collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253248 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #950 on: November 14, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »

They are signed through 2018.  I have said this before, but I think they will get 2017, and if more of the same continues, both will be bought out with a year remaining.  The Packers have $275 million in reserve and made nearly $50 million in profit next year.  They have the money.

Having and willing to spend are two different things.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #951 on: November 14, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
Alshon's been working out with Arrieta I see.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #952 on: November 14, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
Alshon's been working out with Arrieta I see.

Rumor is that Alshon borrowed some urine from Clay Matthews so that he could fail a test and not be subjected to playing for this sorry team for the next 4 weeks  ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #953 on: November 14, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
Rumor is that Alshon borrowed some urine from Clay Matthews so that he could fail a test and not be subjected to playing for this sorry team for the next 4 weeks  ;)

But Clay didn't need it for the exact same reason because he has the built in excuse of, "My hammy hurts!"
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #954 on: November 14, 2016, 03:22:43 PM »
I don't even know what to say about the Bears any more. From top down, organization and team just flat out suck. And they won't be terrible enough to be worse than the Niners. I hate being a fan of this team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #955 on: November 14, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
I don't even know what to say about the Bears any more. From top down, organization and team just flat out suck. And they won't be terrible enough to be worse than the Niners. I hate being a fan of this team.

Are they hiring yet another consultant to hire yet another GM who they will not let hire their own coach?  Has Pace really been that bad?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #956 on: November 14, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »

Are they hiring yet another consultant to hire yet another GM who they will not let hire their own coach?  Has Pace really been that bad?

I don't know exactly what that consultant is doing to be honest. I don't know if it's business operations or football operations. I don't know if Pace is that bad, but he's not the main problem. There's an accountant running the organization, owned by a family that simply doesn't have the know how to run an NFL franchise, despite being the grandkids of the founding father of the modern NFL. It's an absolute clown show. Every 10 years they luck into a playoff birth.

It's not "if" the family will sell, it's "when". If they're waiting for estate tax reform to happen, hopefully the new administration spearheads it soon (if you're a Bears fan).

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #957 on: November 14, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »
They should look at Mike McCarthy. He's a highly successful NFL head coach.

brandx

« Reply #958 on: November 14, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »

For a team that desperately needs a QB for the future, he has drafted zero QBs to try to develop in the two years he has been there. He drafted Kwiatkowski (an ILB after signing two FA ILBs), plus Bush and Hall in the 4th round rather than looking for a future QB - maybe a Dak Prescott?

Also, all of the stories about Fox trying to solidify and increase his power within the organization make it look like he doesn't have a lot of confidence in Pace.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #959 on: November 15, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
For a team that desperately needs a QB for the future, he has drafted zero QBs to try to develop in the two years he has been there. He drafted Kwiatkowski (an ILB after signing two FA ILBs), plus Bush and Hall in the 4th round rather than looking for a future QB - maybe a Dak Prescott?

Also, all of the stories about Fox trying to solidify and increase his power within the organization make it look like he doesn't have a lot of confidence in Pace.

It's easy to second guess not taking Prescott in the 4th Round (I've done it), but every other team passed over him multiple times as well. Even if the Bears weren't sold on Prescott as an NFL QB, it's worth taking a shot with a QB in the late rounds. At pick #185, the Bears took DeAndre Houston-Carson from W&M - the third DB they took in the draft. Brandon Allen, Nate Sudfeld, Jake Rudock, Jeff Driskel and Brandon Doughty were all drafted after that and Trevone Boykin (undrafted) was also available. Don't get me wrong, none of those guys look to be NFL starting-caliber QBs and none have set the world on fire in their limited opportunities, but the Bears would be just as well off, if not better off, being able to throw one of those players into the mix at this point to see what he can do. Cutler is a lame duck QB. There is no benefit to having him play the next 7 games of the season. None. Unfortunately, the only alternative is Matt Barkley and he is what he is.

The Bears' post-Emery issues began when they hired a young GM to rebuild the team and then forced him to hire a 60-year-old "win now" head coach. When the coach and GM aren't on the same page immediately out of the gate, that has disaster written all over it.

Personally, I'd like to see the team fire John Fox and give Pace a chance to run the show. I don't think Fox is a bad coach - he's just a bad fit for this team. It'd be nice if the Bears could bring in a young, offensive-minded coach to come in with the (potential) franchise QB they'll take in the 2017 Draft. Pete Carmichael Jr. is the first name that comes to mind. He's only 45 and has been the OC in New Orleans (where Pace came from) since 2009. He actually interviewed with the Bears before they hired Trestman. Another option would be Jim Harbaugh but I don't see the Bears ponying up the kind of cash it would take to bring him back to Chicago and who knows what his interest would be anyway.

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #960 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
Just 'Queens being 'Queens.

Haven't we had enough misogyny the last few months?

Watch out for the Falcons in the playoffs.  They are not championship material, but they type of team that would give Dallas fits.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #961 on: November 16, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »
Packers picked up Christine Michael off waivers.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #962 on: November 20, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
Vikes game closer than I thought.  Patterson just ran the 2nd half opener back.  Now up by 10.  Plenty of time to blow this lead. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #963 on: November 20, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
Ton of bad calls going Vikes way. 

JB, Queens to Super Bowl????

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #964 on: November 20, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »
Trying their best to piss this one away.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #965 on: November 20, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
Lions.   10 games, 10 games decided by 7 points or less.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #966 on: November 20, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
Early game on Thursday might actually have meaning. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #967 on: November 20, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »
Ton of bad calls going Vikes way. 

JB, Queens to Super Bowl????

#donedeal

Nice to see the little Lions give NFC North folks a hope the Vikings don't easily Waltz to yet another division championship. SKOL VIKINGS!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #968 on: November 20, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »
Maybe Janis finally gets cut.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #969 on: November 20, 2016, 09:33:50 PM »
Hilarious. Special teams continues to be absolutely horrendous. So logically the Packers solution is to fire the special teams coach and promote the assistant. That'll do the job.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #970 on: November 20, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »
Hey I have an idea! Every 3rd and medium let's bring house and leave the middle of the field wide open to let Crowder or Jackson just sprint right by an ILB for 50 yards!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #971 on: November 20, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
If they allow Dom on the flight home, it should be for the sole intent of throwing him out from 20k. Yes, we're horrendously hurt, but just complete and utter mismanagement  with respect to the talent he has available

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #972 on: November 20, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »
Maybe firing Capers in season doesn't matter anymore, but this is embarrassing, just let the guy go and move on to next season.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #973 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
Maybe firing Capers in season doesn't matter anymore, but this is embarrassing, just let the guy go and move on to next season.

No illusion that this season is salvageable, but riding it out to the end sends the wrong message, imo

brandx

« Reply #974 on: November 21, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »
Hey I have an idea! Every 3rd and medium let's bring house and leave the middle of the field wide open to let Crowder or Jackson just sprint right by an ILB for 50 yards!

You're too late, Wades. Capers thought of that weeks ago.

feedback