collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Renaming buildings and institutions  (Read 7335 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Renaming buildings and institutions
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 07:19:26 AM »
I disagree. Regardless of imperfection, George Washington is an heroic figures when viewed in any reasonably fair context. Lots of others also fit that category. Anyone demanding perfection in his or her heroes doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously.

While that is true, we also aren't having honest discussions about placing people in context.  The last time this issue boiled over, we had a lot of people claiming  that Colin Kaepernick was "disrespecting the troops" while peacefully kneeing, yet defended honoring the general of a rebellion that literally killed 300,000+ troops.

That's a context problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »
I am reasonably certain that up until the last 40-50 years are so, very few men would allow their wives to have a full-time career, and expected them to perform the overwhelming majority of housework and childcare.

So tear those guys' statues down.  They were all misogynists.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 07:56:06 AM »
I am reasonably certain that up until the last 40-50 years are so, very few men would allow their wives to have a full-time career, and expected them to perform the overwhelming majority of housework and childcare.

But I guess this is the point.  I am all for placing people into the context of history, but then let's have honest discussions about that history.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 08:33:57 AM »

Could you cite some specific examples?
Like, was Martha Washington a fledgling young architect until George came along and banished her to the kitchen?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »

This was science based.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
Of course.

Do you accept that some attitudes considered dark today were once not only accepted but were considered “best science”? For example, homosexuality was deemed a mental illness by our most learned less than 50 years ago. Should any psychiatrist who agreed with that scientific consensus be “cancelled” because of what we know now?

Placing today’s standards  on people who lived in much different societies 50, 100, 200 or 2000 years ago misses the points that history should be explaining rather than demonizing.

If statues were erected in the south 50 or 100 years after the Civil War to intimidate the black community they should be removed from the public square. But the fact that Washington had slaves (while it should be noted by historians) does not disqualify him from being honored.

Yes, I’m pretty much with you the whole way here. To be clear though, there’s a difference between “not canceling someone” and “honoring” them. That context is important. Cancel culture generally is unhelpful, and I think lots of folks who think certain statues should come down also think cancel culture is impulsive and problematic. People should learn about Lee, for example, rather than pretend he didn’t exist. At the same time, that doesn’t mean we should honor him or what he stood for. And it seems reasonable to identify that he represented a horrific part of American history.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:49:07 AM by Babybluejeans »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 08:47:29 AM »

Is this true in the case of the slave owning founding fathers? If I recall correctly slaves were used for the vast majority of the housework and nannying responsibilities.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 09:17:48 AM »
Is this true in the case of the slave owning founding fathers? If I recall correctly slaves were used for the vast majority of the housework and nannying responsibilities.

Not necessarily.  Their wives supervised those activities, just as their husbands supervised the slaves on the plantation.

Also, none of these guys thought women should vote.  Tear 'em down!!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:19:55 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 09:23:41 AM »

Replace them with statues of Baby Boomer Heros!!!!!!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »
Not necessarily.  They wives supervised those activities, just as their husbands supervised the slaves on the plantation.

Also, none of these guys thought women should vote.  Tear 'em down!!!!

Fair enough. I'll get my pitchfork and torch ready to join the tear em down rabble
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
I disagree. Regardless of imperfection, George Washington is an heroic figures when viewed in any reasonably fair context. Lots of others also fit that category. Anyone demanding perfection in his or her heroes doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously.

Are there not people today saying the same about Lee and Davis? When you say "reasonably fair context" you are looking through your own lens. That's exactly why it's a slippery slope. Honestly, I don't get any obsession with monuments. Who cares about a monument to anyone, or what something is named after? We don't teach history at monuments, we don't read placards at a park and write papers on them. History has never needed monuments.

Through my own lens, I agree that Washington should be viewed as a heroic figure. But who makes that call, who defines reasonably fair, that's always going to be the rub. I just don't care that much about monuments or what things are named after. I just don't think it's that important.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 10:06:24 AM »

Through the context of a British mindset they might reasonably and fairly say otherwise
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
What will be interesting to me, regarding cancel culture, is if or when it comes for MLK. He was no saint, he was an abuser and adulterer 40+ women). Does that mean MLK should be “cancelled?”

https://theconversation.com/im-an-mlk-scholar-and-ill-never-be-able-to-view-king-in-the-same-light-118015
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 11:00:38 AM »
What will be interesting to me, regarding cancel culture, is if or when it comes for MLK. He was no saint, he was an abuser and adulterer 40+ women). Does that mean MLK should be “cancelled?”

