collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1127399 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6600 on: June 17, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »
Checking in on Florida:

https://twitter.com/MikeVorkunov/status/1272924457393442818?s=19
Florida health care worker, 15 friends contract COVID-19 at bar
https://nypost.com/2020/06/16/florida-healthcare-worker-15-friends-catch-covid-19-at-bar/
A Mayo Clinic worker who stayed indoors for months in Florida to avoid getting the coronavirus says she finally broke quarantine to go to a bar with pals earlier this month — leaving her and 15 of her friends with the contagion.

“The first night we go out — Murphy’s Law, I guess,” Erika Crisp, a 40-year-old health care worker from Jacksonville.

Lynch's hasn't been cleaned since it opened 2+ decades ago.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6601 on: June 17, 2020, 08:46:26 AM »
Florida health care worker, 15 friends contract COVID-19 at bar
https://nypost.com/2020/06/16/florida-healthcare-worker-15-friends-catch-covid-19-at-bar/
A Mayo Clinic worker who stayed indoors for months in Florida to avoid getting the coronavirus says she finally broke quarantine to go to a bar with pals earlier this month — leaving her and 15 of her friends with the contagion.

“The first night we go out — Murphy’s Law, I guess,” Erika Crisp, a 40-year-old health care worker from Jacksonville.

Lynch's hasn't been cleaned since it opened 2+ decades ago.

Unfortunate, but predictable.

IMHO we need stories like this to be publicized. If POTUS and our governors don’t have the common sense or political will to keep people from congregating in close spaces where social distancing and masks aren’t practical, maybe fear will keep people away.

It sucks for businesses that rely on close social interaction - like bars, restaurants and entertainment venues – but if we want offices and other businesses to stay open, it would be smart to keep the “social interaction” places limited or closed.

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #6602 on: June 17, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »
To me, June thru September is when the Southern states will be most vulnerability to virus spikes.  First, there's a lot more businesses, restaurants, bars, etc. that are open than there were 2 months ago so that will contribute to spread.  Second, the weather in the South is going to force more people indoors as the heat gets so great in some cases that being outside for a long time is not an option.  Heck, I think I saw Phoenix has a projected high temp of 110 degrees this weekend.  You just can't be outside for long with temps like that.

I think what hit the northern states as they had more people staying indoors in March and April is now hitting the Southern states more since more people are forced to be indoors longer.  So far it hasn't been catastrophic but we'll just have to see if the Southern half of the U.S. ends up with a strong wave of cases during the intense heat months.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6603 on: June 17, 2020, 09:54:11 AM »
Either China is way over-reacting to the Beijing outbreak or it is much larger and more extensive than being written (i think the latter). 

As an example I just saw a datapoint that Beijing airline departures were down 40% yesterday.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6604 on: June 17, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »
Either China is way over-reacting to the Beijing outbreak or it is much larger and more extensive than being written (i think the latter). 

As an example I just saw a datapoint that Beijing airline departures were down 40% yesterday.

Based on supply chain impacts I'm seeing, it's more extensive than reported. I suspect that a certain someone with access to images from Keyhole satellites might find a way to leak the ELINT on China to the media.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6606 on: June 17, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »
While studies continue to show that wearing masks will greatly reduce transmissions, here's what we're up against.

Rex Chapman🏇🏼 @RexChapman
Come for the crazy. Stay for the butchering of “God Bless America”...pic.twitter.com/X0etGOt7QB

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6607 on: June 17, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
Rex Chapman🏇🏼 @RexChapman
Come for the crazy. Stay for the butchering of “God Bless America”...pic.twitter.com/X0etGOt7QB

I think the foam replies are the best.

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6609 on: June 17, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
I'm concerned by the continued underreporting of cases, hospitalizations, and even deaths, particularly amongst elderly individuals in care facilities. In some locales, they will not include these in local numbers, that ultimately get reported to the states, because they are not residents of the location where their case, hospitalization/death occurred.

Essentially no-one wants to include these people in their numbers, and since there is no formal enforcement of including them, they essentially never get counted.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6610 on: June 17, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »
I'm concerned by the continued underreporting of cases, hospitalizations, and even deaths, particularly amongst elderly individuals in care facilities. In some locales, they will not include these in local numbers, that ultimately get reported to the states, because they are not residents of the location where their case, hospitalization/death occurred.

Essentially no-one wants to include these people in their numbers, and since there is no formal enforcement of including them, they essentially never get counted.

I share your concern, but the only state I had heard of where this was documented to be occurring was Florida. Are you aware of other states where this is happening?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6611 on: June 17, 2020, 01:20:11 PM »

I share your concern, but the only state I had heard of where this was documented to be occurring was Florida. Are you aware of other states where this is happening?

WA I believe...the out of state issue

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6612 on: June 17, 2020, 01:26:44 PM »
Serious stuff: Infection rates and hospitalizations are climbing fast in North Carolina's largest county, Mecklenburg (where Charlotte is) and two large neighboring counties.

