'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If MU hosts NIT game, it'll be at the Al  (Read 15333 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Re: If MU hosts NIT game, it'll be at the Al
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
Agreed.  Charging anything other than a nominal admission fee ($5 for adults; free for students) would be ridiculous if they are able to host a game rent-free.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
You guys must be joking. High schools charge admission. If we host an NIT game, I will be there and I will gladly pay for my ticket.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 01:13:28 PM »
NIT at the more intimate AL?! Sweet.

NIT at the equally intimate US Cellular with the old MECCA parquet floor?
Sweeter
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:29:17 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »
Some high D1 programs that have down years and host an NIT game offer free admission. Of course, we don't own our game day facility. However, charging for an NIT game is bush league.
I hope your joking.  ::)

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »
Some high D1 programs that have down years and host an NIT game offer free admission. Of course, we don't own our game day facility. However, charging for an NIT game is bush league.

I agree with you, but we had to pay last time was in the NIT.  Maybe it would be different with the game at the Al.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
And for the record, I'd be willing to pay for a ticket if i were in town.  With a very small place on campus like the Al, I may even rather pay some nominal price to make sure I could get a decent seat without hassle. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
Supply and demand.  There are only 4,000 seats available.  They can get enough change to pay for a buy game next year by setting a price that will sell out without leaving much money on the table.  No idea what that price(s) is/are, but yes, it should be done.   

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »
Too Small... move the MU floor across to the MECCA (US Cellular) and have the game there...  Fits about 10,000 and can be VERY loud.

MECCA is also hosting the Wisconsin Regional Robotics Competition March 20-22. NIT Selection won't be complete until late on March 16th. You're not sending a team out to play the next day, and I have to imagine the Robotics competition takes at least 1 day to set up, so that leaves you one (maybe) available day (the 18th) to potentially pay a ton of money in rent, with the reward of being able to play on UWM's floor.

Or you could play at a facility you control, create a hostile atmosphere with fans right on top of the floor, pay no rent, and get all the revenue, and play any day of the week. I know a lot of posters on this board have fond memories of the MECCA, but the Al sounds like a no-brainer to me. 
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2014, 10:34:16 PM »
MECCA is also hosting the Wisconsin Regional Robotics Competition March 20-22. NIT Selection won't be complete until late on March 16th. You're not sending a team out to play the next day, and I have to imagine the Robotics competition takes at least 1 day to set up, so that leaves you one (maybe) available day (the 18th) to potentially pay a ton of money in rent, with the reward of being able to play on UWM's floor.

Or you could play at a facility you control, create a hostile atmosphere with fans right on top of the floor, pay no rent, and get all the revenue, and play any day of the week. I know a lot of posters on this board have fond memories of the MECCA, but the Al sounds like a no-brainer to me. 

+1

Especially if we are only going to draw 3-4,000 people anyway. The Arena would be over half empty

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2014, 11:13:11 PM »
I still think an NIT game would fill the MECCA.  Offer students tickets for about 2/3 of the lower bowl for around $8-10, season ticket holders get dibs next for lower bowl at $30, and upper to anyone for $12.  That's over $100k in revenue without any concessions or program revenue. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
I still think an NIT game would fill the MECCA.  Offer students tickets for about 2/3 of the lower bowl for around $8-10, season ticket holders get dibs next for lower bowl at $30, and upper to anyone for $12.  That's over $100k in revenue without any concessions or program revenue. 

We couldn't fill the MECCA when Steve Nash was in town back in the 1990's with months to sell it.  Very unlikely MU would fill the MECCA.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 07:58:47 AM »
We couldn't fill the MECCA when Steve Nash was in town back in the 1990's with months to sell it.  Very unlikely MU would fill the MECCA.
I agree we probably wouldn't sell it out. But your point about Steve Nash is a little misleading. Santa Clara was in town. Nobody had ever heard of Steve Nash at the time.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
I agree we probably wouldn't sell it out. But your point about Steve Nash is a little misleading. Santa Clara was in town. Nobody had ever heard of Steve Nash at the time.

This.

They almost filled it in '95 for that USF game with only a couple days notice. But, that was the first time since the BC was built that MU played at the Arena, so there was a novelty to it. That was some crowd that night, I wish I could find some video of that game.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 08:23:42 AM »
I don't think it would draw that much more than 4,000, so I would rather see a packed Al instead of a half empty Arena.
MU15

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »
I don't think it would draw that much more than 4,000, so I would rather see a packed Al instead of a half empty Arena.

Stars and bars, eh?

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »
Stars and bars, eh?

back home for break :)
MU15

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »
NIT Show is at 8pm every year at 8pm.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »
This.

They almost filled it in '95 for that USF game with only a couple days notice. But, that was the first time since the BC was built that MU played at the Arena, so there was a novelty to it. That was some crowd that night, I wish I could find some video of that game.

That was also for a trip to New York and the NIT "final four"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »

Santa Clara was a NCAA team the year prior and again the year we played them in Milwaukee.  It was a regular season game for MU, months to sell it out and it didn't happen.  

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/1995/dec/17/marquette-puts-the-cls-on-nash-santa-clara/

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
I'm glad the game is being played at the Al because of how embarrassing that should be for the team. the Real tournament is playing at their home arena a few blocks away and they'll be farting out a game at the Al... awesome.

As a season ticket holder, I will only show up if I'm punished with free tickets.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »
The quicker they lose in the NIT, the better. Let's be honest. Why draw attention to even being in it.?

No sarcasm.
Seriously?  I want them to win the whole damn thing.  Why do so many posters here believe that the only thing that matters at all is the NCAA tournament?  I want MU to win anything it has the opportunity to -- regular season titles, Big East Tournament titles, NIT titles, etc.  Anything would be awesome and exciting.  Of course it's not as awesome as NCAA tournament success like a Sweet 16, but that doesn't mean it's totally without value.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
Santa Clara was a NCAA team the year prior and again the year we played them in Milwaukee.  It was a regular season game for MU, months to sell it out and it didn't happen.  

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/1995/dec/17/marquette-puts-the-cls-on-nash-santa-clara/
Leave it to CBB to emphasize the negative.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
I would love to see a game at the Al.  If it happens, I just hope I can buy some tickets.  I think it will be a really hot ticket, with only 4K available and with it being in a small gym (Al).  I'll be very happy to pay, if I am given the opportunity.

The more games the better.  More experience for our players in a one and done scenario.  More practice time.  New life, new season, new attitudes.  All good in my book. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
back home for break :)

Take that confederate crap down. You are embarrassing the rest of us southerners.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »
That was also for a trip to New York and the NIT "final four"
It was over 8,000. The BC was booked because the Admirals had a game.