https://theconversation.com/im-an-mlk-scholar-and-ill-never-be-able-to-view-king-in-the-same-light-118015

What's so interesting to you about it?
Like Lenny, you're setting up a false dilemma here. Nobody engaged in any serious thought or discussion on these topics has suggested that one need to be "perfect" (his word) or a "saint" (yours) to merit some form of honor.
And, as Fluffy has suggested, the kind of extreme slippery slopes narratives being tossed about in this thread only serve to distract from having a real discussion of the issue.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »
Honestly, I don't get any obsession with monuments.

The only people “obsessed” over the monuments are the people who have been lawlessly tearing them down.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »
What's so interesting to you about it?
Nobody engaged in any serious thought or discussion on these topics has suggested that one need to be "perfect" (his word) or a "saint" (yours) to merit some form of honor.

You clearly have not read Brew’s posts. He wants zero monuments because nobody is a hero in everyone’s eye. That sounds like nobody’s perfect or a saint to me.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 02:45:21 PM »
You clearly have not read Brew’s posts. He wants zero monuments because nobody is a hero in everyone’s eye. That sounds like nobody’s perfect or a saint to me.

I read Brew's post, and then re-read them to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
I wasn't missing anything.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2020, 02:55:13 PM »
The only people “obsessed” over the monuments are the people who have been lawlessly tearing them down.

Lenny - I don't know that it is actually fair.  The person/people who fund & erects a monument is in some way 'obsessed'.  Having a dialog about the person being honored & the motivation for erecting a monument is fair game.

I classify ripping something down in anger as just that.  A symptom of rage that is unfair and doesn't give a satisfactory conclusion to anyone.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »
Lenny - I don't know that it is actually fair.  The person/people who fund & erects a monument is in some way 'obsessed'.  Having a dialog about the person being honored & the motivation for erecting a monument is fair game.

I classify ripping something down in anger as just that.  A symptom of rage that is unfair and doesn't give a satisfactory conclusion to anyone.

Frenns,

In general, the people responsible for putting them up have been dead quite some time. Whether they were “obsessed” is anyone’s guess but I would doubt it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2020, 03:06:05 PM »
I read Brew's post, and then re-read them to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
I wasn't missing anything.

No big deal, but we disagree.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »
Frenns,

In general, the people responsible for putting them up have been dead quite some time. Whether they were “obsessed” is anyone’s guess but I would doubt it.

I am pretty sure we can research & document the motivation side on the Confederate monuments erected after 1900. 

It's not like we are trying to figure out stonehenge.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »
Confederacy aside, I think there is this, for lack of a better term, obsession with the need for the statue’s representation to be blameless in order for it to stand.

Look at the people flipping out over Churchill. The man who was instrumental in guiding England through hell and making sure they weren’t the Isle of Deutschland or complete shambolic has-been after the War.  He was far from perfect, but if you’re English and you decry Churchill, then you better decry England’s entire history and identity up until the last 30-40 years, if that.  His negative criticisms are  largely a result of his embodiment of the mentality of English exceptionalism and imperialism. So either you’re not proud to be English and you realize Churchill was an imperfect as the country’s historical identity that you’re proud to be from, or you’re not.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2020, 06:16:19 PM »
 The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.

George Orwell

Where do we stop.... Alexander the Great  Genghis Khan  The Pharaohs?
All men are flawed . we celebrate the good deeds they have accomplished

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »
Confederacy aside, I think there is this, for lack of a better term, obsession with the need for the statue’s representation to be blameless in order for it to stand.

Look at the people flipping out over Churchill. The man who was instrumental in guiding England through hell and making sure they weren’t the Isle of Deutschland or complete shambolic has-been after the War.  He was far from perfect, but if you’re English and you decry Churchill, then you better decry England’s entire history and identity up until the last 30-40 years, if that.  His negative criticisms are  largely a result of his embodiment of the mentality of English exceptionalism and imperialism. So either you’re not proud to be English and you realize Churchill was an imperfect as the country’s historical identity that you’re proud to be from, or you’re not.

You're being kind to Winnie.
There's a few million dead Indians who may have stronger words for him than "far from perfect."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »
All of our forefathers were flawed.   Just as we are all flawed.   On balance, were they working to move society forward and better?     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback