collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason  (Read 33481 times)

brandx

Re: MLB Offseason
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2016, 10:56:26 PM »
7 years 200 million may be what he wants but I think he'll be lucky to get Upton money/duration. He's 30, and lots of teams have traded him or let him walk.

Never, ever underestimate the greed and stupidity of the owners.

Just look at the contract that Chris Davis got. The team that the Orioles outbid for his services - the Orioles.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2016, 10:26:14 AM »
Never, ever underestimate the greed and stupidity of the owners.

Just look at the contract that Chris Davis got. The team that the Orioles outbid for his services - the Orioles.

I live in Chicago and while I don't feel qualified to comment on Jerry Reinsdorf's or Tom Rickett's "greed" quotient these guy are anything but stupid. Maybe they're exceptions.

Regarding Davis, the Orioles let Scott Boras save face on that one. 161m for 7 years instead of the 150m originally offered is the headline, but so much of the contract is deferred at 0% interest that it's likely worth less than the original offer.

I do think the 162.75m/6 year deal the really old dude from Detroit gave Upton was stupid - but he's almost 90 and wants to win a World Series no matter the cost. My guess is he ends up disappointed. Again.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
I live in Chicago and while I don't feel qualified to comment on Jerry Reinsdorf's or Tom Rickett's "greed" quotient these guy are anything but stupid. Maybe they're exceptions.

Regarding Davis, the Orioles let Scott Boras save face on that one. 161m for 7 years instead of the 150m originally offered is the headline, but so much of the contract is deferred at 0% interest that it's likely worth less than the original offer.

I do think the 162.75m/6 year deal the really old dude from Detroit gave Upton was stupid - but he's almost 90 and wants to win a World Series no matter the cost. My guess is he ends up disappointed. Again.

Upton got $132 million, unless new numbers have come out that I am not aware of. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2016, 08:07:05 PM »
More importantly, they addressed their bullpen.   There is a chance that there will be a 100% turnover in their pen between opening day 2015 and opening day 2016.   Rondon may show enough to make the team.     They got Zimmerman for a lot less than they would have had to pay Price, and Upton for a lot less than Cespedes wants.

Completely agree.  Pundits are gushing over the big signings for the Tigers, but the pen is what will really make a difference.

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:26 AM »
May have been mentioned already but what do you guys think of the cubs trying to move Soler and resigning Dex? Hayward would be able to move back to right field if that were to happen. I like Soler and Fowler a lot so I wouldn't be upset one way or another but a co worker brought up the scenario today.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2016, 06:05:17 AM »
May have been mentioned already but what do you guys think of the cubs trying to move Soler and resigning Dex? Hayward would be able to move back to right field if that were to happen. I like Soler and Fowler a lot so I wouldn't be upset one way or another but a co worker brought up the scenario today.

It's possible. Fowler hasn't seen the money he thought. His glove still isn't great, marginally better than Heyward.

It'll still take a lot for the Jed to move Soler before the season starts.

brandx

« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
It's possible. Fowler hasn't seen the money he thought. His glove still isn't great, marginally better than Heyward.

Since Heyward is a great defensive player, wouldn't Fowler be great if he is better than Heyward?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2016, 10:26:50 AM »
Since Heyward is a great defensive player, wouldn't Fowler be great if he is better than Heyward?

We're talking Heyward at CF though.

So defensively Fowler/Soler < Heyward/Soler < Fowler/Heyward.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »

At this point, I'd prefer to keep Soler and see how Heyward does in CF.  It would partially depend on what you get for Soler but I think you'd be selling low right now.   

I'm not so sure Heyward won't be as good as Fowler defensively in CF.  Fowler was solid but nothing special.  I do agree that a Fowler/Heyward combo in CF/RF which greatly improve the defense. 

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
I do agree that a Fowler/Heyward combo in CF/RF which greatly improve the defense.

Any time you don't mention Soler and defense...you are making an upgrade!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »
Any time you don't mention Soler and defense...you are making an upgrade!

I'm just hoping he can improve to be passable as he was brutal last year.  But I think that bat is going to be huge. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
I do find it a little odd that the Cubs would commit so much money to Heyward, with a quite a bit of that presumably because of his defense, then put him into a position that may minimize his defensive skill set.  I find this especially risky considering the Cubs seem to be ready to trot out a guy that can mash, but may end up being one of the worst defensive LFs in baseball.  Putting even more pressure on a guy who will be playing CF regularly for the first time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »
Upton got $132 million, unless new numbers have come out that I am not aware of.

Sorry - meant to type $132.75m - thanks for the correction

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »
I do find it a little odd that the Cubs would commit so much money to Heyward, with a quite a bit of that presumably because of his defense, then put him into a position that may minimize his defensive skill set.  I find this especially risky considering the Cubs seem to be ready to trot out a guy that can mash, but may end up being one of the worst defensive LFs in baseball.  Putting even more pressure on a guy who will be playing CF regularly for the first time.

For Schwarber, he just has to hold strong till 2017, when he becomes the Cubs DH.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »

Schwarber has work to do defensively but too many people are assuming his awful last couple of games in the NLCS was the norm for him in LF, and it wasn't.  He's got a great work ethic, is more athletic than people realize, and hadn't played much outfield.  If he can be average to slightly below average, and I think he can, that bat makes him a huge asset.  He still may catch one a week or so as well.

