collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127407 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9325 on: December 12, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »
New study that shows why COVID impacts so many places in the body and could also be a key for long haulers.

Seems the body is attacking itself with auto-antibodies and the virus messing with your immune system for potentially a long time.

I’m not going to pretend to understand this at a functional level but the fact someone can isolate this amazes me.   

https://twitter.com/virusesimmunity/status/1337574470878449665?s=21

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9326 on: December 12, 2020, 08:20:00 AM »
I just my Shingrix vaccine last week and the flu vaccine at the same time.  My arm was very hurt for like 3-4 days.

I had first Shingrix vaccine early Sept, no reaction ... flu shot about a month later, no reaction ... second Shingrix last week - the next day, I felt like a truck had hit me. Entire body hurt and bad headache. It felt like a bad case of the flu, except no upset stomach. But by the following day (2 days after shot), I was fine except for some lingering soreness in the shoulder. A few days after that, completely fine. It was the first time I had ever had any reaction at all to any medication, so that was weird, but thankfully I had been aware of possible side effects, and I was confident they'd be temporary.

It will be very interesting to see how the next month or three go for those getting the COVID-19 vaccines.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9327 on: December 12, 2020, 12:11:47 PM »
I had first Shingrix vaccine early Sept, no reaction ... flu shot about a month later, no reaction ... second Shingrix last week - the next day, I felt like a truck had hit me. Entire body hurt and bad headache. It felt like a bad case of the flu, except no upset stomach. But by the following day (2 days after shot), I was fine except for some lingering soreness in the shoulder. A few days after that, completely fine. It was the first time I had ever had any reaction at all to any medication, so that was weird, but thankfully I had been aware of possible side effects, and I was confident they'd be temporary.

It will be very interesting to see how the next month or three go for those getting the COVID-19 vaccines.

The way you describe the 2nd shot is essentially what I think the COVID reaction will be like for many. Just wonder how many that will scare away from vaccination.

I'd gladly take the COVID vaccine today if I could.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9328 on: December 12, 2020, 01:51:53 PM »

The way you describe the 2nd shot is essentially what I think the COVID reaction will be like for many. Just wonder how many that will scare away from vaccination.

Yep. Lots of polls already indicate willingness by far fewer than the 70% necessary to get back to 'normal,' and they were taken before we got much info about vaccine side effects. IMO, the only way we get anywhere close to 70% is if employers and schools require vaccination.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9329 on: December 12, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »
If take the vaccine now.
Heck, I got like 10 last year before my Asia trip including Japanese Encephalitis, rabies, and Cholera (good for 1 year only).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9330 on: December 12, 2020, 10:27:39 PM »
My wife and I absolutely would get the shots, as would my adult kids and kids-in-law.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9331 on: December 13, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »
I'll get it if nothing else because I want to see my parents in person at least one more time before they die :(.  We haven't seen them since last Christmas and I'm not sure when/if my Mom will feel ok being around us again as my kids, husband and I present a big risk to my Dad and his health issues right now (he most likely wouldn't survive getting Covid).  Of course I have no idea when kids will be able to get the vaccine but I'll deal with that part later..

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9332 on: December 13, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
I'll get it if nothing else because I want to see my parents in person at least one more time before they die :(.  We haven't seen them since last Christmas and I'm not sure when/if my Mom will feel ok being around us again as my kids, husband and I present a big risk to my Dad and his health issues right now (he most likely wouldn't survive getting Covid).  Of course I have no idea when kids will be able to get the vaccine but I'll deal with that part later..

So sad to hear this. Here's hoping your dad continues to avoid this horrible virus and that, once this crisis passes, he has many, many, many years left to enjoy you and his grandkids.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9333 on: December 13, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
America's COVID-19 death toll almost certainly will hit 300,000 today.

That will be only 3 days after we hit 290,000, which was only 5 days after we hit 280,000, which was 6 days after we hit 270,000.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9334 on: December 13, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
So sad to hear this. Here's hoping your dad continues to avoid this horrible virus and that, once this crisis passes, he has many, many, many years left to enjoy you and his grandkids.