Also of big-time concern:

“Over the last two weeks, we have seen a dramatic drop in the average age of death due to COVID-19 related illness, from 83 years old to 39,” said CHA Health Director Dr. Bonnie Coyle. “Deaths among younger populations, along with our rapidly growing case count are extremely concerning as we approach the tentative start of Phase 3 Reopening and the July 4th holiday.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article243599287.html?

Coronavirus cases in Mecklenburg and two neighboring counties have increased over the past two weeks, concerning leaders who say the trend cannot be attributed solely to additional testing.

In Mecklenburg County, 95 new cases were reported Wednesday morning by state health officials, bringing the total number of cases since mid-March to 7,563. As of late Tuesday, 134 people with COVID-19 have died locally. An average of 11% of individuals who were tested were positive during the past week — an increase over the last 14 days, according to health officials.

Leaders in Gaston County say there’s been a “sharp increase,” suggesting “COVID-19 is spreading rapidly in the area,” according to a news release Tuesday. Warnings from health officials in the region come as North Carolinians move further away from the state’s now-expired stay-at-home order and more businesses are permitted to reopen and expand capacity.

Gaston County saw a 312% increase in positive COVID-19 tests between May 30 and June 12, the release states.

“During that same period, the percentage of positive tests out of total tests increased from 5.14% to 11.17%,” according to Gaston officials.

The county has also seen a rise in hospitalizations in the time period — “from single digits in mid-May to more than 20 over the past week.” Officials are warning the public to wear masks, wash hands frequently and continue social distancing while being “vigilant.”

State health officials reported a total of 576 cases and nine deaths in Gaston County, as of Wednesday.

In Cabarrus County, 184 new cases were reported between June 5 and June 15, bringing the county’s total to 740. Another data point worrying health officials — the percent of positive tests — has increased in recent weeks to nearly 10% between May 31 and June 6, Cabarrus County reported.

The county’s health alliance has called it a “steep climb” and renewed calls for people to wear masks in public.

A total of 27 people in the county have died from COVID-19, according to the Cabarrus Health Alliance on Tuesday. Most were people age 70 or older and most were connected to nursing homes or long-term care facilities. But, health officials say, two of the most recent deaths were people in their 20s and one person who was in their 40s.

Statewide, the Department of Health and Human Services reported 1,002 new cases on Wednesday, for a total of 46,855. North Carolina saw 14 more deaths, for a total of 1,168.

Health officials in Mecklenburg, Gaston and Cabarrus counties have all said in recent days they’re concerned about the trends corresponding with less social distancing.

North Carolina’s reopening Phase Three would allow for increased capacity at bars, restaurants and entertainment venues and is set to begin on June 26. State officials, though, have not formally announced the next phase will occur on that timeline.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6613 on: June 17, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure Texas does this also, so if a patient at a care facility in Houston, actually lives in Austin, they can be excluded from Houston's and the corresponding counties official numbers. In theory this is supposed to be transferred to Austin, but given the poor administration of how numbers are tracked and government ineptitude, lots of cases slip through the cracks.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6614 on: June 17, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »
 I see a common theme in all the states with issues.  The curve was never flattened.  Maybe Washington was but their cases seemed to go up and down weekly

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6615 on: June 17, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
I see a common theme in all the states with issues.  The curve was never flattened.  Maybe Washington was but their cases seemed to go up and down weekly

Yep. The plan put forth by CDC called for reopening to begin only after the curve had flattened (reflected in the 14-day criterion). I’m not sure there is a single state the truly waited for that milestone.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6616 on: June 17, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »
This is why national leadership matters (Sorry if Wags and Sultan are offended).

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/06/montgomery-city-council-kills-face-mask

Montgomery, Alabama is probably the worst-hit area in the deep south, so the relatively benign call for a face mask ordinance and then a rejection of it left some doctors appalled at a city council meeting last night. Several walked out in disgust.

Montgomery hospitals are at near capacity right now, with the coronavirus pandemic hitting African-Americans especially hard. The vote was along racial lines, the black council members in support, the white council members against. The city is about 60% African-American.

Jackson Hospital pulmonologist William Saliski cleared his throat as he started describing the dire situation created by the coronavirus pandemic in Montgomery to its City Council before they voted on a mandatory mask ordinance. "It's been a long day, I apologize," he said.

"The units are full with critically-ill COVID patients," Saliski said. About 90% of them are Black. He said hospitals are able to manage for now, but it's not sustainable. "This mask slows that down, 95% protection from something as easy as cloth. ... If this continues the way it's going, we will be overrun."

More doctors followed him to the microphone, describing the dead being carried out within 30 minutes of each other, and doctors being disturbed when people on the street ask them if the media is lying about the pandemic as part of a political ploy.

After they spoke, and before the council voted on a proposal by Councilman C.C. Calhoun to mandate mask-wearing in public in Montgomery, Councilman Brantley Lyons questioned whether masks and six-foot distancing really helps. They do, the doctors replied. Lyons was unmoved. "At the end of the day, if an illness or a pandemic comes through we do not throw our constitutional rights out the window," Lyons said.

From the crowd, doctors called for him to visit the hospital sometime.

