Butler. However, it appears to me that Jimmy has just not taken over that role. Now that's not a slap in the face of JB, it's merely the perception I have based upon his role this year.

Leadership is not something most people are born with. Failure to have that quality doesn't make one a lesser human being. However, we all became so used to Zar last year and his role that perhaps we underappreciated what he meant to the team. Last year Zar and Butler reminded me of the Jordan-Pippen duo. Scotty was a great sidekick but Jordan was the guy who put the team on his back whenever it was needed. After Michael left, Pippen was never able to assume a good leadership role on the teams he played for. That may be the reality with Butler this year. Great team mate and excellent player, but not a dynamic leader that this young team needs.
Players win awards but teams win championships

GGGG

• All American
Re: Where is the leadership?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
Well leadership is in part on court performance and JFB isn't as talented a bball player as Zar.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »
From shooting to leadership...we were SPOILED ROTTEN last year...and it is a huge wake-up call for everyone this  year.

Not a slap in the face to anyone (player or coach); it's a fact.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Spoiled rotten last year and the four years before. You know who the go-to PG was, or the go-to glue-guys. We don't have that this year. I wouldn't say the team is young because they have enough juniors sprinkled in there, but, they are inexperienced playing D-1 ball together.

Biggest thing is point guard. We don't have a leader at the PG position...yet. I think we will eventually. Reggie Smith and Vander Blue were the starting guards against UW. Forget the whole rebounding thing. You know what you are getting from UW. That's their calling card...rebounding, defense, and an offense that lulls you to sleep. That being said, there was no leadership out there for MU.

I think the crowd at the game - except for the students - sucked. It's like the crowd never expected them to win to matter what MU did so they held back. The roof should have come off for Butler's three but it didn't. All it did was finally get the lower deck alums to get up. Nobody on MU took charge all game and that lack of leadership is what needs to be found in the next three weeks before the Big East opens up.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »
One other thing - based on what we've seen, I think we have seen how valuable Acker and Cubillon were to the team last year.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
I see your point, but I will say that just because he doesn't score 20ppg and grab 8rbg doesn't mean he is not a good leader.  Flat out, he just isn't as talented as Zar (NBA 1st rounder), but will lead in practice by working the hardest, being the most vocal, and spending the most time in the weight room/shooting on his own/watching film.  

In continuation of that point, last year Acker and Cubillan weren't necessarily stuffing the stat sheet, but it was clear that they were "leaders" on the team.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
The best leadership in the world isn't going to help MU's inability to hit outside shots. If DJO was hitting 40% of his 3s and MU had wins over Gonzaga and Wisconsin to show for it, no one would be questioning the leadership on this team. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that people would be praising the leadership on the team despite the fact that it'd be the same as it is now.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »
Right you are, 'stache.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Good points stache.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:58:17 PM »
Thanks.

Winning cures all.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »

Winning cures all.

Not really. It often masks mistakes. We beat UWM but it certainly didn't cure our rebounding problems.
Players win awards but teams win championships

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
I think he means for the fans, not for the team.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »
Zar's leadership is missed for sure, but what I also miss are the "tandem teams". That is, the guys who know each other inside and out on the court and are so well meshed when playing. The Three Amigos, particularly McNeal-James. Cubi-Acker. Hayward-Butler. There are no such obvious pairs this year yet, and this speaks to Buzz's concern the team won't "gel" this year, lack of identity, etc. I chalk it up to youth and the fact this is the first year that most of the guys have played together. I was hoping Butler-DJO would be the superstar tandem team this year but DJO can't seem to show up for the game yet. Hopefully that changes.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
One of the major elements missing from this year's squad is senior leadership. And, that void lays squarely in the tanning bed of the douche in Bloomington.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mug644

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Zar's leadership is missed for sure, but what I also miss are the "tandem teams". That is, the guys who know each other inside and out on the court and are so well meshed when playing. The Three Amigos, particularly McNeal-James. Cubi-Acker. Hayward-Butler. There are no such obvious pairs this year yet, and this speaks to Buzz's concern the team won't "gel" this year, lack of identity, etc. I chalk it up to youth and the fact this is the first year that most of the guys have played together. I was hoping Butler-DJO would be the superstar tandem team this year but DJO can't seem to show up for the game yet. Hopefully that changes.

