collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127401 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7625 on: July 27, 2020, 03:13:02 PM »
Trump national security advisor Robert O’Brien tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/27/coronavirus-trump-national-security-advisor-robert-obrien-tests-positive.html

Wanna know the most frightening thing about this? 

In every other administration, the Nat’l Security advisor spends more time with the president than any other person in the WH. Trump said today that he wasn’t worried that he caught it because he hadn’t talked to O’Brien for days.

That is both stunning and scary. But then this a a guy who openly said he gets his intelligence from Putin.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7626 on: July 27, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »
If I'm reading correctly, there are no league protocols.  MLB has no guidelines about when to shut down.  This is exactly why each team is a carrying a 30 man taxi squad. The players voted to not cancel the game.

Are you saying that MLB has zero plans to deal with an outbreak? That they are leaving decisions up to players?

I think not.

Jockey

• All American

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7629 on: July 27, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »
If I'm reading correctly, there are no league protocols.  MLB has no guidelines about when to shut down.  This is exactly why each team is a carrying a 30 man taxi squad. The players voted to not cancel the game. 

But did positive tested players play?  The f so that’s a problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7630 on: July 27, 2020, 03:49:15 PM »

The return to play agreement gives Manfred the authority to suspend or cancel games. The question here is whether he was informed of the Marlins' circumstances.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7631 on: July 27, 2020, 03:50:21 PM »
But did positive tested players play?  The f so that’s a problem.

No, the ones who had received positive tests before the game didn't play.  The remaining players, armed with the knowledge that in 72 hours 4 teammates had tested positive, voted to keep playing.  There is no MLB protocol that decides when a team is too infected to play. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:58:09 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

• All American
« Reply #7632 on: July 27, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
No the ones who had received positive tests before the game didn't play.  The remaining players, armed with the knowledge that in 72 hours 4 teammates had tested positive, voted to keep playing.  There is no MLB protocol that decides when a team is too infected to play. 

Ah ok. Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7633 on: July 27, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »
No, the ones who had received positive tests before the game didn't play.  The remaining players, armed with the knowledge that in 72 hours 4 teammates had tested positive, voted to keep playing.  There is no MLB protocol that decides when a team is too infected to play.

So back to my original comment...they didn't prepare for this possibility (probability?).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7634 on: July 27, 2020, 04:11:36 PM »
IMHO comparisons of typical places of employment just aren't that applicable to pro sports teams.  The manner in which teammates interact with each other, the amount of time they spend together, etc., makes stopping spread within teams damn near impossible. I would guess that home depot or sbux or any of the other comparisons we're using have largely called off big all-staff meetings.  Pro sports teams have at least 2  all-team meetings in the locker rooms each day, not to mention they are eating and showering together - the nature of a locker room is just much more conducive to spread than almost any other scenario. 

Each time you're close to another person is a rona lottery ticket, and pro athletes are holding more lottery tickets than just about any other profession, and they're going to have their numbers called more often.  Even if the comparisons are a matter of degree more than type, viral transmission is a matter of degree, too.

Agreed. Pro sports is clearly a business, but it’s dramatically different from businesses that sell food or home repair supplies.

After thinking about this some more...if people want a better comparison to the MLB scenario, look at what happens when an NBA player leaves the bubble and wants back in. Lou Williams had to quarantine for 10 days. So maybe both the Marlins and Phillies should quarantine for 10 days, and either postpone the games for later or use their replacement squads during the interim.

If the MLB just carries on as though nothing happened, imagine what might happen as soon as teams start playing games in Miami or LA or Houston.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7635 on: July 27, 2020, 04:16:45 PM »
More than 75% of recovered COVID-19 patients report new heart problems:

https://twitter.com/JAMACardio/status/1287781465015672836?s=19

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/new-heart-problems-seen-in-recovered-covid-19-patients/article_30ed9771-6c6d-59bf-a59e-a6b0093b4b82.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

First evidence on CT scans that a huge percentage of asymptomatic “recovered“ patients have clear evidence of lung scarring, and now this.

This is quickly turning into the Hiroshima, Nagasaki or Chernobyl of the new millennium. Lots of people die quickly, but even the “survivors” live with physical and emotional consequences for decades to come.

Just the flu, huh?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7636 on: July 27, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »
More than 75% of recovered COVID-19 patients report new heart problems:

https://twitter.com/JAMACardio/status/1287781465015672836?s=19

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/new-heart-problems-seen-in-recovered-covid-19-patients/article_30ed9771-6c6d-59bf-a59e-a6b0093b4b82.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

But again, nobody under the age of 45, nearly all of the participants were over “normal” BMI of 24ish, and there was a good amount of smokers, nearly double the ratio of the population that is diabetic, and similar over representation of asthma.

Not downplaying the risks or effects, but taking that population and turning into “75% of COVID patients have heart problems” is irresponsible and dramatic.

