collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason  (Read 33458 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
I still think Soler can end up being an an above average RF.  He has a cannon and one can be taught routes to the ball.  I don't think Heyward in CF will be the long term solution, but his defense in CF should be good enough to allow them to wait to find the right deal for Soler.  I don't think they need to be in any rush. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #251 on: February 19, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »
Heyward is a much better OF than Cespedes.

I certainly agree with you.  The point was that a guy who is certainly an above average LF was certainly a well below avg CF.  Heyward is better, so it stands to reason that he'd be better in CF, but that doesn't mean he will be an above avg CF.

The Cubs will have to resources to make a move at the deadline for sure, but will they?  If I were a Cub fan I would have been pretty disappointed acquiring Dan Haren last season.  They could have gotten Cole Hamels.  Maybe I'm way off base here, but I kind of get the feeling Theo is a little too in love with his prospects, the same way John Paxson was too in love with his guys, and could just never make the trade. 

On the other hand, they have so much depth they will be forced to make a move eventually.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:17:57 AM by buckchuckler »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #252 on: February 19, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
I certainly agree with you.  The point was that a guy who is certainly an above average LF was certainly a well below avg CF.  Heyward is better, so it stands to reason that he'd be better in CF, but that doesn't mean he will be an above avg CF.

The Cubs will have to resources to make a move at the deadline for sure, but will they?  If I were a Cub fan I would have been pretty disappointed acquiring Dan Haren last season.  They could have gotten Cole Hamels.  Maybe I'm way off base here, but I kind of get the feeling Theo is a little too in love with his prospects, the same way John Paxson was too in love with his guys, and could just never make the trade.

I agree that it doesn't mean Heyward will be above average but it is certainly possible.  He's been working with a speed and agility trainer this offseason and his routes are excellent, from what I understand.  I think he should be able to handle it for a year or two. 

In terms of Hamels, there was sound logic behind not acquiring him at the deadline.  At the time, the Cubs were trailing the Cards by a sizable margin and hadn't yet exploded.  Trading a ton of young talent when you know you were likely in a one-game wildcard playoff game where anything can happen didn't really make any sense.

If the right move is there this year I don't think Epstein will hesitate trading prospects. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 19, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »

On the other hand, they have so much depth they will be forced to make a move eventually.

I haven't been a fan of everything that Theo's done, but I still feel confident that he knows what he's doing. Let's not compare him to the Bulls' FO just yet. I used to think that the Bulls FO liked "their guys" too much, but now I've begun to think that they simply lack the guts to make a major trade for fear of "losing" the deal so they'd rather stand pat and hope for the best.

I honestly don't think that Theo thought the Cubs had the horses to go all the way last year even with Hamels (or any other available ace), which is why they didn't come close to making a deal. If they're on a 100-win pace in late July this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull off a major deal.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #254 on: February 19, 2016, 01:04:12 PM »
Even if he didn't believe in their chances last year, Hamels is signed for like 4 more seasons.  He wouldn't have been a short term rental.  Certainly would have been worth the price to acquire him.  The Cubs would have had a front 3 of Arrieta, Hamels and Lester, for the next few seasons. Yikes. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
Even if he didn't believe in their chances last year, Hamels is signed for like 4 more seasons.  He wouldn't have been a short term rental.  Certainly would have been worth the price to acquire him.  The Cubs would have had a front 3 of Arrieta, Hamels and Lester, for the next few seasons. Yikes.

True but maybe they don't get Heyward if they make that move and they still have the prospects to deal moving forward. 

I also assume that some of the players Philly wanted will be contributors to the MLB team this year. 

Believe me, I'd love Hamels in the rotation right now but I understand why they ultimately didn't make the move. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »
True but maybe they don't get Heyward if they make that move and they still have the prospects to deal moving forward. 

I also assume that some of the players Philly wanted will be contributors to the MLB team this year. 

