collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253362 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #650 on: September 29, 2016, 11:42:26 PM »
They used to send letters. It was even featured on Hard Knocks at one point. Enlighten us, how does the procedure work now?

NFL teams can file complaints to the competition committee after every game and the competition committee responses to those complaints, and the answers are not swept into the recycling bin or they wouldn't take the time to file the complaints. They're also not some super secret answers that nobody is allowed to talk about like the article claims. The NFL does not go through every play in every game and send a list of calls that went against a team each week to every team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #651 on: September 30, 2016, 08:51:20 AM »
NFL teams can file complaints to the competition committee after every game and the competition committee responses to those complaints, and the answers are not swept into the recycling bin or they wouldn't take the time to file the complaints. They're also not some super secret answers that nobody is allowed to talk about like the article claims. The NFL does not go through every play in every game and send a list of calls that went against a team each week to every team.

Actually, the NFL reviews every play from every game from each official's position in order to grade the officials. How and when pertinent information is shared with teams, I don't know but it gets to them somehow. I had been under the impression that the league sent letters. Perhaps that process has changed. The NFL does not comment about their communication with teams regarding officiating so I'm not sure. Maybe DISH knows, he worked for the Bears, IIRC.

Also, the article didn't claim that they were "super secret answers." Caldwell claimed that he wasn't allowed to talk about it, which isn't true.

I guess it'll just be one of life's great mysteries...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #652 on: September 30, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Actually, the NFL reviews every play from every game from each official's position in order to grade the officials. How and when pertinent information is shared with teams, I don't know but it gets to them somehow. I had been under the impression that the league sent letters. Perhaps that process has changed. The NFL does not comment about their communication with teams regarding officiating so I'm not sure. Maybe DISH knows, he worked for the Bears, IIRC.

Also, the article didn't claim that they were "super secret answers." Caldwell claimed that he wasn't allowed to talk about it, which isn't true.

I guess it'll just be one of life's great mysteries...

Yes, they review every call with/for the referees.  They do not send a laundry list of every play as to whether it was correct or incorrect to every team in the NFL.  NFL teams are allowed to file complaints after every game to the competition committee.  They are asked to file 10 or less, but teams (like the Jaguars, evidently) go ahead and file more than that sometimes.  The NFL sends a letter in response to those complaints to the teams.

No, the article doesn't say that it was a super secret answer.  But it does say that Jim Caldwell says he isn't allowed to talk about what he was told, which, as you said, is not true at all.  So something here has to give.  Either the NFL told him that this had to remain a super secret answer, or the answer never really came and this whole article is a joke.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:26:19 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #653 on: September 30, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
Yes, they review every call with/for the referees.  They do not send a laundry list of every play as to whether it was correct or incorrect to every team in the NFL.  NFL teams are allowed to file complaints after every game to the competition committee.  They are asked to file 10 or less, but teams (like the Jaguars, evidently) go ahead and file more than that sometimes.  The NFL sends a letter in response to those complaints to the teams.

No, the article doesn't say that it was a super secret answer.  But it does say that Jim Caldwell says he isn't allowed to talk about what he was told, which, as you said, is not true at all.  So something here has to give.  Either the NFL told him that this had to remain a super secret answer, or the answer never really came and this whole article is a joke.

I never said that they send a "laundry list of every play." I should have been clearer on what I wrote though.

It's also possible that Caldwell simply didn't want to talk about that play again. To me, that seems more likely than your either/or scenario.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #654 on: September 30, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »
Now I'm confused about what "I'm out" means?

You 2 should take this to PMs IMO.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #655 on: September 30, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
Didn't feel like starting any new polls or anything, but fox, publicly isn't guaranteeing cutler his starting job back when he is given medical clearance.  Come on mannnnn!!  the Vegas odds people must be scrambling

I think many chicagoans are quietly hoping the injury keeps him out for awhile.  They were playing him mainly b/c of the money, but honestly, they would get more bang for their buck by NOT playing him...they would have a better shot at winning
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #656 on: September 30, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »
I think many chicagoans are quietly hoping the injury keeps him out for awhile.  They were playing him mainly b/c of the money, but honestly, they would get more bang for their buck by NOT playing him...they would have a better shot at winning

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #657 on: September 30, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #658 on: September 30, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #659 on: September 30, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »
There's one clear player to me that the Bears need to bottom out for, and his name is Myles Garrett.

