collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253315 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #1450 on: March 09, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »
I'm mad the Bears didn't take that Osweiler offer from the Texans, that was a steal by the Browns.

A great move by Cleveland. The amount of high picks they have in the '17 and '18 drafts is insane. You should know that creative thinking doesn't exist in the Bears front office.

Brutal day so far for the Bears. Missed on Gilmore and Bouye. I think Pace was banking on getting Gilmore.

brandx

« Reply #1451 on: March 09, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
What does it say about the Bears, that as a Bears fan I would have loved to see Tyrod Taylor playing for Chicago next year.

See. Gb and Bears fans CAN agree. I, too, would have loved to see Tyrod Taylor playing for the Bears next year. I loved it as long as Cutler was QB and I think I will have the same "fondness" for Glennon.

brandx

« Reply #1452 on: March 09, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Cleveland has over $100M in cap space. Totally worth taking a flyer on Osweiler to get more picks. Word is that they'll try to move him but I'm not sure there are any takers.

They have to spend the money. They got a 2nd rounder for a 4th and 6th just for taking Osweiler. Brock can run a last place offense as well as anyone.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: March 09, 2017, 04:03:11 PM »
Cleveland has over $100M in cap space. Totally worth taking a flyer on Osweiler to get more picks. Word is that they'll try to move him but I'm not sure there are any takers.

Trading cap space (by taking on bad contracts) in exchange for draft assets. Que NBA.

As an aside, this is the #2 reason the NFL's comp system sucks - after the fact that the most violent sport we have throws injured players on the nonguaranteed contract, uncompensated trash heap when its done with them.  That minor detail aside, the NBA's and MLB's "deal with the bad contracts you make" lend themselves to much more fun wheeling and dealing and armchair GM-ing.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1454 on: March 09, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »
A great move by Cleveland. The amount of high picks they have in the '17 and '18 drafts is insane. You should know that creative thinking doesn't exist in the Bears front office.

Brutal day so far for the Bears. Missed on Gilmore and Bouye. I think Pace was banking on getting Gilmore.

Also missed out on Wagner and let Alshon walk for basically what they could have paid him by using the franchise tag. Team's new #1 WR has played 4 games in 2 seasons and their other top WR was a QB 2 years ago. Yeesh...

brandx

« Reply #1455 on: March 09, 2017, 04:09:13 PM »
Also missed out on Wagner and let Alshon walk for basically what they could have paid him by using the franchise tag. Team's new #1 WR has played 4 games in 2 seasons and their other top WR was a QB 2 years ago. Yeesh...

Yeah, yeah. :D

But now they have a great QB, so everything is better.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »
They have to spend the money. They got a 2nd rounder for a 4th and 6th just for taking Osweiler. Brock can run a last place offense as well as anyone.

NFL network claiming the Browns are gonna cut him.  Also saying no one really wants Romo.....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1457 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »

Kevin White is garbage. Said it two years ago when he got drafted and will keep saying it until otherwise disproven.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1458 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:49 PM »
Trading cap space (by taking on bad contracts) in exchange for draft assets. Que NBA.

As an aside, this is the #2 reason the NFL's comp system sucks - after the fact that the most violent sport we have throws injured players on the nonguaranteed contract, uncompensated trash heap when its done with them.  That minor detail aside, the NBA's and MLB's "deal with the bad contracts you make" lend themselves to much more fun wheeling and dealing and armchair GM-ing.

You do realize that if the contracts were guaranteed, that the value of the contracts would decrease considerably.  That's why there is always a total contract value, but the "guaranteed money" is the most important. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: March 09, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »

Not sure why everyone is big on Alshon.  He's hurt half the time and disinterested most of the other half.  Sure he'll have a decent game or two, but IMO not worth an investment.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1460 on: March 09, 2017, 10:11:31 PM »

You do realize that if the contracts were guaranteed, that the value of the contracts would decrease considerably.  That's why there is always a total contract value, but the "guaranteed money" is the most important.

