collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127429 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10875 on: August 17, 2021, 05:36:59 PM »
Thoughts and prayers to governor Abbott

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10876 on: August 17, 2021, 06:22:38 PM »
Yep. Another great "leader."

From the AP:

The positive test comes a day after Abbott, who has seldom been seen wearing a mask in public recently, did not wear one while speaking indoors near Dallas to a crowded room of GOP supporters, most of whom were older and unmasked. Video posted by his campaign shows the 63-year-old governor — who is up for reelection in 2022 and has drawn two GOP challengers who have attacked the virus restrictions he put in place last year — mingling with attendees as they gathered around him taking pictures.

“Another standing room only event in Collin County tonight,” Abbott tweeted.

The event was held by a group called the Republican Club at Heritage Ranch. Reached by phone Tuesday after Abbott announced he had tested positive, Jack DeSimone, president of the club, said he did not like “to have conversations like this” and declined to comment further on Abbott’s appearance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10877 on: August 17, 2021, 07:16:58 PM »

From the AP:

The positive test comes a day after Abbott, who has seldom been seen wearing a mask in public recently, did not wear one while speaking indoors near Dallas to a crowded room of GOP supporters, most of whom were older and unmasked. Video posted by his campaign shows the 63-year-old governor — who is up for reelection in 2022 and has drawn two GOP challengers who have attacked the virus restrictions he put in place last year — mingling with attendees as they gathered around him taking pictures.

The event was held by a group called the Republican Club at Heritage Ranch. Reached by phone Tuesday after Abbott announced he had tested positive, Jack DeSimone, president of the club, said he did not like “to have conversations like this” and declined to comment further on Abbott’s appearance.

is this your same reaction to people who get aids?  motorcycle riders sans helmits?  women who suffer bad consequences post abortions? 

you gotta stop the "gotcha" moments dude.  we get it...you dance on the graves of those who don't agree with you.  all of the information about this virus isn't out yet.  mark my words-there will be a lot of the stuff we think is true today, proven wrong.  that is how the world evolves and we improve.

you know how many people whose minds you've changed?  probably about less than 1, but you win the schadenfreude trophy of scoop-go have an ice cream err something 

gee...what happened to influenza??? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10878 on: August 17, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »

From the AP:

Ok, but he's fully vaccinated.  He likely didn't contract it last night.  So he could have got it from anywhere.

I don't support his opposition to many of the preventative measures, but the gleeful schadenfreude around his diagnosis has the same tenor as for those who are openly and proudly unvaccinated.  Which doesn't make sense considering his actual infection risks and status give his vaccination is the same as the most ardent and loud vaccine supporters.  Unless we've now shifted to "serves you right" for anyone unmasked that gets infected, even if vaccinated.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10879 on: August 17, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »
  is this your same reaction to people who get aids?  motorcycle riders sans helmits?  women who suffer bad consequences post abortions? 

you gotta stop the "gotcha" moments dude.  we get it...you dance on the graves of those who don't agree with you.  all of the information about this virus isn't out yet.  mark my words-there will be a lot of the stuff we think is true today, proven wrong.  that is how the world evolves and we improve.

you know how many people whose minds you've changed?  probably about less than 1, but you win the schadenfreude trophy of scoop-go have an ice cream err something 

I just like to see you triggered.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10880 on: August 17, 2021, 09:43:36 PM »
all of the information about this virus isn't out yet.  mark my words-there will be a lot of the stuff we think is true today, proven wrong.
This is why we don't need peer reviewed studies, right? And how there have actually been studies but "they" won't let them be published, right?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10881 on: August 17, 2021, 09:54:39 PM »
Ok, but he's fully vaccinated.  He likely didn't contract it last night.  So he could have got it from anywhere.

I don't support his opposition to many of the preventative measures, but the gleeful schadenfreude around his diagnosis has the same tenor as for those who are openly and proudly unvaccinated.  Which doesn't make sense considering his actual infection risks and status give his vaccination is the same as the most ardent and loud vaccine supporters.  Unless we've now shifted to "serves you right" for anyone unmasked that gets infected, even if vaccinated.

What irritates me is that he is forbidding others from enacting policies that protect those who cannot get vaccinated.

Meanwhile, he refuses to wear a mask, but gets tested for COVID everyday, and immediately after he tested positive today they were hooking him up to an IV to give him Regeneron, at $1500 a treatment...all on the taxpayer's dime.

Forbidding others from enacting lifesaving policies; using taxpayer money to give him advantages not available to anyone else.

Absolutely disgusting.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10882 on: August 17, 2021, 10:17:01 PM »
What irritates me is that he is forbidding others from enacting policies that protect those who cannot get vaccinated.

Meanwhile, he refuses to wear a mask, but gets tested for COVID everyday, and immediately after he tested positive today they were hooking him up to an IV to give him Regeneron, at $1500 a treatment...all on the taxpayer's dime.

