collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127443 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8800 on: November 03, 2020, 12:27:20 PM »
Can we stop posting random COVID deaths? Every death is tragic, but it’s excessive and doesn’t change anything about the disease and it’s effects. If the death rate for a disease for a certain group is .0001%, highlighting that 1 in 10K and saying “see it’s very serious” is not helpful. We all know it’s not a joke and that we need to take precautions, but the key for young adults is preventing spread to others, not that they are going to be in the unfortunate super minority to pass away.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8801 on: November 03, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »
Can we stop posting random COVID deaths? Every death is tragic, but it’s excessive and doesn’t change anything about the disease and it’s effects. If the death rate for a disease for a certain group is .0001%, highlighting that 1 in 10K and saying “see it’s very serious” is not helpful. We all know it’s not a joke and that we need to take precautions, but the key for young adults is preventing spread to others, not that they are going to be in the unfortunate super minority to pass away.

Agree with the first statement that posting random deaths is excessive. That being said there's still people putting their head in the sand that it doesn't effect any young adults or youths. I think it's important to humanize those deaths as more than a statistical chance people keep saying we should take
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8802 on: November 03, 2020, 12:41:02 PM »
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services reported its highest number of COVID-19 deaths on Tuesday, with 67 deaths linked to the virus.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article246920692.html?ac_cid=DM315284&ac_bid=-1554633302

So, 9-10 months into this crisis, the nation's 10th largest state just set its single-day record for coronavirus deaths -- on the same day that millions of American voters are saying "yay" or "nay" to a president who repeatedly claims the country has "turned the corner" on COVID-19.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8803 on: November 03, 2020, 12:57:03 PM »

1) Empathy is never wrong. Perhaps you could use more of it in your life. Strange hill to die on.

2) "We all know it's not a joke and that we need to take precautions."  LMAO. Thanks for the laugh. 👍 Someone hasn't been paying attention.

3) "The key for young adults is preventing spread to others." This again of course is not going well.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8804 on: November 03, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
More important question: is arby's still around?

I hear they are buying up restaurants all around and hope to be known as America runs on Arby's.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8805 on: November 03, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services reported its highest number of COVID-19 deaths on Tuesday, with 67 deaths linked to the virus.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article246920692.html?ac_cid=DM315284&ac_bid=-1554633302

So, 9-10 months into this crisis, the nation's 10th largest state just set its single-day record for coronavirus deaths -- on the same day that millions of American voters are saying "yay" or "nay" to a president who repeatedly claims the country has "turned the corner" on COVID-19.

Never really thought about it much, but I never realized N.C. was the 10th largest state. Off the top of my head I would have guessed 15 - range.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8806 on: November 03, 2020, 01:25:31 PM »
1) Empathy is never wrong. Perhaps you could use more of it in your life. Strange hill to die on.

2) "We all know it's not a joke and that we need to take precautions."  LMAO. Thanks for the laugh. 👍 Someone hasn't been paying attention.

3) "The key for young adults is preventing spread to others." This again of course is not going well.

Wags is not your enemy. Dial it down.

I agree with him that we don't need to post every death. I also agree with Galway that because so many folks, including some of the highest-ranking people in the U.S. government, believe that youngsters are "immune," it is news when one dies. I also agree with Galway that it's important to put a face on some of these.

Wags wasn't dying on any hill. He stated an opinion, and he wasn't disrespectful to you or any other Scooper. Your line about his empathy, however, was out of line. He might be 10 times as empathetic as you are. You don't know because you don't know him, and nobody here knows you either. So don't make wild, baseless accusations or assumptions.

You and I often agree politically, but, as I said, dial it down please.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8807 on: November 03, 2020, 01:52:26 PM »
Wags is not your enemy. Dial it down.

I agree with him that we don't need to post every death. I also agree with Galway that because so many folks, including some of the highest-ranking people in the U.S. government, believe that youngsters are "immune," it is news when one dies. I also agree with Galway that it's important to put a face on some of these.

Wags wasn't dying on any hill. He stated an opinion, and he wasn't disrespectful to you or any other Scooper. Your line about his empathy, however, was out of line. He might be 10 times as empathetic as you are. You don't know because you don't know him, and nobody here knows you either. So don't make wild, baseless accusations or assumptions.

You and I often agree politically, but, as I said, dial it down please.

I agree, all we can go by, is what, and how, people post here and that is what I am going by.

It's pretty obvious that people, self included aren't just listing all several hundred thousand COVID-19 deaths. It's also pretty obvious people aren't listing a plethora of random COVID-19 deaths without particular meaning. Have we really reached the point of indifference in the COVID-19 thread?

Nothing is wild or needs to be dialed down.

I said his post lacked empathy. That is how it came across to me. It stood out because there have been very few specific death examples posted of the hundreds of thousands that have occurred thus far.

Nothing is wild or needs to be dialed down. It's a pretty calm matter of fact discussion. Perhaps take a bit of your own advice and not assume. I'm also quite sure I haven't ever told you how to post. 👍✌️

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:59:26 PM by shoothoops »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8808 on: November 03, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »

But what did they really die from?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #8809 on: November 04, 2020, 12:04:54 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54780460

Algorithm to detect ‘Covid cough’

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8810 on: November 04, 2020, 09:07:19 PM »
Over 100,000 new cases today. Deaths and hospitalizations now rising rapidly too.

President is hiding in his bunker, yelling at people to file more lawsuits to stop the vote, instead of maybe trying to do something about a growing medical crisis.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8811 on: November 04, 2020, 09:45:14 PM »
Over 100,000 new cases today. Deaths and hospitalizations now rising rapidly too.

President is hiding in his bunker, yelling at people to file more lawsuits to stop the vote, instead of maybe trying to do something about a growing medical crisis.