Thanks - we almost lost him in 2016 so I'm grateful he's still around but am scared of something happening before we can see them again.  This will be the first time in my many years of life that I won't be with my parents on Christmas which is really going to suck but it most be done.  I'm hoping we'll be able to see them again in the spring.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9335 on: December 13, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55292614

Germany going into lockdown for the holidays starting Wednesday. Non-essential businesses will be closed, only groceries and pharmacies allowed to stay open.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9336 on: December 15, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
LA County has 56 ICU beds left
Orange County has 0 ICU beds left

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9337 on: December 15, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »
LA County has 56 ICU beds left
Orange County has 0 ICU beds left

And Orange County was where the Sheriff's Office wasn't going to enforce the state Covid restrictions.

https://abc7.com/orange-county-coronavirus-don-barnes-southern-california/8537280/

That decision didn't age well....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9338 on: December 15, 2020, 06:37:26 PM »
Administration official infected with COVID-19, loses parts of both legs ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/head-of-white-house-security-office-coronavirus-amputation-medical-bills-2020-12

Crede Bailey, who heads the White House security office, lost part of his lower right leg, including his foot, and a toe of his left foot during a months-long battle with COVID-19, Bloomberg reported on Monday.

Bailey, whose office handles White House credentials and works with the Secret Service, contracted the coronavirus in September. He's been hospitalized for three months but is said to be recovering from the illness.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9339 on: December 15, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9340 on: December 15, 2020, 10:08:01 PM »
Florida manipulated COVID data the downplay conditions leading up to the election.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-ss-prem-covid-deaths-florida-election-20201216-f4kgezjf4rf75ppumt4omxfsxy-story.html

DeSantis & Co. have been doing this for months and months.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9341 on: December 16, 2020, 05:14:33 AM »
And conducted raids on a truth teller.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9342 on: December 16, 2020, 08:45:35 AM »
And conducted raids on a truth teller.

Yep. The pieces of the puzzle are now coming together as it appeared they would. The governor wanted to manipulate the data to downplay the deaths, a data scientist didn't want to play along so she tried to blow the whistle, and the scientist was targeted in a raid to teach her a lesson.

Orwell was just off by a few decades....

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9343 on: December 16, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »

Yep. The pieces of the puzzle are now coming together as it appeared they would. The governor wanted to manipulate the data to downplay the deaths, a data scientist didn't want to play along so she tried to blow the whistle, and the scientist was targeted in a raid to teach her a lesson.
All of this is a perfectly acceptable trade-off because certain people got tax cuts. And a supreme court judge who will stop the horrible oppression of christians.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9344 on: December 16, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
A Research Letter published today in JAMA suggests that COVID mortality has been underreported in the 25-44 age group, in part due to limitations in testing during the study period (March - July).

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/10.1001/jama.2020.24243?guestAccessKey=e7e93128-2115-4730-89fb-023c8acfa867&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=121620

The COVID-19 pandemic was associated with increases in all-cause mortality among US adults aged 25 to 44 years from March through July of 2020. In 3 HHS regions, COVID-19 deaths were similar to or exceeded unintentional opioid overdoses that occurred during several corresponding months of 2018.

Only 38% of all-cause excess deaths in adults aged 25 to 44 years recorded during the pandemic were attributed directly to COVID-19. Although the remaining excess deaths are unexplained, inadequate testing in this otherwise healthy demographic likely contributed. These results suggest that COVID-19–related mortality may have been underdetected in this population.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9345 on: December 16, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
We all need to recommend some good books for Goo to read.

JAMA can be pretty exciting, but maybe we can help him do better.  ;)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9346 on: December 16, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »
The "joke" is on us. We are Sweden!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/16/trump-appointee-demanded-herd-immunity-strategy-446408

A trump official demanding that we kill Americans.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:08:14 PM by Jockey »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9347 on: December 16, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
Not that I'm proud of my maths, but I tried to tell both of you.  We started hitting 2k/day about 3 weeks after averaging 100k cases/day.  We started hitting 200k cases/day after Nov 20.  The next week is going to be awful.

Oof - almost 3,500 died today  :'(

edit:  and we basically matched the new case high from last week (247k), so it's not getting better.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:29:29 PM by rocky_warrior »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9348 on: December 16, 2020, 08:32:17 PM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9349 on: December 16, 2020, 08:38:21 PM »
Oof - almost 3,500 died today  :'(

edit:  and we basically matched the new case high from last week (247k), so it's not getting better.

Yeah. I was the dope who said 3,000 - 4,000 by mid-January.

That’s why you are a Scoop executive and I’m just a nobody poster.

feedback