collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253253 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #1425 on: March 02, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »
Apparently the Pats aren't going to trade Garoppolo (although, I personally believe that's a bluff and I'm not alone on that) which would mean that Mike Glennon, Colin Kaepernick and possibly Tyrod Taylor would be the best UFA QBs available and none of the QBs in the Draft appear to be franchise QBs.

The Bears are in desperate need of a QB but there's really no one out there who appears to be the answer. This begs the question: Why not wait? Re-sign Hoyer, draft a QB in Round 4 or 5 and sign a young-ish FA who needs a fresh start and would do so for relatively cheap. Guys like Geno Smith, EJ Manuel or Ryan Nassib are all out there. Yes, it's highly unlikely that any of those guys will be the long-term answer or even a quality NFL starter, but it's better than over-reaching on a draft pick or giving Mike Glennon $30 mill guaranteed. Next year's QB draft class should be very strong with Darnold, Falk, Rudolph, Browning, Rosen, etc. Play Hoyer or the young cast-off, fill other positions of need in the draft, go 5-11 and find your QB next offseason either in the draft or by signing FA-to-be Jimmy Garoppolo. Fox has a 4-year deal. Let him relax and coach next season without the unrealistic expectations of making the playoffs with no QB and no secondary.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:41:56 AM by MerrittsMustache »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1426 on: March 02, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
Apparently the Pats aren't going to trade Garoppolo (although, I personally believe that's a bluff and I'm not alone on that) which would mean that Mike Glennon, Colin Kaepernick and possibly Tyrod Taylor would be the best UFA QBs available and none of the QBs in the Draft appear to be franchise QBs.

The Bears are in desperate need of a QB but there's really no one out there who appears to be the answer. This begs the question: Why not wait? Re-sign Hoyer, draft a QB in Round 4 or 5 and sign a young-ish FA who needs a fresh start and would do so for relatively cheap. Guys like Geno Smith, EJ Manuel or Ryan Nassib are all out there. Yes, it's highly unlikely that any of those guys will be the long-term answer or even a quality NFL starter, but it's better than over-reaching on a draft pick or giving Mike Glennon $30 mill guaranteed. Next year's QB draft class should be very strong with Darnold, Falk, Rudolph, Browning, Rosen, etc. Play Hoyer or the young cast-off, fill other positions of need in the draft, go 5-11 and find your QB next offseason either in the draft or by signing FA-to-be Jimmy Garoppolo. Fox has a 4-year deal. Let him relax and coach next season without the unrealistic expectations of making the playoffs with no QB and no secondary.

Thoughts?

Mccarron is the other trendy target.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: March 02, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
I think the QB market is going to be a bit repressed this year and that teams will be a bit gun-shy (Thanks, Brock!).

I hope I'm wrong and the Bears spend oodles of cash on Mike Glennon, who is a fine Brian-Hoyer esque talent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1428 on: March 02, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
I think they are hanging onto Garoppolo because they know Brady is getting older and might need a competent back up.  He's not worth in draft picks what he is to them as an insurance policy IMO.

brandx

« Reply #1429 on: March 02, 2017, 06:41:21 PM »
I think they are hanging onto Garoppolo because they know Brady is getting older and might need a competent back up.  He's not worth in draft picks what he is to them as an insurance policy IMO.

Maybe. I think they are trying to drive up his price tag.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: March 08, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
Hoyer to sign with SF.

Bears appears to be bidding against themselves to land Mike Glennon. Sigh...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1431 on: March 08, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »
Hoyer to sign with SF.

Bears appears to be bidding against themselves to land Mike Glennon. Sigh...

I'm actually ok'ish with Glennon as a stopgap.  I'll be curious to see how much is guaranteed, however. 

It all comes down to who they draft to develop.  And I'm not one that thinks Trubisky or Watson are worth the 3rd pick. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1432 on: March 08, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »
It'll be interesting to see who signs Romo. I'd rather pay Romo to develop a quarterback than Mike effing Glennon. Especially because NO ONE on that Bears staff is capable of developing a QB.

Bears gonna Bears.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1433 on: March 08, 2017, 05:02:51 PM »
It'll be interesting to see who signs Romo. I'd rather pay Romo to develop a quarterback than Mike effing Glennon. Especially because NO ONE on that Bears staff is capable of developing a QB.

Bears gonna Bears.

I don't see why the Bears would be an option for Romo. At this point in his career, I think he is looking for a title shot. That ain't the Bears. The Broncos seem like the perfect spot.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:05:58 PM by RJax55 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1434 on: March 08, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
I wouldn't touch either of them.  Romo will be like Andrew Bogut and be out for the year at first contact, and Glennon is going to get some absurd money for absolutely nothing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1435 on: March 08, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
I don't see why the Bears would be an option for Romo. At this point in his career, I think he is looking for a title shot. That ain't the Bears. The Broncos seem like the perfect spot.

Exactly.  No way would Romo sign with the Bears.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1436 on: March 08, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »
I'm actually ok'ish with Glennon as a stopgap.  I'll be curious to see how much is guaranteed, however. 