Just a guess, but I am guessing POTUS is so obsessed with suing states and stopping vote counts that anyone who tries to mention the pandemic will be kicked out of his office. IMO, yesterday was our last chance we had that he would do a damn thing about Covid.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #8812 on: November 04, 2020, 09:59:56 PM »

What medical crisis?  There can't be one - the Trump Administration said one of its accomplishments was ending the Covid-19 Pandemic:  https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000175-6bc5-d2df-adff-6fdfff5c0000

Being very sarcastic here as I don't for one second believe the Covid-19 pandemic is anywhere near over nor do I think the Trump administration did anything to address the pandemic either.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8813 on: November 04, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »

I find it very amusing that many of the people who called me out on my Covid rants are now saying almost exactly what I was saying.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8814 on: November 05, 2020, 12:15:54 PM »
The Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls was a popular choice for MTE's. But, with the uncontrolled spread in SD, thanks to Governor Noem, teams are pulling out.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8815 on: November 05, 2020, 12:26:17 PM »
https://www.thelocal.dk/20201105/denmark-to-restrict-north-jutland-borders-due-to-mink-coronavirus-outbreak

Well, this is terrifying.  Added the text.

Denmark to restrict North Jutland borders due to mink coronavirus outbreak
The Local
news@thelocal.dk
@thelocaldenmark
5 November 2020
11:01 CET+01:00
coronavirus
minks
Share this article
Jammerbugt is one of seven North Jutland municipalities to be encompassed by local restrictions due to a coronavirus mutation stemming from mink. Photo: Henning Bagger/Ritzau Scanpix
Authorities in Denmark are to ask residents in North Jutland not to leave their home municipalities due to concerns over the spread of a mutated form of coronavirus.

Seven municipalities with confirmed coronavirus cases in mink are to be encompassed by restrictions asking residents to remain within municipal limits as far as possible.

The municipalities affected by the order are Hjørring, Frederikshavn, Vesthimmerland, Brønderslev, Jammerbugt, Thisted and Læsø.

“We have to stop movement of residents across municipal borders. We need to find a model for this,” Per Bach Laursen, the mayor in the Vesthimmerland municipality, told Politiken.

Restaurants, sports and cultural activities are to be closed for the next four weeks, Laursen also told the newspaper.

Regional broadcaster TVMidtvest reports that there is unlikely to be any physical control of municipal borders, but that the government is still working to finalise measures. That is also based on comments from Laursen, the mayor in Vesthimmerland.

The intervention comes after the national government on Wednesday announced it would cull the entire population of minks at farms in Denmark.

The decision to cull up to 17 million animals was deemed unavoidable after a mutated version of the new coronavirus was detected at mink farms and then spread to people.

The mutation "could pose a risk that future (coronavirus) vaccines won't work the way they should," Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told a press conference, adding: "It is necessary to cull all the minks."

Laursen told broadcaster DR that people in the affected North Jutland municipalities should stay within the borders of the municipality in which they live and get a coronavirus test.

Anyone who tests positive for coronavirus in the affected municipalities will also be required to test for whether they have been infected with the normal strain or the variation from mink farms.

Schools and child care facilities will remain open, but adult education will be limited, according to the Danish media reports.

The restrictions will come into effect from tomorrow for an initial four weeks.

Twelve people were registered as infected with a mutated form of the coronavirus, news wire Ritzau reported on Wednesday, but the real number is likely to be far higher. Newspaper Information reported on Thursday that up to four or five percent of infections in North Jutland may be with the specific mink mutation of coronavirus that is concerning authorities.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8816 on: November 05, 2020, 12:40:59 PM »
Yep, good on Denmark for making a big decision so quickly

> a mutated version of the new coronavirus was detected at mink farms and then spread to people.

Pretty common for diseases to jump between an animal and a human population. Pretty rare for that same virus to mutate & jump to a completely new animal population and jump back to humans.

SARS COV jumped from bats, to humans, as well as himalayan palm civets & related carnivores. The rest of the study is beyond me - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2546865/

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8817 on: November 05, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »
https://www.thelocal.dk/20201105/denmark-to-restrict-north-jutland-borders-due-to-mink-coronavirus-outbreak

Well, this is terrifying.  Added the text.

if anyone out there wants to get their significant others a mink coat it looks like prices are going to be coming down.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8818 on: November 05, 2020, 01:11:34 PM »
if anyone out there wants to get their significant others a mink coat it looks like prices are going to be coming down.

That's actually been a question of mine - are they sill gonna use the pelts?   I'd guess not since the process exposes bodily fluids to humans.  If so...prices might actually rise.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8819 on: November 05, 2020, 03:51:58 PM »
That's actually been a question of mine - are they sill gonna use the pelts?   I'd guess not since the process exposes bodily fluids to humans.  If so...prices might actually rise.

Hmmm, sound like Kim is getting a mink coat to stay with Don Jr. a little longer.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8820 on: November 05, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »
Hmmm, sound like Kim is getting a mink coat to stay with Don Jr. a little longer.

Lol.  I guess minky fluids would be more correct, but your point remains. :)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8821 on: November 05, 2020, 05:29:50 PM »
U.S. has become the first country to top 100,000 coronavirus cases in a day.

We are doomed.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8822 on: November 05, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
U.S. has become the first country to top 100,000 coronavirus cases in a day.

We are doomed.

Great. Still 'winning'....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8823 on: November 05, 2020, 05:56:13 PM »

Great. Still 'winning'....

Rounding the corner.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8824 on: November 05, 2020, 06:21:01 PM »
Rounding the corner.

I believe everyone misheard.  It was "We're rounding (up) the coroner"

feedback