collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127346 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10725 on: August 04, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »
This is accurate.  Not that we shouldn’t try and find the origins, we should because of the potential breakthroughs scientifically, but we still don’t have a definitive answer about the origin point of the 1918 pandemic.  Good faith investigations versus merely political investigations with preconceived notions are what are needed and that’s not what the poster who suggested it wants

It’s exactly what I want.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10726 on: August 04, 2021, 10:06:28 AM »
How is that trolling.  To not look into the origins of what caused millions of people to die seems silly. 

Not great Terrible analogies but after JFK was assassinated we didn’t throw our hands up and say, “welp we already got a new president and the secret service has made the necessary adjustments to ensure this won’t happen again so who gives a rip why this happened”

With 09/11, we didn’t say “ahh shoot, we’ve already gone to war and are making the necessary changes to ensure sure this doesn’t happen again so forget the why, who, how”

This has been a once in a lifetime pandemic that is ongoing and we don’t find it important to figure out how the hell this happened and who played a role?  I just can’t get on board with that.

Fixed that for you.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10727 on: August 04, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »
This is accurate.  Not that we shouldn’t try and find the origins, we should because of the potential breakthroughs scientifically, but we still don’t have a definitive answer about the origin point of the 1918 pandemic.  Good faith investigations versus merely political investigations with preconceived notions are what are needed and that’s not what the poster who suggested it wants

This is the problem. At this point there is a near zero chance we actually find the origin. It will be all speculation. And there is also zero reason for the Chinese to cooperate, they are well aware that political entities in the US have zero interest in determining facts, they want to be able to justify blame on someone else (e.g. the Chinese). As an example, the article below is horrendous and further justifies not cooperating.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rep-mccaul-wuhan-lab-report-china-covid-republicans

The supposed bombshell report of the "greatest cover-up in human history" is based on public work orders to do maintenance and construction at the research facilities. That is something extremely routine, but is being exploited as proof of a cover-up. It's absurd and highlights the lack of interest of these parties in actually understanding what happened. They have zero interest in facts, 100% interest in spin/blame.

If we want to do investigations on origins. Let's look at how we failed to handle nearly every aspect of this from day 1 once we knew of the virus. Let's examine our failures to get people to buy in on vaccination, which is leading to this likely being endemic.

We could have stamped this out entirely in the US. We had the vaccines, and production capacity. We just lacked buy-in for both historical mistreatment of populations, and political drives to deliberately damage the US so an entity can do better in mid-terms/next presidential election.

Those investigations can get answers, much needed answers that can prevent massive issues like this in the future. But they don't want to do that investigation, because the blame is on them.

Remember the old mantra, when you point a finger at someone, there are 3-pointing right back at you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10728 on: August 04, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
This is the problem. At this point there is a near zero chance we actually find the origin. It will be all speculation. And there is also zero reason for the Chinese to cooperate, they are well aware that political entities in the US have zero interest in determining facts, they want to be able to justify blame on someone else (e.g. the Chinese). As an example, the article below is horrendous and further justifies not cooperating.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rep-mccaul-wuhan-lab-report-china-covid-republicans

The supposed bombshell report of the "greatest cover-up in human history" is based on public work orders to do maintenance and construction at the research facilities. That is something extremely routine, but is being exploited as proof of a cover-up. It's absurd and highlights the lack of interest of these parties in actually understanding what happened. They have zero interest in facts, 100% interest in spin/blame.

If we want to do investigations on origins. Let's look at how we failed to handle nearly every aspect of this from day 1 once we knew of the virus. Let's examine our failures to get people to buy in on vaccination, which is leading to this likely being endemic.

We could have stamped this out entirely in the US. We had the vaccines, and production capacity. We just lacked buy-in for both historical mistreatment of populations, and political drives to deliberately damage the US so an entity can do better in mid-terms/next presidential election.

Those investigations can get answers, much needed answers that can prevent massive issues like this in the future. But they don't want to do that investigation, because the blame is on them.

Remember the old mantra, when you point a finger at someone, there are 3-pointing right back at you.

