collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127413 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9200 on: December 01, 2020, 03:14:59 PM »

But we are not. ~40% of the poppy has said screw you and your restrictions. We are doing what we want.
And the rest of us are paying the price.
I have no issues with putting those folks at the end of the care line.

"And the rest of us are paying the price."

Like I said, whether we like it or not, we are all in this together. The virus dictates that.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9201 on: December 01, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
https://crooksandliars.com/2020/12/ohio-republicans-try-impeach-mike-dewine

Ohio Republicans Trying To Impeach Republican Governor Mike DeWine Over COVID-19 Measures

How about we re-name the GOP to GRP - Grim Reaper Party. Only in Amurica could we have elected politicians openly advocating killing American citizens.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:36:55 PM by Jockey »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9202 on: December 01, 2020, 05:39:24 PM »

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/12/ohio-republicans-try-impeach-mike-dewine

Ohio Republicans Trying To Impeach Republican Governor Mike DeWine Over COVID-19 Measures

How about we re-name the GOP to GRP - Grim Reaper Party. Only in Amurica could we have elected politicians openly advocating killing American citizens.

So this is what politicization of the pandemic has led to - the GOP eating its own for actually trying to help.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9203 on: December 01, 2020, 05:52:14 PM »
I completely reject that philosophy.   Right now, the virus is everywhere    I caught it because we had two house fires in one night and I was mingling with civilians and other firefighters without a surgical mask for the only time in months.   Or I caught it at the dentist 36 hours later.   

This isn't some morality test.
w

That's a reckless insinuation, Fahrenheit, and I don't even know your dentist. Every dentist I've spoken with is going above and beyond all reasonable precautions to keep patients and staff as safe as is humanely possible. Just to be clear, I feel the safest, of anywhere, in my office caring for my patients, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9204 on: December 01, 2020, 05:54:50 PM »
Two options, doc.   Personally, I think it was the fires.   If not, the only place I was inside that week without a mask was the dentist.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9205 on: December 01, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »
w

That's a reckless insinuation, Fahrenheit, and I don't even know your dentist. Every dentist I've spoken with is going above and beyond all reasonable precautions to keep patients and staff as safe as is humanely possible. Just to be clear, I feel the safest, of anywhere, in my office caring for my patients, hey?

As long as none of the hygienists have shaved heads, I'm sure you're safe.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9206 on: December 02, 2020, 06:46:56 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9207 on: December 02, 2020, 06:47:37 PM »
It's getting worse ... and it's going to get still worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12/02/world/covid-19-coronavirus#any-thinking-person-has-to-be-worried-us-hospitals-are-treating-100226-covid-patients

The number of Covid-19 patients in American hospitals has surpassed 100,000 for the first time, nearly double the number from spring during the coronavirus’s deadly first wave, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

The relentless rise in hospitalizations follows a rapid climb in new cases, which now number more than one million every week. And deaths, a so-called lagging indicator that tends to spike after a rise in hospitalizations, have also been rising fast. They have now passed 270,000 in the U.S.

The numbers paint a sobering picture of what the next few weeks may look like, experts said. Hospitals in some places are nearing capacity, and if states are unable to curb the surge of new cases, those systems could soon become overwhelmed, as New York was in the spring.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9208 on: December 02, 2020, 07:08:29 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12/02/world/covid-19-coronavirus#any-thinking-person-has-to-be-worried-us-hospitals-are-treating-100226-covid-patients

The number of Covid-19 patients in American hospitals has surpassed 100,000 for the first time, nearly double the number from spring during the coronavirus’s deadly first wave, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

The relentless rise in hospitalizations follows a rapid climb in new cases, which now number more than one million every week. And deaths, a so-called lagging indicator that tends to spike after a rise in hospitalizations, have also been rising fast. They have now passed 270,000 in the U.S.

The numbers paint a sobering picture of what the next few weeks may look like, experts said. Hospitals in some places are nearing capacity, and if states are unable to curb the surge of new cases, those systems could soon become overwhelmed, as New York was in the spring.

And yet how many people are going to still travel at Christmas and still have their large family gatherings too?  This is so very scary :(

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9209 on: December 02, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »

That is especially troubling given that winter is just beginning, and we won’t see the Thanksgiving surge in hospitals for at least 2 or 3 weeks. It is going to be a long, hard winter…

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9210 on: December 02, 2020, 08:13:57 PM »
If we have a "Thanksgiving surge" you are going to see those number of cases start going up this weekend.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9211 on: December 02, 2020, 09:03:22 PM »
If we have a "Thanksgiving surge" you are going to see those number of cases start going up this weekend.

