Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More likely to win a National Title - UW's system or MU's system  (Read 12503 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: More likely to win a National Title - UW's system or MU's system
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »
Well by your logic, we had a FF in 1977.  We put the restrictions on Bo's term for a reason, not an arbitrary time like UW fans do, cause it coincides with their rise.

Point to a time in that frame where we were a 2-3 seed that got knocked out by a lower seed?  I honestly don't think its making excuses to point out that UW has played a bunch of double digit seeds, and years where they didn't, they didnt have results.

Yes...I believe last year, when they beat FSU in the first round, was the first time Bo beat a team seeded higher than them in the tournament.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
Well by your logic, we had a FF in 1977.  We put the restrictions on Bo's term for a reason, not an arbitrary time like UW fans do, cause it coincides with their rise.

Point to a time in that frame where we were a 2-3 seed that got knocked out by a lower seed?  I honestly don't think its making excuses to point out that UW has played a bunch of double digit seeds, and years where they didn't, they didnt have results.

I think I'm missing the value or lack there of in losing to higher seeds.  Marquette lost to higher seeds in 2006 & 2007 too??  I just look at results and where you finish in the tournament.  I don't look down upon taking care of business and winning games you're supposed to.  That's why you play for the good seeds.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »
I think I'm missing the value or lack there of in losing to higher seeds.  Marquette lost to higher seeds in 2006 & 2007 too??  I just look at results and where you finish in the tournament.  I don't look down upon taking care of business and winning games you're supposed to.  That's why you play for the good seeds.

I smell a rodent....

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
Ha absolutely not, but I could understand why one might think that.  I just think that Wisconsin is a really good tournament team and that in our recent history we have performed poorly.  I don't like sticking up for Wisconsin, but since Bo Ryan started at Wisc they have 11 tournament wins, Marquetet has 6 (4 which came in one year).  In that time frame we also have 3 losses to higher seeds notably a 5-12 upset.  I'm not happy about it, but i'm jealous of Wisconsin's tournament consistency and success. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
It all boils down to this:

Bo=good
Buzz=bad

UW=good
MU=bad

the swing=good
MU=bad

scoring in the 40's=good
scoring in the 70s=bad

at least, that's what I've been told....

LON

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 05:06:25 PM »
It all boils down to this:

Bo=good
Buzz=bad

UW=good
MU=bad

the swing=good
MU=bad

scoring in the 40's=good
scoring in the 70s=bad

at least, that's what I've been told....

You forgot:  Conference Championships >>>>>>> Deep tourney runs

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
but when it comes down to it i'd take their results over ours.

I wouldn't.  Final Four trumps all that other stuff in my opinion.  I wouldn't trade a FF experience for 2 Sweet 16s and an Elite 8.  It's just an entirely different level of awesomeness.

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
The likelihood of either school winning a title is minimal at best.  That being said, being in the tourney for 10 straight years is something that not many schools can boast, not a UW fan but have to respect that.  We have been to two sweet sixteens in the last 32 years since the 77 title, not exactly stellar.  Buzz has us pointed in the right direction (that is still being relevant in the national spotlight and fighting for a 5th straight invite, something that has not been done since the late 70's).  Ride out this year and next and watch out in 2012.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »
Don't know who's more likely to win a title, but what Bo Ryan is doing without Leuer is very impressive.  Can't stand them, but give credit where it's due...Bo can coach.

And they're destroying MSU at half...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:42 PM »
We have been to two sweet sixteens in the last 32 years since the 77 title, not exactly stellar. 

This does not detract from your main point, but Raymonds also took the 78-79 Warriors to the Sweet 16 losing to the DePaul F4 team--so that was 3 since Al.  Hank often gets forgotten in his head coaching role--and that team finished ranked 10th.  I think there is a strong case to be made that he was #2 to Al, starting with his body of work as an assistant and his .716% winning record as a head coach.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
Like him or hate him, Bo is a great coach who is smart enough to play a style that is perfect for that conference. His teams don't beat themselves and get the most of their ability until they run into quick, athletic teams in the tournament. That said, I think Buzz has done every bit as good a job of coaching this year as Bo has.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:46 PM »
Like him or hate him, Bo is a great coach who is smart enough to play a style that is perfect for that conference. His teams don't beat themselves and get the most of their ability until they run into quick, athletic teams in the tournament. That said, I think Buzz has done every bit as good a job of coaching this year as Bo has.

If MU had won a few of the games they choked away, I'd agree with you.