Exactly.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10729 on: August 04, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »

This is all very accurate.  The findings wouldn’t be good for people of all political stripes, so I’m not holding my breath.  It’ll be simpler to find one culprit to blame it “all” on.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10730 on: August 04, 2021, 10:26:16 AM »
Fixed that for you.

Haha, that’s fair!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10731 on: August 04, 2021, 11:28:46 AM »
This is all very accurate.  The findings wouldn’t be good for people of all political stripes, so I’m not holding my breath.  It’ll be simpler to find one culprit to blame it “all” on.

Hillary.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10732 on: August 04, 2021, 11:34:49 AM »
I should have put this in the Doom thread:

https://www.newsweek.com/2021/08/13/doomsday-covid-variant-worse-delta-lambda-may-coming-scientists-say-1615874.html

"..Lambda has torn through Peru and shows signs of having unusual success in infecting fully vaccinated people, according to one early study."

Lambda has been detected in Texas, btw.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10733 on: August 04, 2021, 11:36:03 AM »
From the NYT:

Younger, sicker, quicker -- kind of an Olympics of disease.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/health/covid-young-adults-sicker.html?campaign_id=4&emc=edit_dk_20210804&instance_id=37046&nl=dealbook&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=65295&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Recently, a 28-year-old patient died of Covid-19 at CoxHealth Medical Center in Springfield, Mo. Last week, a 21-year-old college student was admitted to intensive care.

Many of the patients with Covid-19 now arriving at the hospital are not just unvaccinated — they are much younger than 50, a stark departure from the frail, older patients seen when the pandemic first surged last year.

In Baton Rouge, La., young adults with none of the usual risk factors for severe forms of the disease — such as obesity or diabetes — are also arriving in E.R.s, desperately ill. It isn’t clear why they are so sick.

Physicians working in Covid hot spots across the nation say that the patients in their hospitals are not like the patients they saw last year. Almost always unvaccinated, the new arrivals tend to be younger, many in their 20s or 30s. And they seem sicker than younger patients were last year, deteriorating more rapidly.

Doctors have coined a new phrase to describe them: “younger, sicker, quicker.” Many physicians treating them suspect that the Delta variant of the coronavirus, which now accounts for more than 80 percent of new infections nationwide, is playing a role.

Studies done in a handful of other countries suggest that the variant may cause more severe disease, but there is no definitive data showing that the new variant is somehow worse for young adults.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10734 on: August 05, 2021, 06:13:02 AM »

Florida is a sh!t show.

blah, my graph won't work.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10735 on: August 05, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »

Florida is a sh!t show.

blah, my graph won't work.

More than 20 percent of those currently hospitalized with COVID come from just one state.
Bet you can guess which one.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10736 on: August 05, 2021, 06:52:37 AM »
More than 20 percent of those currently hospitalized with COVID come from just one state.
Bet you can guess which one.

and 1 of every 2000 Floridians currently has Covid. 

Number of hospitalizations is at a an all time high.  How long until we hear about bed shortages, and equipment shortages again?  I'm guessing before Sunday.

All of this is entirely preventable at this point, but we're America, and we thrive on being a global embarrassment.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10737 on: August 05, 2021, 06:56:32 AM »

and 1 of every 2000 Floridians currently has Covid. 

Number of hospitalizations is at a an all time high.  How long until we hear about bed shortages, and equipment shortages again?  I'm guessing before Sunday.

All of this is entirely preventable at this point, but we're America, and we thrive on being a global embarrassment.

In addition to global embarrassment, we also thrive on ignorance in the name of freedom
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10738 on: August 05, 2021, 07:16:50 AM »
In addition to global embarrassment, we also thrive on ignorance in the name of freedom

Would you suggest implementing a federal nationwide mandate then?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10739 on: August 05, 2021, 07:21:19 AM »
Would you suggest implementing a federal nationwide mandate then?

Of vaccination?  Yes.  Just like we did for small pox.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10740 on: August 05, 2021, 07:28:55 AM »
Of vaccination?  Yes.  Just like we did for small pox.

I’m starting to agree with you.  CDC released numbers yesterday I believe saying less then 30% of African Americans have been fully vaccinated.  Outside of a national mandate I just don’t see getting folks on the fence, off the fence anytime soon. 