Less thank 1k off from a new record of cases today.  New record for deaths today though :(

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9212 on: December 02, 2020, 09:47:58 PM »

Cases will start showing up in the next few days, but I was responding to MU82’s post about hospitalizations. We will see those surge in a couple of weeks.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9213 on: December 02, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
Less thank 1k off from a new record of cases today.  New record for deaths today though :(

10 pm and over 2700 already. The next 8-10 weeks will be brutal. January and February could be the deadliest time in American history.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9214 on: December 02, 2020, 10:09:45 PM »
"They are dying. That's true. It is what it is."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9215 on: December 02, 2020, 10:49:00 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30438683/nba-says-48-positive-covid-19-initial-re-entry-testing

This is pretty crazy, 9% of NBA players are currently COVID positive.

Having 10% positivity rates for people that have serious exposure or COVID symptoms is one thing.

A 10% positivity rate for a random compulsory screening is another. Can that even be accurate?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9216 on: December 03, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30438683/nba-says-48-positive-covid-19-initial-re-entry-testing

Having 10% positivity rates for people that have serious exposure or COVID symptoms is one thing.

A 10% positivity rate for a random compulsory screening is another. Can that even be accurate?

The CDC's data tracker website is currently down so I don't have exact numbers, but a lot of players spent the first couple of weeks after the bubble seeing their families. The AA community has gotten hit hard by this pandemic.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9217 on: December 03, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »

As Skatastrophy hints, after the very successful bubble, maybe the players did more socializing than was advisable. Perhaps it was a 'cabin fever' thing, maybe a sense of invincibility (not uncommon for young, elite athletes), but that could lead to a surge of cases after their bubble.

By analogy - like 'binge eating' after weeks on a strict diet.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9218 on: December 03, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/01/940395651/coronavirus-was-in-u-s-weeks-earlier-than-previously-known-study-says

I'll file this under bad/misleading science.

The report indicates that COVID was spreading far earlier around the US and globe than reported earlier. This is based on 106 antibody positive samples out of 7,389 blood donations between Dec. 13th and Jan. 17th.

People like Tucker Carlson are now using this as fuel for a "conspiracy" fire.

The 106 antibody positive samples represents 1.4% of the total, which is very easily in line with reasonable ranges for testing error. It also very likely can represent some cross reactivity with a recent, different, coronavirus infection. Possibly OC43 or HKU1, which are also beta-coronaviruses.

Keep sciencing, but also be careful regarding your data, there are a lot of agenda driven people out there that will exploit this for their own gain.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9219 on: December 03, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »

As Skatastrophy hints, after the very successful bubble, maybe the players did more socializing than was advisable. Perhaps it was a 'cabin fever' thing, maybe a sense of invincibility (not uncommon for young, elite athletes), but that could lead to a surge of cases after their bubble.

By analogy - like 'binge eating' after weeks on a strict diet.

This would make sense. Looks like there was some serious bar/club binging after the season ended.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9220 on: December 03, 2020, 03:58:47 PM »
For those keeping track, we have now removed the equivalent of Toledo from the US population.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9221 on: December 03, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »

People like Tucker Carlson are now using this as fuel for a "conspiracy" fire.

The article in Fox News by Carlson today with the title 'Covid is a Global Fraud' made my head hurt. So many confusing contradictions.  I noticed the article is a lot harder to find now.  Some things:

First I would like to point out Fox told us as late as March by their own anchors that Covid was a fraud.  Now onto article:
  • Saying it was in the US well over a year ago
  • Then saying it is the Democrats fault as the impeachment was going
  • Then saying that these samples were released purposely after the election
  • Then saying CDC hiding the information
  • Then saying WHO hiding information knowing the virus was going to be a problem for the US
  • Then saying Twitter in cahoots with CDC and WHO
  • Going on how people make fun of Church going people

My lord.  That is one confusing conspiracy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9222 on: December 03, 2020, 04:18:23 PM »
The article in Fox News by Carlson today with the title 'Covid is a Global Fraud' made my head hurt. So many confusing contradictions.  I noticed the article is a lot harder to find now.  Some things:

First I would like to point out Fox told us as late as March by their own anchors that Covid was a fraud.  Now onto article:
  • Saying it was in the US well over a year ago
  • Then saying it is the Democrats fault as the impeachment was going
  • Then saying that these samples were released purposely after the election
  • Then saying CDC hiding the information
  • Then saying WHO hiding information knowing the virus was going to be a problem for the US
  • Then saying Twitter in cahoots with CDC and WHO
  • Going on how people make fun of Church going people

My lord.  That is one confusing conspiracy.

You confused Tucker Carlson with news.  Just ignore that noise.

jesmu84

• All American

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9224 on: December 04, 2020, 05:35:18 AM »
For those keeping track, we have now removed the equivalent of Toledo from the US population.   

Holy Toledo!!!