I really thought the loss of Leuer would derail UW, but somehow Bo got the rest of the team to step it up and they are having a great season and it must be very satisfying for their fans. 

thebadge10

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:55 PM »
Ok boys let's clear up a few things:
Bo does have an elite camp. When Davidson beat us Trevon sprained his ankle late in the first and never returned. The game was tied at half. JBO had to defend their point (Richards) game is much different if TH is healthy! I
would take Josh Gasser over Newbill any day of the week!  Also shouldn't you guys figure out a way to get past the first weekend of the tourney before talking about final4s?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
Bo does have an elite camp. When Davidson beat us Trevon sprained his ankle late in the first and never returned. The game was tied at half. JBO had to defend their point (Richards) game is much different if TH is healthy! I
would take Josh Gasser over Newbill any day of the week!  Also shouldn't you guys figure out a way to get past the first weekend of the tourney before talking about final4s?

Vander Blue sends his love

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 01:10:50 AM »
I think MU has a better shot to win a National Title under Buzz than UW does under BO. Bo's system will only take them so far, no National Title in the Rodents future under Bo. I would bet money on this. I will eat crow if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 07:27:29 AM »

If McNeal isn't hurt we beat Michigan St.

If James isn't hurt who knows what happens last year (I smell elite eight)

If McNeal isn't hurt again who knows against Stanford

Yup.. we can all cry about injuries.

Josh Gasser vs. DJ Newbill?  What about Vander... or Jamail?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 08:57:24 AM »

Of course you'd take Gasser over Newbill.  I'm not sure if you saw, Newbill scored 64 sometime last week.  Meanwhile, the entire Badgers team scores about 60 a game on a good night.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »
If McNeal isn't hurt we beat Michigan St.

If James isn't hurt who knows what happens last year (I smell elite eight)

If McNeal isn't hurt again who knows against Stanford

Yup.. we can all cry about injuries.

Josh Gasser vs. DJ Newbill?  What about Vander... or Jamail?

Didn't McNeal drop like 30 against Stanford?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »
Also shouldn't you guys figure out a way to get past the first weekend of the tourney before talking about final4s?

Not necessarily, and I think that's the point here.  Bo has done a great job devising a system to get to the second weekend, by beating bubble teams and overachieving mid majors.  However while UW has a better chance of lasting past the second round than most, they have a worse chance of winning the title.  The system just cannot beat long, athletic, dynamic offense as it is constituted.  Of course they have and will win some of those games, but overall Bo-ball is contingent upon selling your soul for consistency.

Buzz's system is contingent on getting classes of players that would be considered by most to be over MU's head, and getting hot at the right time, etc.  This makes it less likely to get to the sweet 16 every year, because when things don't come together, the system isn't devised to cover for other team inadequacies.  But that system has a much higher ceiling than Bo's.

LON

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
Not necessarily, and I think that's the point here.  Bo has done a great job devising a system to get to the second weekend, by beating bubble teams and overachieving mid majors.  However while UW has a better chance of lasting past the second round than most, they have a worse chance of winning the title.  The system just cannot beat long, athletic, dynamic offense as it is constituted.  Of course they have and will win some of those games, but overall Bo-ball is contingent upon selling your soul for consistency.

Buzz's system is contingent on getting classes of players that would be considered by most to be over MU's head, and getting hot at the right time, etc.  This makes it less likely to get to the sweet 16 every year, because when things don't come together, the system isn't devised to cover for other team inadequacies.  But that system has a much higher ceiling than Bo's.

Not to mention it's about 1,000 times more fun to watch (and play in).

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
I'll make 3 points.

1. Injuries happen, its a part of the game.

2. Coaches recruit the kids they recruit because they believe those are the kids that will make them ultimately successful. As much as I would love to have a Butch, Stiemsma Evan Anderson, they don't fit what we do here. You really want to see those guys run ball screen motion with an emphasis on slipping the screen for a jump shot? No. Bo has those players in to rebound, play post D and be successful on one end of the floor (Butch was an offensive weapon, I understand).

3. Take our final four squad and put them in the swing offense. There is NO CHANCE we get out of the second round vs. Mizzou.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
brave dance like wind and breath with fire have empty belly. brave with steady hand and sure step eat well.

This is more annoying than Warthog's haiku phase.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 09:29:27 AM »

I really like Josh Gasser as a player and think he'll do well at Wisconsin.

However, your comment about liking Josh over D.J. Newbill makes one wonder. Have you ever seen Newbill play in person? If so, why do you like Gasser better than Newbill?

I've seen both. Like both a lot. Not sure I would take Gasser over Newbill, at least at this point, "any day of the week."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
I really like Josh Gasser as a player and think he'll do well at Wisconsin.

However, your comment about liking Josh over D.J. Newbill makes one wonder. Have you ever seen Newbill play in person? If so, why do you like Gasser better than Newbill?

I've seen both. Like both a lot. Not sure I would take Gasser over Newbill, at least at this point, "any day of the week."

apparently the fact that theVag10 picks up Bo's paper in the morning for him and carries his suitcase for him on the road qualifies him in all regards as far as recruiting goes.

feedback