Forbidding others from enacting lifesaving policies; using taxpayer money to give him advantages not available to anyone else.

Absolutely disgusting.

I don't have any issue with the latter half, its completely valid.  The whole "karma sucks" angle to a vaccinated person testing positive, no matter what they are doing otherwise, just seems odd.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10883 on: August 17, 2021, 10:55:09 PM »
I don't have any issue with the latter half, its completely valid.  The whole "karma sucks" angle to a vaccinated person testing positive, no matter what they are doing otherwise, just seems odd.

I agree on the bolded. I get no joy in seeing others fall ill or fall on hard times, no matter what.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10884 on: August 17, 2021, 11:20:49 PM »

Nope, Wags, not "gleeful" at all. I do not wish pain and suffering on other human beings. I posted a fact-filled AP article.

And I'll second what forgetful said:

Absolutely disgusting.

Tucker is very proud of you for spouting all that gibberish.

Read the above from forgetful; stop trying to make believe COVID-19 is only as bad as the flu; stop equating it to AIDS because it has nothing to do with AIDS; and stop supporting "leaders" who actively, aggressively undermine our nation's response to a deadly, highly contagious virus that already has killed 600,000-plus Americans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10885 on: August 17, 2021, 11:34:58 PM »
Found out a long time, now retired employee was hospitalized for Covid on the 9th. He retired at 58 in 2019, hard working operator. Loved his job and loved training the next generation more than anything.

Spent the last two years coaching softball and baseball for his grandchildren. That was his retirement gig.

Hospital on 9th, vent on the 13th and dead yesterday. He texted his work contact list before being put on the vent.

“Get the vaccine. You don’t want this. I don’t think I’m leaving here.”

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10886 on: August 18, 2021, 08:24:41 AM »

Absolutely disgusting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dandarling/status/1427962893178392580

Why aren’t we hearing more about Hawaii, Louisiana, North Carolina, or other states run by democrat governors who are struggling equally to that of Texas and Florida?  Is it because they have put in all the “appropriate” mitigation measures but have had similar outcomes so that doesn’t fit the narrative or is it the political party affiliation that leads so many on this board to ignore their outcomes? 

With what is going on in Israel I think we’re in for another long fall/winter season in the Midwest and for the first time in a long time the idea of lockdowns, no indoor large gatherings, etc seems more then likely.  When will we get any sort of leadership from the federal level on this?  Their initial response with the mass vaccination sites etc I thought was pretty good but I can’t remember the last time they was anything productive regarding C19 coming out of this administration.  Just a lot of pointing fingers and picking fights with Republican governors.

I’d you look at the seasonality peaks and declines of 2020 it suggests it’s just a matter of time before every state gets hit.  Shocking to me to see our August case numbers in 2021 are 3x’s worse then they were in August of 2020 even though we have 100s of millions of people fully vaccinated and a whole slew of others with natural protection, just a never ending mess.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10887 on: August 18, 2021, 09:33:58 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/dandarling/status/1427962893178392580

Why aren’t we hearing more about Hawaii, Louisiana, North Carolina, or other states run by democrat governors who are struggling equally to that of Texas and Florida?  Is it because they have put in all the “appropriate” mitigation measures but have had similar outcomes so that doesn’t fit the narrative or is it the political party affiliation that leads so many on this board to ignore their outcomes? 

With what is going on in Israel I think we’re in for another long fall/winter season in the Midwest and for the first time in a long time the idea of lockdowns, no indoor large gatherings, etc seems more then likely.  When will we get any sort of leadership from the federal level on this?  Their initial response with the mass vaccination sites etc I thought was pretty good but I can’t remember the last time they was anything productive regarding C19 coming out of this administration.  Just a lot of pointing fingers and picking fights with Republican governors.

I’d you look at the seasonality peaks and declines of 2020 it suggests it’s just a matter of time before every state gets hit.  Shocking to me to see our August case numbers in 2021 are 3x’s worse then they were in August of 2020 even though we have 100s of millions of people fully vaccinated and a whole slew of others with natural protection, just a never ending mess.

Case numbers are misleading, but I assume you knew that.

What do hospitalizations look like in each state? Deaths? Vaccinations compared to those numbers?

Vaccinations are primarily there to prevent hospitalizations and deaths, regardless of case numbers. People are out and about doing more in 2021 because of the vaccine. And if those testing positive now aren't in the hospital or dying, that's what's important.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:35:54 AM by jesmu84 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10888 on: August 18, 2021, 09:42:11 AM »

What do hospitalizations look like in each state? Deaths? Vaccinations compared to those numbers?

Vaccinations are primarily there to prevent hospitalizations and deaths, regardless of case numbers. People are out and about doing more in 2021 because of the vaccine. And if those testing positive now aren't in the hospital or dying, that's what's important.