Believe me, I'd love Hamels in the rotation right now but I understand why they ultimately didn't make the move.

That's all fair.  Just for fun lets say they got Hamels, and maybe they can't get Heyward.  They also have no need for Lackey.  So instead of signing those two they just keep Fowler.  Would you prefer Heyward and Lackey or Fowler and Hamels?  There are certainly cases that can be made either way.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »
I've kind of changed my mind on signing a CF now...again, they will have ample opportunity to address it at the deadline, which I believe they will need to do. They can get through the regular season just fine, but will need to make some adjustments in order to get through three playoff series. Trying to be too fine now could potentially do more harm than good.

Like any team, a couple key injuries, significant slumps, etc., and the season could Head towards the toilet real quick. For right now, better to play a few months, see exactly what you have and leverage the solid farm system to close the gaps via trades and/or promotions. They were remarkably healthy last season. odds are that will not be the case this year, so who knows. By the time the deadline rolls around, they may have bigger priorities than fortifying the defense. Better to maintain some roste flexibility between now and then. Adding a CF now, could needlessly limit that flexibility down the road.

Nailed it.

Theo did say that his biggest mistake in Boston was always trying to get the perfect roster before Spring Training started.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »
That's all fair.  Just for fun lets say they got Hamels, and maybe they can't get Heyward.  They also have no need for Lackey.  So instead of signing those two they just keep Fowler.  Would you prefer Heyward and Lackey or Fowler and Hamels?  There are certainly cases that can be made either way.

Cases can definitely be made either way - it's certainly an interesting scenario.  If Lackey doesn't suddenly fall off due to age I definitely lean towards the Heyward/Lackey side.  Getting Heyward's prime years is the biggest thing for me.  And I still think there might be some pop in that bat that can be brought out.  Plus it's not just Fowler/Hamels vs. Heyward/Lackey.  It Fowler/Hamels vs. Heyward/Lackey + all of the prospects that Hamels would have cost.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Cubs add an impact starter this summer.   

I still think the Sox should add another bat.  I'd offer Desmond a big one-year deal to give him the chance to have a huge year and go back out on the market next season.   

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2016, 08:25:08 PM »

I still think the Sox should add another bat.  I'd offer Desmond a big one-year deal to give him the chance to have a huge year and go back out on the market next season.

Yeah, completely agree.  The AL Central is going to be a slugfest I think.  Right now the Sox are in a position to need a bounce back year from LaRoche (which I don't feel that comfortable about).  Adding that one more bat, especially one that could have the impact of Desmond, not only at the plate but on the bases, would be a great addition.  I'd even give him more years.  If Anderson is ready next season they could always move Desmond somewhere else, heck, they'd even had open ABs at DH.  If he has a good season, he could be a great trade chip too.  I'd love to see it.  Doubt it at this point though. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
Detroit has too many 'ifs'.     If Verlander recovers his form from prior to his abdominal muscle tear.   If Cabrera stays healthy.   If VMart's knees are better and 2015 is the outlier.    If JD Martinez continues to pound the ball.   If Zimmerman returns to form.   If the bullpen pieces actually perform to their prior levels and the bullpen ceases to be a temple of doom for the tigers.    If all of the ifs fall Detroit's way, they can contend at a high level.    Like trying to hit a trifecta, though.   The odds of everything falling your way are too long. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #261 on: February 20, 2016, 01:03:21 AM »
Yeah, completely agree.  The AL Central is going to be a slugfest I think.  Right now the Sox are in a position to need a bounce back year from LaRoche (which I don't feel that comfortable about).  Adding that one more bat, especially one that could have the impact of Desmond, not only at the plate but on the bases, would be a great addition.  I'd even give him more years.  If Anderson is ready next season they could always move Desmond somewhere else, heck, they'd even had open ABs at DH.  If he has a good season, he could be a great trade chip too.  I'd love to see it.  Doubt it at this point though.