The tandem that does seem to be coming along is Cadougan-Gardner, which really bodes well for the future, as the they get more used to playing together and can be out on the floor for longer periods. If Cadougan develops a jump shot to go with his drive and dish, and Gardner can step out a bit, they will be a tough duo.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
One of the major elements missing from this year's squad is senior leadership. And, that void lays squarely in the tanning bed of the douche in Bloomington.

Crean is responsible for every bad thing that has happened these last two and a half seasons, isn't he?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 10:55:33 PM »
Why stop at 2 1/2 seasons? 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 10:22:40 AM »
L Last year Zar and Butler reminded me of the Jordan-Pippen duo. Scotty was a great sidekick but Jordan was the guy who put the team on his back whenever it was needed. After Michael left, Pippen was never able to assume a good leadership role on the teams he played for.

Insane.  We won 55 games the year Jodan was out. Pippen put up 21, 9 and 6 during that time.  We were one crappy foul call from going to the conference finals.  You want someone who sets the tone?  How about when pippen changed the nicks series by slamming it in Ewing's face with one of the greatest dunks of all time and then flexed at him.

What about post Bulls?  After leaving the Bulls he was the best player on a portland team that was 1 game from getting to the finals in 2000.

He might not have been on Jordan's level (top 5 all time leaders/killers in any sport ever) but to say he wasn't a good leader is insane.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
Wasn't that the same knicks series where he refused to enter the game because the final play was drawn up for kukoc?  Which he hit???

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »
Wasn't that the same knicks series where he refused to enter the game because the final play was drawn up for kukoc?  Which he hit???

One selfish moment in a completely selfish career.  He was the leader of that team and wanted the ball (another leadership trait).  He handled it like a moron and i'm sure he regrets it to this day.  I'm sure you are perfect to.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
I love JB but he is a wing man, not a flight leader.  Nothing wrong with that, either.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »
I love JB but he is a wing man, not a flight leader.  Nothing wrong with that, either.

+1

I love Jimmy Butler as role player extraordinaire but he just doesn't seem to have that "Give me the damn ball" mentality that a #1 option typically has. There are crucial points in games where MU has possessions where he doesn't even touch the ball. That's obviously not all on him, but he just isn't the type of player to go get the ball so he can make something happen for his team. As the UConn and StJ games last season proved, he's obviously not scared of having the ball in big moments, but his game is such that someone needs to give him the ball because he's not going to demand it. That being said, I hope he proves me wrong and takes over in some crunch-time situations.

Since the thread is analogy-heavy, I'd equate it to a WR in football who has been a solid #2 for a while and is then expected to become "the man" after the #1 departs. With a majority of the attention now on him, it can take a while to adjust and some players just don't have it in them.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 11:43:50 AM »

did warthog driver steal your password??

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
Rawdog...my point is that Pip struggled as a leader. At times he was great but at times he wasn't.

And don't drop the "I'm sure you are perfect" line. Lame.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »

When did Buzz go tanning in Bloomington?  And why are you calling him a douche?

This year we have three seniors--and Buzz is responsible for recruiting all three.  Butler and Buycks were 100% Buzz recruits. Fulce was recruited by Buzz when he was Crean's assistant.  If those three players lack leadership skills, its because they either didn't have them when they were recruited, or the skills haven't been developed after they arrived.  

We all know that if Butler or Buycks or Fulce displayed anything close to the leadership ability of a Tony Miller, Brian Wardle, Travis Diener or Lazar Hayward, you'd give Buzz 100% of the credit.  So stop trying to pass the blame.