collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253283 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #1125 on: December 13, 2016, 10:56:49 PM »
I agree with every point you make here.... but with a caveat.

It is a playoff game for the Packers - they have to win out. If this was early or mid-season, I would be on board with you.

I absolutely want the Bears to lose, they need to find a way to overtake the Jags for the third pick.

I've soon too much weird NFL football over the years with scenarios shaping up like this Sunday though to not think this won't be anything other than a 3 point game either way.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1126 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
I absolutely want the Bears to lose, they need to find a way to overtake the Jags for the third pick.

I've soon too much weird NFL football over the years with scenarios shaping up like this Sunday though to not think this won't be anything other than a 3 point game either way.

I know it will be a tight game because we're going down to Northbrook for the annual viewing party with my FiL's childhood friend. The people we're seeing are great, but the wife of the host, while a pretty uneducated football fan, is an unabashed Bears fan. The crowd is a mix of Packer and Bear fans, but she takes a sick pleasure in running around playing the Bears "fight song" any time they do ANYTHING remotely positive. "Hey, they didn't fumble" - fight song, "Hey they got four yards on 3rd and 6" - fight song "Hey, they sacked Rodgers" - fight song 3x

It drives me absolutely insane(which may be her objective).

Anyway, every single time we are there it is a tight game which means that damn fight song will be playing all the time. So we're going down on Sunday which means it will be a tight game.

Correlation IS causation my friends.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: December 14, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
I know it will be a tight game because we're going down to Northbrook for the annual viewing party with my FiL's childhood friend. The people we're seeing are great, but the wife of the host, while a pretty uneducated football fan, is an unabashed Bears fan. The crowd is a mix of Packer and Bear fans, but she takes a sick pleasure in running around playing the Bears "fight song" any time they do ANYTHING remotely positive. "Hey, they didn't fumble" - fight song, "Hey they got four yards on 3rd and 6" - fight song "Hey, they sacked Rodgers" - fight song 3x

It drives me absolutely insane(which may be her objective).

Anyway, every single time we are there it is a tight game which means that damn fight song will be playing all the time. So we're going down on Sunday which means it will be a tight game.

Correlation IS causation my friends.

Too bad Cutler isn't playing... because this is what I always end up playing every time Cutler screws up (which is typically at least 6 times/game) when the Bears play the Packers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/-DPBgqKwvDs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/-DPBgqKwvDs</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »
Too bad Cutler isn't playing... because this is what I always end up playing every time Cutler screws up (which is typically at least 6 times/game) when the Bears play the Packers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/-DPBgqKwvDs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/-DPBgqKwvDs</a>

My repeat video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU9Ke3uFP8w

"Same old Jay."

"We don't need luck."

"Jay will throw us the ball."

"The proof is in the pudding."

"He'll throw the ball to the defense."

So good, so true.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:18:12 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: December 14, 2016, 10:46:40 AM »
Bob McGinn, in his article about how the Packers are not in the same class as the Seahawks, wrote about how the Fail Mary call was the correct call and that the ref who made the touchdown call had a "better view of the play than any camera could ever have."  When things are going poorly for the Packers he's all over it and loving writing about it.  When things start rolling for them he just takes these stupid jabs when it's clear that wasn't the right call.

Also, I love how his article following the Falcons game about Rodgers not being a HOF QB yet (LOL) sites his inability to record fourth quarter comeback wins compared to his peers (because he couldn't get 45 yards in 31 seconds after the defense gave up the lead he helped to get in that same 4th quarter).  That is the worst possible statistic to measure a quarterback.  I honestly don't mean to knock Stafford here, I'm just using it as an example of how stupid it is, but Stafford throws a pick 6 in the 4th quarter to fall behind and then goes down and gets a drive to take the lead and eventually win the game, so suddenly he's credited with a "4th quarter comeback" despite the fact that the only reason they had a deficit in the 4th quarter was because he threw a pick 6.  But when Rodgers drives down the field to take a lead and then the defense lets the Falcons score a touchdown to win the game with 31 seconds left it's, "Oh, look at Rodgers, can't win games he trails in the 4th quarter!"

I used to love McGinn.  He's gotten annoying the last 2 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: December 18, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »
As was stated months ago, Barkley > Cutler.

brandx

« Reply #1131 on: December 18, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Special teams = Brutal

Capers = Terribly brutal. Send someone to walk him out now. What will it take? The middle has been wide open EVERY single pass attempt by Barkley. That is coaching. Fire him now!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: December 18, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »
They're playing zone cause the secondary sucks. They are getting zero pass rush too. Not just the coaching.

brandx

« Reply #1133 on: December 18, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
They're playing zone cause the secondary sucks. They are getting zero pass rush too. Not just the coaching.

I've never seen a zone that totally vacates the center of the field.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: December 18, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
As was stated months ago, Barkley > Cutler.

And you're still wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: December 18, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Last year's Davante is back.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: December 18, 2016, 02:06:26 PM »

And you're still wrong.

Well, Barkley's been much better over the past 4 weeks than Cutler had been for much of his time in Chicago. So maybe it's just a hot streak for him I guess.

Anyways I don't know what took Mac so long to realize Ty needed his touches. It wasn't that hard to see, was it? It was pretty clear last year before he got injured. At least I thought?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: December 18, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
Cutler switched to number 12 hey?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: December 18, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »
Barkley's been atrocious in the second half, can't make those decisions.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: December 18, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »
Well, Barkley's been much better over the past 4 weeks than Cutler had been for much of his time in Chicago. So maybe it's just a hot streak for him I guess.

Anyways I don't know what took Mac so long to realize Ty needed his touches. It wasn't that hard to see, was it? It was pretty clear last year before he got injured. At least I thought?

Rodgers is the most important player on the team. Got to keep him happy by throwing the ball.

brandx

« Reply #1140 on: December 18, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »
Barkley's been atrocious in the second half, can't make those decisions.

But the Bears have a secret weapon - Capers.

You are never out of the game with him calling the defense.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: December 18, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »
Barkley just realized Alshon was playing in this game.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: December 18, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »
Vikes season over.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: December 18, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
But the Bears have a secret weapon - Capers.

You are never out of the game with him calling the defense.

So what exactly should they do?  They took away the middle, like you bitched about last half, so they attacked the sidelines.

I mean this defense doesn't have a lot of talent out there right now.  I'm not saying Capers is great, but he is clearly dealing with a limited deck right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: December 18, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »
One loss down, two to go.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #1145 on: December 18, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »

So what exactly should they do?  They took away the middle, like you bitched about last half, so they attacked the sidelines.

I mean this defense doesn't have a lot of talent out there right now.  I'm not saying Capers is great, but he is clearly dealing with a limited deck right now.

Took away the middle? What game are you watching?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: December 18, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
The one where HHCD had two interceptions down the middle.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: December 18, 2016, 03:06:02 PM »
Fact of the matter is when you can't sustain drives you lose games. Up 10 4th quarter and the Packers are dropping back and throwing 40 yard passes to the sideline to a guy who hasn't caught routine passes all day.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: December 18, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »
Fact of the matter is when you can't sustain drives you lose games. Up 10 4th quarter and the Packers are dropping back and throwing 40 yard passes to the sideline to a guy who hasn't caught routine passes all day.

They ran the ball too. Didn't work.

But your point is 100% correct.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: December 18, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
I'll take credit, I said this was a game to be terrified about if I were a Pack fan, it was easy to see that this would be a walk off type game.

If JAX can somehow win, would be a good day for the Bears.