KC clearly has to be the favorite in the AL Central (although I'm still stunned at the money they gave Kennedy).  But that division and the AL in general seems to have a ton of parity.  If you can add a 2-3 win player, which Desmond seems to be even with his awful season, how do you not do it?  It could end up making a huge difference.

And Desmond has to be killing himself for not accepting that $107 million offer last year, assuming that it was accurate. 

brandx

« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »
KC clearly has to be the favorite in the AL Central (although I'm still stunned at the money they gave Kennedy).  But that division and the AL in general seems to have a ton of parity.  If you can add a 2-3 win player, which Desmond seems to be even with his awful season, how do you not do it?  It could end up making a huge difference.

None of the projections have them winning the Central. In fact, Pecotah has them last in the division.

But then they have Cleveland winning it, so I don't know how much they should be trusted. Love the 3 guys at the top of their rotation, but offensively, they will be average at best.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #263 on: February 20, 2016, 01:28:22 PM »
None of the projections have them winning the Central. In fact, Pecotah has them last in the division.

But then they have Cleveland winning it, so I don't know how much they should be trusted. Love the 3 guys at the top of their rotation, but offensively, they will be average at best.

Hey, the tribe just signed proven winner Juan Uribe. Seriously though, that guy wins wherever he goes. He has squeezed everything he can out of the end of his career. One year for 3 mil.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #264 on: February 20, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »
Hey, the tribe just signed proven winner Juan Uribe. Seriously though, that guy wins wherever he goes. He has squeezed everything he can out of the end of his career. One year for 3 mil.

Juan Uribe is still a very good player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2016, 05:09:47 AM »
Heyward is a much better OF than Cespedes.

I was thinking a younger Ichiro is a better example. He was OK in CF when he had to play there, but he was a great RF.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2016, 11:43:23 AM »
Dexter Fowler agreed to 3-year/$35M deal with Baltimore...and then signed a 1-year deal with the Cubs this morning?

Does this make Soler the 4th OF? Will he and Fowler platoon? Cubs also traded Coghlan for Aaron Brooks (the bad reliever, not the PG or former QB) so I'd assume the Opening Day OFs on the roster will be Heyward, Fowler, Soler and Schwarber.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:55:01 AM by MerrittsMustache »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »
Does this make Soler the 4th OF? Will he and Fowler platoon? Cubs also traded Coghlan for Aaron Brooks (the bad reliever, not the PG or former QB) so I'd assume the Opening Day OFs on the roster will be Heyward, Fowler, Soler and Schwarber.

Id assume so.  Put Soler in RF sometimes to move Heyward to center.  My god this team is stacked.  I thought back to the article about the Cubs still not ruling out Schwarber catching from time to time and almost passed out.  This lineup is going to be outrageous during inter-league games.  Theo doing Theo things.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
The lineup is so interchangeable, my head wants to explode.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
Theo: "This is it. We're not trading anyone else. We feel great about our outfield mix."

Fowler to play center, Heyward right...Soler will move around. Heyward in C some as well. Kind of looks like Soler is now Coghlan

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
This lineup is going to be outrageous during inter-league games.  Theo doing Theo things.

Which we will see right out of the gate @ LAA!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2016, 12:27:59 PM »
Completely unexpected moves.  If anyone can make it work it's Maddon. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
Heyward will play every. Can't believe Fowler took a one year deal to platoon. Schwarber has to get 550 ABs. Zobrist now set for 150 games at 2nd. Will they really keep Soler and Baez as utility players? If I'm either one I'm begging for a trade.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
Heyward will play every. Can't believe Fowler took a one year deal to platoon. Schwarber has to get 550 ABs. Zobrist now set for 150 games at 2nd. Will they really keep Soler and Baez as utility players? If I'm either one I'm begging for a trade.

I don't think Soler and Baez are going anywhere, at least this season.  That kind of depth is huge for a team that is going for the World Series.  Neither of them will complain either. 

feedback