Instead, the council killed the ordinance after it failed to pass in a 4-4 tie, mostly along racial lines, with Councilman Tracy Larkin absent. Councilman Clay McInnis voted with three Black council members — Calhoun, Oronde Mitchell and Audrey Graham — in favor of the ordinance. Lyons, Charles Jinright, Richard Bollinger and Glen Pruitt voted against it.

A trio of doctors, who had waited hours to speak, got up and left the chamber in disgust. "Unbelievable," Saliski said.

One of the council members said he'd lost six family members to COVID-19. William Boyd, one of several people who spoke in favor of the ordinance, said he's lost six family members to COVID-19. "The question on the table is whether Black lives matter," Boyd said before the vote.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6617 on: June 17, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
The city council’s response to the situation in Montgomery is completely irresponsible, but it seems to reflect the general attitude in the state. As the Governor was dragging her feet before issuing a stay at home order, she said “we are not California.“

Indeed.

Alabama currently has higher per capita infection and death rates than California, despite the fact that the population density in CA is 2.5x that in AL. Oof!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6618 on: June 17, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
The city council’s response to the situation in Montgomery is completely irresponsible, but it seems to reflect the general attitude in the state. As the Governor was dragging her feet before issuing a stay at home order, she said “we are not California.“

Indeed.

Alabama currently has higher per capita infection and death rates than California, despite the fact that the population density in CA is 2.5x that in AL. Oof!

Roll Tide!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6619 on: June 17, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
So in these "masks rob us of freedom" states, do they go barefoot and topless into restaurants?

"Eff y'all if you think we be payin' attention to 'No shoes, no shirt, no service' signs!"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6620 on: June 17, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »
This is why national leadership matters (Sorry if Wags and Sultan are offended).

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/06/montgomery-city-council-kills-face-mask

Montgomery, Alabama is probably the worst-hit area in the deep south, so the relatively benign call for a face mask ordinance and then a rejection of it left some doctors appalled at a city council meeting last night. Several walked out in disgust.

Montgomery hospitals are at near capacity right now, with the coronavirus pandemic hitting African-Americans especially hard. The vote was along racial lines, the black council members in support, the white council members against. The city is about 60% African-American.

Jackson Hospital pulmonologist William Saliski cleared his throat as he started describing the dire situation created by the coronavirus pandemic in Montgomery to its City Council before they voted on a mandatory mask ordinance. "It's been a long day, I apologize," he said.

"The units are full with critically-ill COVID patients," Saliski said. About 90% of them are Black. He said hospitals are able to manage for now, but it's not sustainable. "This mask slows that down, 95% protection from something as easy as cloth. ... If this continues the way it's going, we will be overrun."

More doctors followed him to the microphone, describing the dead being carried out within 30 minutes of each other, and doctors being disturbed when people on the street ask them if the media is lying about the pandemic as part of a political ploy.

After they spoke, and before the council voted on a proposal by Councilman C.C. Calhoun to mandate mask-wearing in public in Montgomery, Councilman Brantley Lyons questioned whether masks and six-foot distancing really helps. They do, the doctors replied. Lyons was unmoved. "At the end of the day, if an illness or a pandemic comes through we do not throw our constitutional rights out the window," Lyons said.

From the crowd, doctors called for him to visit the hospital sometime.

Instead, the council killed the ordinance after it failed to pass in a 4-4 tie, mostly along racial lines, with Councilman Tracy Larkin absent. Councilman Clay McInnis voted with three Black council members — Calhoun, Oronde Mitchell and Audrey Graham — in favor of the ordinance. Lyons, Charles Jinright, Richard Bollinger and Glen Pruitt voted against it.

A trio of doctors, who had waited hours to speak, got up and left the chamber in disgust. "Unbelievable," Saliski said.

One of the council members said he'd lost six family members to COVID-19. William Boyd, one of several people who spoke in favor of the ordinance, said he's lost six family members to COVID-19. "The question on the table is whether Black lives matter," Boyd said before the vote.

The Montgomery mayor just issued an executive order requiring face masks be worn in public. $25 fine for those who are caught in violation of the order.

https://www.wsfa.com/2020/06/17/montgomery-mayor-calls-covid-news-conference/?fbclid=IwAR3QH5XIcc2mxRl5WKWG0bPsouZ_qY2GXfRR2OOEfj4LEBcc_XGExNmeDBw

shoothoops

• All American

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6622 on: June 18, 2020, 05:24:33 AM »
So in these "masks rob us of freedom" states, do they go barefoot and topless into restaurants?

"Eff y'all if you think we be payin' attention to 'No shoes, no shirt, no service' signs!"

Back here in Connecticut people have been hanging "No shirt, No shoes, No mask, No service." signs up.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6623 on: June 18, 2020, 08:13:51 AM »
Honestly the people who don't want to wear masks simply don't want to wear masks.  And instead of saying "I'm selfish and don't care about you," are using freedom and rights language instead.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6624 on: June 18, 2020, 08:35:14 AM »
Honestly the people who don't want to wear masks simply don't want to wear masks.  And instead of saying "I'm selfish and don't care about you," are using freedom and rights language instead.

The people that won't wear masks are a mix of those you mention, meaning those who are aware, snd are selfish and don't care, and tribal Trump/GOP followers.