You think Biden is waiting for full FDA approval or what’s the hold up.  He’s proven with the eviction moratorium that he couldn’t give two sh*ts about what’s constitutional or not so have to imagine he’s just waiting for full sign off.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10741 on: August 05, 2021, 07:35:13 AM »
I’m starting to agree with you.  CDC released numbers yesterday I believe saying less then 30% of African Americans have been fully vaccinated.  Outside of a national mandate I just don’t see getting folks on the fence, off the fence anytime soon. 

You think Biden is waiting for full FDA approval or what’s the hold up.  He’s proven with the eviction moratorium that he couldn’t give two sh*ts about what’s constitutional or not so have to imagine he’s just waiting for full sign off.

38% of Blacks, 49% of Whites.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/percent-of-total-population-that-has-received-a-covid-19-vaccine-by-race-ethnicity/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D

I think that Biden is too much of a coward to much of anything, but I'll take his cowardice over the other guys ignorance and malice any day of the week.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10742 on: August 05, 2021, 08:00:40 AM »
38% of Blacks, 49% of Whites.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/percent-of-total-population-that-has-received-a-covid-19-vaccine-by-race-ethnicity/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D

I think that Biden is too much of a coward to much of anything, but I'll take his cowardice over the other guys ignorance and malice any day of the week.

Part of me wonders that because the topic of Covid has become such a political wedge issue and is being used to justify a whole host of unusual legislation that even though they know they have what they need to get this under control they aren’t necessarily ready to let it go yet.

Whether it’s cowardice or ignorance it’s leading to the same results, unnecessary deaths.  Biden said he would shut down the virus and acknowledged we now have the tools to do it, so get it done Uncle Joe!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10743 on: August 05, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »
Part of me wonders that because the topic of Covid has become such a political wedge issue and is being used to justify a whole host of unusual legislation that even though they know they have what they need to get this under control they aren’t necessarily ready to let it go yet.

Whether it’s cowardice or ignorance it’s leading to the same results, unnecessary deaths.  Biden said he would shut down the virus and acknowledged we now have the tools to do it, so get it done Uncle Joe!

Viruses don't care about political affiliation.  They're ever evolving organisms that just want to survive.  I don't place my faith in politicians because I don't like to be disappointed. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10744 on: August 05, 2021, 08:18:02 AM »

He's got a full diaper. Let someone change him first, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10745 on: August 05, 2021, 08:23:22 AM »

He's got a full diaper. Let someone change him first, hey?

He could borrow some of Trump's depends, or yours if you haven't run out (no pun intended), aina?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10746 on: August 05, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »

Use the correct term, Freedumb.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10747 on: August 05, 2021, 11:09:43 AM »
Biden said he would shut down the virus and acknowledged we now have the tools to do it, so get it done Uncle Joe!

It would be much better if he simply says the Delta variant will "go away, like a miracle"; if he sends out his son-in-law to declare victory over it; and if he then ignores it for the rest of his term.

I also like how you keep framing everything in the context of Black people being hesitant to get the vaccine. Almost as fun as roQQet and Doc Dribble constantly blaming furners streaming across the border for Florida, Missouri and Arkansas being Covid shyteshows.

When in doubt, blame the "others."

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10748 on: August 05, 2021, 11:15:38 AM »
It would be much better if he simply says the Delta variant will "go away, like a miracle"; if he sends out his son-in-law to declare victory over it; and if he then ignores it for the rest of his term.

I also like how you keep framing everything in the context of Black people being hesitant to get the vaccine. Almost as fun as roQQet and Doc Dribble constantly blaming furners streaming across the border for Florida, Missouri and Arkansas being Covid shyteshows.

When in doubt, blame the "others."

Wowzers!!!  Making a lot of assumptions their MU82 when you suggest I’m blaming the “others”.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10749 on: August 05, 2021, 12:09:12 PM »
Wowzers!!!  Making a lot of assumptions their MU82 when you suggest I’m blaming the “others”.

Well, you've been making a lot of assumptions when, every time you respond to anything related to vaccine hesitancy, you bring up Black people.

Each of us in this conversation has acknowledged that a lot of Black people are hesitant to get the vaccine because of horrific government programs from past decades.

But Black people aren't the reason Florida is Delta Central right now.