As for Heyward, there is plenty of time to figure things out.  Playing CF may be a short-term situation, depending on a number of factors.  There's also a chance Heyward opts out after the 3rd or 4th season, in which case the Cubs will have gotten 3 or 4 of his prime years and would likely let him walk at that point.  Any huge contract is a risk but I'm not overly concerned at this point. 

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
For a guy that didn't play LF really at all, his first few goes at it were actually not a good thing. Most the balls out to him were routine fly balls.

In the playoffs, they were anything but...and inexperience showed. As stated, I think with an offseason of work, and more time out in LF, he will get better.

Remember, Adam Dunn was in the OF once. Ryan Braun is in the OF now...when he first started, what a joke!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »
I find it completely crazy and nonsensical that Ian Kennedy has just officially signed for 5 years and 70 million dollars and Ian Desmond can't get anyone to sign him.  Certainly not a scenario on which I would have bet. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »
Remember, Adam Dunn was in the OF once. Ryan Braun is in the OF now...when he first started, what a joke!

Not sure what you're saying here. Dunn was an horrendous outfielder, while Braun became pretty good.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
Is Carlos Lee a good comp for Schwarber?  Is he the kind of player you are hoping for?  He is a guy that played mostly infield in the minors, very big, more athletic than he looked.  Always a bat first guy, but a guy that hit so well he always supported his lackluster defense.  And while he was never a great defender, heck, never a good one, he played a quality of defense that was good enough for how he hit.  What do you think Cub fans?  Reasonable comp?  Reasonable hope?

MOD--- Wow.  Just looked at their numbers, I almost can't believe it but Carlos Lee never struck out 100 times in a season.  In fact Schwarber K'd more last year than Lee's 162 average.  So, unless he gets that under more control, it seems unlikely that he would hit for the avg Lee did, but I think it still may be reasonable. 

By the way, Lee was a really good hitter. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:49:06 PM by buckchuckler »

brandx

« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2016, 03:32:23 PM »
Is Carlos Lee a good comp for Schwarber?  Is he the kind of player you are hoping for?  He is a guy that played mostly infield in the minors, very big, more athletic than he looked.  Always a bat first guy, but a guy that hit so well he always supported his lackluster defense.  And while he was never a great defender, heck, never a good one, he played a quality of defense that was good enough for how he hit.  What do you think Cub fans?  Reasonable comp?  Reasonable hope?

MOD--- Wow.  Just looked at their numbers, I almost can't believe it but Carlos Lee never struck out 100 times in a season.  In fact Schwarber K'd more last year than Lee's 162 average.  So, unless he gets that under more control, it seems unlikely that he would hit for the avg Lee did, but I think it still may be reasonable. 

By the way, Lee was a really good hitter.

Another comp that sounds closer - at least for now - would be Greg Vaughn of the Brewers. Great power. K's in the 120 - 130 range when he played a full season. A guy with over 350 HR despite playing over 125 games just 7 times in his career. And took alot of walks for a good OBP.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2016, 04:23:07 PM »
Not sure what you're saying here. Dunn was an horrendous outfielder, while Braun became pretty good.

I guess i was saying he could go both ways (or that is what I am claiming now...). He either learns to play and becomes above average, or he sucks at it and becomes a better Catcher or DH.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2016, 04:29:37 PM »
I guess i was saying he could go both ways (or that is what I am claiming now...). He either learns to play and becomes above average, or he sucks at it and becomes a better Catcher or DH.

All the scouting reports I've heard on him say he has a better chance at the OF than at C. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2016, 12:53:40 AM »
All the scouting reports I've heard on him say he has a better chance at the OF than at C.

The ideal state after this year, at least from my perspective, is him being able to play OF 4-5 times per week and catch 2-3 times a week, with Contreras taking over the full-time catching duties.  Obviously a lot of moving pieces there but definitely possible, if not likely.  If it doesn't work out it won't be due to his work ethic or makeup.  I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make himself into an average LF, at least in Wrigley.

Btw, Fowler seems like a perfect fit for the Sox.  What's the problem?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »
The ideal state after this year, at least from my perspective, is him being able to play OF 4-5 times per week and catch 2-3 times a week, with Contreras taking over the full-time catching duties.  Obviously a lot of moving pieces there but definitely possible, if not likely.  If it doesn't work out it won't be due to his work ethic or makeup.  I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make himself into an average LF, at least in Wrigley.

Btw, Fowler seems like a perfect fit for the Sox.  What's the problem?

I think the only problem is that Fowler is that he is a pretty average player to lose the number 28 pick.  He does seem like a pretty good fit though, as does Desmond (but with the same downside).  It is interesting how the pick has killed the market for some players but not at all for others.  At this point I bet Kendrick wishes he had taken it. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:49:01 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
Brewers trade Segura to the Dbacks.  Chase Anderson and a A ball pitcher coming back (seems like a legit prospect) along with Aaron Hill, for whom the Dbacks are paying.  Can Lucroy be far behind? 

feedback