It all comes down to who they draft to develop.  And I'm not one that thinks Trubisky or Watson are worth the 3rd pick.

See, stop thinking so logically.  The Bears dont think they need to rebuild.  They will get Glennon and think thats the key cause they are "close" and Virginia McCaskey wants to "win more".  Instead of drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, they will draft another Nathan Enderle or David Fales in the 6/7th and we will sit in purgatory.

I don't dislike Ryan Pace's work just yet, but I think the mission and mindset of the franchise is still totally broken.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1437 on: March 08, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
For the Bears, there isn't really such thing as a bad deal for Glennon for 2 or maaaaybe 3 years worth of guaranteed money. They aren't going to really compete within that timeframe anyway, so won't be looking to spend the money on other FAs. Glennon gives you a "baseline" qb type to competently keep the seat warm you develop other parts of the roster and look for the long term replacement. Worst case scenario is basically Osweiler, which given the other options, wouldn't be as bad a result for the Bears as Romo or another oft injured veteran playing in 4 games over a 3 year deal. Kaep's inability to throw and propensity to leave the pocket makes it harder to develop WRs, OL in standard protections, etc. Taylor would have been ideal, but with him off the board, giving Glennon too much for a couple years doesn't really cost you anything but money, which you didn't have anywhere better to spend anyway.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1438 on: March 08, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
What does it say about the Bears, that as a Bears fan I would have loved to see Tyrod Taylor playing for Chicago next year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1439 on: March 08, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »
See, stop thinking so logically.  The Bears dont think they need to rebuild.  They will get Glennon and think thats the key cause they are "close" and Virginia McCaskey wants to "win more".  Instead of drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, they will draft another Nathan Enderle or David Fales in the 6/7th and we will sit in purgatory.

I don't dislike Ryan Pace's work just yet, but I think the mission and mindset of the franchise is still totally broken.

I'd be surprised if they wait until the 4th or later to draft a QB this year. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1440 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
What does it say about the Bears, that as a Bears fan I would have loved to see Tyrod Taylor playing for Chicago next year.

He definitely would have been the best option. Solid baseline numbers, a little room to grow, some mobility, doesn't throw the ball away. Gives an otherwise good team a chance to make the playoffs and a rebuilding team the opportunity to approach competitive while developing the rest of the roster. Bills were smart (and lucky, given how they operated over the last four months) to make it work.

Looks like Glennon to Chicago on $45M over 3 with $18M guaranteed. Doesn't strike me as out of line, particularly if the $18M is frontloaded enough to enable Chi to get out of the deal after two with only a marginal cap hit in the third year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1441 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »
Looks like Glennon to Chicago on $45M over 3 with $18M guaranteed. Doesn't strike me as out of line, particularly if the $18M is frontloaded enough to enable Chi to get out of the deal after two with only a marginal cap hit in the third year.

I was skeptical of Glennon but that deal seems reasonable. If he doesn't look like he's the long-term answer, the Bears will likely be bad again and can draft a QB next season from what is believed to be a deep QB class, develop that QB behind Glennon for a year and then hand his the keys after that if he's ready. If Glennon does look like the long-term solution, even better. If he's somewhere in between, draft a QB in 2017 anyway.

Bears also sign safety Quintin Demps. 31yo, ball-hawking journeyman. Not an Pro Bowler but a definite upgrade.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:46:39 AM by MerrittsMustache »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1442 on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
Biggest positive I see to the Glennon signing is there is now likely no chance they draft Trubisky.  Which was a very real worry for me, regardless of what rumors were saying.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1443 on: March 09, 2017, 12:56:55 PM »
Jay Cutler has been officially released.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1444 on: March 09, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
RT Rick Wagner, Badger, then Raven, picked up by the Lions for 9 mil per year.  Grew up in West Allis.  Nice pay day.  I guess Stafford will appreciate having a good pass blocker, but that's a lot of coin for a RT.  Setting the bar pretty high for Lang. 
Ludum habemus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1445 on: March 09, 2017, 01:27:33 PM »
RT Rick Wagner, Badger, then Raven, picked up by the Lions for 9 mil per year.  Grew up in West Allis.  Nice pay day.  I guess Stafford will appreciate having a good pass blocker, but that's a lot of coin for a RT.  Setting the bar pretty high for Lang.

Keeping Stafford on his feet is the secret to success for the Lions.    They were outscored last year.    No running game.   Tons of cap space.    More $ than ideal, but no complaints.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1446 on: March 09, 2017, 02:10:13 PM »
Jay Cutler has been officially released.

Sad day for Packer fans.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1447 on: March 09, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
I'm mad the Bears didn't take that Osweiler offer from the Texans, that was a steal by the Browns.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1448 on: March 09, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
I'm mad the Bears didn't take that Osweiler offer from the Texans, that was a steal by the Browns.

Cleveland has over $100M in cap space. Totally worth taking a flyer on Osweiler to get more picks. Word is that they'll try to move him but I'm not sure there are any takers.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1449 on: March 09, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »
Alshon to Philly on a 1yr/$14M deal. He would have made more had the Bears franchised him.

feedback