And let’s pump the brakes on still developing results of a virus (which could get worse in some patients or may be remedied in some patients with time) being compared to profound radiation poisoning and genetic birth defects crippling populations for a generation or more. When 25 year olds that have recovered from COVID start giving birth to babies with club feet and polydactyly in large numbers, then maybe it’s a comparison to make. Much less the trauma of Chernobyl

I understand your concern, but that’s a huge leap from some people with potential lung scarring. Let’s keep some perspective

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #7637 on: July 27, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »
First evidence on CT scans that a huge percentage of asymptomatic “recovered“ patients have clear evidence of lung scarring, and now this.

This is quickly turning into the Hiroshima, Nagasaki or Chernobyl of the new millennium. Lots of people die quickly, but even the “survivors” live with physical and emotional consequences for decades to come.

Just the flu, huh?

The news gets better every hour today.
Just to play the other side without an MRI would these have been found?  Could this condition have been in some prior or is there any link to those that now have the issue?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7638 on: July 27, 2020, 05:03:57 PM »

Just the flu, huh?

For the uninitiated, how do they guard against preexisting conditions in this kind of a study? Obviously if there are documented instances, but I imagine most people of this age wouldn't know if they had any sort of heart issue unless they suffered some traumatic event that alerted them to it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7639 on: July 27, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »

I’ll trust that you are correct, but doesn’t that highlight the problem?

So the protocol says it is OK for players who know they have been exposed to play. IMO, Manfred is far and away the worst commissioner in sports, but this is so far over the line that you have to wonder how bad it will get.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7640 on: July 27, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »
For the uninitiated, how do they guard against preexisting conditions in this kind of a study? Obviously if there are documented instances, but I imagine most people of this age wouldn't know if they had any sort of heart issue unless they suffered some traumatic event that alerted them to it.

You are correct that most people would not know if they had asymptomatic lung or heart damage. However, studies of this sort often use 'historical controls'; that is, researchers compare the study results to scans from otherwise healthy patients (presumably with no evidence of COVID) that have been 'matched' to the study population. So if the study population are all between age 20-40 and have a known incidence of smoking, obesity, etc, the researchers would look at scans from a similar 'historical' group.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7641 on: July 27, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
Anyone notice that Herman Cain is still in the hospital? His twitter feed (posted by others) had updates on his condition for a little while, but crickets for the last week. No media coverage at all.

Still in the hospital. Still on oxygen. Trying to repair lung damage.

Still against masks, I presume.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7642 on: July 27, 2020, 05:31:05 PM »
But again, nobody under the age of 45, nearly all of the participants were over “normal” BMI of 24ish, and there was a good amount of smokers, nearly double the ratio of the population that is diabetic, and similar over representation of asthma.

Not downplaying the risks or effects, but taking that population and turning into “75% of COVID patients have heart problems” is irresponsible and dramatic.

And let’s pump the brakes on still developing results of a virus (which could get worse in some patients or may be remedied in some patients with time) being compared to profound radiation poisoning and genetic birth defects crippling populations for a generation or more. When 25 year olds that have recovered from COVID start giving birth to babies with club feet and polydactyly in large numbers, then maybe it’s a comparison to make. Much less the trauma of Chernobyl

I understand your concern, but that’s a huge leap from some people with potential lung scarring. Let’s keep some perspective

I’m just the messenger. I merely presented the information flatly. It was also literally the first paragraph in the Reuters piece. And, JAMA Cardiology stated 60% had myocardial inflammation regardless of pre-existing conditions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:36:00 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7643 on: July 27, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »
I’m just the messenger. I merely presented the information flatly. It was also  literally the first paragraph in the Reuters piece. And, JAMA Cardiology stated 60% had myocardial inflammation regardless of pre-existing conditions.

I wasn’t taking a shot at you personally. I just have a problem with a lot of the “percentage reporting” lately. Using rates and statistics in populations that are heavily skewed to a certain demographic and then blanket extrapolating it to the entire US population to get wildly inflated projections. I’m of the belief that reporting like that doesn’t produce an abundance of caution as much as it causes people, that weren’t already gravely concerned and overly cautious, to further disregard it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7644 on: July 27, 2020, 05:43:49 PM »
Absolutely ZERO agenda from this foreign doctor either way, just speaking out and giving information

https://twitter.com/fleccas/status/1287846643417657344?s=20
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7645 on: July 27, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »
Absolutely ZERO agenda from this foreign doctor either way, just speaking out and giving information

Any comment on how you don’t understand 7th grade math?

• All American
« Reply #7646 on: July 27, 2020, 06:14:25 PM »

<sigh>

This is exactly why we aren't getting better.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7647 on: July 27, 2020, 06:39:27 PM »

How do you know she has zero agenda? Have you verified her stock holdings? Bank account transactions? Etc

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7648 on: July 27, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »

Dr. Stella is definitely the person to call if you have Family Line Witchcraft or need to Rid Yourself of your Spirit Husband.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7649 on: July 27, 2020, 06:55:26 PM »
Dr. Stella is definitely the person to call if you have Family Line Witchcraft or need to Rid Yourself of your Spirit Husband.

I am beginning to believe that guru is just stringing us along. No way can anyone post so many easily shot down things without it being intentional trolling.