It's not even close.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #660 on: September 30, 2016, 04:24:47 PM »
There's one clear player to me that the Bears need to bottom out for, and his name is Myles Garrett.

It's not even close.

Problem is, the next great team built around a pass rusher will be the first.
If the Bears think any of the top QBs (Kizer, Watson, Kaaya) have franchise potential, they have to take him, even if they believe Garrett is the better player ... which he very likely will be.
Good QB >>> Great DE.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #661 on: September 30, 2016, 04:31:19 PM »
If the Bears think any of the top QBs (Kizer, Watson, Kaaya) have franchise potential, they have to take him, even if they believe Garrett is the better player ... which he very likely will be.
Good QB >>> Great DE.

To be fair, Mario Williams has had a better career than Bush, Leinert and Young. But yes, you're absolutely right. Deshaun Watson, come on down.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:50:46 PM by Chitown4for4 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #662 on: September 30, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »
Good QB >>> Great DE.

Von Miller disagrees with this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #663 on: September 30, 2016, 05:04:41 PM »

Gig 'Em
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #664 on: September 30, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
Von Miller disagrees with this.

Maybe. He'd be wrong.

True fact:
Broncos record, with Miller in the lineup, in games started by someone other than Peyton Manning:  15-10
Broncos record, with Miller in the lineup, in games started by Peyton Manning: 38-12
Broncos record, without Miller in the lineup, in games started by Peyton Manning: 7-0

I won't argue that Manning wasn't terrible last year and the defense didn't carry that team. But the Broncos weren't a Super Bowl contender with Miller until Manning came along.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #665 on: September 30, 2016, 05:31:51 PM »
To be fair, Mario Williams has had a better career than Bush, Leinert and Young. But yes, you're absolutely right. Deshaun Watson, come on down.

That's true. But it still doesn't matter.
You still have to take your chances if you think a QB has franchise potential. If you don't think a guy has franchise potential, then by all means take the best player available.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #666 on: September 30, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »
Maybe. He'd be wrong.

True fact:
Broncos record, with Miller in the lineup, in games started by someone other than Peyton Manning:  15-10
Broncos record, with Miller in the lineup, in games started by Peyton Manning: 38-12
Broncos record, without Miller in the lineup, in games started by Peyton Manning: 7-0

I won't argue that Manning wasn't terrible last year and the defense didn't carry that team. But the Broncos weren't a Super Bowl contender with Miller until Manning came along.

I won't argue the record, but I don't agree it's that black/white. If you had to decide which player had a greater impact on the Broncos getting to and winning last year's SB, it was unquestionably Miller.

I'm not devaluing the QB position, but if the Bears are keeping Fox and Fangio, invested in ILB's like they did, I'm taking Garrett. Keep in mind, I love Garrett, I believe he's the next Miller/Reggie/Derrick Thomas. Guy is a prototype, with good bloodlines, solid work ethic, and keeps improving. I can't pass on him.

Now, if McDaniels became HC, maybe I'd change my mind, but I personally can not pass up Garrett, right or wrong.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #667 on: September 30, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »

It's not even close.

I'm hoping Jacoby Brissett plays well for the Patriots and they trade Garoppolo to the Bears.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #668 on: October 01, 2016, 06:16:56 AM »
Careful what you claim.  You'll be looked at as an irrational, green and gold glasses wearing, thin skinned fool for saying things like that about the amazing professional Chicago athletes.

Well, us packer backers are more compassionate than many think...we all wish him a safe and speedy recovery and hope he's back on the field behind the center for their games for many years to come
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #669 on: October 01, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
Well, us packer backers are more compassionate than many think...we all wish him a safe and speedy recovery and hope he's back on the field behind the center for their games for many years to come

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #670 on: October 02, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
Bears v Lions= Paint drying

The Lions FG would be good from 70.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:53:16 PM by real chili 83 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #671 on: October 02, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »
I am shocked the Rams are 3-1.