I don't disagree at all, but there is still a lot of talk about case numbers and positive tests when discussing mask mandates and travel restrictions, etc...  Its all a bit muddled

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10889 on: August 18, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »
I don't disagree at all, but there is still a lot of talk about case numbers and positive tests when discussing mask mandates and travel restrictions, etc...  Its all a bit muddled

The reality is the more virus that is out there the worse it is for everyone particularly if you want a large unvaccinated cohort back in school. It doesn’t change the calculus for vaccination  but the vaccines aren’t the firewall for transmission that they were for other variants.  That’s why it’s important in my mind. 

In my opinion this won’t be ‘over’ (relax and restrict some normal behavior) until the hospitals stop filling up with COVID patients.  They are not designed to handle that on top of normal operations and regardless of what you ‘believe’ is right, the general populations behavior will be impacted until that point.    We need more vaccines taken to achieve that. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10890 on: August 18, 2021, 10:06:34 AM »

Agree with this as well.  I track Wisconsin’s hospitalization, ventilator #’s, ICU capacity, deaths (slightly lower) etc and almost all of those categories are worse off this August compared to last August.  Can’t speak to everywhere else but from the data tracking website I use despite case counts being 3x’s that of last year at this time 7 day avg of deaths has been cut in half nationally compared to August of last year so that’s definitely good news!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10891 on: August 18, 2021, 10:07:45 AM »
This is why we don't need peer reviewed studies, right? And how there have actually been studies but "they" won't let them be published, right?

so dr smith, how many peer reviewed articles have you read?  i don't know what you do or studied to make you the smartest guy in the room, but you ever hear of the "lancet"?  one of the most respected medical journals in the world...well was, may be a more accurate term.  just because something is "peer reviewed" still doesn't make it the "gold standard"  but you knew that of course. 

ivermectin is an excellent example of what is/has been "peer reviewed" and what hasn't.  youtube and facebook censors any mention of ivormectin and covid.  ivormectin has been around a LONG time, is about $3/dose.  find any "peer reviewed" studies on that? 

https://www.drugawareness.org/editor-of-lancet-medical-research-is-unreliable-at-best-or-completely-fraudulent/
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10892 on: August 18, 2021, 10:20:21 AM »
so dr smith, how many peer reviewed articles have you read?  i don't know what you do or studied to make you the smartest guy in the room, but you ever hear of the "lancet"?  one of the most respected medical journals in the world...well was, may be a more accurate term.  just because something is "peer reviewed" still doesn't make it the "gold standard"  but you knew that of course. 

ivermectin is an excellent example of what is/has been "peer reviewed" and what hasn't.  youtube and facebook censors any mention of ivormectin and covid.  ivormectin has been around a LONG time, is about $3/dose.  find any "peer reviewed" studies on that? 

https://www.drugawareness.org/editor-of-lancet-medical-research-is-unreliable-at-best-or-completely-fraudulent/

Linking to a whack job website isn't the slam dunk you think it is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10893 on: August 18, 2021, 11:28:33 AM »
Agree with this as well.  I track Wisconsin’s hospitalization, ventilator #’s, ICU capacity, deaths (slightly lower) etc and almost all of those categories are worse off this August compared to last August.  Can’t speak to everywhere else but from the data tracking website I use despite case counts being 3x’s that of last year at this time 7 day avg of deaths has been cut in half nationally compared to August of last year so that’s definitely good news!

What website?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10894 on: August 18, 2021, 11:29:02 AM »

Agreed. That part is media driven crap

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10895 on: August 18, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »

Source?

I literally just searched on YouTube and found a ton of videos posted in the last week

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10896 on: August 18, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »

"Medical" "professional" strikes again. In your "professional" opinion, do you recommend taking the malaria drug and horse de-wormer together? Or do you administer them sequentially?

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10897 on: August 18, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
What website?

https://www.wha.org/Covid-19Update

For Wisconsin numbers I use Wisconsin Hospital Association website.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Use this one for National numbers out of habit but I’m sure there are better ones out there.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10898 on: August 18, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »

Ivermectin can't pass peer review, because its data is bogus at best. Richard Horton (who was quoted in your whack-job website), was referencing how some bad research practices can get past peer review, because of flaws in the system as it relates to statistical measures and significance.

The fact that the Ivermectin can't even get through peer review at pay-to-publish companies should tell you something.

Why do you keep beating this dead horse? Anyone with even a modicum of scientific understanding should be able to look at the Ivermectin studies and realize it doesn't pass even the simplest of scrutiny.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10899 on: August 18, 2021, 01:30:39 PM »

Why do you keep beating this dead horse? Anyone with even a modicum of scientific understanding should be able to look at the Ivermectin studies and realize it doesn't pass even the simplest of scrutiny.

Ummm, I think you answered your own question.