Sure, but its not like the players would receive less money in the aggregate. That gets decided by salary floors, etc. So I think the ability to overreport the nonguaranteed money creates the false impression that everyone is making more money than they actually are.  That both disproportionately hurts the guys at the bottom of the roster where none of the $$ is guaranteed and puts too much of the onus for football's violence on the labor vs the capital, imho.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1461 on: March 10, 2017, 05:43:53 PM »
Ted getting frisky by signing Marcellus Bennett.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1462 on: March 10, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »

Interesting switch at TE.  Want to know the relative contracts.  Bennett is big time.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1463 on: March 10, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »

*Martellus

Looks like the signed Bennett mini helmet I have will be going into storage.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1464 on: March 10, 2017, 06:40:32 PM »
I don't know if going from Cook to Bennett is an upgrade.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1465 on: March 10, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
I don't know if going from Cook to Bennett is an upgrade.

You also thought Cook was going to be a negative for the Packers and he was probably the most important offensive weapon outside of Rodgers last year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: March 10, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
You also thought Cook was going to be a negative for the Packers and he was probably the most important offensive weapon outside of Rodgers last year.

In the regular season last year, Cook was an adequate TE, missed six games due to injury. If you said in the playoffs, then yes, but he was basically an average NFL starter for the 2016 campaign, and his stats certainly show that.

I'm very interested and curious how he'll socially fit into Green Bay. He's an interesting dude to say the least. We'll see what kind of coin he got, but my gut instinct when I saw Bennett to GB was bad fit.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1467 on: March 10, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
In the regular season last year, Cook was an adequate TE, missed six games due to injury. If you said in the playoffs, then yes, but he was basically an average NFL starter for the 2016 campaign, and his stats certainly show that.

I'm very interested and curious how he'll socially fit into Green Bay. He's an interesting dude to say the least. We'll see what kind of coin he got, but my gut instinct when I saw Bennett to GB was bad fit.

In my opinion it was far more than the stats.  Including the Playoffs, the Packers were 10-3 when Cook played and 2-4 when he did not play.  He was the one Packer who could run down the seam and open up the middle of the field.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: March 10, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
In my opinion it was far more than the stats.  Including the Playoffs, the Packers were 10-3 when Cook played and 2-4 when he did not play.  He was the one Packer who could run down the seam and open up the middle of the field.

Which Bennett can do as well.

But unless he plays cornerback, I am not sure it matters.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1469 on: March 10, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »

Agreed and agreed.  Need to address CBs big time and pass rush a bit.

brandx

« Reply #1470 on: March 10, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »

Interesting how Belichick has no problem going out and signing a top CB. They need a WR and bill pulls the trigger on that one too.

What Ted did last year was criminal. GB had the worst set of cBs in the entire NFL - not even one guy who was close to average. And Ted sat on his hands and threw away another season. Even an average defense would have gotten them to more SBs.

If TT thinks they can win with what they have, he is clueless. And drafting a corner isn't gonna fix the problem. They needed to sign a veteran.

wadesworld

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: March 10, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
Interesting how Belichick has no problem going out and signing a top CB. They need a WR and bill pulls the trigger on that one too.

What Ted did last year was criminal. GB had the worst set of cBs in the entire NFL - not even one guy who was close to average. And Ted sat on his hands and threw away another season. Even an average defense would have gotten them to more SBs.

If TT thinks they can win with what they have, he is clueless. And drafting a corner isn't gonna fix the problem. They needed to sign a veteran.

Going into last season the DBs looked like they were going to be the strength of the defense by a wide margin. Losing your top 3 corners for significant time will take a solid group and make them bad. Not much you can do in the middle of the season to fix it. There was nothing criminal about it unless someone told him what the future was.

About 30 teams would take Ted in a heartbeat over what they have.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1473 on: March 10, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
I'm surprised the Pack didn't go after Logan Ryan or Prince Amukamara, especially Prince. The deal he signed with the Bears was a great below market deal, with zero risk.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1474 on: March 10, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
No one cares about Black Unicorn. Fix the effing secondary Ted.

feedback